PDA

View Full Version : Killing Yourself

walk_man
14-07-07, 21:00
Have you ever considered it ?

I have, when I was bullied to the point where I couldn't sleep because of the fear.

I eventually got over it and now I'm probably the most happiest person ever lol.

Sorry if this thread seems horrible and puts people down. If it does, close it.

Lenochka
14-07-07, 21:03
yes, i think everyone has at one point...

2kool4u
14-07-07, 21:09
Thats soo damn selfish. You are better than that, speaking in general. I lost a freind because she killed herself. To this day almost a year since her death i did not see that coming.

Alive_and_Funky
14-07-07, 21:12
Not at all. Even if I did want to, I'd probably chicken out of doing it. I've got quite a few life-goals, so I feel like I've got a lot to live for. :)
I wouldn't want to hurt anyone either.

MiCkiZ88
14-07-07, 21:16
I have, when I was bullied to the point where I couldn't sleep because of the fear.

Ditto =/ But as you can see I got over it aswell.. thanks to my parents.

Mad Tony
14-07-07, 21:17
Nope. I've never considered such a thing. I don't think I'll ever consider it either. Like AaF, I think I have a lot to live for. :)

Personally I think suicide is for cowards. Unless, the person committing suicide is in severe pain.

Paperdoll
14-07-07, 21:18
^I think their cowards in one way but also full of courage in another. Not everyone has what it takes to take one's life. But then again if you have the guts to take your own life, why not use that and confront your problems?

Catapharact
14-07-07, 21:19
Kill myself?

And deprive this forum of a good load of flame flilled sarcastic tongue lashing?

Pfft... I am not letting you ppl off that easy.

Mad Tony
14-07-07, 21:19
But then again if you have the guts to take your own life, why not use that and confront your problems?
Exactly. I also think it's quite selfish as well, hurting their loved ones. Unless of course the person is in severe pain.

Ikas90
14-07-07, 21:20
I've never considered committing suicide... There's no point in doing that, and it's just a complete waste of one's life.

Hyper_Crazy
14-07-07, 21:21
I've considered killing myself, I've tried killing myself.

Paperdoll
14-07-07, 21:21
Mad Tony: That last line made me giggle, sorry XD bit of a deja vu, stop ending your post with it! XD I think it's selfish as well, no matter what I believe there's always at least one person that will miss you, at least I'm lucky enough to know that about myself. It's a really complicated subject.

Mad Tony
14-07-07, 21:22
I've considered killing myself, I've tried killing myself.Not being harsh here, but did you consider how badly you would've hurt your family and friends had you killed yourself?

Tomb-Raider
14-07-07, 21:23
I've considered killing myself, I've tried killing myself.

how?

2kool4u
14-07-07, 21:24
I've never considered committing suicide... There's no point in doing that, and it's just a complete waste of one's life.

and money to lol jk :p

Hyper_Crazy
14-07-07, 21:24
Not being harsh here, but did you consider how badly you would've hurt your family and friends had you killed yourself?

Yes, and that's why I decided not to do it.

how?

I'm not saying.

vespertea
14-07-07, 21:25
I've considered it once or twice, but have never planned anything out. I eventually got out of whatever rut I was in, and now I'm fine.

Mad Tony
Yes, and that's why I decided not to do it.Oh, ok. I assumed that when you said tried you meant tried and failed.

tweetygwee
Killing myself? Never even close. To me, however bad things get it doesn't matter anyway, sadness is just another part of happiness.

Rickéh
No, I never thought of it.
I've lost a friend who commited suicide though maybe you know her because I posted a thread about her few months ago.
Her name was Nina. :(

Paperdoll
14-07-07, 21:26
how?

I think that question is a bit.. inappropriate.

Mad Tony
No, I never thought of it.
I've lost a friend who commited suicide though maybe you know her because I posted a thread about her few months ago.
Her name was Nina. :(Yeah, I remember that thread. :(

This is why I don't agree with suicide. You're just one of the people her suicide has affected. Imagine how bad it must be for her parents.

Mr.Burns
^I think their cowards in one way but also full of courage in another. Not everyone has what it takes to take one's life. But then again if you have the guts to take your own life, why not use that and confront your problems?

For some, the sense of pain and despair is so severe that they can't see any possible path out of the darkness and see suicide as the only option. I personally don't agree with it as an option, there are always other options for life than suicide.

Tomb-Raider
14-07-07, 21:28
I think that question is a bit.. inappropriate.

I dont see how?

Im not asking how do you kill yourself because I wanna..

Jacob x5
14-07-07, 21:30

How can you say that? I haven't. Why would I kill myself? Surely living is always better than not living, not matter how bad life is, because life is all there is.

Paperdoll
For some, the sense of pain and despair is so severe that they can't see any possible path out of the darkness and see suicide as the only option. I personally don't agree with it as an option, there are always other options for life than suicide.

True but still, it takes alot to leave everything behind and take your life. It makes my stomach sick just thinking of it. I know people who have commited suicide for reasons that if it was me in that situation, I wouldn't take the "easy" (and I use that term loosely) way out. But people are different with different levels of strength. I've had to talk someone out of it so I somewhat know what the level of despair is. But I also think life is what you make of it, however some think that stuff just falls on their laps, hence when something goes wrong, all hell breaks loose. Like I said, different people.

I dont see how?

Sorry if I don't think it's appropriate to ask someone that considered suicide how they were going to do it :rolleyes:

Catapharact
I dont see how?

But is it even viable to ask such a question online? Not to mention in a public forum?

Jacob x5
14-07-07, 21:33
Not being harsh here, but did you consider how badly you would've hurt your family and friends had you killed yourself?

Sorry, Mad Tony, but I think when someone wants to kill themselves such things aren't going to matter, because even if they love their family and friends, they'll be dead soon. The world doesn't exist when one is dead. I think people will be considering how much they will keep on hurting if they stay alive, not how much everyone else will be hurting if they don't.

Mad Tony
14-07-07, 21:35
Sorry, Mad Tony, but I think when someone wants to kill themselves such things aren't going to matter, because even if they love their family and friends, they'll be dead soon. The world doesn't exist when one is dead. I think people will be considering how much they will keep on hurting if they stay alive, not how much everyone else will be hurting if they don't.But that is pretty selfish, not caring for your loved ones just because you wont be there.

Mr.Burns
14-07-07, 21:41
But that is pretty selfish, not caring for your loved ones just because you wont be there.It's easy to say that without truly knowing the pain and suffering some people have endured. When one is suffering so much that it encompasses every waking moment, they only want a way for it to end and they don't care about anything else except some sort of release. It may be selfish but to them, it's a chance for peace because they can't see past their suffering.

Jacob x5
14-07-07, 21:41
But that is pretty selfish, not caring for your loved ones just because you wont be there.

I'm sure they do care for them, but consider this: if someone is going through a time so traumatic that they have been reduced to considering suicide, I really don't think having people call them 'selfish' is going to help at all, if not encourage them.

Mad Tony
14-07-07, 21:43
I'm sure they do care for them, but consider this: if someone is going through a time so traumatic that they have been reduced to considering suicide, I really don't think having people call them 'selfish' is going to help at all, if not encourage them.That still doesn't excuse the fact that the act is selfish. They may not be selfish, but the act is.

laralauraxxx
14-07-07, 21:50
Mmm... yeah once last year when my hormones where all over the place, i had tonnes of homework, my dad said he was moving to germany etc etc it all came at once and i didn;t think i could take it. But i did :)

Woop Legend!
14-07-07, 21:54
I have never considered it.

I wouldn't judge someone on their decision or contemplation of doing so. It is not my place. I have no real idea what everyone is going through but myself.

Fraaadrik
14-07-07, 22:05
nvm.

ashnar
14-07-07, 22:15
I've suffered alot and ended up a loner, but I've never considered it. I have had some problems with self punishment. I would end up locking myself doindg nothing for fun in my room simply cause my parents didn't like my quietness. I wasn't allowed to cry, I was supossed to be the perfect little child, smiling and cheerful, which I'm not. Everything used to fall on my head. But then I realised that those that give s*** about me don't deserve to see me lowering myself so I stopped. I used to be harrassed and humiliated, but I've grown tough and cold( still sensitive, but I tend to stay detached of the people that suround me, family etc). Now I try to teach my coleagues to avoid situations such as these.

Legends
14-07-07, 22:22
No I haven't. A girl I knew killed herself two years ago, and her best friend died in a car accident May this year. I didn’t know him though. By killing yourself you accomplish nothing, just leave everyone that loved you to suffer.

Angel666
14-07-07, 22:25
No I have never had suicidal thoughts. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I think its cowardly.

Noodleboy
14-07-07, 22:28
Considered it couple of times, never tried it

Joe_16
14-07-07, 22:29
No. It's the most cowardly thing anyone can do. It's a cop out.

As Silvestere Stallone as Rocky says in his new film:

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much can you take and keep moving forward.

remote91
14-07-07, 22:33
Thats an excellent quote.

Joe_16
14-07-07, 22:35
It's so true.

If any of my mates turned round to me and said they were considering suicide I would lose a hell of alot of respect for them. There's so many people in this world who have nothing.

Angel666
14-07-07, 22:40
I agree with you Joe. That's a great quote even though I'm not a Rocky fan, he's right.

Joe_16
14-07-07, 22:43
I also wouldn't have the bottle. If I ever did consider it, which I never will, it would have to be done quickly.

disapearing-boy
14-07-07, 23:10
That still doesn't excuse the fact that the act is selfish. They may not be selfish, but the act is.

I really have to agree that it is selfish, but having considered suicide at various points in my early teens I can say that it is sometimes the last thing on your mind, as horrible as that sounds.

I was so depressed I used to pray every night that I wouldn't wake up. Sleep was the only part of the day I looked forward to, it was like an escape. I even prayed to God, begging him to end the ENTIRE world as I all I could see was misery.
I was kind of an outcast, and I thought suicide would allow my tormentors understand the pain they caused me, and it would prevent them from hurting other people later in life.

But eventually I realised I was just giving in, letting them win, it's my life and i'm gonna come out on top in the end. And life does get better.. I may not be where I want to be in life (yet:D)... but that's WHY we live, to reach our goals and hopefully realise some of our dreams.

Having got throught that, everything else has felt easier in comparison but I must admit I wouldn't be who I am if it wasn't for the depression, as strange as that may seem to some... plus it gave me soooo much material to write songs with...

And finally my sincerest sympathy to anyone here who lost someone to suicide.

frostfur452
14-07-07, 23:17
I think everyone has contemplated the thought at least once through a difficult period. I used to think about doing it all the time when I had hit rock bottom.. The only thing scaring me out of it was leaving my parents behind (I am an only child) and that the pain I would go through had I not done the job properly and I was still around after the attempt.

It's just the easy way out. All you need is the right advice and the right kind of people around you and with some work you will eventually get through your hurdle in life.

lita212
14-07-07, 23:19
ive wanted to kill my self but didnt because it would not only hurt me but my loved ones aswell. i ended up self harming. thankfully i got help and havent done it since.

Joe_16
14-07-07, 23:20
I'm at the lowest point of my life ever at the minute. My girlfriend of two years left me, my education isn't going particuarly brilliantly when everyone around me is sucseeding. But what can you do? It's just the way it is sometimes.

bloodstormaoa
14-07-07, 23:21
:vlol: Some of you guys make me laugh!!!

Yeah, suicide is something I battle nearly every day.

Joe_16
14-07-07, 23:26
:vlol: Some of you guys make me laugh!!!

You being sarcastic here?

bloodstormaoa
14-07-07, 23:28
You being sarcastic here?

Not a bit. Why?

frostfur452
14-07-07, 23:29
<.< That's not being very considerate... Some people ARE finding life too difficult. It's not something to laugh about.

Joe_16
14-07-07, 23:31
Not a bit. Why?

Because you laughed at some of the comments made in this thread and then proceeded to say you think about doing it all the time.

bloodstormaoa
14-07-07, 23:32
Ok, allow me to explain myself!

I'm laughing at all those who obviously haven't a clue concerning the depths to which someone must sink before they consider suicide, yet quite easily label it "selfish" and "cowardly" etc...

It is something I try my best to deal with each day, and it takes a lot out of me to prevent suicidal tendencies from overwhelming me.

Understand?

MiCkiZ88
14-07-07, 23:33
My mom is like that.. She's been taking some medicine that makes her feel better.. but it makes her tired. Better tired than suecidal I guess. =/

frostfur452
14-07-07, 23:33
Because you laughed at some of the comments made in this thread and then proceeded to say you think about doing it all the time.

Yeah that's what I had thought too...

Tht's why I had commented on it.

My mom is like that.. She's been taking some medicine that makes her feel better.. but it makes her tired. Better tired than suecidal I guess. =/

Yes but just think, she won't have to take it forever. Things will eventually come right over time. =]

Edit: Sorry, double post.

Jacob x5
14-07-07, 23:36
Kill myself?

And deprive this forum of a good load of flame flilled sarcastic tongue lashing?

Pfft... I am not letting you ppl off that easy.

:vlol: :D

remote91
14-07-07, 23:37

Thats so sad to hear :( she can only get better :)

MiCkiZ88
14-07-07, 23:37
^ True.. and she is. Divorce and being an alcoholic didn't help few years ago though..
Yes but just think, she won't have to take it forever. Things will eventually come right over time. =]

Edit: Sorry, double post.

She's getting better as the situation in her life is getting better. New job, Boyfriend that cares and she's been loosing weight :) She's happier now.. but I just wish she wont hit the bottom again. She can be very depressed and think about death all the time then =/

bloodstormaoa
14-07-07, 23:39

Sorry to hear that :hug: Medication is no longer an option for me:)

Yeah that's what I had thought too...

Tht's why I had commented on it.

I have edited my previous post:)

Thorir
14-07-07, 23:40
Yes,I´ve tried it many times. But it is surprisingly difficult to kill yourself.

Joe_16
14-07-07, 23:40
Come to think of it i'm worried about one of my best mates at the minute.

He went from one day being fine to a complete mess. He always used to be such an optimist. Had life goals, wanted to make alot of money and travel the world. He has a girlfriend which to the best of my knowledge loved to bits.

A few months ago he quit his job and is now on medication because he is depressed. He never comes out for a drink anymore, always thinking of an excuse to why he can't come out. He told me he has been to the doctors about depression and is on medication. I've seen him a couple of times and he just looks totally spaced out. He stares at you like he's in a trance and never has anything to say. He used to be the life and soul of the party and now he's like this.

MiCkiZ88
14-07-07, 23:45
Sorry to hear that :hug: Medication is no longer an option for me:)

Just try to take one day at a time. There is always room for a better tomorrow (sounds so cliche, I know). :hug:
Come to think of it i'm worried about one of my best mates at the minute.

He went from one day being fine to a complete mess. He always used to be such an optimist. Had life goals, wanted to make alot of money and travel the world. He has a girlfriend which to the best of my knowledge loved to bits.

A few months ago he quit his job and is now on medication because he is depressed. He never comes out for a drink anymore, always thinking of an excuse to why he can't come out. He told me he has been to the doctors about depression and is on medication. I've seen him a couple of times and he just looks totally spaced out. He stares at you like he's in a trance and never has anything to say. He used to be the life and soul of the party and now he's like this.

Ugh! That doesn't sound really good. Perhaps you could try to talk with him.. like go to his place and have a deep chatter. Chatting about stuff always helps! I was depressed for over half an year.. but I got over my depression not because of professional help, but because of my friends. They came to see me even when I hadn't chatted with them for months! Friends are the best way to heal from depression, IMO.

Now I'm just worried about my friends rather than them being worried about me.

Joe_16
14-07-07, 23:48
We try quite regulary to find out what's the matter. We go round and try to get him to come out. He never answers his phone. When you ring his house phone his Dad will answer and tell me he's somewhere else when it's obvious he's not.

Lavinder
15-07-07, 00:17
I don't see killing myself as such a "SHOCK HORROR" thing because after all my life is just one of thousands of people and people die every single day - I do not see myself so important that I would need to make a big deal out of me killing myself.

I've thought about it before because I've let petty people get me down, and I'm very sensitive to family issues and felt my lowest when my mother attempted suicide.

I'm not one of those people who will sit there depressed when there are people about, I always put on a smile, may it be a real one or a fake one and I am always fun to be around.

I doubt I would ever kill myself, even though I do not find myself important, I know that my parents would probably break down - but if I knew no one would get hurt, then yes I would kill myself if I felt so :p

Paperdoll
15-07-07, 00:22

I'm laughing at all those who obviously haven't a clue concerning the depths to which someone must sink before they consider suicide, yet quite easily label it "selfish" and "cowardly" etc...

It is something I try my best to deal with each day, and it takes a lot out of me to prevent suicidal tendencies from overwhelming me.

Understand?

Best example of what I said. It can be seen as cowardly and very courageous as well. Hopefully you have the strength to cope with it and that just shows how none of us can actually say anything about this subject without going through it. Myself, I've never been full on suicidal. Close, a few years ago, but I don't have the courage in me to do it, only to get out of it, thank god.

vespertea
15-07-07, 00:46

Understand?

I agree with you, bloodstormaoa. I think it's funny how people flippantly toss around the term "coward" for anyone who struggles with, or has committed, suicide. I can understand the concept of someone being cowardly by "taking the easy way out," but I'm pretty sure that if pain and sorrow have pushed you to the point of wanting to end your own life, nothing is "easy." I think that's a shallow way to look at the subject and its victims. Half the time I think the people who end up committing it are courageous -- they have the guts to do something that most people don't. How's that for cowardly?

I respect the dead. Calling someone who's been tormented into suicide a selfish coward is not respectful, no matter how much pain they've caused.

bloodstormaoa
15-07-07, 00:56
Best example of what I said. It can be seen as cowardly and very courageous as well. Hopefully you have the strength to cope with it and that just shows how none of us can actually say anything about this subject without going through it. Myself, I've never been full on suicidal. Close, a few years ago, but I don't have the courage in me to do it, only to get out of it, thank god.

I knew you would quote me! :p I really liked your comment, as it seemed less one sided than most of the "views" shared here.:D

I think I will deal with it. Recently (within the last year) life has got better and I have things that keep me from toppling over the edge. It's only because i've been dealing with this since I was 11 that it is still so hard.

I admire you for having the courage to dig yourself out of a hole, it really highlights your strength:D:hug:

I agree with you, bloodstormaoa. I think it's funny how people flippantly toss around the term "coward" for anyone who struggles with, or has committed, suicide. I can understand the concept of someone being cowardly by "taking the easy way out," but I'm pretty sure that if pain and sorrow have pushed you to the point of wanting to end your own life, nothing is "easy." I think that's a shallow way to look at the subject and its victims. Half the time I think the people who end up committing it are courageous -- they have the guts to do something that most people don't. How's that for cowardly?

Personally, I respect the dead. Calling someone who's been tormented into suicide a selfish coward is not respectful, no matter how much pain they've caused.

All I can say is

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

vespertea
15-07-07, 01:06
All I can say is

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I've had that bottled up for a while. It felt good to get that out. :o

bloodstormaoa
15-07-07, 01:22
I've had that bottled up for a while. It felt good to get that out. :o

Well it's good that you did!:p

Perhaps it may convince others to stop viewing the world (and people) in such a black and white way. It's nice to know understanding, respectful and people with common sense still exist in the world today. :hug:

That may not make sense..........I'm tipsy at the moment:p

Night Crawler
15-07-07, 01:25
I did consider it for a split second, yes. But I'm over that.

Sara Croft
15-07-07, 01:28
Yes I have, but I never dare to do it. Also my best friends friend did it. After seeing her crying and comforting her, i decided that I would never commit it.
And even if I didnt hurt many, I would hurt those I loved.

BtoFu
15-07-07, 01:32
I'd miss my Magnum P.I DVD's too much if I topped myself...it'll never happen, Higgie baby!

Real Life Raider
15-07-07, 01:53
The death of any person leaves a hole in that person's close society bigger than that one person can imagine.

Suicide is selfishness but if a person is deranged or crippled with pain it is an option that I can well imagine.

Pray to whatever gods we believe in that we never come to such a predicament.

Geck-o-Lizard
15-07-07, 02:01
Yes, once when I was younger, when I went through a very brief spell of hypochondria. I quickly concluded that it would be a very silly thing for me to do. My entire approach to life is of a problem solver mentality. If I feel down, there's a problem - I suss out what the problem is if I don't already know what it is, and I solve it, either by taking control of myself or by addressing what's upsetting me. I don't consider self-harm or self-destruction to be an acceptable solution to any problem other than terminal illness or otherwise imminent unpreventable death, though I fully accept that many other people feel otherwise.

petujaymz
15-07-07, 02:19
I would kill myself but that would be far too convenient for my former colleagues. The alternative is for me to destroy them simply by living a normal life, which I fully intend to do. Sorry guys... think you've had trouble managing the situation so far? You've seen nothing yet. :mis: Am Borg... :mis:

BACK DOWN!

:wve:

Andromeda66
15-07-07, 04:04

True.

[personal opinion]Its hard for the average person to guess the intensity of pain and anguish that goes into suicidal tendencies. It actually distorts all sense of logic.[/personal opinion]

I will say nothing on suicide since I've never felt such tendencies.

Take the case of someone suffering from depression, the urge to kill yourself is altogether transient(at least in some cases of depression)...in that moment, you can either act on the impulse or not. There is no time to think about the consequences. Indeed people in depression are far from rational at that moment so the thought about leaving their friends and family to suffer doesn't even occur to them. Can you then accuse them of being selfish?

oocladableeblah
15-07-07, 05:39
Does it count when your mad about something or sad and you're like I hate my life and then your over it in like 2 seconds? Other than that no.

Neteru
15-07-07, 06:00

Hear, hear!

I have heard a lot of rubbish spoken of suicide over the years. In most cases, I find it comes from those with a total lack of understanding, and more importantly, of experience.

Suicide, as an option, can be a completely legitimate response to a situation of immense distress. Far from being an act of cowardice, it can, on the contrary, be an act that takes tremendous courage and resolve. Such finality is not something generally born of a weak mind, as many would have. It takes a lot to bring a person to the point of seriously considering suicide as an option, and even more to bring them to the act itself. Were it born of a weak mind, suicide would be the first option a distressed person would take. On the contrary, those attempting suicide have invariably been shown to have coped with a great deal of distress, and for long periods of time before finally coming to the act itself. Neither is it generally about mental imbalance, as others would have it.

Suicide can be a completely logical, intensely thought-out and rational response. It can be the most proactive, self-assertive act a person can take.

It is far easier for those who do not have a requisite level of understanding and insight to define suicide as either being an act of cowardice or mental dysfunction, rather than to take the time to consider it as the greatest critique upon society at large that any one person could ever make (which is my firm, personal view), and to consider the implications of that criticism. Which is easier for so many? Which answer demands more?

1. Society is so brutal, it drove another human being to take their own life.

2. The person who took their own life is a coward/mentally deficient individual.

It is far easier for so many to empty-headedly jump to answer number 2. because they do not possess either the insight or willingness to consider the questions that answer number 1. demands, nor to consider what may be their own part in the kind of society that drives some people to such depths of despair.

I also note with interest that it is most often those who are all too willing to selfishly* bleat about their own trials and troubles in life who are most cold and dismissive of other's pains when it comes to the subject of suicide. It speaks volumes as to the inability of facing up to their own pain by considering the pain of another when such pain is externalised and as such 'not belonging' to them.

As to the definition of suicidal individuals as being selfish. Well of course they are. How can one expect a person in the midst of incredible distress to be totally selfless, to set aside their own pain and suffering and consider the feelings of other people? Such an expectation is beyond ridiculous and displays a profound lack of understanding of the human psyche. Emotional pain is invariably selfish in nature. Furthermore, whilst demanding consideration of the feelings of those left behind, it completely negates the fact that such consideration is to place equally selfish feelings in precedence. That is, it is to tell the suicidal individual that they should in fact live and suffer, in order to prevent someone else selfishly suffering as a result of their proposed suicide. Such a definition is illogical and, as such, unsound as a reason to dismiss suicide as legitimate.

Is suicide the only answer? Of course not. But it is an answer, and an answer as valid as any other.

*The poster cannot be held liable for evidences of sarcasm, even amidst serious topics.

vespertea
15-07-07, 06:35
^ Took the words right out of my mouth.

Angel_14
15-07-07, 08:27
I think yes, several times while playing Legend...

Okay, to be serious, I don't remember wanting to do it. I was thinking several times that how it feels to commit suicide or how it feels to die. But I'd never do it. Well, once i did in my dream and it didn't feel good...

My friend considered doing it, because of her parents, who argue with her for nothing and made her feel like ****.

Naz2000
15-07-07, 09:22
I've never felt that I needed to kill myself and never think I will, I am happy just the way I am and have a whole life ahead of me to do anything I want, life is an adventure and I have only just started embarking on it:tmb:

Kamrusepas
15-07-07, 09:26

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Not everyone has it in them to even think about things like that. Some people are just naturally a bit darker.

ivannnnn
15-07-07, 09:53
I almost commited suicide that day. Because i was so frightened with teacher. But i have a strong faith,so i wouldn't commit suicide again

ThomasCroft
15-07-07, 09:58
Which is easier for so many? Which answer demands more?

1. Society is so brutal, it drove another human being to take their own life.

2. The person who took their own life is a coward/mentally deficient individual.

It is far easier for so many to empty-headedly jump to answer number 2. because they do not possess either the insight or willingness to consider the questions that answer number 1. demands, nor to consider what may be their own part in the kind of society that drives some people to such depths of despair.

So, incredibly true.

I have never seriously considered suicide myself, but it has crossed my mind at times.

CuteKittenlol
15-07-07, 10:08
I don't think I've considered it. I know I wouldn't have the guts to do it anyways. I know I've felt all crap and upset, but I wouldn't do that. And I could only imagine how it would make the people who love me feel o_O

a_pok
15-07-07, 10:11
never, not only because its considered really bad here(mom told me that when she is young, the person who killed himself, would not have a funeral), but god gave us the best gift anyone can ever get, which is life, then why should i go throw it away??
i know that sometimes life can be harsh sometimes but instead of thinking of it, talk about it to someone, for instance you have friends you have parents, whose job is to make sure your OK, you can use that!!

Alex Fly
15-07-07, 10:46
No, never !

Ada the Mental
15-07-07, 11:25
Never seriously ( I have absolutely no reason to), only in a hypothetical context.

I agree wholeheartedly with Neteru and everyone else who said something along those lines.
I far from consider suicide the best way to deal with ones problems, but I don't think it's cowardice.

Such finality is not something generally born of a weak mind, as many would have. It takes a lot to bring a person to the point of seriously considering suicide as an option, and even more to bring them to the act itself. Were it born of a weak mind, suicide would be the first option a distressed person would take. On the contrary, those attempting suicide have invariably been shown to have coped with a great deal of distress, and for long periods of time before finally coming to the act itself. Neither is it generally about mental imbalance, as others would have it.[/I]
Exactly. How much pain can a person endure before reaching a point of complete despair and hopelessness? There is only so much one can put up with.

MrBear
15-07-07, 12:51
I don't remember wanting to do it. I was thinking several times that how it feels to commit suicide or how it feels to die. But I'd never do it.

The same here :) years ago I thought of how it would be (sort of wallowing in self pity at the time.. I know, it's useless, but I felt as if I needed to and I haven't really done it since), but actually considering it? no.. I would never do it... a close friend of mine (perhaps the closest) once wanted to do this and was admitted (is it the right word?) to a special psychiatric place for teenagers, and it was weird.. I remember going to the movies with him and his half-brother (we saw "Austin Powers in Goldmember", great movie :p) towards the end of his stay there and it was very surreal.. but he's alright now :)

if anyone considers, I really hope you don't do it.. life is always worth living, even though it doesn't seem that way... trust me..

Catapharact
15-07-07, 13:00

It still indicates a deficiency of will and keeping a goal in mind so you don't have to fall for such emotional traps. Hence it still indicates a lack of better judgement on the person's part.

No matter how rough things get and no matter how bad the situation can turn, if a person has a goal in mind and the will to reach that goal, then he/she will always find a way to accomplish his/her task without the presence of such emotional blockades.

And that is why I so emphisize looking at a situation objectively in most situations.

lita212
15-07-07, 13:05
i dont think we can say that people are selfish etc because we all have differnt lives and interact differntly. not everyone is the same. just because you would do it doesnt mean the other person wouldnt. i think people who kill themselves do it because they would rather be dead then have to put up with bullies etc and imo i dont think its wrong. some people cant get help.
i really think people who are calling other selfish really have no clue what there talkin about. its easy to give your opinion but it doesnt count because we dont know what that person is feeling etc in order to take their life.
its their life and they can do what they want with it.

i think the whole selfish attitude needs to stop here now and this thread should be taken more seriously rather then people giving judgement on a situation they could never understand.

i dont think its selfish to take your own life. i do think its selfish to take other's lifes too just because yours isnt how you want it to be

Catapharact
15-07-07, 13:10
I think people who kill themselves do it because they would rather be dead then have to put up with bullies etc and imo i dont think its wrong. some people cant get help.
i really think people who are calling other selfish really have no clue what there talkin about. its easy to give your opinion but it doesnt count because we dont know what that person is feeling etc in order to take their life.

You can define murder in so many cirumstances but in the end its still murder; One way or another. And IMO you just proved right there that the reluctance of a person to stand up to his/her attacker constitues as a lack of will to stand up for one's rights and thus it is cowardly ain't it? Rather killing one's self instead of facing and standing up to the problem?

bloodstormaoa
15-07-07, 13:14
You can define murder in so many cirumstances but in the end its still murder; One way or another. And IMO you just proved right there that the reluctance of a person to stand up to his/her attacker constitues as a lack of will to stand up for one's rights and thus it is cowardly ain't it? Rather killing one's self instead of facing and standing up to the problem?

Of course, you understand lita's example is an extemely basic one and is in no way indicative of other people with suicidal tendencies and the issues they face daily?

@ Neteru - I commend you in so many ways for that post.

Catapharact
15-07-07, 13:18
Of course, you understand lita's example is an extemely basic one and is in no way indicative of other people with suicidal tendencies?

In most circumstances, the person in quesiton just attempts Suacide for the sheer reason because they can't seem to confront their inner and outer demons one way or another. In the end, obviously things differ from cicumstances to cirumstances (i.e. a Spy takes his own life so the enemy won't gain the knowladge he possess, etc.) but such acts are acts of definance and a viable solution to the problem at hand.

Killing yourself because you couldn't standup to a bully isn't a viable nor a logical solution.

bloodstormaoa
15-07-07, 13:21
Killing yourself because you couldn't standup to a bully isn't a viable nor a logical solution.

No, of course not. But as it has been stated before (by myself and others), it is usually a build up of a lot of things that force a person to such depths of despair.

Catapharact
15-07-07, 13:24
No, of course not. But as it has been stated before (by myself and others), it is usually a build up of a lot of things that force a person to such depths of despair.

Then you forget how to feel and manage each problem objectively rather then subjectively. Give yourself a goal to reach and aim for it. You know you are dealing with a bully so you find out how to effectively deal with him. He will exist even when you're gone so how does that solve the porblem of bulling in the first place? You just did his job for him; He thought you were a weak pathetic toad and you proved him right by ending your life.

If you can't deal with your feelings then push them aside for the time being and learn to work with cold logic.

bloodstormaoa
15-07-07, 13:36
Then you forget how to feel and manage each problem objectively rather then subjectively. Give yourself a goal to reach and aim for it. You know you are dealing with a bully so you find out how to effectively deal with him. He will exist even when you're gone so how does that solve the porblem of bulling in the first place? You just did his job for him; He thought you were a weak pathetic toad and you proved him right by ending your life.

If you can't deal with your feelings then push them aside for the time being and learn to work with cold logic.

That can be a very thin rope to walk on. There's a certain point, where you begin to become emotionless...even to those you love. It is very hard to switch your emotional state depending on your situation, especially if the situation in which you need to be "cold" takes over a lot of your day.

As, i've said, bullying is not a great example as to what leads people to commit suicide. I was bullied for 11 years non - stop, day in...day out. It was never the one thing that drove me to the edge. It was the accumulation of other things too. Most have the resolve to overcome bullying...it usually is only common in school, which as everyone knows is not the only aspect of life, and it is over relatively quickly. It is other more personal, perhaps, issues that generally lead to suicide. Things that are hard to overcome with "cold logic".

xcrushterx
15-07-07, 13:37
So far, no :)

Catapharact
15-07-07, 13:42
The person in question got bullied for 11 yrs. straight because he lacked the emotional detachment to deal with the problem accordingly. A parent in question cannot be called a parent if he/she abuses her child to the point of saddness now do they?

If a child ends up killing him/herself then I can verily understand the situation for a child hasn't developed the more logical aspect of reasoning yet to deal with a problem effectively.

Here is SA for example, you're legally considered an adult when you reach the age of 16 since by this time it is expected that you have possessed the necessary emotional structure to dealw ith your problems accordingly and well I have to say I know quite a bit of people who came though such emotionally destructive and abusive background yet managed to achieve their goals never-the-less. If they can do it, why can't others? IMO saying that killing yourself is acceptable is an insult to their efforts to overcome their personal odds.

Oh its all down to you and no one else.

ace_85
15-07-07, 13:50

Fair enough suggestion but, if someone is contemplating suicide, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that cold logic is going to be the last process at work. By it's very nature, suicide is an act of desperation; a solution that is only considered when someone feels that they have exhausted all avenues of help available to them.

Whilst I've never been suicidal, I have been clinically depressed, and so I can appreciate where the insular nature of such thought processes stems from. It's not fair to throw accusations of 'selfishness' around in such situations IMO. Depression and suicidal tendencies are, let's not forget, a form of illness - a mental one, but one nonetheless - and it's very hard for someone in such a situation to see past their own issues. Trust me, I've been there. And so telling someone in that position to 'get over it' or 'stop being selfish' is a bit akin to telling someone in a wheelchair that they should stop being so lazy and try walking for once; it's just simply not that straightforward.

The only sadness I see associated with suicide is that the people concerned felt that there was no other choice available to them; there is nearly always someone or something that can be of aid to you, no matter how bad you percieve your situation to be. And the varying ways that we as humans can react to the same circumstances complicates things further. There's not always any logic behind it either. Take myself, for example - somedays I can be perfectly happy to do something like walking into a shop and, other days, the prospect will irrationally fill me with fear, and I'll be left hovering at the entrance unsure of whether or not to go inside. How we cope with things is different for all of us, but there's only one golden rule as I see it - if you think that you're in need of help, never ever be afraid to seek it out

bloodstormaoa
15-07-07, 13:54
The person in question got bullied for 11 yrs. straight because he lacked the emotional detachment to deal with the problem accordingly. A parent in question cannot be called a parent if he/she abuses her child to the point of saddness now do they?

If a child ends up killing him/herself then I can verily understand the situation for a child hasn't developed the more logical aspect of reasoning yet to deal with a problem effectively.

Here is SA for example, you're legally considered an adult when you reach the age of 16 since by this time it is expected that you have possessed the necessary emotional structure to dealw ith your problems accordingly and well I have to say I know quite a bit of people who came though such emotionally destructive and abusive background yet managed to achieve their goals never-the-less. If they can do it, why can't others?

Oh its all down to you and no one else.

Now, if this refers to me....I can tell you straight away that your assessment is way off ;)

Sure, many can come through horrible backgrounds, but it would behoove you to realise that not everyone can and to judge them on the basis that "others got over it, why can't you" is extremely arrogant. Everybody's emotional state is different and everyone reacts to the circumstances they face in life differently. That does not mean those that cannot "get over it" are weaker minded or do not "possess the necessary emotional struture to deal with their problems". It means different courses for different horses.

Not everyone can be as emotionally detached as some.

mizuno_suisei
15-07-07, 13:56
I have tried, I sliced my arm open, I was considering posting a picture for a second but then i thought how gross the scar looks and so on. I didnt go it again because of the stitches I had and how much they hurt. >_>

lita212
15-07-07, 14:00
If they can do it, why can't others? IMO saying that killing yourself is acceptable is an insult to their efforts to overcome their personal odds.

because people are not the same. your making out as if everyone is a robot enginered to think do and feel the same thing when its so not true. just because them people deal with it doesnt mean others can. seriously just because certain people have dealt with depression etc doesnt mean others can. everyone is differnt
if everyone could deal with things in the same way then why do people get into this situation? why do people bully and get bullied. why do people kill themselves and other just kill?
because everyone is differnt and thinks differnt. so everything your saying is rubbish because again WERE NOT ALL LIKE YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE.

Catapharact
15-07-07, 14:00
Fair enough suggestion but, if someone is contemplating suicide, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that cold logic is going to be the last process at work. By it's very nature, suicide is an act of desperation; a solution that is only considered when someone feels that they have exhausted all avenues of help available to them.

I am gonna be sextremely straight forward here; The only person you can truly rely on in the end to deal with any problem is yourself, so as such I seriously want to tell this to everyone openly:

WORK TOWARDS INDIVIDUAL INDEPENDENCE.

That means try to be emotionally independent, as well as financially and materialsitically. Heavy reliance only leads to unwarrented expectations that may never be fulfilled enitrely. So lean to create a solution for a problem yourself.

Blood:

Same as what I wrote to Ace.

Catapharact
15-07-07, 14:05
because people are not the same. your making out as if everyone is a robot enginered to think do and feel the same thing when its so not true. just because them people deal with it doesnt mean others can. seriously just because certain people have dealt with depression etc doesnt mean others can. everyone is differnt
if everyone could deal with things in the same way then why do people get into this situation? why do people bully and get bullied. why do people kill themselves and other just kill?
because everyone is differnt and thinks differnt. so everything your saying is rubbish because again WERE NOT ALL LIKE YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE.

Then in that case would it really matter if society says things about them one way or another? Pfft... Right now the orginization known as Al-Qaeda fights for supposable freedom but obviously they commit horrible acts of violence and kill people in the name of a greater good. Does this justifies what they do? Well in their eyes it does because they percieve themselves as victims of circumstance.

If circumstance dictated the judgement of every action then who cares about laws since every murder is Justifiable one way or another.

No... Logic dictates murder to be murder one way or another. An illogical act is an illogical act if it serves no purpose in the end but escapsim from a problem that can be directly or indirectly be dealth with without killing one's self.

So yes... I do judge under logical cirumstances. Sue me.

ace_85
15-07-07, 14:09
I am gonna be sextremely straight forward here; The only person you can truly rely on in the end to deal with any problem is yourself, so as such I seriously want to tell this to everyone openly:

That means try to be emotionally independent, as well as financially and materialsitically. Heavy reliance only leads to unwarrented expectations that may never be fulfilled enitrely. So lean to create a solution for a problem yourself.

Yes, that's true - overreliance on other people can be a mistake too, but that shouldn't suggest that people who feel that they're facing insurmountable problems are unwise to seek assistance; exactly the opposite, in fact. No-one can be expected to overcome every issue that they'll ever face purely by themselves.

Joe_16
15-07-07, 14:11

Well said.

Gabi
15-07-07, 14:11
I am gonna be sextremely straight forward here; The only person you can truly rely on in the end to deal with any problem is yourself,

That means try to be emotionally independent,

Being emotionally independent gives me the liberty to deal with problems as I see fit, and that includes considering suicide.

Catapharact
15-07-07, 14:13
Being emotionally independent gives me the liberty to deal with problems as I see fit, and that includes considering suicide.

An Oxymoron of a statement. Suacide still means that you're being dictated by a feeling of extreme helplessness and want a quick way out. If you really think that you want to go through this and its a viable option then does it really matter in the end as to how the world sees your act?

Would it matter if I called you a coward for doing what you are doing?

God Horus
15-07-07, 14:15
Let me just tell you all one thing. Never ever kill yourself. No matter what the problem is, never kill yourself. There is NO EXCUSE IN THIS WORLD OR MARS, WHY KILLING YOURSELF IS O.K. If you have suicidal thoughts, see someone, talk to someone. You have no idea what kind of pain, and suffering you would put you loved ones in, and it would scar them until the DAY THEY DIE. DON'T KILL YOURSELF!

I just wanted to post this, to let all those people know that killing themselves, is not O.K. Remember, if someone is bullying you, stand up for yourself. When I was a kid, the first thing I would do when someone goes up to me and pushes me around, would be to slap them across the face; and stuff them into the nearest garbage can. I stood up to bullies, just in the wrong way.

If you are going through any other type of pain, just always remember you will get through it.

Gabi
15-07-07, 14:43
Suacide still means that you're being dictated by a feeling of extreme helplessness and want a quick way out.

I disagree. There are lots more reasons to commit suicide than just despair. Contempt, protest, even boredom with one's life to name just a few. But it always is a very personal decision and in my opinion no****ingbody has the right to judge another person for it.

Would it matter if I called you a coward for doing what you are doing?

Why on earth would it?

Vickkyyy
15-07-07, 16:22
erm yes, before

buh im far to bubbly now ! :D

mattlsu
15-07-07, 16:25
The suicide rate for adolescents has increased more than two-hundred percent over the last decade, and in a class of twenty-five students, at least five have seriously considered suicide, and at least two have attempted in the last year.

There's no excuse for that. :( You can get help. You don't only end your life, but everybody elses too.

Angelx14
15-07-07, 16:25
Not at all. Even if I did want to, I'd probably chicken out of doing it. I've got quite a few life-goals, so I feel like I've got a lot to live for. :)
I wouldn't want to hurt anyone either.
Ditto =)

Fish.
15-07-07, 16:52
A couple of nights ago. My friend came over to spend the night and did nothing but treat me like ****. I seriously wanted to.

It's gone now though. :)

SparkleCroft07
15-07-07, 18:25
Dont kill yourself. Ive never considred it, even when I was bullied. I stood up to the bullies and didnt care what they thought of me. I have a friend who tried to kill theirself, and still want to. If people start picking on me, I stand up to them and so do my friends. Also, Ive come on TRF and met some lovely people. Even though life has its down sides, I look on the bright side of life and think of happy things. ;)

I wouldnt give up life for the world!!! :)

Dont do it, please. It doesnt solve anything.

Sparkle

Destroyer Op 89
15-07-07, 18:29
ive thought about it before,but no point in doing it,i always have hope inside of me even when im horribly desperate,i look to a small corner and a beautiful ray of sunshine appears,reminding me that the little things in life make me a very happy person and i wouldnt want to miss the beauty in nature just cause i decided to mutilate myself

Lara'sLover
15-07-07, 18:41
yeh i hqve and i was horrible

Draco
15-07-07, 19:42
I once was depressed and not feeling worth living...but suicide never interested me, however I did develope quite a few death scenarios that would have made headlines.

But actually doing it never crossed my mind.

And as for the depression...I got tired of feeling like ****, so I went back to school and got over it...like a man.

Paul H
15-07-07, 20:44
What is such a tragedy is that many suicides occur simply because the person hasn’t thought through his or her situation thoroughly enough. I accept Neteru’s well made point that this is not always the case, but the fact that it sometimes is represents such a needless waste of life.

That is why, IMO, voluntary groups such as the Samaritans should receive state funding for the excellent work they do in showing suicidal people that there really is another way. Throughout our lives, we consult others for advice about all kinds of difficult decisions. So the decision of whether to commit suicide, being one that you can never change your mind about, should never be contemplated without advice from others.

Neteru
16-07-07, 07:15
It still indicates a deficiency of will ...

That is your interpretation, which is open to dispute. Whereas you may view it as a 'giving up', I could, and do assert that it can be seen as a choice, equally valid in nature as any other.

... and keeping a goal in mind so you don't have to fall for such emotional traps.

Is to presume that physically orientated life goals are the only valid existential goals and that incarnate life is either the only valid experience, or more valid than anything hereafter and should therefor take precedence.

Hence it still indicates a lack of better judgement on the person's part.

Is to presume knowledge of what is right for other people.

No matter how rough things get and no matter how bad the situation can turn, if a person has a goal in mind and the will to reach that goal, then he/she will always find a way to accomplish his/her task without the presence of such emotional blockades. And that is why I so emphisize looking at a situation objectively in most situations.

Suicide is a goal in mind, equally valid as any other. Priorities change, as do choices and desires. It can be firmly argued that coming to a point of suicide is to come to the most objective state of mind possible, where all considerations are startlingly clear and crystallised into absolute focus.

Spitfire
16-07-07, 08:00
I've had moments where suicide seemed tempting but apperantly I'm either really weak or strong minded depending on which side you're defending.
Having known a girl who commited suicide I just found life for me far to precious to waste away because I felt nothing in life was going the way I hoped.

Quasimodo
16-07-07, 08:18
I've thought I've wanted to before, but then I'd sleep on it and get over it the next day.

Why is suicide becoming so prevalent, especially while in many ways, we're more privileged than ever? Is it partly because we've all become more intimately acquainted with the subject, through media, music, and literature, etc? Or is it partly due to an almost cultural obsession with negativity? "I'm too poor, too stupid, too fat, too lonely, evil, misunderstood, done wrong by, and dissapointing to others" - a mantra you've probably all seen suggested in one form or another.

I've had a friend and even a parent threaten suicide before. To me at least that was scarier than the thought of killing myself. There's always going to be the opinion that suicidal thoughts can be willed away if the person in question simply pulls themselves up by their bootstraps and perserveres to solve their problems and get over their hangups. That's all fine and well unless the suicidal person has real mental health issues which impede the emotional and cognitive reasoning a relatively mentally healthy person uses to talk themself out of such a finite decision.

XtremeJenn
16-07-07, 20:26
ive killed myself a few times. Then my parachute opened and my life was saved. ;)

tomblover
16-07-07, 20:38
I wasn't handsome enough... :(

Now that you've read this you must do this and do that or else you will be banned.

:p

No, seriously, I have way too much to life for and with. Could never do it. :hug:

Lavinder
16-07-07, 20:41
I've thought I've wanted to before, but then I'd sleep on it and get over it the next day.

Why is suicide becoming so prevalent, especially while in many ways, we're more privileged than ever?

Well the other day I was talking to my friend and he said that humans are their most happiest when they are striving and working - so because the culture has become so lax lately, we are all slowly becoming depressed ?

And stereotypes, bullying, acceptance does not help.

Catlantean
16-07-07, 21:19
I think a lot about ways to kill myself, but it's more like morbid fun than actually wanting to stop living. The world might be a dark place, and I have my ups and downs like everyone else, but overall I like being alive.

As for calling it weakness, maybe sometimes it is but overall, I wouldn't. When someone gets cancer, would you call them weak for it? Depression or BPD is quite the same, it is not a weakness but an illness, and as such needs medical attention. Ignorant people pointing fingers and screaming "Weakling!" - that is so Dark Medieval.

Lara Croft!
16-07-07, 22:16
Never thought of killing myself. Even as a teenager when hormones made me go crazy, I have never considered it. On the contrary, I would kill some people...:mad::D

Spitfire
16-07-07, 22:25
Never thought of killing myself. Even as a teenager when hormones made me go crazy, I have never considered it. On the contrary, I would kill some people...:mad::D
There's always someone that you've wanted to get your hands on and strangle!

Lara Croft!
16-07-07, 22:27
...Well not always, but if I could I woudn't mind ridding the earth of a few folks...

myrmaad
16-07-07, 22:36
No I haven't. A girl I knew killed herself two years ago, and her best friend died in a car accident May this year. I didn’t know him though. By killing yourself you accomplish nothing, just leave everyone that loved you to suffer.

Oh It accomplishes something alright, it ruins everyone else's lives who loved you, it leaves them to pick up your pieces.. it is never the answer, because the WORLD WILL NEVER BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT YOU IN IT!

I have first-hand knowledge, as you may have guessed, my family was shattered by suicide. I understand, in the intensity of the pain, it seems like it is a solution, but it doesn't END THE PAIN, IT AMPLIFIES IT EXPONENTIALLY. Clean up your own mess, don't leave your family to do it.

Sorry to be so passionate..

BoyTRaider
17-07-07, 00:41
Alright, it's great to see so many different views on this subject. I, for one, never thought of killing myself... I've been in so many situations that I'm sure many of you here haven't, but I always kept in the back of my mind that somewhere out there, other people are going through worse conditions and always keeping their heads up with a smile.

I would not go as far as to say a person is coward because of their suicidal priority. In the contrary, like many of you already mentioned here, it takes guts for someone to kill themselves - it actually does take courage. I'm not saying I'm agreeing to this though, I think people should consider everything in a more positive outlook. Of course this is mere personal perspective, as far as I know there are people who actually do suffer in this world - which contradicts lots of opinions around here.

My friend considered doing it, because of her parents, who argue with her for nothing and made her feel like ****.

Alright, this is one of the reasons that I think maturity needs to play a role. Usually when parents do argue with you, it's for the better. Now, if your friend was suffering and continued to endure persistent pain, then I'd understand a little better. But to kill yourself because your parents argue with you? That just shows weakness and immaturity in my opinion.

silver_wolf
17-07-07, 01:34
yeah,I contemplate suicide a few times each year. never actually try it,though.

Izzie404
17-07-07, 02:05
I think that some who consider suicide may feel that the statement "all of your family and friends would be hurt if you were to die" would be almost encouragement.
When someone ponders suicide they think how they want everyone to understand the agony that they feel and all the confusion that confronts them. They shouldn't be called selfish or a coward because maybe it would be better if more people knew the pain that they are going through. People should know so that they can confront the person with the problems and try to help them through their feelings. One major difficulty in that step is the actual confrontation and discussion. I would, personally, hate it if one of my parents started talking to me about suicide. I do not like to talk to them, nor professionally trained persons, about that sort of thing.
This is where the internet comes into play. I have made a major friend over the internet, and we have talked about anything and everything that has concerned me. There is not a single thing that they do not know, and it really helps to have someone to confide in but knowing that they won't tell anyone who is close to you who would feel the need to start a confrontation.

One major thing that has troubled me in my short existence is that I seem to be confused about a lot of things.
It seems, to me, that whenever I am bad something, everyone will feel the need to make fun of me for it, but then when I get good at something, they seem to reverse their statements so that they are still making fun of me. There is no escape from this treachery and sorrow. No matter how good I am at something, be it bad or good, there always seems to be a myriad of persons who feel the need to lower you about it. For me, there is no such thing as a perfect friend. Either you have friends who you talk to and do stuff with or you have friends who you can really talk to on an emotionally deep level.

Now, my parents are forcing me to get a job, and to perform my driving hours so that I can get my license. For everyone else, this seems to be a fine and dandy thing, and that they just get up in the morning and go out with their parents for a drive. But for me, I am not ready for that. I feel that I don't need to drive, and that I could make it in life without even getting my license. I have only driven five out of fifty hours of driving time, which means that I have to drive for fourty-five more hours before August 8th, when school starts. Now everyone I have asked, including the most intelligent students at my school, all say that they have only driven for an actual quarter of that total amount of fifty hours, and that their parents just put down that the child drove for the full fifty just so that the parents wouldn't have to drive their kids around everywhere. My parents, on the other hand, feel the need to stretch out those full fifty hours and make sure that I do each and every minute.

I just feel like I'm not ready for the real world

DREWY
17-07-07, 02:40
I am a pretty upbeat sort of person, I cannot see why anything is so bad that you would have to end it all. You are a long time dead. Having said that, there must be another perspective that I can't see that drives people in that direction. I'm no psychologist and I don't really think this is the place to discuss this but it's here now....

Izzy, you see what you want to see. Where you see people such as parents and proffessionals 'invading your space' I see it as concern and a sensible approach. Why not talk to people that either know you or have been trained to help? Professionals especially cannot talk behind your back. And yet you confide all to someone who may not have your best wishes at heart. I suppose you could say it's a neutral point of view, but so too is a psychologist.
Second point. People make fun of you, good or bad? Sticks and stones. As you get older you will mix with a totally different crowd than you do now. You will have a choice where you go and who you associate with. Just don't pretend to be something your not. Mature people will take you for what you are. If they don't , move on. Take Jessica Simpson for eg. I don't think she's as dumb as what she put on, but now thats what she's known for.
Third point. I would prefer it if you did the full 50hrs (120 over here btw).
What you make out as a pain in the arse is really a valid concern. How would the other parents feel if their child died in an auto accident that was put down to inexperiance? THAT would make you feel guilty.

I repeat I am looking from a different point of view, but don't mistake meddling with love and concern. Make the most of loving parents, there aren't enough to go round as it is. And they are not around for ever either. Don't realize it too late.

myrmaad
17-07-07, 02:41
I think that some who consider suicide may feel that the statement "all of your family and friends would be hurt if you were to die" would be almost encouragement.
When someone ponders suicide they think how they want everyone to understand the agony that they feel and all the confusion that confronts them. They shouldn't be called selfish or a coward because maybe it would be better if more people knew the pain that they are going through. People should know so that they can confront the person with the problems and try to help them through their feelings. One major difficulty in that step is the actual confrontation and discussion. I would, personally, hate it if one of my parents started talking to me about suicide. I do not like to talk to them, nor professionally trained persons, about that sort of thing.
This is where the internet comes into play. I have made a major friend over the internet, and we have talked about anything and everything that has concerned me. There is not a single thing that they do not know, and it really helps to have someone to confide in but knowing that they won't tell anyone who is close to you who would feel the need to start a confrontation.

One major thing that has troubled me in my short existence is that I seem to be confused about a lot of things.
It seems, to me, that whenever I am bad something, everyone will feel the need to make fun of me for it, but then when I get good at something, they seem to reverse their statements so that they are still making fun of me. There is no escape from this treachery and sorrow. No matter how good I am at something, be it bad or good, there always seems to be a myriad of persons who feel the need to lower you about it. For me, there is no such thing as a perfect friend. Either you have friends who you talk to and do stuff with or you have friends who you can really talk to on an emotionally deep level.

Now, my parents are forcing me to get a job, and to perform my driving hours so that I can get my license. For everyone else, this seems to be a fine and dandy thing, and that they just get up in the morning and go out with their parents for a drive. But for me, I am not ready for that. I feel that I don't need to drive, and that I could make it in life without even getting my license. I have only driven five out of fifty hours of driving time, which means that I have to drive for fourty-five more hours before August 8th, when school starts. Now everyone I have asked, including the most intelligent students at my school, all say that they have only driven for an actual quarter of that total amount of fifty hours, and that their parents just put down that the child drove for the full fifty just so that the parents wouldn't have to drive their kids around everywhere. My parents, on the other hand, feel the need to stretch out those full fifty hours and make sure that I do each and every minute.

I just feel like I'm not ready for the real world

The difference here is between an adult who commits suicide and a teen who commits suicide. My mother committed suicide because she thought we would be better off without her, we being my father and my sisters and brother. We were children, and she left us picking up the pieces because she was so depressed she had lost sight of reality.

Now, a teen may not have the same understanding of responsibility to their family that a parent does, so I do see your point. But these things that seem so overwhelming when you're 16, turn out to be so comparatively unimportant later on.

It is difficult to feel misunderstood by your parents, maybe think about how it feels for them. Realize that they were once teenagers too, very likely with struggles and troubling relationships with their parents as well. There are many very good reasons your parents may want you to have your own job, you'll most likely be grateful some day.

I admit I can't really relate that well to not wanting to learn to drive, I started driving when I was about 6, I was raised on a farm and drove tractors, and had my own motorcycles. However, I also am very environmentally aware and admire people who can survive on public transportation. The main thing your parents want for you is for you to grow into a successful, confidant, and self-sufficient adult. I'd bet my life on that. One of the biggest problems in families is a lack of constructive communication. It's very important for each person in the family to be heard, and their opinions validated as (understood to be) important to them. That doesn't mean that those feelings are validated as being "correct", just understood as the truth of how you feel.

Many many things can contribute to depression, but talking and feeling as if you are accepted for who you are, and feeling that you are understood, can go a long way to getting through to the other side of rough patches. Everyone goes through trials and heartbreak, but I promise you the older I get, the more I realize that every moment of life is precious, even the tragic bits, because they made me everything I am.

calico25
17-07-07, 03:07
I have never really thought about suicide.

I have spent the last year of my life in a situation that is not something I like and it has worn on me. I have felt at times that i had lost my soul and was just empty.

I never thought about suicide and would never do it, but i found myself not caring about anything anymore and it got to the point where i accepted death and treated myself with little respect just waiting for it to come.

I recently have had a few friends sit me down and comment about the things in my life and how I basically look terrible and exhausted and that they were worried about my drinking habits. I have now been able to turn things around because of several things and i am getting my life finally back on track.

Gregori
17-07-07, 03:30
I think there are alot of good reasons to commit suicide and I would never judge anyone who did it...the world is a very horrible and miserable place and some people can never find true hapiness in it...I'd be very sad if a loved one commited suicide but never judgemental...I've no right to judge as I've never been in their shoes! You owe your life and existence to NO ONE...If you are willing to take your own life you must be in considerable pain to do so. No one would commit such an act on a whim..

I've considered ending it all many many times. Perhaps even everyday.

The only things that are keeping me alive right now are the fear of death, fear of hurting my family, expressing myself through art, activism to fight for justice in the world and the possibilty that amazing thing will be discovered in my life time (like space travel) that I don't want to miss out on!

bloodstormaoa
17-07-07, 04:03
Myrmaad - I just want you to know I'm very sorry about your mother, and can completely understand your view on this issue :hug:

But, I still think that each case should be judged singularly and not in general:o

Gregori
17-07-07, 04:13
But, I still think that each case should be judged singularly and not in general:o

I don't understand why we feel the need to judge at all. It pointless. They're gone and judging won't make it better. You also aren't the person who is committing suicide, how do you know how they feel? I know loads of people who have taken their life and I feel like I have no right to judge them at all. I want to understand them, not judge.

Tyrannosaurus
17-07-07, 04:20
Well, they say that life gives you three options:

1. Insanity

2. Suicide

3. Doing the best you can with what you have

I'll settle for option number 3 any day.

SoulReaver74
17-07-07, 07:38
There's no question life is extremely hard at times, but to consider taking your own life is selfish as many people have mentioned, i think to many people try to deal with situations in life by themselves, this is a bad way to go about it as i discovered in my teenage years, talking things through is in my expirence the best solution.

bloodstormaoa
17-07-07, 13:12
I don't understand why we feel the need to judge at all. It pointless. They're gone and judging won't make it better. You also aren't the person who is committing suicide, how do you know how they feel? I know loads of people who have taken their life and I feel like I have no right to judge them at all. I want to understand them, not judge.

Forgveness....please!

I wasn't specifically referring to myself, but those who do (and always will) judge. Those people should judge case sensitively.

Gregori
17-07-07, 13:39
Forgveness....please!

I wasn't specifically referring to myself, but those who do (and always will) judge. Those people should judge case sensitively.

Don't worry, I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was aiming at to you. I was just speaking in general. I really want people to think about it differently...

Suicide is iirc properly the 2nd biggest killer of young people in Ireland, Its a serious epidemic that needs to be dealth with...So many people aren't just killing themselves for the fun of it - theres something seriously wrong with that..