PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Invention Ever

Mad Tony
16-07-07, 16:46
What do you guys think the greatest invention ever is?

Just some examples (for people who are not quite sure what I mean)
Gunpowder
The Telephone
The Wheel
Airplane
Guitar^^
Just a few completely random, unrelated inventions.

For me, I'd say the internet is the greatest invention ever. :)

mizuno_suisei
16-07-07, 16:48
Toby Gard :wve:

Dakaruch
16-07-07, 16:49
i must say that the most revolucionary was deffinetly the electricity... without it our life would be just boring... the second one is TR... lol :p
and the third one this forum...

talion
16-07-07, 16:54
Music :) I can't imagine life without music :)

jamieoliver22
16-07-07, 16:55
The Internet :D

Well, I suppose the computer, without it the Internet wouldn't be possible :p

Real Life Raider
16-07-07, 17:11
i must say that the most revolucionary was deffinetly the electricity...

Electricity was a discovery, not an invention. ;)

My #1 invention is the Mobile Phone :)

Miss_Tomb_Raider
16-07-07, 17:12
Computer & Bill Gates :jmp:

Mad Tony
16-07-07, 17:14
I don't know why people are saying actual people are inventions. :confused: People aren't inventions. People invent things, but a human being is not an invention.

Angel_14
16-07-07, 17:16
Hmm... though question... My would be

- Internet
- Tomb Raider
- Candy
- Telephone
- Kurtis Trent :whi:
- Music

Archetype
I don't know why people are saying actual people are inventions. :confused: People aren't inventions. People invent things, but a human being is not an invention.

guess i can't say sliced bread then

psychokitten
Wow this is a hard one! Hmmm I'd say the telephone, or cars :D

Stig911
16-07-07, 17:20
My mum.
Cheese.
House Mains and Servants.
PA's.

And anything gamewise (ps...psp...360...psp.....etc)

laralauraxxx
16-07-07, 17:36
computers and the internet :)

oh and my mum says dishwashers!

Terminatorvs
16-07-07, 17:38
Internet
Internet
Internet
Internet
Internet

Agent 47
16-07-07, 17:38
What do you guys think the greatest invention ever is?

Just some examples (for people who are not quite sure what I mean)
Gunpowder
The Telephone
The Wheel
Airplane
Guitar^^
Just a few completely random, unrelated inventions.

For me, I'd say the internet is the greatest invention ever. :)

ah! did you see the Jeremy Clarkson series back in 2005 iirc

damn good series it was :jmp:

it focused on

The Gun
The Telephone
The Computer

(and three more i've forgotten)

Rivendell
16-07-07, 17:39
The internet is a hard invention to compete with! :tmb:

sdp93
16-07-07, 17:40

Yeah, but without electricity, most of these inventions wouldn't exist.

I'd have to say the lightbulb. Can you imagine what it would be like if that had never been invented?

Dakaruch
16-07-07, 17:41

My #1 invention is the Mobile Phone :)

sorry... it is a discovery!!! but i think it all goes to the same... :p

star girl
16-07-07, 17:42
Music! :tmb:
Internet! :tmb:

Mad Tony
16-07-07, 17:45
Yeah, but without electricity, most of these inventions wouldn't exist.
Yes, but electricity is still a discovery. ;)

Laurencarter
16-07-07, 17:45
THe ipod

tr_mitch
16-07-07, 17:47
The Condom. :)

Mad Tony
16-07-07, 17:47
THe ipodNot really an invention. But the mp3 player is an invention I believe.

Alive_and_Funky
16-07-07, 17:49
The Matrix. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. :cool:
LMAO :vlol:

sdp93
16-07-07, 17:50

Yes, I know that. I'm not saying it's an invention, I'm just stating that without electricity, we wouldn't have television, computers, phones, etc.

...I'm not even going to say what I'm thinking.

VonCroy360
16-07-07, 17:55
Umm... I don't think there is anything as one greatest invention ever.

You can say the internet, but that wouldn't been invented if people hadn't invented telephones and compters before it.
You may say cars, but we wouldn't have known about those if some people haven't invented all the tiny parts that make todays cars, etc.

:)

Agent 47
16-07-07, 17:55
The internet is a hard invention to compete with! :tmb:

you know why??????? because it's British :jmp:

can't believe the tit gave it away for FREE :yik:

Mad Tony is quite correct in that electricity is NOT an invention and it is indeed a discovery

the mobile phone technically isn't an invention either...just check sci-fi shows circa 1966 ;)

@VonCroy...........the Internal Combustion Engine is indeed a fine invention, without that the car wouldn't exist :D

laralauraxxx
16-07-07, 17:56
the internet's british?!?! coooool :D :tmb:

jamieoliver22
16-07-07, 18:01

See, people may laugh, but it really is a great invention. Think how many lives it has saved (both physically and mentally).

Agent 47
16-07-07, 18:02
the internet's british?!?! coooool :D :tmb:

yep, an Englishman developed the concept and the moronic fool gave it away to the Americans for FREE!!!! then they made it what it is today..basically evolved it :)

Alive_and_Funky
16-07-07, 18:03
See, people may laugh, but it really is a great invention. Think how many lives it has saved (both physically and mentally).
I never really thought of it like that. I guess you're right.

greendayfan
16-07-07, 18:03
the greatest invention is ME:D:D:D

becouse im so damn sexy

Mad Tony
16-07-07, 18:05
Look, I'm being serious here people. A person is not an invention (yes I know you're all joking around but I didn't make this thread for that).

Nemo_91
16-07-07, 18:08
Evanescence :p

greendayfan
16-07-07, 18:09
PUNK

that is the greatest invention ever

Sedge
16-07-07, 18:11
But doesn't every invention require some discovery first? Ô_ô Like with a wheel.. You'd have to discover it actually rotates and is of some use, otherwise you couldn't announce what a great invention it was. It's the attributes that make a wheel.. a wheel. And same goes with everything. Eh, anyone got my logic? :p But anyways, the definition of what's an invention and what's a discovery.. Err, how do we separete them? I mean, someone could say electricity was God's invention, but because human discovered it it's a discovery.. ? Hey but who invented God? Well of course someone could say human but.. :D Gaah, this makes me think too much and I can't put it all down in English! XD

Person is not an invention? Well it depends also.. Are you an invention when you're mother and father decided to make you? Or are you not, because no one specifically programmed you to be as you are now? Or how do you know? In a way you are an invention because everything has affected you somehow through your whole life - the environment, genes etc. Did they work by coincidence? Or was it planned? How do we know? Hoohoohoo! :tea:

:jmp:

tr_mitch
16-07-07, 18:13
Exactly.
Look, I'm being serious here people. A person is not an invention (yes I know you're all joking around but I didn't make this thread for that).

That all depends... if your religious, you could say that people are gods 'Best' creation, thus making people an invention.

sdp93
16-07-07, 18:15
yep, an Englishman developed the concept and the moronic fool gave it away to the Americans for FREE!!!! then they made it what it is today..basically evolved it :)

Ha! Another step forward by America!

I'm joking. But it was very nice of him to give it to us.

greendayfan
16-07-07, 18:15
the dude has a point

Greenkey2
16-07-07, 18:16
A discovery is something that takes place in the world that someone happens to observe and/or deduce.

An invention is something a person (or persons) creates based on factual knowledge obtained from discoveries.

There, that's my definition :p

Mad Tony
16-07-07, 18:16
That all depends... if your religious, you could say that people are gods 'Best' creation, thus making people an invention.Yes, but I mean actual inventions. Something that is an invention that there's no point in debating because it's fact. Like the telephone etc.

jarhead
16-07-07, 18:17
The person who invented an easy way to generate electricity. Surely thats an invention ( the coil around a magnet or whatever)

sdp93
16-07-07, 18:18
An invention is an object, process, or technique which displays an element of novelty.

I love Wikipedia. By far one of the greatest internet inventions in my mind.

greendayfan
16-07-07, 18:21
all hail wikipedia

MAJOR LOL:D:D:D

Little-Lara
16-07-07, 18:22
Medical science.

But if I could choose one area, I'd choose Artery bypass in the heart (seeing as how we don't have a direct cure for cancer yet.)

Greenkey2
the greatest invention is ME:D:D:D

becouse im so damn sexy

the dude has a point

all hail wikipedia

MAJOR LOL:D:D:D

Greendayfan, please stop spamming.

Agent 47
Ha! Another step forward by America!

I'm joking. But it was very nice of him to give it to us.

what's more annoying is the fact that he offered the British government it first but they thought "it wouldn't be of any benefit" :eek:

so he went to the US and they developed it further

Angel666
16-07-07, 18:29
The printing press. :wve:

xcrushterx
16-07-07, 18:30
the internet, obviously :D

Sedge
16-07-07, 18:32
Yes, but I mean actual inventions. Something that is an invention that there's no point in debating because it's fact. Like the telephone etc.
I wonder if there are such things as facts anyways, because you can simply debate about everything.. :D *rolls around* Debate! Debate! Debate!

And I'm seriously thinking all the time, I just find something worth questioning and debating all the time whether something is clearly an invention or not.. Should be less earthly. :p

Yay, interesting.

xBoricua
16-07-07, 18:35
I don't think gunpowder is a great invention, in MY opinion. I think if there is meant for a war they should fight like a man and not let something else such as a trigger do the work for them. :o

- phone
- internet
- MUSIC
- cars

:D

FomarThain
16-07-07, 18:55
Semi-safe internet security, so I can order pizza online.

MillenniumMan12
16-07-07, 18:58
Is Lara Croft an invention? :D

ROLLER COASTERS! :jmp:

Agent 47
16-07-07, 19:15
just been searching the web for Inventions,to be honest i'm amazed at just how much of what we take for granted today originated in the UK :yik:

or more to the point.....Scotland

for me the most famous American invention has to be a life saver...............

MORSE CODE :D

tweetygwee
16-07-07, 19:19
Errr...

-Pi (could be argued as a discovery rather than an invention)
-The internet
-Cars
-Planes (the carbon is a bit of a dowside though :()
-TV
-Space Shuttles

xcrushterx
16-07-07, 19:28
just been searching the web for Inventions,to be honest i'm amazed at just how much of what we take for granted today originated in the UK :yik:

or more to the point.....Scotland

for me the most famous British invention has to be a life saver...............

MORSE CODE :D

Lots of inventions are from Scotland... The Television and the Telephone for example ;)

Mona Sax
16-07-07, 19:36
The wheel and electricity.

SamReeves
16-07-07, 19:52
Hmmm… :)

• 4WD
• Ice Cream
• Compact Disc
• Macintosh Computer

greendayfan
16-07-07, 19:55
for me its obvious

.PUNK
.SEX
.GUITARS

Mad Tony
16-07-07, 19:59
for me its obvious

.PUNK
.SEX
.GUITARS
Don't you get it? That is not an invention. :rolleyes:

greendayfan
16-07-07, 19:59
yeah i get your point but it sort of is in my books

well when you think about it when people first people walked this planet they had to reproduce in some way,right?.

so one of them invented sex and so it could be classified as one.

Mad Tony
16-07-07, 20:00
yeah i get your point but it sort of is in my booksWell seen as it's not an invention (no matter what it is to you) please don't post it. I made this thread specifically for people to post the greatest inventions. Nothing else.

greendayfan
16-07-07, 20:05
yeah yeah yeah whatever dude

jk

Mad Tony
16-07-07, 20:06
well when you think about it when people first people walked this planet they had to reproduce in some way,right?.

so one of them invented sex and so it could be classified as one.
No, sex is not an invention as reproduction is part of human nature. ;)

greendayfan
16-07-07, 20:08
hmmm........

The_Terminator
16-07-07, 20:09
Air conditioning.

You might laugh, but I've read that air conditioning is one of the inventions that made the sky scraper possible. Without it, there would not be breathable air on the top floors without operable windows.
...and you know that you can't have operable windows on the 100th floor of a building for pretty obvious reasons! :)

Imagine a world without sky scrapers and all of the trillions of dollars of business that takes place within those buildings.

Agent 47
16-07-07, 20:30
Air conditioning.

You might laugh, but I've read that air conditioning is one of the inventions that made the sky scraper possible. Without it, there would not be breathable air on the top floors without operable windows.
...and you know that you can't have operable windows on the 100th floor of a building for pretty obvious reasons! :)

Imagine a world without sky scrapers and all of the trillions of dollars of business that takes place within those buildings.

no need to laugh as it's true :D American invention

In 1820, British scientist and inventor Michael Faraday discovered that compressing and liquefying ammonia could chill air when the liquefied ammonia was allowed to evaporate. In 1842, Florida physician Dr. John Gorrie used compressor technology to create ice, which he used to cool air for his patients in his hospital in Apalachicola, Florida. He hoped eventually to use his ice-making machine to regulate the temperature of buildings. He even envisioned centralized air conditioning that could cool entire cities. Though his prototype leaked and performed irregularly, Gorrie was granted a patent in 1851 for his ice-making machine. His hopes for its success vanished soon afterwards when his chief financial backer died; Gorrie did not get the money he needed to develop the machine. According to his biographer Vivian M. Sherlock, he blamed the "Ice King," Frederic Tudor, for his failure, suspecting that Tudor had launched a smear campaign against his invention. Dr. Gorrie died impoverished in 1855 and the idea of air conditioning faded away for 50 years.

Early commercial applications of air conditioning were manufactured to cool air for industrial processing rather than personal comfort. In 1902 the first modern electrical air conditioning was invented by Willis Haviland Carrier. Designed to improve manufacturing process control in a printing plant, his invention controlled not only temperature but also humidity. The low heat and humidity were to help maintain consistent paper dimensions and ink alignment. Later Carrier's technology was applied to increase productivity in the workplace, and The Carrier Air Conditioning Company of America was formed to meet rising demand. Over time air conditioning came to be used to improve comfort in homes and automobiles.

Mytly
16-07-07, 21:06
The printing press, TV, computers, internet. :)

No, sex is not an invention as reproduction is part of human nature. ;)
Actually sex can be considered an invention - hundreds of millions of years ago, asexually reproducing organisms "invented" a different way to reproduce: using sex.

Catlantean
16-07-07, 21:31
The way to generate, store and transport electricity, definitely. We'd have none of this fancy modern civilization stuff without it :)

Agent 47
16-07-07, 21:37
i'm surprised no one has mentioned the finest American invention of all..................

the Video Cassette Player/Recorder.........where would we be without that fine product ?

i for one would have missed great TV shows :(

sdp93
16-07-07, 21:40
My sister says hte greatest invention is usable electricity. The electricity itself is a discovery, but they had to invent some way to use it.

Then she said the wheel.

Ada the Mental
16-07-07, 21:50
The way to generate, store and transport electricity, definitely. We'd have none of this fancy modern civilization stuff without it :)

Ditto.
And the printing press,of course.

Lara Croft!
16-07-07, 22:05
-Condoms
-Internet
-Lara Croft
-Junk food
-Hair straightener
-ipod
-Coca Cola

Joe_16
16-07-07, 22:11
Electricity definately. (The use)

Betal
16-07-07, 22:14
ROLLER COASTERS! :jmp:

Aw I must agree.:D

Spitfire
16-07-07, 22:36
iPod
Internet communications

vespertea
16-07-07, 22:37
No, you're all wrong.

The coolest invention is the CATGUN.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5079/catgun2qx3.gif

DREWY
16-07-07, 23:05
I'd have to say the lightbulb. Can you imagine what it would be like if that had never been invented?

Umm, dark?

I would say the wheel.

Punaxe
16-07-07, 23:07
Hmm very tough one really... Currently I am inclined to nominate democracy.

Sara Croft
16-07-07, 23:12
Condoms
Tomb Raider
Mc Donalds

Mr.Burns
16-07-07, 23:37
Something I'm surprised no one has mentioned: Photography. First photograph taken by Joseph Nicéphore Niépce in 1827

Tyrannosaurus
17-07-07, 05:21
There can be no question that two most important inventions in the history of mankind are language and agriculture.

*EDIT*

Okay, I've come to realize that these are probably in the realm of discoveries instead, so I'd say the alphabet.

Mad Tony
17-07-07, 06:11
Condoms
Tomb Raider
Mc Donalds
Mc Donalds is food outlet, not an invention.

Fish.
17-07-07, 06:18
Bacon. How else would we start our morning? :D

erosan
17-07-07, 06:38
cars, electricity and any kind of communicating device ...

Angelx14
17-07-07, 08:45
Internet, electricity, planes, Saki(XD) =)

Edit:
Something I'm surprised no one has mentioned: Photography. First photograph taken by Joseph Nicéphore Niépce in 1827ooh, I agree with this. ^_^

ashnar
17-07-07, 08:58
Honestly, I don't think there is a 'greatest invention' nor will there ever be(unless someone invents a wish machine that can bring world peace, cure all known diseases etc. Something out of a happy end fantasy. which is not the case). I think (imo) that every invention has its own greatness. We have electricity, but we couldn't use it unless we have light bulbs, the internet, the life draining Tv and all the rest. Same goes for any other invention which momentarily doesn't pop in my mind due to low brain function.:D

jamieoliver22
17-07-07, 09:02
Mc Donalds is food outlet, not an invention.

I am sure someone 'invented' the idea of fast food...

Cochrane
17-07-07, 09:35
I am sure someone 'invented' the idea of fast food...

Indeed, and that were the McDonald brothers…

Some of my favourites are:

Railroads, because they made long distance travel a realistic option for normal people for the first time.
Telegraphy, because this was the basis of seperating content and physical representation, thereby laying the ground for all information technology as we know it today
Indoor plumbing. That one should be obvious.
The transistor.
Gamepads with built-in coolers for my hands
Calculus. I know not everyone loves it, but it's extremely cool.

I have a bit of trouble naming things like the wheel or fire, because those are rather obvious things and not much of an invention.

Punaxe
17-07-07, 12:28
Indeed, and that were the McDonald brothers…
Actually, even the ancient Greek already had 'fast food', as can be seen from roadside shops found in digs such as Pompei. I had to do some study about it earlier, and I think there already was fast food before that, but can't remember...

My father always mentions 'the number zero' as one of the best inventions ever, but I myself have trouble seeing what specific good it has brought mankind.

Shark_Blade
17-07-07, 12:30
Music and internet:)

viper456
17-07-07, 12:35
the humble pencil :)!

a_pok
17-07-07, 12:36
in my oppenion, the most important invention is: the computer because of the internet and video games(TR!!!!)

Rickéh
17-07-07, 13:55
Music. :]

touchmyheart
17-07-07, 13:58
The internet is probably the most useful thing in the world ever! Need to know how to make something, odds are you'll find instructions on the net. Its just so fantastic in every way!

Also: Toast :D

Gregori
17-07-07, 14:15
The Wheel, duhhhhh!!!

irjudd
17-07-07, 14:23
Hormonal Contraceptive! Condoms=Blech!

petujaymz
17-07-07, 15:41
Imagine a world without cheese and gasoline.

:wve:

Mad Tony
17-07-07, 15:50
:jmp:I am sure someone 'invented' the idea of fast food...Yes, someone did. But McDonald's didn't.

Lara'sLover
17-07-07, 15:54
Music and internet, Couldn't live without both!:D

viper456
17-07-07, 15:54
Imagine a world without cheese and gasoline.

:wve:

the horror!!!! :(! not even worth thinking about, to upsetting :(

tomblover
17-07-07, 15:59
TR, brie and salt crackers (Or are those two discoveries?) and the computer/internet.

Ikas90
17-07-07, 18:56
Internet, electricity, planes, Saki(XD) =)

Aww... It definitely has to be Agnes! :p :hug:

And the internet, which led me to her, hehe. :D

maximum_123
17-07-07, 18:59
Hmmm.... My chain:

TRF therefore INTERNET therefore COMPUTER therefore ELECTRICITY :)

Legends
17-07-07, 19:11
Music :) I can't imagine life without music :)

I agree! Music is Life!

paul123456
17-07-07, 19:13
Videos. Where does the sound come from?

And DVDs/CDs

jamieoliver22
17-07-07, 19:16
Videos. Where does the sound come from?

Your mind.... :whi::mis:

MrBear
17-07-07, 19:18
I agree that a world without music would be unbearable (and unthinkable, we would always have some sort of music), but I don't think it's appropriate as an invention... anyways, I would say writing :) I know others have already said 'the alphabet' and 'writing press', but still.. without it we wouldn't have the same amount of knowledge about ancient Greece, we wouldn't have Shakespeare, and so on... and I wouldn't be typing this :p

Jacen
17-07-07, 20:01
Greatest invention ever eh? How about words? Would be rather tough to express yourself without them, I imagine.

M1K3Y-7
17-07-07, 20:04
:jmp:my favourite is: spinny chairs!!:jmp:WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jmp:

da tomb raider!
17-07-07, 20:31
Tomb Raider, PlayStation 2 and the Internet! :D

sdp93
17-07-07, 20:37
Umm, dark?

Really? I hadn't thought of that.

BoyTRaider
17-07-07, 20:50
I think that paper has to be one of the greatest inventions ever. :)
Otherwise, we would still be carving ideas on rocks.

Fish.
17-07-07, 20:51
Jagex Ltd. :D

sdp93
17-07-07, 20:58
I think that paper has to be one of the greatest inventions ever. :)
Otherwise, we would still be carving ideas on rocks.

I don't think paper was really an invention. It was more of a development on a discovery. There was papyrus and parchments, etc.

BoyTRaider
17-07-07, 21:00
Well, don't you have to manufacture it with trees and such, thus making it an invention? Lol, correct me if I'm wrong as I am no smart guy about these things.

sdp93
17-07-07, 22:16
Technically, the machines and manufacturing equiptment would be inventions, not the paper. I could be wrong though.

kooky
17-07-07, 22:40
Books, Music, philosophy, TV, Video games, Can't live without these!! :D

v.dog
17-07-07, 22:57
Inventions that changed the world are probaly the greatest:
indoor plumbing, and the toilet
aircraft
computers
internet
lightbulbs
radio
telegrams/telephone
steam engine
recordable media
cameras
guns
disinfectants and soaps
plastics
rockets
cars

ARU-lara
17-07-07, 23:14
Paper is an invention.
It is considered one of the four great inventions of ancient China.
And it was also made in Egypt. (by the papyrus plant as someone suggested above)