PDA

View Full Version : Anyone camping out for Harry Potter?

tlr online
17-07-07, 20:44
My missus and me will be joining our local town at midnight on Friday. The shops are organising a party for the release of the book. I'm actually really looking forward to the carnival atmosphere.

Anyone else got any plans?

Rivendell
17-07-07, 20:46
Waiting at Midnight over here too :jmp:
Going with one of my mates, even dressing up (http://i12.************/623f385.jpg) as it's the last book! :D :( :D

I may try and sleep through thursday just so friday arrives quicker..

tlr online
17-07-07, 20:51
Going with one of my mates, even dressing up (http://i12.************/623f385.jpg) as it's the last book! :D :( :D

:D :tmb:

Angel_14
17-07-07, 20:52
I have to wait 1 more year to get it :(

Dixie
17-07-07, 20:53
I may just run down to the grocery store at midnight. I just want my book. I don't want to watch five-year-olds cast imaginary spells with plastic wands...not to mention there is a big chance that someone will be running around spoiling the book at these parties. Wherever I get my book(Grocery store or book store), I'm wearing ear plugs until I'm safely back in my room reading. Some people might remember the "Drive-by Spoiler" on the night of the HBP release...

viper456

LMFAO Chris, that lens flare on your wand cracked me up!

sdp93

Your scar's the wrong color.

Anyway, I'm not doing anything. I'm probably not even going to read the book (don't ask why, I have my reasons and they're very difficult to explain).

Have fun though.

touchmyheart
No...I always wondered what it would be like. But near to me all the release of a Harry Potter book ever does it create massive queing and thats it. No real atmosphere at all, which is a shame :o

Edit: Nice pic Riv

Mr.Burns
17-07-07, 20:57
I'm trying to get some friends to go out on Friday night but, no one wants to, looks like I'll be going Saturday morning :rolleyes:

BoyTRaider
17-07-07, 20:58
Lol Chris :D

Well, I'm planning on it :).. and even trying to get some of my friends to come along with me, but it's not working - so unfortunately I'll either go alone or not go at all.

Angelus
17-07-07, 20:58

Why? :eek:

I'm getting up early on Saturday morning and venturing into town to get my copy. :D

Nemo_91
17-07-07, 21:00
Because we live in Hungary. -.- Somebody will translate the book :D

Angelus
17-07-07, 21:01
I still don't get why you have to wait a year... surely it is released worldwide at the same time?

Nemo_91
17-07-07, 21:02
The English version is released in Hungary, but we have to wait for the Hungarian version.

Angel_14
17-07-07, 21:03
I still don't get why you have to wait a year... surely it is released worldwide at the same time?

They have to translate it to make it understandable for people who don't speak or don't want to read English.

Angelus
17-07-07, 21:04
The English version is released in Hungary, but we have to wait for the Hungarian version.

They have to translate it to make it understandable for people who don't speak or don't want to read English.

Oh, I'm sorry. :(

I'm sorry if I seem rude, but why don't you buy the English version?

Nemo_91
17-07-07, 21:05
My english is too bad to understand the whole book.

Angel_14
17-07-07, 21:06
Oh, I'm sorry. :(

I'm sorry if I seem rude, but why don't you buy the English version?

Hmm, good idea. My English is really good anyway, so I don't see why not :D

Nemo - Too bad for you... :(

Tomb Raider Master
The shop in my city that is famous by selling this kind of books is one of four shops in my country that will be selling this book exactly at Saturday night, midnight. Although I doubt there will be as crowded as in England for example to get the English version of the book. But since I'm not in the city at that time, I won't get it among the first, nor will any of my friends (so far). I still don't know should I wait for it to be translated on my native language first, or should I take the English version, because I'm very excited.

Mad Tony
I might do. I've pre-ordered it anyway. :p

FourBalls
And it takes a year for them to translate it? Woah, that's a long time. :(...But won't the English version come out on the 21st in Hungary as well?

Nemo_91
17-07-07, 21:07
And it takes a year for them to translate it? Woah, that's a long time. :(...But won't the English version come out on the 21st in Hungary as well?

It will.

Angel_14
17-07-07, 21:08

It will and I'm probably going to buy it. It can't be harder than the first five, because I read them in English too.

Scottlee
17-07-07, 21:09
I'll be getting the book but probably not for a couple of months or so (I did the same thing with the last one that came out). I don't want to look like a 26 year old fanboy stood at the front of the queue on opening night waving a homemade 'wand' in the face of anyone who tries to take my spot. I still have nightmares of the time I bought Steps Greatest Hits in Morrisons and the checkout lady shouted into a microphone "CAN WE HAVE THE DISC TO STEPS GREATEST HITS TO CHECKOUT NINE PLEASE!"

It should be a good book this one. Half Blood Prince was slightly weak because the final third was 100% a bridge leading into Deathly Hallows rather than an ending in its own right, something the previous five books had all avoided.

Angelus
17-07-07, 21:10
My english is too bad to understand the whole book.

Your English seems fine to me. :) But if you feel like you can't understand the book, then that's fair enough.

Hmm, good idea. My English is really good anyway, so I don't see why not :D

Nemo - Too bad for you... :(

I thought you were English!

FourBalls
17-07-07, 21:12
It will and I'm probably going to buy it. It can't be harder than the first five, because I read them in English too.
Cool XD Yeah I'm gonna do that too...Can't be bothered to wait another 2-3 months.

krycekuva
17-07-07, 21:19
so,.. does he died at the end????

Dixie
17-07-07, 21:20
so,.. does he died at the end????

No one knows...And anyone who does...shut up.

tlr online
17-07-07, 21:28
No one knows...And anyone who does...shut up.
LOL!

Forwen
17-07-07, 21:32
What? What? HP7? When? Haha. Another grand entrance after Shrek 3 I'd missed entirely until I almost walked right into it.

Anyway, so soon? I don't really expect Rowling to have taken the last chance to save the dramatically degrading quality of her storytelling, but still I thought the wait would be at least a year longer. I'll read it to have the series finished, but don't expect much entertainment. Not since that shameful mess of a plot that was HP5. She should've sticked to a medium, compact format of her first three books - beyond HP4 the plot and the world have been packed with so many story tracks leading nowhere and random details of unspecified relevance that nothing of it stays in the memory. Apart maybe from the constipation sensation gripping the nation and the twins' grand... exit from the school in HP5, but then again we are talking Fred and George here. Rowling would have to commit several other bulky Goyle-like senseless volumes to bring them down.

All in all, the series has always been bubble-gum to beging with, but now it's probably about to lose the rest of its flavour.

Angel_14
17-07-07, 21:35
I thought you were English!

Boy, I get that a lot... XD

Sedge
17-07-07, 22:04
Nope, not camping for it. My brother promised to order it for me from Amazon, so I'll be getting it.. Uh.. Well I don't know when, but I've heard the delivery is pretty quick? Even when I do live in Finland and it comes from UK.. :p (At least it's much cheaper that way, I don't want to stand in a queue forever and pay 30 euros)

By the way, what edition are people planning to buy/have ordered? I guess it doesn't really matter, but I chose "Adult edition" just because the cover was more like my taste.. :D

Oh, and Nemo, my English is not perfect(har, har) either. Believe me, you don't even HAVE TO understand every single word, just so that the whole comes clear.. And with what I've seen, your language skill is just enough! :) I just read Chamber of Secrets in English myself for the first time, and it was not that hard at all! And of course you can have a dictionary near if there's something really important you'd like to check.. I think it's more "rewarding" reading the original, you see just how Rowling wanted to type the words and so. Though of course the translators do their best also, at least I like how our Finnish assembler has done the job.. Very creative wording, I'd say!
But yay, consider, waiting for a whole year could turn out being rather frustrating. If you're a fan, that is. Anyways, why not give it a try? ;)

Angel666
17-07-07, 22:48
I'm going at midnight too. I am kind of worried about spoilers though.

Dakaruch
17-07-07, 22:54

so do i... :(

Dixie
17-07-07, 23:00
I'm going at midnight too. I am kind of worried about spoilers though.

Do what I'm doing: Wear ear plugs.

Geck-o-Lizard
17-07-07, 23:19
I'd love to, but I haven't preordered, and I doubt my friends would want to come with me anyway. :p

Titanium
17-07-07, 23:27
My missus and me will be joining our local town at midnight on Friday. The shops are organising a party for the release of the book. I'm actually really looking forward to the carnival atmosphere.

Will you go as a HP character? :whi:

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7957/santangharruxpotter2309bs9.png (http://imageshack.us)

For anyone who wants to be mean. Once you get your book, go to a corner and pretend to look at the end and then scream out two characters names and scream "They die!?":eek:

LegenDarY
18-07-07, 00:28
What? What? HP7? When? Haha. Another grand entrance after Shrek 3 I'd missed entirely until I almost walked right into it.

Anyway, so soon?
It's been two years since HBP.

For anyone who wants to be mean. Once you get your book, go to a corner and pretend to look at the end and then scream out two characters names and scream "They die!?":eek:
And get killed in return? :D I would go mad if someone would actually do that.

Anyway, I wish I could get it at midnight. I'm seriously considering letting someone else work at midnight so I can run to the bookstore from work, buy the book and get back to work :D.

Ada the Mental
18-07-07, 01:06
Saturday morning for me and my also-obsessed friends. No bookstores will open on Friday midnight just for the handfull of people who won't wait for the translated version.

I'm also trying to convince my friends to dress up.

K.J
18-07-07, 01:09
Isn't the book already out on the net?:confused:

findme
18-07-07, 01:15

i believe they're just fan fictions?

Sat morning for me also. Tesco always has it less than half price :P

I'm still wanting to goto a midnight party though.

tlr online
18-07-07, 01:18
Will you go as a HP character? :whi:

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7957/santangharruxpotter2309bs9.png (http://imageshack.us)

:vlol:

Lenochka
18-07-07, 01:43

Yup, i believe the book leaked, I read it on a site earlier today.

VonCroy360
18-07-07, 04:24
I'm definitely going. There won't be a big release party as there aren't many people here, but me and a friend are still going early on friday... :)

Shark_Blade
18-07-07, 05:54
I will too. It's the last book as it is:)

Stig911
18-07-07, 06:16
I think I am. Cos Its every1s last day of skool but im not a skool cos i have collage on friday but theirs no collage and im always first in line at Waterstones In Leamington outside the Priors. Ill be their 5 in the evening wiv my sleeping bag and bar of chokolate. C u all their... WoopWoop!

Rivendell
18-07-07, 07:21

Anyone who does such a thing within 500 metres of me on Friday night, will find themselves with a wand jammed up their nose before they can say Expelliarmus.

You have been warned.
;)

RockSteady101
18-07-07, 08:37
Anyone who does such a thing within 500 metres of me on Friday night, will find themselves with a wand jammed up their nose before they can say Expelliarmus.

You have been warned.
;)

Ewww...Troll Boggies

I Love To Qoute :D

L.C
18-07-07, 08:45
You bet I'll be at my local Waterstone's for the witching hour :cln:

I've got the children's edition pre-ordered, but I might indulge myself with an adult version as well because I love the cover art.

My attempts to dress up, however, may result in a strange cross between Bellatrix and Professor Sprout (if you can imagine!), so I plan to go as a muggle.

even dressing up (http://i12.************/623f385.jpg) ..Awww, you didn't use my version of your picture (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/ling2c/RivHP.jpg):p

Greenkey2
18-07-07, 09:12

I'm not camping out (having it delivered via owl), but dear oh dear you know how to tempt me :D

Clara [CA]
18-07-07, 10:02
I ordered it. But some friends are going to camp out at Waterstone too, so I might join them for a bit, stay all the evening... and buy the book :p

XD ! Now see, that's the very reason why they invented such things as Ipods.

B/w, if you go, take some pics, people !