PDA

View Full Version : I just wasted 1.50!!


greendayfan
19-07-07, 10:05
I went to the shops and brought a family sized bar of cadbralies choclate.When i got home i quickly got the idea that i could melt it in a bowl and basicly eaten meltan chockie{yum yum:D}.

BUT i dident expect this would happen.I broke it up into small blocks and then placed it in my mircorwave{in a bowl of couse}.A few minutes later i checked it and to my horror the chockie was burning!.It had gone crispy and hard,there was quit a bit of smoke coming off it as well.

I couldent eat it like that so i had to throw it away!.

I cannot beleave i just wasted .1.50
:(:(:(

Fish.
19-07-07, 10:06
You should have added a little bit of water so it didn't burn.

greendayfan
19-07-07, 10:08
oh man ! thats wot i should have done.

{Bangs head against wall:hea:}

xcrushterx
19-07-07, 10:08
That's why you're supposed to melt chocolate in a bowl that is sitting in a pot (or whatever) of boiling water. ;) Microwaving chocolate just cooks it :).

BtoFu
19-07-07, 10:09
I went to the shops and brought a family sized bar of cadbralies choclate.(

:vlol:

Sorry...early morning and all.

greendayfan
19-07-07, 10:11
i feel really stupid now.

i wish i had done that in the first place

xcrushterx
19-07-07, 10:14
If you put it in the microwave, not a bowl in a pot of water, then you should stop the micro every 10-30 seconds to stir it so that it doesn't burn and cook lol .

greendayfan
19-07-07, 10:20
ok,i will try that in future

Greenkey2
19-07-07, 10:21
1.50?

Sorry, but unless you mistyped the decimal point it doesn't seem too much of a loss (and no one I know would spend 150 worth of chocolate in one go).

greendayfan
19-07-07, 10:27
yeah,unless you read it right i spent and wasted 1.50 on choclate

xcrushterx
19-07-07, 10:45
yeah,unless you read it right i spent and wasted 1.50 on choclate
Yes, and she's saying that £1.50 isn't that big a loss. Even if it was wasted ;)

greendayfan
19-07-07, 10:56
ok then

Geck-o-Lizard
19-07-07, 11:05
Not exactly a fortune lost... :rolleyes:

Btw, next time, forget using a microwave. Fill a pan with boiling water on the cooker, and set a bowl floating in the water. Put the chocolate in the bowl and leave it to melt. Since you seem to be quite young you should get your mum or dad to help you so you don't end up scalding yourself.

Also, next time, use cooking chocolate, not a regular chocolate bar. Cooking chocolate is designed to melt nicely; regular chocolate is designed to hold its shape when it gets warm, and if you try to melt a Cadbury/Galaxy/Yorkie/etc bar in anything except your trouser pocket, it'll just go lumpy and burnt.

ben_the_joka
19-07-07, 11:13
people, let's not dwell over the loss of money...

let us mourn over the loss of sweet sweet chocolate! :OOO

greendayfan
19-07-07, 11:17
major lol:D:D

im 15 and i can keep myself safe;)

ben_the_joka
19-07-07, 11:39
Not exactly a fortune lost... :rolleyes:

Btw, next time, forget using a microwave. Fill a pan with boiling water on the cooker, and set a bowl floating in the water. Put the chocolate in the bowl and leave it to melt. Since you seem to be quite young you should get your mum or dad to help you so you don't end up scalding yourself.

Also, next time, use cooking chocolate, not a regular chocolate bar. Cooking chocolate is designed to melt nicely; regular chocolate is designed to hold its shape when it gets warm, and if you try to melt a Cadbury/Galaxy/Yorkie/etc bar in anything except your trouser pocket, it'll just go lumpy and burnt.

i didnt read this 1st time round:

itsa good advice mario ! (y)

Tomb Raider Master
19-07-07, 12:43
Come on, 1.50 really isn't that much.

petujaymz
19-07-07, 14:55
Ever heard of a bain-marie babes?

Now you know for next time...

Click - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain_Marie

:wve:

Sedge
19-07-07, 15:22
If you put it in the microwave, not a bowl in a pot of water, then you should stop the micro every 10-30 seconds to stir it so that it doesn't burn and cook lol .
Yup, that's true! ^__^ Works so.

And don't worry, same has happened to me when I first tried that some years ago.. :p

rewak
19-07-07, 15:23
Haha! A friend of mine did the exact same thing and he set his kitchen on fire!

SoulReaver74
19-07-07, 15:31
1.50, anybody would think you spent your'e entire college fund, just joking with ya.:D

myrmaad
19-07-07, 15:40
The person who suggested seconds instead of MINUTES is absolutely correct.

It's fine to melt chocolate in a microwave, but the very best way to do it, is to put it in a small bowl or container with about a tablespoon of peanut butter per 2-3 ounces of chocolate.
Or in other words: about 15 grams of Peanut butter for every 60-90 grams of chocolate. You needn't be too exact. It will melt much better and should be melted in about 20 seconds.

Izzie404
19-07-07, 16:00
Yea, Microwaves evaporate the water inside anything, so it would be expected to burn if there was no other suppliance of water. I would definitely go with the bowl in boiling water method. ;)