PDA

View Full Version : The Video Game Endings which you Weren't Expecting

Alive_and_Funky
21-07-07, 20:38
Most of the time you're not really surprised by how a game ends, be it the villain getting their comeuppance, the hero saving the day, or something else which is pretty normal. Every now and again, though, there will be a game which surprises you, sometimes in a good way, and sometimes in a bad way (*stares at True Crime: Streets of LA*). So which were the video game endings which you weren't expecting?
Here are the ones which I didn't expect:

True Crime: Streets of LA

It wasn't True Crime's ending which surprised me, more of what led up to the ending. I expected the whole game to be cop-like antics, but when you are getting near to the end of the game, what you have to do is far from cop-like.

Kingdom Hearts

I would probably end up spoiling Kingdom Hearts' ending no matter how much I tried to avoid it, so here's what I thought of it in the spoiler-hiding white font.
Kingdom Hearts ended in pretty much the opposite way to which I thought it would.

Shadow of the Colossus

This is the game ending which made me come up with this topic. Judging by what Dormin said near the beginning of the game, I thought the game would end on a bit of a downer. Did it? I won't say, but I will say that I didn't really understand the ending, and I don't think I was supposed to. What happened wasn't explained very well, and I certainly didn't expect the game to end the way it did. It was a pretty odd ending. :p

By the way, if you do actually post how a game ends, or post something which could spoil the game in anyway, could you please consider typing the spoiler/s in white font? Thanks. :)

Angelus
21-07-07, 20:55
Tomb Raider: Legend

So I waited 3 years for a short game which ends on a cliffhanger? Yay. :rolleyes:

Rivendell
21-07-07, 20:58
Resident Evil 4:

Leon turned down Ashley's... carnal offer.

:p

Sara Croft
21-07-07, 21:05
Tomb Raider 4. I just did not see Lara's death coming. I was shocked and sad :(

Angel_14
21-07-07, 21:17
AoD. I was like "Wow. That's it?" and wanted to play with it to find out what happened with Kurtis. :(

FomarThain
21-07-07, 22:18
Diablo 2. I should have figured out that was Bhaal but I didn't.:o

Catapharact
21-07-07, 22:42
Resident Evil 4:

Leon turned down Ashley's... carnal offer.

:p

You think that was bad?

Ninja Gaiden: Ryu and Rachel.

Its the first time I actually saw an emotionally detached game character actually REMAIN emtionally detached.

Dakaruch
21-07-07, 23:07
Diablo 2. I should have figured out that was Bhaal but I didn't.:o

when we think thats tyrael talking to the oldman who have the baal soulstone?

BtoFu
21-07-07, 23:13
You think that was bad?

Ninja Gaiden: Ryu and Rachel.

Its the first time I actually saw an emotionally detached game character actually REMAIN emtionally detached.

To be fair...Rachel did kinda suck. :D

I can't really think of any...games being more noteable for cheap and thematically wrapped up endings rather than something surprising. I suppose Metal Gear Solid 2 is the biggest doozie I can come up with.

AmericanAssassin
21-07-07, 23:20
Tomb Raider: Legend - I was surprised because I thought the game was only, like, half over... not completely! :p

bloodstormaoa
21-07-07, 23:23
To be fair...Rachel did kinda suck. :D

She did? Can't see why he turned her down so :whi:

I wasn't expecting Ico's ending. Twas a teeny bit of a let down.

K.J
21-07-07, 23:36
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Too many cliffhangers imo:(

tombraiderluka
21-07-07, 23:37
AoD. I was like "Wow. That's it?" and wanted to play with it to find out what happened with Kurtis. :(
Same here... :(

Angelus
22-07-07, 11:49
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

It was a good ending, but it was really unexpected - a really good twist, in my opinion. :)

tomblover
22-07-07, 11:52
TR4, and I have to say, Heavy Metal FAKK 2, if anyone here has played it.

rewak
22-07-07, 11:52
Killer7

One of the best endings ever!

Bloodrayne 2

Such a damn cliffhanger its unreal!

Sedge
22-07-07, 12:28
Uh.. Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge(although everything in that game was unpredictable). :D

And yup, Tomb Raider 4 - The Last Revelation also.

Noodleboy
22-07-07, 12:35
Fatal Frame 2
I didn't expect Mio to kill her twin sister for the ritual :( So sad..

BtoFu
22-07-07, 12:41
Fatal Frame 2
... So sad..

You might want to slap a spoiler warning on that one. ;)

ascho
22-07-07, 13:14
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

It was a good ending, but it was really unexpected - a really good twist, in my opinion. :)

i have too agree with you i didn't expect it but from how the first ended it makes sense

Beyond good and evil.
another unexpected ending, the worst part of all no one played this game, and there won't be a continuation on this game

rejectedpunk9
22-07-07, 18:00
KH - real opposite of what i expected. (but kh2 ending was more like it:p)
monkey island - the secret off the ending, i was like what?!?:hea:

gtkilla
22-07-07, 18:07
KH2 - When Sora first finds Kairi & Riku. He just says something like "oh hi, Kairi, I was looking for you." and gives her a small hug, I think. Then when he finds Riku, he's all like on his knees holding Riku's hand and crying while saying "*sob* I l--looked *sob* everywhere for *sob* y--you!". :rolleyes: The little queer..

It's not really the ending, but it happened towards the end of the game.

Legend of Lara
22-07-07, 19:46
Viewtiful Joe 2

The game ends on a huge gigantic super cliffhanger...

...AND THE STORY IS NEVER CONTINUED!!! Thanks to Capcom disbanding Clover before they could dish out Viewtiful Joe 3 and Clover vaisting their time on spin-off games VJ: Red Hot Rumble and VJ: Double Trouble, I'll never see the end! :(

Shadow the Hedgehog

Shadow is trapped in space for good. YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

But Sega had to bring him back for the next game. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

FomarThain
22-07-07, 21:59
when we think thats tyrael talking to the oldman who have the baal soulstone?

Yeah.:)

Awesome CGI though when he is revealed.:D

ThomasCroft
22-07-07, 21:59
TRL for obvious reasons.
TR4 for obvious reasons.
Fatal Frame 1/Project Zero.

nicola1986
23-07-07, 13:59
TR4 definitely, my mouth dropped open at that one :)

irjudd
23-07-07, 14:28
I didn't quite expect all of the surprises in Final Fantasy 10.

I didn't expect Jecht to be, well, Sin basically. I didn't expect to have to kill all of my Aeons, I didn't expect that Tidus wasn't real, or whatever the heck it meant, and I certainly didn't see Auron being dead.

maximum_123
23-07-07, 14:33
Shenmue 2 - The first ending was easily guessed but in S 2 i was like... whoah! :p

TR4 - Well, Von Croy you... *Scratches head* you... you... moo!

BtoFu
23-07-07, 16:49
Now that I think about it, Onimusha 2 has a fairly non-Capcom ending - abrupt, not very cheesy nor is it entirely happy either if you follow the longer scenario playthrough.