PDA

View Full Version : Worst Flood's in UK Modern History

Jack Croft
23-07-07, 18:27
Latest Update's and News at www.sky.com/news (http://www.sky.com/news).

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1276465,00.html (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1276465,00.html)

River Thames is abut to burst and London could be next to flood. Mass evacuations happening all over affected regions.

My thoughts with people who have lost houses and belongings in the floods, may you make a fine recovery. :(

There have been mass evacuations across central and southern England as Britain suffers its worst flooding in living memory.

Tens of thousands of people are without electricity or clean water, and thousands of homes have been flooded.

Water levels are not expected to peak for another 24 to 36 hours. At their height, some rivers will be more than 20ft higher than normal.

Two of Britain's major rivers - the Avon and the Severn - have already burst their banks.

The Thames is in danger of bursting soon, threatening areas in the Home Counties and London.

Gloucestershire is likely to be hit by yet more flooding as the Severn is expected to rise once again in the early hours.

Severn Trent Water confirmed "at least" 350,000 homes in the county will be without water by this evening. More than 40,000 families are already without power.

Sainsbury's is donating a million litres of water to people in the Gloucestershire area

The peak level of the Thames is expected to travel through Oxford at about 2.45am and Abingdon at about 6.45am. </H4>

Environment Secretary Hilary Benn has told MPs the flooding emergency is "far from over".

West London and the Thames Valley could be the next parts of Britain to go underwater as the floods spread east.

Hundreds of homes could be flooded when torrential rain hits the capital (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1276602,00.html)in the next 24 hours.

Facilities at the UK's nuclear warhead Atomic Weapons Establishment's sites in Aldermaston and Burghfield, near Reading, were affected.

A sewage plant flooded on one of the sites but tests carried out on flood water for potential radiation discovered no contamination.

The Environment Agency (http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/flood/floodwarning/) has issued flood warnings for several stretches of the Thames from Oxford, through Windsor to Shepperton and Teddington.

Police in Gloucestershire (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1276587,00.html) have warned that the "unprecedented" crisis has not passed.

Monsoon-like rainstorms have overwhelmed swathes of Oxfordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire and Gloucestershire (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1276500,00.html) - and insurers have said the final repair bill could top &#163;2bn.

The floods have been described as the worst in modern history.

An Environment Agency spokesman said: "We have not seen flooding of this magnitude before. The benchmark was 1947 and this has already exceeded it."

Stranded residents have been evacuated from their houses by helicopter (http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-1276440,00.html), and massive disruption has been caused to road and rail networks (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1244852,00.html).

Gordon Brown has been to Gloucestershire to see the devastation caused by flooding.

Police at an emergency services briefing in Gloucester said the water treatment works could be out of action for at least a week - and possibly two before it would be fully operative again.

This would have serious implications for water supply in the Gloucester, Didsbury and Cheltenham areas, they warned.

The crisis has sparked panic-buying in supermarkets, with shortages of milk, bread, water and petrol all reported.

Forecasters have said there will be no let-up in the rainfall (http://news.sky.com/skynews/weather) in the week ahead.

Greenkey2
23-07-07, 19:29
It's a disaster alright, but let's not forget that other people in the north of the country are being flooded out for the second time in less than a month.

The problem has expanded to include places further south, but with the amount of rain we've had there's no let up for those who were just starting the cleanup operation.

My heart goes out to everyone caught up in these floods :(

LegenDarY
23-07-07, 20:31
Wow, one thread about flooding, another one about extreme heat. The global warming is really starting to show.

The weather over here doesn't make sense at all anymore. We have rain, sun, lightning, storm and hail in one day. It doesn't stay the same kind of weather for more than 1 or 2 days.

FullmetalEd
23-07-07, 21:14
Holy Jeez, how did I not hear about this? I may live in the US but I know when we were affected by Huracane Katrina, it was heard about world wide.

This sounds horrible!!!

I just called my mom about it, apperently the company she works for (Vodafone), which has it's main offices over there, apperently their headquarters flooded last week.

I'm so sorry this is happening.

Mad Tony
23-07-07, 22:11
Looks like Gordon Brown's blaming this on climate change. Bull****. I read that these are the worst floods in 60 years. These things happen every so often. If it were climate change, if would be getting more extreme and worse every year. But it's not.

Sara Croft
23-07-07, 22:12
The funny thing is.. Many contries are drying out now.. Well, I expect no less tbh, though I feel sorry for those who has to face the problems :(

Mad Tony
23-07-07, 22:13
The funny thing is.. Many contries are drying out now.. Well, I expect no less tbh, though I feel sorry for those who has to face the problems :(Dying out? If you mean Britain then a few floods is hardly dying out.

Sara Croft
23-07-07, 22:15
Dying out? If you mean Britain then a few floods is hardly dying out.
I mean other contries. There's no rain there. The countries are as dry as Britain is wet.

Mad Tony
23-07-07, 22:16
I mean other contries. There's no rain there. The countries are as dry as Britain is wet.I read it wrong. I thought you said dying out. :p

Oh, yeah, I guess they are. That's just the way things work sometimes I guess. I remember a couple of years ago, England was in quite a severe drought. We're doing fine now.

calico25
23-07-07, 22:48
I heard about the UK flooding today from a friend there. My thoughts and prayers are with you all there. We get bad flooding here in Texas and so i know how horrible it can be.

Lew
23-07-07, 22:56
****s sake it's ****ing me of this ****ing weather! Wheres SUMMER! Heatwave my arse!

jarhead
23-07-07, 23:09
Lets remember theres a balance in life, and weather. Last year we had a blinding July and a good summer, this year we wont. I was still hoping for that one day of summer we were promised, but it hasn't come yet. Guess summer was in march then this year

Real Life Raider
23-07-07, 23:55
The flood situations in the UK have little to do with 'Global Warming'

The UK has always had a lot of rain.

The rain fell on the land, where it soaked down to the bedrock where it emerged later into brooks and streams and rivers.

Now the rain lands on the miles of asphalt roads, carparks and precincts we've built in the last 30 years, straight into a drainage sytem that then flows into the nearest river, which then floods.

Marvellous.

:(

Jack Croft
24-07-07, 08:17
The Met Office said last year 2007 would be one fo the hottest years and have heat waves it didnt turn out like it did it we dont have a summer this year instead we got rain which is forecast for the rest of the week. :(

CuteKittenlol
24-07-07, 08:46
This sucks ass =/

Flooding is awful, Sheffield city centre flooded a couple of weeks back and people died and loads still have no home =/ More flooding in London is awful :(

Mahhh, about the Summer thing...it's ACTUALLY sunny right now! Bet it'll go grey and get cold later :pi:

Mad Tony
24-07-07, 09:21
Lets remember theres a balance in life, and weather. Last year we had a blinding July and a good summer, this year we wont. I was still hoping for that one day of summer we were promised, but it hasn't come yet. Guess summer was in march then this yearOn the contrary, I thought last summer was terrible. It was simply too hot for my liking.
Although, this summer hasn't been particularly nice either, but I welcome the change from last year.

nicola1986
24-07-07, 09:47
If you think back to around March - April, it was unusually hot, there was no rain hardly at all here.
Now we're paying for it I think.

Here's what is says on BBC about why we are having this much rain.

CLICK (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6911918.stm) :)

It's really awful, I feel so bad for everyone who has been affected by the flooding and those who have lost someone because of it all :(

Titanium
24-07-07, 23:55
Yes this is horrible, and with more rain coming soon... :(

I heard also that a shop was selling their bottled water for something like 150. I mean, thats just wrong.

nicola1986
25-07-07, 09:29
I saw on news last night that people were supposed to take two crates of water for their family and the news reporter chased down one family with about eight in the back of his car!
When they asked them if they needed it, they drove off, can't believe the selfishness!:mad:

kryptonite23
25-07-07, 10:01
Wow,that is a total disaster,I am lucky that I am not there.:)

nicola1986
25-07-07, 10:11
A little piccy I found from either Cheltenham, Gloucester or Tewkesbury.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images//fd_1000_story08d3937c467693a0fcda71e76df91180_149x 146_150x150.jpg

Apparently one town is an island and to get there they use a boat :(

Tthe Spirit
25-07-07, 10:55
I am sorry to hear about this...

this is very tragic...

natural disasters are very horrible and scary...

Another Lara
25-07-07, 13:11
It's terribel to see all the picture son the news of how devastaed some parts of Britain have been!

But when you see it on the news it still always seems so far away.
But now they are talking about the Thames overflowing and that London may have to close their flood barriers...if they do that, where I live will be screwed! Thousands of people call the spot of marshland I live on, home and yet it's still treated as a last natural flood defence by London!:mad:

jarhead
25-07-07, 13:16
Yer but most of canvey is just muddy water flatland marsh though. Come to think of it, everywhere near basildon and this area is pretty flat.

nicola1986
25-07-07, 14:22
I read somewhere that because of over-crowding in England, loads of properties are being built on flood plains rather than around flood plains which is causing a lot of these problems.

I wonder if the people that live on them even know they're on a flood plain?

Mad Tony
25-07-07, 14:38
I read somewhere that because of over-crowding in England, loads of properties are being built on flood plains rather than around flood plains which is causing a lot of these problems.
Yeah, that's right. Instead of closing the boarders and deporting illegal immigrants, the government are just building more and more houses.

Worthless fools.

Another Lara
25-07-07, 14:41
Most people now know I think that their houses are built on floodplains and apparently the government are going ahead with building a few million more on floodplains, and that the floodings that people are experiencing won't be taken into account because they're just a one off...although I can't see how they can say that when they have been putting all our taxes up in order to bring down global warning... wish the government would stop contradicting themselves!:mad:

Mad Tony
25-07-07, 14:42
Most people now know I think that their houses are built on floodplains and apparently the government are going ahead with building a few million more on floodplains, and that the floodings that people are experiencing won't be taken into account because they're just a one off...although I can't see how they can say that when they have been putting all our taxes up in order to bring down global warning... wish the government would stop contradicting themselves!:mad:Exactly! In my opinion, "climate change" is just an excuse to raise taxes.

Another Lara
25-07-07, 14:44
Yer but most of canvey is just muddy water flatland marsh though. Come to think of it, everywhere near basildon and this area is pretty flat.

When the big floods in 1953 came to the east of England, London wasn't hit because Canvey was in the way and took the brunt of it... 50 odd people lost their lives on Canvey that night, but hey, as long as London's safe, eh, we can afford for that to happen again, I mean after all it's only a marshy island full of Essex people!:rolleyes:

nicola1986
25-07-07, 14:45
Yeah, that's right. Instead of closing the boarders and deporting illegal immigrants, the government are just building more and more houses.

Worthless fools.

That's my opinion exactly, couldn't have said it any better :)

jackles
25-07-07, 15:05
The rain is natures way of redressing the balance after last years drought.

My friend lives in Worcester which was badly hit and they narrowly missed spending the night stuck on the M5.........if they had been travelling at their usual time...another friend has had their house flooded and they were gutted that the pub is closed for a month after being flooded.

I however live slap bang in a town which is on the Thames..and hotly tipped for flooding today. (we are on major flood alert) Luckily for me the area I live in is on a hill. But even up here there was flooding as the drains couldnt cope with the influx of rain.