PDA

View Full Version : Now Soda will kill you according to the docs!

SamReeves
24-07-07, 17:00
Kool Aid science continues to rear its ugly head this morning in finding something else that's bad for us. Now the great doctors want us to quit drinking soda, diet or regular! Read the story below in the San Francisco Chronicle:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/07/24/MNG0QR5P151.DTL&tsp=1

Legends
24-07-07, 17:02
I think I'll take my chances.

Little-Lara
24-07-07, 17:05
So, technically if you think about it, candy and coffee can kill you too. :confused: Or anything that's sweet, or fatty = and that's any kind of food. Maybe we should all go vegetarian then.

Reggie
24-07-07, 17:05
When all's said and done...let 'em drink fizzy stuff if it makes them happy. All this nonsense about what you are or aren't allowed to do is ridiculous. So whilst I object to the stuff personally, I wouldn't go round banging my tambourine to everyone else.

Angelus
24-07-07, 17:12
http://stylusmagazine.com/pbw/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/Kool-AidMan.jpg

OH YEEEEEEEAH!

BtoFu
24-07-07, 17:17
Irn Bru's been killing people for years. :ton:

Fish.
24-07-07, 17:18
If soda will kill me then call the funeral home cuz I ain't gonna stop! :mis:

That's so bogus though...

Legend of Lara
24-07-07, 17:19
I was drinking Sprite when I read this. :p

Mad Tony
24-07-07, 17:21
Oh, nothing is healthy these days. Soon water (the best possible thing a human being can drink) will be deemed as unhealthy.

ThomasCroft
24-07-07, 17:21
Ohhh dear, it seems I'm gonna die young.

Might as well enjoy the time I've got then, and carry on drinking soda. :)

Shark_Blade
24-07-07, 17:24
lol screw the mad doctors. I drink it occasionally, so no harm done.

SparkleCroft07
24-07-07, 17:35
If soda will kill me then call the funeral home cuz I ain't gonna stop! :mis:

That's so bogus though...

:vlol::vlol::vlol:
Me nethier! Its just a ploy to get us to stop drinking unhealthy drinks. Some of i could be partly true...

Izzie404
24-07-07, 17:42

Me too! :jmp: I got addicted to clear sodie-pops. I can't stand the freaky-colored ones like Pepsi and Coke anymore. They don't...satisfy my tastebuds anymore.. :(

They said that it leads to childhood obesity, but I'm a dedicated Sodie-pop drinker, and I'm as thin as a piece of paper.

Little-Lara
24-07-07, 17:43
Oh, nothing is healthy these days. Soon water (the best possible thing a human being can drink) will be deemed as unhealthy.

So ****ing serious. The world's been going towards all the bad directions, and since the beginning. :mad:

tomblover
24-07-07, 17:45
Soon, it'll be dangerous to live on earth itself. :rolleyes:

I'll drink my soda until I don't wanna drink it anymore, thank you very much.

ashnar
24-07-07, 17:48
That's what I keep telling everyone:vlol:. Sooner or later, we're gonna end up being told that for a 'healthy diet" we'll have to simply stop eating and drinking entirely. Ok, I'm off to get myself some soda:jmp:(of course I'm not talking here about contaminated stuff, which are indeed a threat)

Angelus
24-07-07, 17:49
Soon, it'll be dangerous to live on earth itself. :rolleyes:

I'll drink my soda until I don't wanna drink it anymore, thank you very much.

GET OFF THE EARTH! YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!

Greenkey2
24-07-07, 17:54
Let's be honest, if you were to take the advice of every single study out there you'd end up dying of starvation.

Big, obvious breach of health and safety (I'm thinking batch of contaminated chocolate bars for instance); ergo yes, you should be careful. But scares like this are just that; scares without any real ties to the real world IMO.

Angelus
24-07-07, 17:56
Let's be honest, if you were to take the advice of every single study out there you'd end up dying of starvation.

Big, obvious breach of health and safety (I'm thinking batch of contaminated chocolate bars for instance); ergo yes, you should be careful. But scares like this are just that; scares without any real ties to the real world IMO.

Well said. :tmb:

Tihocan9
24-07-07, 18:03
I recently just stopped drinking pop (soda) regualarly just because I wanted to get of the rollercoaster effects of Caffine (hyper all the time and not wanting to go to bed then crashing and having no energy the next minute) Although I doubt Soda would kill you by itself but with an unhealthy diet it could cause very bad things to happen (obviously). I only drink soda at the movies or parties but other than that I usually have water milk or juice and no I am starting to hate the taste of soda so I like the change of not drinking it (eventhough the link didnt effect me at all I sont think its saying something that is hidden and is a big find, everyone knows that soda isnt healthy and too much of it will harm you)

maximum_123
24-07-07, 18:06

I was drinking PEPSI :ton:

interstellardave
24-07-07, 18:07
I drink soda and eat unhealthy things just like you all but, let's be honest: all this junk really IS bad for you! The article doesn't lie or sensationalize (in fact my instincts have always told me that diet sodas are probably worse for you than regular). It's not really "food" in the sense that it's all unnaturally concocted in some factory somewhere! Of course things are so bad now that even "natural" foods are grown or raised in very unnatural ways too... it boggles the mind if you think about it too much.

Andariel
24-07-07, 18:09
to all the ignorant dolts: enjoy your diabetes and huge weight gain down the road. lololol

ashnar
24-07-07, 18:12
this whole thing dosen't scare me cause I rarely drink soda. And I haven't eaten anything that has been fried in oil or anything similar for 2 years.(my sister teases me with french fries lol, but I am not tempted. and I'm not fat if that's what you're wondering)my parents won't allow me to become a vegeterian until my 16th birthday.A bit off topic. Anyway, yeah, soda is bad for you, but only if you drink it excesively. Other than that, we should relax. Our system is not really that frail

maximum_123
24-07-07, 18:12
Well It's ok if you eat like ur 5 a day on the side :whi: - Don't tell anyone, i don't like eating it i just do - So in Moderation it's ok.

kewlkyle64
24-07-07, 18:21
Pfft. If we did everything scientists said to eat, then by the year 2030 we'd all sit around eating celery.

Jacob x5
24-07-07, 18:26
Think about it. If this were true, then it would have been bad for us all along, and we would have all been dying from it all the time. It doesn't instantly become deadly to drink as soon as they say so.

Andariel
24-07-07, 18:33
the refined sugar, which one can has a lot of, causes weight gain. along with decrease to insulin sensitivity and the list goes on. just because you may not be dying doesn't mean it's not causing damage.

SamReeves
24-07-07, 18:36
Somebody said something about moderation? :D

http://www.newstoob.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/big-ass-burger.jpg

Fish.
24-07-07, 18:41

Oh my God!!

I want that burger! http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/Benhead_500/drool.gif

Back on topic:

I should seriously cut back - I drink at least 2 or 3 sodas a day. I don't want to die at 13 :yik:

Tihocan9
24-07-07, 18:53

O my gosh its literally a heart attack on a bun!
I never eat burgers they are gross and now adays they are 99% grease 1% sesemie seeds:p

I have stopped eating side snacks and are now only eating 3 meals aday that its and no soda nad I have lost at least 17 pounds in the last few months.

SamReeves
24-07-07, 19:01
LOL! I usually have a 1/3 pounder every two weeks. A treat to be savored. :)

danitiwa
24-07-07, 19:19

Ditto, this is all scientific bullcrap. I am not quitting soda. Die young or not.

And I know that Diet soda has the same consecuences for blood and heart as sugar, every one knows it fools your body into thinking it's real glucose and hireing your bloodsugar. That's why I don't drink it all the time.

Quasimodo
24-07-07, 19:35
Soda is probably so popular because it's easier to crack open a can than clean out a glass, filter some nasty ole tap water, then add some ice from the freezer, etc.

If any of you are going to try quitting soda and replacing your drinks with water, I'd reccomend doing it gradually - quitting soda cold turkey gave me headaches the second day, lol! Brain: must...have...caffiene fix...will pound around skull til it gets what it wantssss...

I stopped eating crisps, fried stuff, drank more water and cooked most of my meals(controlling portion size), and dropped 10 pounds in a little over a week :eek: !

@Danitiwa- wow, I knew aspartame was satan, but it tricks your pancreas, too? *avoids diet coke box in kitchen*..

Kerrigan
24-07-07, 22:52
I have a fairly healthy diet, I'm not into fried things, fat meat, snacks and all.But I absolutely love soda.There were these times when I never drank water-only Coke or Pepsi and I've never had related health problems.Actually when I was a kid the more I was told they were unhealthy, the more I liked them.Nowadays I drink soda in moderation, though.I've never been scared of these warnings, I simply acknowledged them, and since I'm not trying the diet from "Super Size Me" I have nothing to worry about.

stationsmuggle
24-07-07, 23:02
i already stoped drinking soda many months ago so i'm cool about my health.

jackali
24-07-07, 23:15
Meh, everything'll kill you these days (in the right quantities).

viper456
24-07-07, 23:21
Its been common knowlege for years and years that soda/fizzy drinks arent good for you. Coke even rots teeth away!

jackali
24-07-07, 23:30
Coke even rots teeth away!

Actually, we tested that at school a few years back. We put a tooth in various vats, one of Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi etc. and left them in there for two weeks with no changes to the composition, both aesthetically and on a more in depth, molecular level.

ThomasCroft
24-07-07, 23:34
I'd love to see what Geck-O-Lizard has to say on the matter after seeing all the empty pepsi bottles/cans next to their computer lol! :p

viper456
24-07-07, 23:36
Actually, we tested that at school a few years back. We put a tooth in various vats, one of Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi etc. and left them in there fore two weeks with no changes to the composition, both aesthetically and on a more in depth, molecular level.

must have been cheap 19p coke then :p its still not good for you, think of all the chemicals in it. Plus they are saying it kills you now! lol

jackali
24-07-07, 23:41
must have been cheap 19p coke then :p its still not good for you, think of all the chemicals in it. Plus they are saying it kills you now! lol

It wasn't cheap coke, but its still bad for you even if it doesn't rot teeth, after all teeth are probably one of the most resiliant parts of the human body, they last a lot longer than our flesh does. That simply rots away rather quickly, unless of course you enbalm it :D.

Draco
25-07-07, 12:32
There is no cure for Life.

Drink up.

JANKERSON
25-07-07, 12:36
And these morons get paid for this crap.... that's the sad part. :rolleyes:

myrmaad
25-07-07, 13:36
Coca-Cola only contributes to tooth decay when in a human mouth because human bacteria in the mouth that live in plaque manufacture acids from the sugars in the foods we eat. So the reason people who drink a lot of sugary sodas have a lot of cavities, is because they don't brush their teeth, or they don't brush their teeth properly. Flossing helps too.

Next item on my agenda on this thread is that scientists have not said that this one study proves diet soda can kill you at all. This study merely showed a "Correlation" but not an "Dependancy", in other words these are simply two independant variables "diet soda consumption" and "onset metabolic syndrome" and there may in fact still be another independent variable that turns out to be CAUSATIVE, there was simply no evidence from this study that shows any kind of causative link between diet soft drink consumption and metabolic syndrome. Even the authors of the study agree they found no causative correlation.

Dieticians and fitness experts have always agreed on the obvious: fresh water is the best refreshment.

For a non-hyped view from inside the food industry: click here (http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/news/ng.asp?n=78427-institute-of-food-technologists-american-beverage-association-soft-drinks-metabolic-syndrome)

tombraider123
25-07-07, 13:56
Im pretty sure that fizzy drinks are not bad for you at all and they only affect your teeth. I know this will not make me stop drinking fizzy drinks, I love Coca Cola and Sprite too much, lol.

nicola1986
25-07-07, 14:42
Everything could increase your risk of getting something or other, they don't know what other things those people do that could be 'increasing their risk', it might not be the soda :rolleyes:

Mad Tony
25-07-07, 14:43
Im pretty sure that fizzy drinks are not bad for you at all and they only affect your teeth. I know this will not make me stop drinking fizzy drinks, I love Coca Cola and Sprite too much, lol.Fizzy drinks are bad for you, just not as bad as they make it out to be. And it's not just the teeth they affect, but like I said, these so called scientists are making them out to be worse than they actually are.

Sara Croft
25-07-07, 14:44
Thats a risk im willing to take tbh :p

petujaymz
25-07-07, 15:10
What a complete load of bollocks...

Eat or drink excessive quantities of literally anything and it'll be detrimental to your health.

:wve:

myrmaad
25-07-07, 15:13
What a complete load of bollocks...

Eat or drink excessive quantities of literally anything and it'll be detrimental to your health.

You obviously did not read:

"In a longitudinal study over an average of four years, 765 participants (18.7 per cent) developed MetS in the 4095 participants consuming less than one soft drink per day, compared to 474 (22.6 per cent) of the 2059 persons consuming one soft drink per day."

One soft drink per day you call "EXCESSIVE" ??

petujaymz
25-07-07, 15:20
One soft drink per day you call "EXCESSIVE" ??

For me it is.

myrmaad
25-07-07, 15:23
That's excellent!

Actually I've been drinking diet coke nearly every day since 1985. I'm very healthy, though.

Noodleboy
25-07-07, 15:24
I don't care :D I'll just keep drinking it..

Drink up me Hearties, Yoho!

thevman
25-07-07, 16:09

Someone did die from water, too much of it. Seems there was a contest and this lady drank an exorbanant amount and if you don't flush it thru it can kill you. They weren't allowed to go to the bathroom during the contest. Just proof anything in excess can kill you.

I have cut down on soda just to keep from gaining any more weight, I drink water all day at work. Just have soda at home, one or two a day instead of all day long. Seems the sugar substitutes are just as bad, the body converts them just like real sugars to fat storage on our bodies, so no one is curbing their weight by drinking diet sodas. I never trusted sugar substitutes anyways. Docs for years have been telling me too much sugar can lead to diabetes, don't know how true that is but why risk it. They've also found margirines in many cases are worse than real butter, trans fats and all that.

Noodleboy
25-07-07, 17:27
Someone did die from water, too much of it. Seems there was a contest and this lady drank an exorbanant amount and if you don't flush it thru it can kill you. They weren't allowed to go to the bathroom during the contest. Just proof anything in excess can kill you.

Yeah it was the "Win a Wii Radio contest" A woman who wanted to win it for her kids died by drinking too much. I think she had 2-3 kids

SparkleCroft07
25-07-07, 18:15
Whats next? Breathing in too much oxygen can give you heart damage? :mad:

Dakaruch
25-07-07, 18:18
i don't care... if i could i only would live of coca-cola! :D

xcrushterx
25-07-07, 18:26
Apparently soft drinks make your bones brittle :pi:

Whether it's true or not it doesn't stop me or any other person I know from drinking the stuff everyday :)

Whats next? Breathing in too much oxygen can give you heart damage?

LOL! You'll be very shocked to know that excessive oxygen is very toxic for humans.

Angel_14
25-07-07, 18:34
Well, Coke/Sprite and any drinks like that could kill you... if you drink about 2 liters every single day. I doubt that anyone drinks that much.

Doctors are exaggerating. I remember once reading an article with the "Mineral water is bad for your health" title. And I'm dead serious. :rolleyes:

tomblover
25-07-07, 18:56
Actually, the only really dangerous soda is the light soda. (The fake sugar can cause cancer from what I've heard.)

Drinking a Mountain Dew Code Red as we read this, how ironic.

AnthonyShock1515
25-07-07, 20:24
Phe!
For a few years doctors insisted that pregnant women shouldn't eat liver but pregnant women have been eating it for like centuries and made no significant differences in people's children.

*Congratulations you have a baby boy...judging by that nose you've been eating chopped liver*

Dakaruch
25-07-07, 20:29
drink about 2 liters every single day.

don't say that... a friend of mine drinks MORE thatn 2 litres of coca-cola... EVERY SINGLE DAY :ton:

Angel_14
25-07-07, 21:07
don't say that... a friend of mine drinks MORE thatn 2 litres of coca-cola... EVERY SINGLE DAY :ton:

How old is he/she? It's a miracle that he's/she's alive :p This sounds harsh, but that's the truth...

Paperdoll
25-07-07, 21:07

That just gave me a stomach ulcer X_X ewww

tomblover
25-07-07, 21:10
That just gave me a stomach ulcer X_X ewww Cola is fine sometimes, but I agree with Paperdoll.

ThomasCroft
25-07-07, 21:36
Although the above may sound disgusting, such habits can quite easily fall into our daily routines once we are addicted. This is why we must carefully moderate and control our diets.

I don't do it myself, though.

rewak
25-07-07, 22:01
According to doctors we'll die no matter what we eat/drink. Really? No s**t Sherlock, that was well worth the funding to find out :rolleyes:

SparkleCroft07
25-07-07, 22:04
LOL! You'll be very shocked to know that excessive oxygen is very toxic for humans.

:yik:OMG! lol guess I should be careful what I say! :vlol:

Legend of Lara
26-07-07, 00:36
New study shows that drinking water exposes the skin to the fooglies of alzabloth and should be stopped immediately!!!

Lara's Fan
26-07-07, 03:31
Gotta die from something, so i say rock with drinking soda.:D

Indiana Croft
26-07-07, 03:36
As stewie griffin said:

"I hear Starlight gives you cancer. But, hey, what doesn't these day, eh?"
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Stewie-standup-01.jpg

Larangelina
26-07-07, 05:19
Well anything that gets over limit becomes dangerous..

even fruits...

one has to be moderate when eating, drinking... whatever...

Jack Croft
26-07-07, 10:54
I think I'll take my chances.

:vlol:

Same! :tmb: