PDA

View Full Version : Is a Macbook worth the dosh?

AnthonyShock1515
26-07-07, 15:30
Hello peeps, I'm really interested in an apple laptop. I'll be using it for school work, MSN, using photoshop, web surfing and stuff like that. Is a macbook worth the price coz I've did a bit or research on the web and people say that the batteries often bulge and it can lead to a whole mess of troubles.
The 2 biggest things I like about the macbook are the size and best of all their stylish look. Any reccomendations?

Dakaruch
26-07-07, 15:35
macs pc's are good imo... the operative system is one of most flawless... few virus, great protection and easy to use... i say buy it! :tmb:

i don't get one for me because in here the most used pc's are the ones with windows and no one knows how to fix it here, or operate with them :(

Bonez
26-07-07, 15:40
I'm hoping to save up for a macbook when I get my job. :)

I've been looking around though, and they generally seem to have really good reviews. My dad uses Mac computers at work and he says they are absolutly fantastic, and he recommended their laptops to me. :)

AnthonyShock1515
26-07-07, 15:51
I'm hoping to save up for a macbook when I get my job. :)

I've been looking around though, and they generally seem to have really good reviews. My dad uses Mac computers at work and he says they are absolutly fantastic, and he recommended their laptops to me. :)

fab!
I'm concerned with these 'flaws'. But anyways, what about viruses. Can Apple computers not recieve viruses?

Dakaruch
26-07-07, 15:55
fab!
I'm concerned with these 'flaws'. But anyways, what about viruses. Can Apple computers not recieve viruses?

they receive, but not many... there are very few virus for mac! and the mac os has few flaws, it's almost perfect!

Bonez
26-07-07, 16:18
they receive, but not many... there are very few virus for mac! and the mac os has few flaws, it's almost perfect!

Yeah. There are some viruses, but much fewer with macs.

jamieoliver22
26-07-07, 19:18
Yeah. There are some viruses, but much fewer with macs.

That is because Mac's are a very small number in the market compared to Windows based machines, so people don't really care about making any viruses for such a small number. To be honest, if you are careful anyway and use the correct protection then a Windows based computer will never get any anyway.

And it all depends what you want to do really.. If you don't care about gaming or whatever, Mac's are ok.. But I have always found that normal computers can do everything a Mac can. The only extras are the extra tools built into the OS.

And before you say it, I aren't a Windows fan, just a user.

Olvidarse
26-07-07, 19:22
I have one and I think it's certainly a better change from regular PC laptops. You'll be able to play some games (like Halo on medium settings and possibly the Sims 2), but you probably want to steer away from it if you wish to play graphics-intensive games. It's great if you only use a few programs - like chatting, internet, music, movies, and some image manipulation (I'm not sure how Photoshop works, but probably faster than I'm thinking, since they've updated the Macbooks, and I bought mine when they first came out).

You'll probably have to use Microsoft Word for school work, and that program is as slow as molasses on my Mac.

The last time they updated the Macbook hardware was not so long ago - in the middle of May - but I'd wait until they update the Mac OS software to the new Leopard in October if getting a laptop isn't a necessary priority.

I'd say for the price... you're not getting the "horsepower" you're paying for, but you're getting the whole Apple ecosystem. To me that's worth the price.

I've never heard of any bulging batteries, but you should consider the Apple Care protection program as something necessary (and that's an added $200-$250 depending where you buy it). It extends the one year of support to three. I've had to send my Macbook in for major repairs five-six times (the last one I had to replace the screen, which would've cost $600 if I didn't extend my warranty). But, that could be due to the fact that I bought it when they were first released, hence buggy. These repairs were all under a little over one year. The next time I send it in for another repair (if I need to), they promise me a new Macbook.

Izzie404
26-07-07, 21:08
I'm thinking of getting myself a MacBook Pro, because I am just fed up with Window-based computers. One big reason that I like Macs are because of their screen brilliance. The display is so much livelier in Macs than Windows, from what I've seen, so I am planning to get it as soon as I can.

Dixie
26-07-07, 21:26
There are no REAL viruses for Macs. Only theoretical viruses.

I love mine though. MUCH, MUCH faster than a windows PC. And you can still get Microsoft Office for schoolwork. It's well worth the price. It'll probably be the last PC you'll ever need to buy!