PDA

View Full Version : cat 'predicts patient deaths'

Henhead
26-07-07, 18:32
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Henhead/0c3c3544.jpg

A US cat that is reportedly able to sense when a nursing home's residents are about to die is baffling doctors.

Oscar has a habit of curling up next to patients at the home in Providence, Rhode Island, in their final hours.

According to the author of a study in the New England Journal of Medicine, the two-year-old cat has been observed to be correct in 25 cases so far.

Staff now alert the families of residents when he sits down next to their ailing loved one.

"He doesn't make many mistakes. He seems to understand when patients are about to die," David Dosa, a professor at Brown University who carried out the research, told the Associated Press news agency.

'Premonitions'

Oscar was adopted as a kitten at Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation
Centre.

The cat is said to do his own rounds, just like the doctors and nurses at the home, but is not generally friendly to patients.

Although most families are grateful for the warning Oscar seems to provide, some relatives ask that the pet be taken away while they say their last goodbyes to their loved ones.

When put outside the room, Oscar is said to pace up and down meowing in protest.

Thomas Graves, a feline expert from the University of Illinois, told the BBC: "Cats often can sense when their owners are sick or when another animal is sick.

"They can sense when the weather will change, they're famous for being sensitive to premonitions of earthquakes."

A doctor who treats patients at the home said she believed there was probably a biochemical explanation, rather than the cat being psychic.

Source : BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6917113.stm)

tomblover
26-07-07, 18:35
I heard of this earlier today. Freaky, really. :cln:

interstellardave
26-07-07, 18:36
I love cats! Is there anything about them that isn't totally awesome?!

Just as an aside: LOL... people are always afraid of the word "psychic", as if that's more strange than a "biochemical" explanation! We just have less understanding of such processes, currently, that's all.

Greenkey2
26-07-07, 18:38
Doesn't suprise me. Cats are a lot smarter than many people would like to believe.

Dote
26-07-07, 18:39
I've read about it too today in a swedish newspaper.
wonder if my neighbours cat got this too..better not cuddle with it;)

Headlines tomorrow: Cats KILL people in their beds

jackles
26-07-07, 18:42
I wouldnt be very happy if that particular cat wanted to give me its attention!

thevman
26-07-07, 18:48
As they said in the local news about that cat, I'd kill it before it wants to hang around me... :whi:

MeowMix07
26-07-07, 18:54
Aww I think it's cute :p

...Even though its a little fluffy Grim Reaper...

clairelovestlc
26-07-07, 18:54
Maybe its the cat thats killing the people? ;)

interstellardave
26-07-07, 18:56
As they said in the local news about that cat, I'd kill it before it wants to hang around me... :whi:

Yeah... that would stop your imminent death from happening! And what a final act to be proud of! :rolleyes: :ohn:

pEhouse
26-07-07, 19:32
Well I heard before about dogs smelling cancer so.. why not? lol

8accent8
26-07-07, 20:38
yea saw it on yahoo. look in its eyes....it does look lik the grim reaper, dun dun dun!!

well, at least they get a warning to say their final words. funny how the cat jus does it automatically.

Kamrusepas
26-07-07, 20:40
Well cats have always been thought of as the guardians of the underworld, so this shouldn't be surprising :D

Indiana Croft
26-07-07, 20:54
I love cats. I think they do things that we're not really aware of in a scientific sense. If they can predict death, more power to them.

Lenochka
26-07-07, 21:16
That is amazing, Caaaat power :3

Rivendell
26-07-07, 21:18
Can't imagine anyone wanting to cuddle up to that moggy :(

*Imagines the looks of fear the old folk give this cat as it strolls amongst them, praying it doesn't stop and meow mournfully at them..*

Fish.
26-07-07, 21:55
My mom told me about this in the car this morning... it's just cool! :cln:

I knew cats could tell when their owners were ill, but predicting death? That's just plain kooky.

jackles
26-07-07, 21:58
Can't imagine anyone wanting to cuddle up to that moggy :(

*Imagines the looks of fear the old folk give this cat as it strolls amongst them, praying it doesn't stop and meow mournfully at them..*

Lmao!!

Just what I thought!

the mind games that the nurses could play too...

OOh look Mr Bloggs..here comes the pussy cat...he likes you...oh dear...whats the matter Mr Bloggs?? Why are you screaming like that?? muahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahhahaha

star girl
27-07-07, 01:38
Before my friend's mother died (back in uhh... grade six, I think) her cats became really restless - around two days before the lady died. They'd meow, not eat, run around like mad before that...

It's a wonderful thing though :)

Tomb-Raider
27-07-07, 01:47
You can see it in the cats eyes. >.>

kooky
27-07-07, 08:18
Wow, that is amazing, I heard that from my mom to, I don't own a cat anymore, my cat's name was Felix, we sent him to the vet becease he was infected with parasites, & my older brother's girlfriend, toke him to her home, he's doing ok now, I don't really want a cat anymore. :(

Ada the Mental
27-07-07, 12:37
Creepy, but I'm not particularly surprised, I've heard plenty of stories like that.

Or about dogs howling when their owners are dying even if they're miles away from them.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be very fond of that cat, no matter how I generally love them.:p

Zep Girl
27-07-07, 14:24
At least they can give plenty of warning to the funeral guys, very handy.

kryptonite23
27-07-07, 16:16
Doesn't suprise me. Cats are a lot smarter than many people would like to believe.

I agree,I think even the dogs.:)

thevman
27-07-07, 16:19
Yeah... that would stop your imminent death from happening! And what a final act to be proud of! :rolleyes: :ohn:

Better the cat than me! :ton:

Creepy, but I'm not particularly surprised, I've heard plenty of stories like that.

Or about dogs howling when their owners are dying even if they're miles away from them.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be very fond of that cat, no matter how I generally love them.:p

My parents dog was very sad for a few weeks after my dad died. I think it knew what happened, my dad died at home.