PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Paralysis - is this normal?

Tomb-Raider
27-07-07, 01:43
I seem to have a problem with Sleep paralysis. I done some research and I found out that an average person goes through this 1-3 times in his or her life. I seem to have it 1-3 a month.

Most of you know about how I was floating away from my body, and was seeing black, ghostly images, scared the hell out of me. Ever since, I tried to fight the paralysis. Everytime I feel my body starting to get numb, I know right away whats happen. I try to move around so I wouldnt get paralized, sometimes I succeed and sometimes im to late.

Whats wrong with me? How do I stop the paralysis? :(

DREWY
27-07-07, 01:49
I think it's just your brain waking up before the body. There are drugs, if you want to go down that path. How long does it last for in your case?

Mr.Burns
27-07-07, 01:52
It's funny as I was just watching a program on this earlier today. In it they mentioned that when the mind goes into REM sleep, the brain stem releases chemicals meant to prevent the body from physically acting out what you dream. If you wake up too suddenly and the chemical is still present, you'll think you're paralyzed.

Tomb-Raider
27-07-07, 01:55
I think it's just your brain waking up before the body. There are drugs, if you want to go down that path. How long does it last for in your case?

Well 10-20 seconds.

If you experienced this your would realize how terrifying it is. As I said before, once I saw a ghostly Image.

Angel666
27-07-07, 01:58
My dad used to have this. He hasn't had it recently as far as I know though.

SpongeBob Lover
27-07-07, 07:01
It's funny as I was just watching a program on this earlier today. In it they mentioned that when the mind goes into REM sleep, the brain stem releases chemicals meant to prevent the body from physically acting out what you dream. If you wake up too suddenly and the chemical is still present, you'll think you're paralyzed.

i was watching that too, very interesting :) well if it continues you can take the medicine drewy was talking abotu

Andromeda66
27-07-07, 07:07
I think I've had it once. Though no ghostly images came to mind(or eye). I got up but fell out because I dodnt realise my lower body was paralyzed. Lasted a few seconds but it was not terrifying. I got up rather abruptly (Man I hate alarm clocks).

If you think getting up too abruptly is the problem, then try lying in bed for a little while before trying to get up or out of bed.

I strongly recommend prefessional advice though. :wve:

Lenochka
27-07-07, 07:36
Never happend to me... but it sure sounds creepy :S

EscondeR
27-07-07, 07:47
Well 10-20 seconds.

If you experienced this your would realize how terrifying it is. As I said before, once I saw a ghostly Image.

Then really nothing to orry about. It happens sometimes when you wake during the "active phase" of your sleep.

tomblover
27-07-07, 08:22
Lenochka, it is creepy. Imagine not being able to move, and still be "fully" awake.

Had it a few times. Just layed there and worried myself for a minute or two, then fell asleep again.

Tomb-Raider
27-07-07, 12:03
Sleep Parlized 2 nights in a row?

I say this happends to me at least 10 times already. you learn to get used to it. Last night i couldnt sleep because I was being paralized so much! :(

Ada the Mental
27-07-07, 12:32
I think it has happened plenty of times to me.
Sometimes I wake up very suddenly in the middle of the night and I have this weird feeling that I'm falling through the bed or that I'm floating and falling back into my body.
But I've never experienced full sleeping paralysis.

Dakaruch
27-07-07, 12:45
I think it has happened plenty of times to me.
Sometimes I wake up very suddenly in the middle of the night and I have this weird feeling that I'm falling through the bed or that I'm floating and falling back into my body.
But I've never experienced full sleeping paralysis.

already felt those things you're talking about, but never full paralise

Zep Girl
27-07-07, 12:59
I had this happen to me once when I was at school. I was getting bullied so I imagine the stress made that happen to me, I just went back to sleep again then I was fine, but it it scary.

Alex Fly
27-07-07, 13:01
That's weird but I see what you mean. Something similar was happened to me one night.

Chug a Bug
27-07-07, 16:43
Normally when you fall sleep your muscles become paralysed so we don't move much, it stopped our ancestors from falling out of the trees when asleep.

With most people it stops when you wake but for some it doesn't for some reason and can be pretty frightening I imagine. In the past people used to imagine demons were sitting on them, incubuses and succubuses.