PDA

View Full Version : How do you perceive time?

Bowie
27-07-07, 15:25
So far, I am the only person who seems to have a mental timeline that runs from right to left. :tea:

FUTURE <<<<<<<< PRESENT <<<<<<<<< PAST.

In my mind, when picturing tomorrow, it will be towards the left. Everyone else I've asked has a rightward arrow of time.

Do you even picture time at all in your mind? Is it a timeline shape? Or is it something weirder like an elevator going down or something?? :p

jamieoliver22
27-07-07, 15:35
I picture it in my mind as a time line type thing, and it always progresses rightward.

Cookie_Raider
27-07-07, 15:36
I think its flows right... like writing and clocks initally go right... clockwise... haha yes I'm a nutty one :p:D

Tomb Raider Master
27-07-07, 16:43
It's always been towards right for me.

Bonez
27-07-07, 16:46
Always been to the right for me aswell.

RAID
27-07-07, 16:49
Weird. I never paid any attention to that. But now that you mention it...mine flows to the right.

VonCroy360
27-07-07, 17:14
To right, but I always pictured it more like going forwards (future) or backwards (past). :)

Jacob x5
27-07-07, 17:30
People tend to think of time as a straight line sequence of events, but it's actually more like a big ball of wishy woshy, timey wimey... stuff.

:D

In answer to your question, I think of the future as in front of me, and the past as behind me, and I'm standing on 'today'. But it's the timeline that moves backwards, not me moving forwards.

Reggie
27-07-07, 17:41
Strange but interesting question...but in answer to it I always picture past, present and future like so:

Future
^
^
^
^
<<<<Present>>>>
v
v
v
v
Past

So yeah, mine would be the elevator thing you mentioned, I suppose. With the present being the ground floor, the past being the basements and the future being the floors above...to put it in a visual perspective.

Sedge
27-07-07, 17:59
Ah, I love these kinds of things! I have many things I imagine in lines and circles etc. diagrams/schemes in my mind, like numbers etc.. My past-present-future -timeline would be L the wrong way, like _| . The _ part is the past, and from the day I was born it's |. Actually the | is a more curved line, a bit bented like the lower part of ). So the future goes up, up up up and I'm in the middle, moving as I age. So it's more like an ageline, and the years 1932 and 2057 and every else conform that line.. My numbers from 0 to -> follow the same curve, but it has some sharper angles.. Gah, but that's too hard to explain and I'm too lazy to draw anything. :p The point was, however, that I have many things like this in my mind when I think of time or just anything. Even letters have their own colours(like A, it's clearly red) and systematic orders and so.. Heehee, goes a bit off-topic, but I've noticed how people differ when asked these things. Some have never even thought of, some have very complicated ideas and visual systems about different things. I, myself, have always found those people to be more creative, sensitive, idealistic.. and interesting. :D

Whee.

Greenkey2
27-07-07, 18:25
What you're describing is a form of synesthesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia); a reasonably common trait where people associate certain letters, numbers etc, with other senses such as taste, smell, touch or colours and particular patterns.

Time for me always runs left to right; the days of the week do also. However, I think of the months as arrayed:

January February March
April May June July August September
October November December

As they were on a primary school display board when I was about six :p I also think of numbers as the following: 1 to 12 are arrayed as they are on a clock face, and then the others sort of follow in a wriggling line until about 25, at which point they become a set of rows down to a hundred. Again, I thnk this is because we had a display at school of numbers 1 to 100 which the teacher would use to teach us to count.

Amazing how some thing stick with you.

Polak
27-07-07, 18:31
I perceive it as if driving on a motorway, the past is behind and future is in front. No timeline for me.

Jacob x5
27-07-07, 18:34
I perceive it as if driving on a motorway, the past is behind and future is in front. No timeline for me.

And the roadsigns are the events of your life. :D And each year is marked with signs which are whatever distance apart. :ton:

Greenkey2
27-07-07, 18:48
And the roadsigns are the events of your life. :D And each year is marked with signs which are whatever distance apart. :ton:

Makes you wonder what the occasional lost herd of cows, white van man or faulty SAT-NAV represent... :pi:

ace_85
27-07-07, 18:59
The only way I percieve time is that when I'm at work, it goes at snail's pace, and when it's my own time it's gone in a flash *sigh*

Geck-o-Lizard
27-07-07, 19:21
I can't imagine time having a direction. I dunno why, but it feels illogical to feel like it's progressing rightwards, or up, or diagonally left, or whatever. It just... progresses. It moves with me. When I think of "tomorrow" or "next year" I don't think of a direction. It's just too boundless and extra-dimensional to let me visualise which way it's heading.

As for speed of time... I find it curious. If I'm sitting in the bath listening to the leaky tap dripping, I'll notice the drops speed up or slow down... Same thing when I'm staring at a clock, or watching an animated .gif, etc. If I'm just sitting there doing nothing, I can play around and make it speed up, slow down, speed up again. :D

Another wierd thing is that the moment when I look at a clock, the seconds hand seems stuck for far longer than normal, as if the world's got a slow reaction speed to me looking around. The hand stays there unmoving, then eventually starts ticking again at normal speed.

Dakaruch
27-07-07, 19:24
So far, I am the only person who seems to have a mental timeline that runs from right to left. :tea:

FUTURE <<<<<<<< PRESENT <<<<<<<<< PAST.

In my mind, when picturing tomorrow, it will be towards the left. Everyone else I've asked has a rightward arrow of time.

Do you even picture time at all in your mind? Is it a timeline shape? Or is it something weirder like an elevator going down or something?? :p

never saw it that way... i have a question! are you left handed?

for me the time just appear as images, coming back and forth from past to present... never used to think in time lines or other thing

Fish.
27-07-07, 20:33
Like most everynoe else, my timeline goes like this:

PAST>>>>>>PRESENT>>>>>>FUTURE

Not sure why. :p

Lavinder
27-07-07, 20:44
I don't really have a time line, it's more like a big ball of events shown as square snapshots :confused: :p

jackali
27-07-07, 22:17
I think a quote from The Doctor is appropriate here:
"a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff"

Therefore:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/jackali/SquigglyWiggly.jpg

One of them.

But I still do my timelines left to right, left being the past, right being the future.
Although, being left-handed that seems rather controversial. After all, for me left is hardly over, and right certainly is not the way forwards!

ThomasCroft
27-07-07, 23:02
Flows towards the right.

My vision of time is exactly like a timeline.

Boring, I know, but there we are. :p

EDIT: However, I do experience a form of synesthesia when I think about numbers. I visualise "1" as just number 1, no attachments, "2" as blue, "3" as orange, "4" as yellow, "5" as red, "7" as a darker orange :confused:, "8" as black, "9" as darker yellow or greeny yellow and "10" has no attachments. Strange. (No wonder I always get 7 and 3 confused.)

Zep Girl
27-07-07, 23:04
Yeah Im a righty too, so weird going to the left, just tried it, and it makes me all ticcy ( I have Tourettes) so yeah thanks for that :cln:

I was actualy reading about this the other day so this is nice and weird for me haha

Angel666
28-07-07, 00:05
Left to right for me. :)

Admles
28-07-07, 01:10
I've always believed time was a concept made by man, not an actual thing. To me its always one piece, the past is with us always, and the future is not because its yet to happen.

Little-Lara
28-07-07, 05:13
Never stopping. I've been thinking about doing an art about time for a while now, I just don't have the time to do it. (Ironic) with work and everything else. I want to use oil-paint as the medium.