PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Support (or lack thereof) and the problems it caused

buckmana
02-08-07, 05:33
I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss (or rant about) this, but the MAJOR problem attacked the Level Editor.

Sometime back, I upgraded my computer to cope with the demands of video editing. The two major points of this upgrade was a memory upgrade and the installation of Windows XP.

When I moved, I had to migrate all my Level Editor files to this computer (previously, I was using a computer that ran lower memory and Windows 98SE).

Several months ago, I had a problem that forced me to stop level editing.

I was redesigning several WADs with new Lara outfits (I was attempting to design an outfit for every conceivable environment, as well as make some of the older ones from TR-TRIII and TRV TRIV compliant). This was so I wouldn't have to make them in the middle of designing a level, I could just pick a wad and say, this outfit's best for this level, I'll use it.

After this, I then designed the same outfits for Lara-optional replacement (Sally, see my pic at left).

Just to give you the level of work I had done, each character had around thirty seperate wads in total, even though sometimes each outfit had five or so variations for different types. For example, Lara and Sally had a semi-formal casual outfit which had these variations:
T-shirt, no backpack.
Jacket and backpack.
Jacket, backpack and gloves.

And so on.

When I got through all this work, I was working through the process of deleting excess textures (the ones that aren't attached to anything) to decrease the wad size.

I finished this process and then moved the texture modified wads to the target levels.

Then I found out something had irretrievably corrupted the wads. I even went back to backup files and they didn't work either!!!! :hea::mad::confused: :( :cen: :yik: :eek:

Even all the tricks I had up my sleeve for restoring corrupted wads (usually, you replace the default sprites and Lara with the ones from a functional wad) didn't work.

Around this time, I noticed that the Level Editor wasn't functioning properly under Windows XP. The levels took forever to load (on my old memory challenged computers, they loaded rapidly).

And, for some reason, the memory overload caused the Level Editor to become too hyperefficient. Whenever I tried to turn a room slightly to edit one texture on a face I couldn't see, the room started spinning like a top and wouldn't stop until I pressed the arrow key for the opposite direction, which put me back exactly where I was, unable to see the texture I needed to edit!

For these reasons, I was forced (kicking and screaming all the way) to give up my much loved hobby of Level Editing. Which is a pity, because I have a great Lara's Home I really really really really wanted to share with everyone.

Does legacy support on Windows XP just :cen: ?

I have a game which is a contempory of the first Tomb Raiders called Drakken: Order Of The Flame.

It also has legacy issues. The first problem is that the intro movie for the start of the game crashes it (I have no idea what happened in that movie) and you have to use a savegame after this point to start the game. The second problem is (in certain levels), you can return to the previous levels. At the end of one level, this return is critical because you use the previous level to travel to the entrance of the next level. But everytime you load a previous level, you can't move very far without crashing the game.

The third bug is minor, because I learned to avoid doing it. But, if Arokh (the dragon) lays down a wall of fire to stop his enemies (he does this by rapidly swinging from side to side), the game also crashes. But, in some cases, I needed to do this to dispatch enemies that hid from direct attack.

Titak
02-08-07, 07:14
Whenever I tried to turn a room slightly to edit one texture on a face I couldn't see, the room started spinning like a top and wouldn't stop until I pressed the arrow key for the opposite direction, which put me back exactly where I was, unable to see the texture I needed to edit!
This is a common problem with Windows XP and can be fixed.
Check THIS POST (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=33759&page=3#22). ;)

scoopy_loopy
02-08-07, 07:31
Sorry to see another Aussie go, there are hardly enough of us into level editing.

buckmana
04-08-07, 07:39
I want to start doing it again, but I need to fix my wads.

That is I need to fix them without making them completely from scratch again.

Basically (although this is minimizing the amount of work I did), I made several custom objects (new binoculars, for example, although I also worked on weapons, a functional car and Landrover (I'll have to check what I did, but I think I even managed to get the doors to open!)), lots of new textures and retexturing the wads (deleting worthless textures for file compression).

If anyone can come up with a way to restore my damaged wads, I would be very grateful and happy!!!!!

stranger1992
05-08-07, 04:03
urrmmmm if you have an date files u used u converted to (tom2pc); then u can use wadmerger to get all the objects back. Thats the bery last hope i'm afraid for corrupted WADS :)