PDA

View Full Version : Alien Quadrilogy

TombRaiderLover
14-08-07, 21:46
Discuss the brilliant series of films about Ripley and her battle against the xenomorph. :D

I'm planning on getting the 9-disc Quadrilogy collection for Christmas. I re-watched the four films this week. (the first on 2-disc DVD, the others on video :()

Alien - The best in the series. It builds up tension wonderfully. The scenes leading up to the crew members' deaths are brilliant. Because little is seen, particularly the alien itself, it leaves much to the mind.

Aliens - A very different approach. Scott directed a tense, deliberately slow thriller. Cameron has introduced a fast-paced action film, which though it fails to reach the height of the original, is engaging entertainment.

Alien 3 - Arguably underrated. Closer in style to the original film, and grim and dark in tone. What's unfortunate is that Newt and Hicks were killed off, but of course with them the film would be very different, and it's fine the way it is.

Alien Resurrection - The weakest in the series, with corny moments and a dull, bizarre, emotionless Ripley. Still, it provides great entertainment.

;)

Lavinder
14-08-07, 21:49
I have the 9-disc Quadrilogy :D Actually watched the first Alien again with Jamie the other day, it's strange how you bring this up now :pi: Coincidence.

jamieoliver22
14-08-07, 21:50
I have the 9-disc Quadrilogy :D Actually watched the first Alien again with Jamie the other day, it's strange how you bring this up now :pi: Coincidence.

I couldn't concentrate all too well on it either, with you constantly fidgeting on me :p

But yeah, it was actually quite a good film :D

TombRaiderLover
14-08-07, 21:52
BOO!

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/3/3c/A_Xenomorph.jpg

:p

BtoFu
14-08-07, 21:56
I bought LE Xenomorph head disc holder set cheap last year.

Aliens is tops...Pulse Rifles > The Nostromoooo. The Fincher re-edit of Alien 3 in the quad is a vast improvement as well - original blows hardway. Resurrection I just don't care about in the slightest. It's a very nice set

Paperdoll
14-08-07, 21:58
Never managed to watch them from start to finish, only Ressurection X_X but one thing I always wanted ever since I was a kid, is an action figure of Alien :D it's so purty... *pets*

Rivendell
14-08-07, 22:12
Saw bits of the films when I was little, and it scared the hell out of me. I must have had more Alien nightmares than any other type! Always the same.. Me with a radar, and that blip getting closer and closer, then me trying to run away from one of them as it speedily snakes towards me... Agghh.. :(

Yeah anyway. Ahem, having watched them since then, great films! :D

ace_85
14-08-07, 22:14
Alien and Aliens are quality, the other two I care slightly less for - but even a 'bad' Alien film is still a lot better than many other movies

Reggie
14-08-07, 22:21
Alien and Aliens were awesome and remain among the best films I've ever watched.

And then came Alien 3...
Whatever possible redemption there may have been for the future beyond Alien 3 was thwarted by Ripley's possible love interest and Newt being killed off before the Credits had even finished rolling.
And then Ripley kills herself!

Where can the series possibly go from there? Alien Resurrection is your answer. The faults of Resurrection are based on Alien 3 IMO.

A few years after alien 4 was released, James Cameron announced Alien 5 and said that it would disregard Alien 3 and 4 and continue the series "how it was meant to be continued".

This joy was killed off by Cameron dropping the project due to him being put off by Alien vs. Predator.

Anyway, loved the first two films - the other 2 are acceptable but Alien vs. Predator isn't worth my time.

Dakaruch
14-08-07, 22:26
great movies... but ressurrection :mad: crapy
then alien vs predator i was like"this might be the one" CRAPY ****
the first three was amazing! i really want to see those again!

2kool4u
14-08-07, 22:33
Saw bits of the films when I was little, and it scared the hell out of me. I must have had more Alien nightmares than any other type! Always the same.. Me with a radar, and that blip getting closer and closer, then me trying to run away from one of them as it speedily snakes towards me... Agghh.. :(

Yeah anyway. Ahem, having watched them since then, great films! :D

lol for a secound there i thought you didnt watch them. Alien is a great movie alltogether i cant wait for a sequel to be announced.

L.C
14-08-07, 23:01
I bought LE Xenomorph head disc holder setI've got that set too. Looks amazing :cln:

My favourite is definitely Aliens. Vasquez Rocks!!! :tmb:

'Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?'

'No, have you?'

:D

Me with a radar, and that blip getting closer and closer, then me trying to run away from one of them as it speedily snakes towards me... Agghh.. :( Have you played Alien Trilogy on PS1? That blip never seems to go away, even after you've stopped playing :eek:

Ward Dragon
14-08-07, 23:04
Aliens is my favorite of the series :D I like Alien and Resurrection, but I hate Alien3. I hadn't heard about this Alien5, but now I'm disappointed that it was cancelled because I would have loved a movie that picked up right after Aliens but didn't kill off Ripley's friends (at the very least, didn't start off with them dead in such a pointless way). I like AVP as well, but I didn't expect much from it because of all the bad reviews so I was able to enjoy it as it was.

The_Terminator
14-08-07, 23:36
I am a huge Alien fan and have watched the films many times. I have spent lots of time drawing pictures of the Aliens and collecting alien images and stuff. Here is my take on them:

Alien: a great film from a former era. The slow pace of it may not appeal to todays attention defecit generation that needs a scene change every 40 seconds, but a very fantastic movie!

Aliens: The best of the series to me. Once the action got started, it didn't let up! There is much to analyze about this movie, but the emotions portrayed by the "tough" marines is astounding! The grittiness, the beads of sweat, the fear, etc. is just marvelous! it sucks you right in.
Contrast that to Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft who never sweats a bead and has perfect makeup, and you'll see why one movie smacks you in the face while the other is a cheesy popcorn flick.

Alien3: Was a horrible movie till the "assembly cut" edition was released. The revamped edition totally changed the movie and it actually became a good movie. Slightly different than the others, but good. Killing off Newt and Hicks was a letdown though.

Alien Resurrection: Entertaining, but kinda stupid. It introduced nothing new to the series, as in: Humans want to experiment with the aliens for profit, but the aliens escape, and kill all humans besides the few survivors at the end. Oh, and just to do something new, we'll put in a person that turns out to be an android. :rolleyes:

Alien Vs. Predator: I had high hopes for this movie, but it turned out to be an intensely stupid movie, which may have buried both franchises.
There is talks about a sequel called Aliens vs. Predator (note the 's' at the end of Aliens) which will be rated R to allow for a more adult appealing movie.
Sounds interesting.

All in all, I'm a huge alien fan!

MrBear
14-08-07, 23:42
Alien and Aliens were awesome and remain among the best films I've ever watched.

That's how I feel as well ;) I love the first two movies but I didn't like the two latest.. the third movie had the intriguing 'conspiracy' angle to it in the end but it was too vague to make the movie equally good... and the fourth was just any other sequel :)

Ward Dragon
14-08-07, 23:46
Alien3: Was a horrible movie till the "assembly cut" edition was released. The revamped edition totally changed the movie and it actually became a good movie. Slightly different than the others, but good. Killing off Newt and Hicks was a letdown though.

Interesting. I didn't know about this "assembly cut" edition of Alien3. I'll have to look into it :)

It's been awhile since I saw Resurrection. I remember the Aliens being particularly cool and intelligent, which is why I liked it (I'm thinking of where the Aliens in the cage outsmart their human captors, and where the Aliens are swimming).

The_Terminator
14-08-07, 23:54
Interesting. I didn't know about this "assembly cut" edition of Alien3. I'll have to look into itIt totally changes the movie. I mean they really altered the whole thing, not like just throwing in a deleted scene and calling it a "special edition".

I think they added 37 minutes of story altering footage. I was going to watch it, but I'm glad I did, b/c it really became a good movie.

FYI to all of the Alien fans out there:
The wikipedia articles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film_series%29) on the series and on the individual movies are VERY good and informative.
They make for some really good reading!

Admles
15-08-07, 00:40
I have the first Quadrilogy that was brought out, and I love the series, although Resurrection was a bit weak; Joss Whedon even says he hated the finished product.

I also LOVE the novels set in the Alien universe, after the movies. Some really scary stuff!

peffect
15-08-07, 01:10

Ditto!

I heard there will B a fifth Aliens Movie. How far is that true?
I personally think it's possible to make a sequal and that would be great; Aliens on earth! :cln:

... Unlike Alien vs Predator that was (other than those 5minutes Aliens fights with Predators) a DISAPPOINTMENT. But this one has a sequal though...

Admles
15-08-07, 02:29
Yes I'd love a 5th Aliens movie, and aliens on earth would be great. One of the novels has that happening and it was awesome.

DREWY
15-08-07, 02:45
Alien and Aliens are quality, the other two I care slightly less for - but even a 'bad' Alien film is still a lot better than many other movies

Very true. :tmb:
Have the 9 disc set myself - excellent. Have my doubts about Alien 5

Terminator

Aliens: The best of the series to me. Once the action got started, it didn't let up! There is much to analyze about this movie, but the emotions portrayed by the "tough" marines is astounding! The grittiness, the beads of sweat, the fear, etc. is just marvelous! it sucks you right in.

:tmb:

Alein Vs Predator? Absolute rubbish

Sweet&SourLara
15-08-07, 02:50
Another ailen moive Alein 3000 has boobies showing in one part so but other than that good movie http://www.horrormovies.com/images/Alien3000.jpg

Greenkey2
15-08-07, 09:22
The second one is my favourite :D You just can't beat having a thriller that finishes with the heroine beating the **** out of the biggest and ugliest alien :tmb:

EscondeR
15-08-07, 10:29
My favourite series :tmb:
I won't mind the continuation with Sigourney Weaver :D *drools*

BtoFu
15-08-07, 11:35
Another ailen moive Alein 3000 has boobies showing in one part so but other than that good movie http://www.horrormovies.com/images/Alien3000.jpg

I used to go to my local video store and catch some lolz at all these cheapo rip off flicks..

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41016DPEEPL._SS500_.jpg

omgz itz trevuuur!!! :D

Sadly they went out of business. :( For obvious reasons. :D

SoulReaver74
15-08-07, 11:40
I've always been a huge fan of the series, and in my younger day's, Aliens was the one that we all talked about at school, but over the years i've developed a great fondness for the first movie "Alien", and for it's time, still holds it's own amongst most modern Sci-fi Horror movies, with it's great tension building, breathtaking score and set piece masterclass, for example the classic chest burster scene will stay with me forever, they don't make em like this anymore.

P.S i love that ginger feline ripley has with her, Jonesey i think his name was, a star in his own Wright. :D

Autolycus
15-08-07, 11:47
I've seen all the films and imo the first film is very good as it is very tense throughout. But without a shadow of doubt the 2nd film Aliens is the best. Lots of action and so many top quotes all the way through. Alien3 and resurrection didn't really do anything for me.

Lavinder
15-08-07, 11:59
Alien Mix (http://media.putfile.com/Alien-Mix)

:p Here is a track that me and my dad composed years ago...

L.C
15-08-07, 17:24
but over the years i've developed a great fondness for the first movie "Alien", and for it's time, still holds it's own amongst most modern Sci-fi Horror movies, with it's great tension building, breathtaking score and set piece masterclassIt did more than hold it's own at the time, it broke new ground.

Is anybody here old enough to remember when the first print ads for it came out?

http://img.search.com/thumb/c/c3/Alien_movie_poster.jpg/200px-Alien_movie_poster.jpg

Months before the film's release, all we saw was this strange egg thing, and the infamous line 'In space, no one can hear you scream'

At the time, Star Wars and Close Encounters had resurrected the sci-fi genre, but they were nice, family-friendly flicks. No one was ready for what lay beyond this teaser of a poster. It freaked people out well before the release, as they had no clue what the film would be about. Just some screaming that no one would hear.

And, of course, the film delivered as it teasingly promised; a very tense and moodily scary Sci-Fi Horror film.

jackles
15-08-07, 18:27
I watched Alien when it came out in a pitch black cinema....and the film os very dark too. My then bf suddenly prized my hand off his leg. I had been so into it that as the tension rose i had been digging my fingers deeper and deeper in his leg!

Aliens is my all time fav film and the only film I can quote endlessly. Its so slick...funny sharp and cool.

Alien 3...meh..okay but too much sexual tension....and not in a good way

Alien res...I really loved how freaky Ripley was in this..the alien toughness to her. Pity about whiny Winona ......
I found the cgi off putting during the swimming bits..better old style.

Oh and Alien follows the old skool horror in the way that Ripley fights the monster whilst scantliy clad.
:whi:

The_Terminator
15-08-07, 18:41
That's it man! Game over man! Game over! :vlol:

L.C
15-08-07, 18:57
*Hudson scanning the computerised layouts of the facility*

'Smoking or non-smoking?'

The_Terminator
15-08-07, 19:01
We're in the pike. ...five by five.

L.C
15-08-07, 19:03
What the hell are we supposed to use, man? Harsh language?

jackles
15-08-07, 19:06
What the hell are we supposed to use, man? Harsh language?

thats one of my favs..

:cln:

it shows how good that film was..so many quotes.

The_Terminator
15-08-07, 19:07
ha ha!! I love that one too!

"she heard 'alien' and thought they said 'illegal' alien!"

TombRaiderLover
15-08-07, 19:30
"Get away from her, you *****!"

:mis:

L.C
15-08-07, 19:33
'Believe me, I'd prefer not to. I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid.'

The_Terminator
15-08-07, 19:43
"I guess she don't like the cornbread either."

L.C
15-08-07, 19:45
"I guess she don't like the cornbread either.":vlol:

Love it!

SoulReaver74
15-08-07, 20:06
Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?

No have you. :D

The_Terminator
15-08-07, 20:14
hee hee.

"Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards."

jackali
15-08-07, 20:24
Apart from the Last one, the tetrad was extremely good. Oh, and it should be the Alien Tetrad. Quadrilogy isn't a word.

L.C
15-08-07, 20:37
Hey Vasques, have you ever been mistaken for a man?

No have you. :DYou obviously missed my earlier post ;)

Vasquez Rocks!!! :tmb:

'Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?'

'No, have you?'

The_Terminator
15-08-07, 20:44
This thread reminded me of some alien art I did almost ten years ago.
I dug it out from the deep recesses of my hard drive and posted it in the fan art section:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=105146

Tyrannosaurus
15-08-07, 20:55
I don't think it means much of anything to comapre the first and second film to each other, since they are really two different genres, and both are absolutely top-notch. That's what I admire about Cameron's work, anyway; he didn't seek out to tell the same story again (as so many other sequels do), but to expand on the universe that was set up by the first film. The third and fourth movies don't do this at all.

Of course, the whole Alien franchise is dead, resurrected, and mutilated beyond all reason, so I don't want to see another Alien film, unless it is also willing to cast off the dictates imposed by Hollywood sequels. I think Scott was interested in making a prequel that would explore the story behind the derilict spacecraft and the fossilized alien pilot inside. Wouldn't that be an interesting story?

The_Terminator
15-08-07, 21:00
That is a top notch post!
You very succinctly described why Cameron's Aliens is such an awesome sequel.

A prequel might be interesting. It would have to be done very carefully to handle the subject matter properly though.

I don't know how many of you saw my entry to the old "United colors of Lara Croft" competition, but it should indicate how much of an Alien fan I am:

http://www.mroberg.smugmug.com/photos/129332906-M.jpg

SoulReaver74
16-08-07, 08:30
You obviously missed my earlier post ;)

Oh Yeah, sorry about that, just checked the last page as i'd posted earlier and saw the one liners that you was all posting, i shall recover myself with this, in the hope that no one has posted it,

Spunckmeyer god dam it. :D

BtoFu
16-08-07, 09:14
Spunckmeyer god dam it. :D

:vlol: One of the best.

remote91
16-08-07, 13:28
lmao terminator! I have only seen like 2 of these films but from what I remember they were very good.

L.C
16-08-07, 14:32
I don't know how many of you saw my entry to the old "United colors of Lara Croft" competition, but it should indicate how much of an Alien fan I am:That is truly awesome, Terminator :tmb:

Spunckmeyer god dam it. :DNot to worry. And good comeback :D

'Looks like love at first sight to me. Oh, he likes you, Burke!'

SoulReaver74
16-08-07, 16:17
Cheers L.C, and i've got another for ya.

Looks like some kind of secreted resin.

Yeah but secreted from what? :D

The_Terminator
16-08-07, 16:23
"Did IQ's just drop sharply while I was away?"

...or how about:
"It is the finding of this board of inquiry that Warrent Officer Ellen Ripley, has acted with questionable judgment and is unfit to hold an ICC license as a commercial flight officer.

Said license is hereby suspended indefinitely. No criminal charges will be filed at this time and you are released on own recognizance for a six month period of psychometric probation, to include monthly review by an ICC psychiatric tech." :D

Scottlee
16-08-07, 16:38
"Nobody touch nuthin!"

The first three are great films, assuming the third one to be the special edition (which adds 29 minutes). The fourth one is so-so.

Tthe Spirit
17-08-07, 05:00
Why is it that aliens in most movies have this similar shape..

you dont think that some scientists did really find a true alien....????

L.C
17-08-07, 21:34
'Any questions? What is it, private?'

'How do I get out of this chicken**** outfit?'