PDA

View Full Version : A Banned Trailer's Tribute

Rivendell
28-08-07, 11:05
Hi all :wve:

I made this yesterday, took a good few hours too. Using footage from TR:A I copied each section of the banned TR:AE trailer, just for fun - and to see the difference in versions.

Have to say, if it wasn't already obvious Core's game was more colourful and vibrant - it really is now.

Tomb Raider - AE Tribute (http://www.megavideo.com/?v=MXZ4KJ85)

Not so banned anymore, is it.
:mis:

Zelda master
28-08-07, 11:09
='( it wont load...
Nor can i download it... can you maybe please upload it somewhere else?

Nemo_91
28-08-07, 11:09
That's awesome :D :tmb:

Rivendell
28-08-07, 11:16
='( it wont load...
Nor can i download it... can you maybe please upload it somewhere else?

You might need to update your macromedia flash player (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/) to version 9.something to get the vids on that site to work.
I'm not uploading it anywhere else because:
1. It takes ages to upload stuff
2. Sucktube puts everything I upload out of sync.

scion05
28-08-07, 11:17
You just made me hate TRA more :(

:tmb:

Legend Killer
28-08-07, 11:18
Nice job! :tmb:

Angel_14
28-08-07, 11:20
Cool video! :) Did you use the invisible mode?

Rivendell
28-08-07, 11:23

Oh heck :o Sorry. Wasn't my intention, but there you go! :p

Cool video! :) Did you use the invisible mode?

Yes, thanks very much for it too! :D

Glad you like it guys.
:wve:

maximum_123
28-08-07, 11:26
Awesome! :tmb: Thanks Riv!

Koen_and_Lara
28-08-07, 11:26
Very cool vid! Nice job.

Alex Fly
28-08-07, 11:31
That's awesome, Rivendell ! Great work ! :tmb:

Reggie
28-08-07, 11:34
You did an awesome job Chris :tmb:

But I have to say that looking at that trailer and ther other one, you've really just showcased how lifeless and mediocre the games look through such a comparison. The only thing that gave that TRA trailer life was your editing skills which I must add were spot on and really helped to compare both games.

What unbelievable is that those are PS2/PC graphics and not PSP and yet the TR:AE scenes from the Core trailer were absolutely breathtaking.

RAID
28-08-07, 11:36
Holy GOD!!! That must be one hell of a university you go to :D Great work!!!

Same here, not because we didn't get a proper remake, but also because the environments are excellent and more beautiful when shown like this, but were ruined with out of place junk.

MiCkiZ88
28-08-07, 11:43
Blah.. >_<

I want TRAE now. Comparing that (which is well made :tmb:) to Core's one you can really see the difference in the atmosphere is just.. well. Just the trailer made me go aww which so far none of the CD trailers have made me say. Core's anniversary edition looked so much more vibrant, colourful and atmospheric. Plus it had double aim :p

James_Rutland
28-08-07, 11:44
Absolutely amazing work! Makes me hate TRA.. But still very close to Cores TRAE Trailer! :cln:

knutroald
28-08-07, 11:51
Awesome!! You did a perfect job Riv:D

Rivendell
28-08-07, 11:52
What unbelievable is that those are PS2/PC graphics and not PSP and yet the TR:AE scenes from the Core trailer were absolutely breathtaking.

Core's anniversary edition looked so much more vibrant, colourful and atmospheric.

My bro just said the same thing to me when he watched it.

Sure, Crystal's looked very realistic - but... It's so bland and dull in terms of colour and lighting. Everything is very plain - it's all browns, creams and greys.

As I said in this post (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=2061412&postcount=1713), I'd love for Crystal to be more experimental with their lighting - it can add so much to a game.

Thanks for the comments everyone :) :tmb:

Angel_14
28-08-07, 11:55
That was one of my problems with TRA: Egypt and Greece looked so pale that it was almost sad to look at them...

knutroald
28-08-07, 11:56
That was one of my problems with TRA: Egypt and Greece looked so pale that it was almost sad to look at them...

Agreed,especially Egypt was very dull.

Nightfall
28-08-07, 11:57
It was pretty good for an amateur; you should of limited the movement of the camera as everything becomes shaky.

In relation to the trailers, I’d say the Crystal’s Trailers are my favourite. Core's trailer wasn't organised at all just slap, bang then put any music on that may sound epic.

Reggie
28-08-07, 12:01
Glad to see others agree too. Is your brother a TR fan as well Chris?
I hope Crystal see your trailer and hopefully realises how it is indeed important to experiment more with lighting and the importance of using colours.

I think I also know why Lara doesn't really seem PART of the environment and its something people have wondered without an answer for a long time.
And the answer is actually down to the lack of colours. Y'see, when you do digital artwork, the most important thing is that you should choose a background colour first and then adapt the colours used to colour in the person in the foreground so that they look as part of the scene.

Lets say for example you wanted to do a picture with featuring some guy from a manga and you decide on a blue sky for the background. Well, when you get round to the lighting and shading in the characters skin, you actually take the blue from the background and you colour the skin in with a bit of blue. Colouring the character in with a little bit of the background colours actually immerses the character into the environment.

That's been impossible with TRA as there's not been much colour to work with. Even worse, Lara comes across as the most the most garish thing in every scene. She even unrealistically glows and shimmers which sets her further apart from the environment she's in. Likewise, it takes away the immersion factor for the gamer.

A bit of a long post but I'm happy that I've come to a conclusion after seeing that video.

Legends
28-08-07, 12:11
That was amazing! :tmb:

I really loved it. :D

MiCkiZ88
28-08-07, 12:17
As I said in this post (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=2061412&postcount=1713), I'd love for Crystal to be more experimental with their lighting - it can add so much to a game.Yup. Core's games were awesome with their colours & lighting. Not just lighting but the random effects here and there. Plus in Core's AE the had water coming down from the top of St.Francis Folly. It made it look even more atmospheric.

And yet core managed to make AE look like the locations were actually old. Most of them seem kinda fresh and like they were made for Lara in CD's one.

Hope you get what I mean. :)

Angel_14
28-08-07, 12:20
I forgot to ask: Rivendell, what programs do you use to capture and make videos? Because your video gave me an idea.

Reggie
28-08-07, 12:23
Yeah, I was thinking, it would be good if someone could perhaps tamper with the saturation and contrast of that vid and see what happens?

We weren't thinking the same thing were we Angel 14?

Zelda master
28-08-07, 12:24
I love the Core trailer now even more... i wanna CRYhttp://trle-community.net/images/smiles/cry.gif

Rivendell
28-08-07, 12:27
I forgot to ask: Rivendell, what programs do you use to capture and make videos? Because your video gave me an idea.

www.fraps.com

Btw - started using your texture packs now, they're great!

Aurelien52
28-08-07, 12:31
wow... It's Great! :jmp: (I want TR:AE)

Where did you get the TRAE logo?

Angel_14
28-08-07, 12:38
www.fraps.com (http://www.fraps.com)

Btw - started using your texture packs now, they're great!

Thanks :D I must admit that I don't even play Anniversary without the pack. That grey shade hurt my eyes :p

Mona Sax
28-08-07, 12:38
Brilliant job! :tmb: Really shows how much difference a bit of color and more realistic architecture can make.

Angel - did you make a mod pack for all levels?

Angel_14
28-08-07, 12:41
Brilliant job! :tmb: Really shows how much difference a bit of color and more realistic architecture can make.

Angel - did you make a mod pack for all levels?

Thanks for reminding me Mona. I actually finished Atlantis today, I just need to test it and if everything is okay, I'll release it :D

Mona Sax
28-08-07, 12:43
Awesome. I hope it works with the other mods I usually use (no hints, darker ledges).

Anajrob
28-08-07, 13:00
WOW! This is great! :tmb:

toby_13
28-08-07, 13:01
awsome!:tmb:

Greenkey2
28-08-07, 13:05
:tmb: Really enjoyed that.

Rivendell
28-08-07, 13:14

Indeedio :tmb:

Thanks again all!

Jin Uzuki
28-08-07, 13:24
I just watched the original AE trailer, and then watched this one. I can't believe I've only seen the contrast now. I'm in disbelief. I don't know why, but this video literally made me hungry for colors.

Thanks for this eye-opener, Chris.

nicola1986
28-08-07, 13:26
Nice vid! :tmb:

-DEBUG
28-08-07, 14:18
Incredible! You just made me miss Core a whole lot more! Seriously though, very good video!

Marija_Croft
28-08-07, 14:25
Nicely done.It looks very Tomb Raider-ish, Lara's green shirt makes it very classic.It's really a great comparison.Great job.

LegenDarY
28-08-07, 14:31
Amazing job Christ :tmb:

About the lightning, hopefully this will be adjusted and corrected in the next-gen TR. I mean they have all the horse-power they need, they just need to work with it.

CD can show some serious game developing skills with the 360 and PS3. They could make one of the best games ever, cause TR has all the potential, but I'm not convinced they have what it takes.

Imagine how it would look on the 360/PS3 when Lara is walking through an ancient dark tomb with a torch in her hands, exploring the territory. It could look amazing.

I wish Core had just one shot at making a next-gen TR, I just know they would make the best TR ever. With all their traps and non-linear levels and great atmosphere.

Zebra
28-08-07, 14:41
Nice Vid!!!!!!
But that where she pulls the box in the trailer from TRAE I think it's in Egypt cause you can see hieroglyphs and egyptian paintings on the wall. I don't think it's in the cistern.
But really nice :tmb:!

mizuno_suisei
28-08-07, 14:43
Hmm. I would love to be watching your video, but on MegaVideo it loads to 14seconds and then it just stops. Would you mind YouTubing?

Thanks.

Zac,

michaeldt
28-08-07, 15:12
EDIT: That was Fantastic. Just like the origional trailer

Rivendell
28-08-07, 15:15
I wish Core had just one shot at making a next-gen TR, I just know they would make the best TR ever. With all their traps and non-linear levels and great atmosphere.

One day we're bound to get another action/adventure game from Rebellion - it's inevitable ;)

But that where she pulls the box in the trailer from TRAE I think it's in Egypt cause you can see hieroglyphs and egyptian paintings on the wall.
It's the Cistern - I'm 110% sure of it - you can see the switch high up on the wall to the right and the metal doorway to the left. :ton:

And sorry to those who can't see it-
If you can't see it at all then you probably need to update your macromedia flash player (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/) to version 9.something.

I'm not putting it on youtube, as youtube is crap at the moment. I'm boycotting it.

TombRaiderLover
28-08-07, 15:18
Great trailer. I've always imagined someone doing this. :)

Just goes to show how dull TRA looks. :rolleyes: Damn you, Crystal!

touchmyheart
28-08-07, 15:23
Excellent work! That must have taken a couple of hours :D

mizuno_suisei
28-08-07, 15:24
YouTube seems to be working normally now.. On a Dial-Up Connection too :o Oh well, Please make sure to post the link when YouTube is working for you.

NightWish
28-08-07, 16:13
LOL! Great idea! And GREAT VID! :tmb:

Assassino
28-08-07, 16:17
Awesome work man!
\m/

bloodstormaoa
28-08-07, 16:31
Absoutely amazing.

tomblover
28-08-07, 16:37
Stunningly amazing! :eek: :hug: :tmb:

Zebra
28-08-07, 16:46
One day we're bound to get another action/adventure game from Rebellion - it's inevitable ;)

It's the Cistern - I'm 110% sure of it - you can see the switch high up on the wall to the right and the metal doorway to the left. :ton:

If you can't see it at all then you probably need to update your macromedia flash player (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/) to version 9.something.

I'm not putting it on youtube, as youtube is crap at the moment. I'm boycotting it.

I don't think that there are paintings in the Cistern where you can see somebody with a leopard-skin on an egyptian chair.
Sorry. You might be sure about the level-design. But I'm sure about the ancient egyptian elements (not necessary to speak about that the room looks like it has an open ceiling).

gtkilla
28-08-07, 16:46
Wonderful!!! :tmb: But, you must be using a filter for some scenes because I know Egypt(especially the pillar area in SoS and the obelisk in OoK) is not that dull.

About the lightning, hopefully this will be adjusted and corrected in the next-gen TR. I mean they have all the horse-power they need, they just need to work with it.

CD can show some serious game developing skills with the 360 and PS3. They could make one of the best games ever, cause TR has all the potential, but I'm not convinced they have what it takes.

Imagine how it would look on the 360/PS3 when Lara is walking through an ancient dark tomb with a torch in her hands, exploring the territory. It could look amazing.

I have no doubt TR8 will be more colorful and atmospheric. Have you played Legend in next-gen or on the 360? It's like playing a different game. The colors are so vibrant & rich and the areas are so dark that you need to use her PLS. It's gorgeous! :D

2kool4u
28-08-07, 16:47
Lol nice vid.

Eddie Haskell
28-08-07, 16:50
Superb editing job, you have a definite future in the industry if you choose to go there. Well done! :tmb::tmb::tmb:

Rivendell
28-08-07, 17:01
Wonderful!!! :tmb: But, you must be using a filter for some scenes because I know Egypt(especially the pillar area in SoS and the obelisk in OoK) is not that dull.

The pillar area had to be brightened and contrasted up - perhaps that's why it looks 'filtered'. Apart from that one everything was normal - including the Obelisk!

And cheers Eddie! :D

Dakaruch
28-08-07, 17:06
well i wish i could see it Riv... but my net provider won't allow me
i already passed my international trafic limits:(

Pipolinne
28-08-07, 18:04
That's why you didn't answer my PMs :whi:...:D

It seems we're bound to disagree,lol: CORE's trailer also seemed a little dark.Actually,all seemed to be involved by fog,while,in TR:A,taking Greece,all seems covered by dust.

Atlantis is a serious case of repetitive décor after a while,but its red it's quite bright.

,Lost alleyGreece had some wonderful light effects,mostly the beginning ( columns ,etc) and Damocles,while Egypt,it's a fact,seemed too fade away,but I don't see such a great contrast between the two colour scheme.

Of course,great trailer ( and I'd prefer the Medussa to the centaur :mad:)!

danitiwa
28-08-07, 18:31
That was disappointing! :vlol:

Love the Star Wars music. :cln:

KurtisLonely
29-08-07, 07:06
LMAO!!! Good job Riv! :vlol: :tmb:

it really looks like the TRAE trailer :p

Rivendell
29-08-07, 09:15
it really looks like the TRAE trailer :p

Good, it's supposed to ;)

,Lost alleyGreece had some wonderful light effects,mostly the beginning ( columns ,etc) and Damocles,while Egypt,it's a fact,seemed too fade away,but I don't see such a great contrast between the two colour scheme.

Yeah, there are some fantastic light effects in TR:A. But as I said in another thread - after the first load of times of seeing white light pouring in shafts through a hole in a roof with some dust swirling in it, it gets plain.
Core's was much more experimental with the lighting. Not only where the environments themselves a lot more vibrant, but you had deep colour in the lighting - not just 'white light' as in TR:A.

Look at the green tint of the Cistern, the orangy/yellowy/blue tint to Egypt, the variety of colours in the Lost Valley - TR:A is very dull in it's use of colour in comparison. White lights, and brown colours prevail throughout it.

DMC
29-08-07, 11:12
Yaaay!
I remember the trailer!!!
(I accidentally erased it a few months ago...)
Gr8 job Riv

Reggie
29-08-07, 11:15
Riv, do you mind if I ask what your motivation was for making this? To compare? to offer people a legal alternative? nostalgia? all the above? :)

Rivendell
29-08-07, 12:28
To compare and to offer a legal alternative were definitely my intentions.
On posting it I had a niggling fear that some might think I was trying to replace Core's footage with this one, but I'm sure most of you know that's not the case.

The intention was to compare colours - I didn't think it'd be as colourful, but I had no idea it would look this plain - and also if anyone wanted to refer to 'that bit in the trailer where X happens' and if nobody was sure then this video would be able to be posted and referred to.

:)

Jack Croft
29-08-07, 12:40
Well done Riv! :tmb:

Stig911
29-08-07, 13:40
It doesnt load...

Reggie
29-08-07, 13:45
Cool, I kind of guessed that was the angle you were going for but its really hammered home the point on colour too. :tmb:

You would do well to work in the media, what plans do you have?
Maybe you could do something like this one day?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Minute_Wonder

danitiwa
29-08-07, 13:47

JESUS! :vlol: (If you know what I mean. :D)

Rivendell
29-08-07, 14:14
Maybe you could do something like this one day?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Minute_Wonder

Wow! That's pretty cool. Perhaps I'll try that next year. It'd definitely be worth a shot! Cheers :tmb:

JESUS! :vlol: (If you know what I mean. :D)

:vlol: I didn't notice the T on the end!

mizuno_suisei
29-08-07, 14:46
Hi Rivendell.

I am so desperate to see this video, but I cant.
I have sent you a PM ;)

Zac,

Rivendell
29-08-07, 14:46
I'm currently trying to upload it to another website- hopefully it won't take too long. :wve:

myrmaad
29-08-07, 15:04
Wow, that is outstanding! Thank you for pouring your heart into it!

walk_man
29-08-07, 15:29
That was fantastic ! Really felt like a different game !

Rivendell
29-08-07, 16:21
Thanks both! :hug: Glad you enjoyed it!

Okidokes folks - if you couldn't see it on MegaVideo, hopefully Sharkle will be better for you.
Edit: - Nope, Sharkle is naff.

Reggie
29-08-07, 16:58
Wow! That's pretty cool. Perhaps I'll try that next year. It'd definitely be worth a shot! Cheers :tmb:

Glad to hear it, good luck to you :tmb:

Pipolinne
29-08-07, 19:09
Let's say I tried to remember better the CORE's trailer :whi: and watched yours right after,adding TR:A 's official trailer: the first thing that comes to my mind is that they're incredibly similar in certain parts,mainly the lizards and waterfall puzzle ones.

If we compare the colours,we must compare CD's and CD's ways of facing TR: CryD 's choice match their Lara: simple,more tender,etc,taking the Folly. I think CryD was closer to the original on these levels,perhaps because they enjoyed them,perhaps because their representation of Greece was reflected by CORE's vision...the point is you'll find a colour diversity in there you won't find the rest of the game. But CryD's light isn't always white: actually,it seems to reflect the day,LV seems a morning level,etc.

Egypt has moments where we can feel its majesty, but,as you said,it's simpler than CORE's...quite more sandy and the levels hardly differ one from each other .

CryD is definitely less intense than CORE's one,but in terms of light effects,CryD manages some pure beauty moments and I haven't seen that on CORE's trailer.

Rivendell
29-08-07, 19:13
Fair enough! :) It's always good to read your views on this sort of thing!

I agree as before that some of the lighting in Crystal's is beautiful, I'm just more attracted to the more obvious rainbow-bright colours in Core's. :tmb:

Pipolinne
29-08-07, 19:19
If both of us continue this way,we'll end up discussing Lara's hair :vlol:!

Rivendell
29-08-07, 19:21
It's the wrong shade of brown. :mad:

Reggie
29-08-07, 19:21
Pipoline, that's the first decent comment I've seen that criticises the trailer.
And that's because you've pointed out that the one thing Core's TR:AE seemed to lack was the more refined and subtle nature of TR:A's environment. For those who prefer the understated and simple over the garish and in-your-face style from Core, I understand they would most likely think similarly to you.

As it happens, I prefer the garish and in-your-face style from the AE trailer but its interesting hearing what you've had to say on it Pipoline. :tmb:

And stop flirting with each other.
I know you are :p
:D

Pipolinne
29-08-07, 19:35
CORE doesn't allow us to see the different shades of brown the sun would inflect upon Lara's hair :vlol:!

Reggie :ton: and thanks!

Actually,I think CORE is more...sensual while CD is more prude...more repressed,lol!

Reggie
29-08-07, 20:06
:vlol:

Nice description...hmm I wonder what appeals to me most Sensual or Sensible? Its like choosing which type of girl to date :p

xcrushterx
29-08-07, 20:36
You sly... Can't think of a name lol

Anyways, AWESOME Chris :D

Anniversary Lara
30-08-07, 01:53
Love the flyby cameras! Very well done! :tmb:

Rivendell
30-08-07, 15:45
Thanks both, glad you like it :)

Ok, yesterday's Sharkle link didn't work - so here's my final resort.
If you can't see it, and are that intent on watching it then you can either find a way to make Megavideo work on your pc, or download the original vid here:

AE Tribute Video - Axifile download link (http://www.axifile.com/?1900549)

:wve:

danitiwa
30-08-07, 18:27
Fair enough! :) It's always good to read your views on this sort of thing!

I agree as before that some of the lighting in Crystal's is beautiful, I'm just more attracted to the more obvious rainbow-bright colours in Core's. :tmb:

It's the wrong shade of brown. :mad:

:vlol: Ah, you guys. :D These are the joys of being on a forum. Watching people mud sling. :vlol: :p

kill bill
30-08-07, 18:59
Wow makes me realise core might have made a betta game

walk_man
30-08-07, 21:05
Wow makes me realise core might have made a betta game

Its TRA tho. :confused:

jackali
30-08-07, 21:09
Very good job indeed. So very much like the banned AE trailer. I like the way you have done it greatly.

Lior_K
31-08-07, 12:11

Awesome trailer, Riv! :tmb:

As for the box - I always thought it was City Of V. - the part where she pushed the box to find the area with the idol-key.

Edit: Never mind, you were right - Cistern indeed.

Nathan0107
23-09-07, 18:23
wow! Rivendell tht was Awesome!
good work :tmb:

AODdigger
23-09-07, 18:46
:jmp: GREAT JOB RIV!! :D Pardon, not R.I.V., V.I.P., or better yet, V.I.M. Very important Moderator :D And woah, that site's got awesome video quality :)

MelikeLara
23-09-07, 20:00
as gtkilla said cd are capable of making a beautifully lit and atmospheric game, just play legend on 360. its a totally different experience, this is one reason im peeved tra won't be like legend on 360, it would be brilliantly lit, can you imagine Egypt in legend graphics? [drools]

Lenochka
23-09-07, 20:07
ooh :3
I actually like this trailer alot more then the core AE version tbh.

Apofiss
23-09-07, 21:48
Old thread/requested closure.