PDA

View Full Version : Facebook to make profiles accesible to search engines

disneyprincess20
06-09-07, 09:11
Hey folks :wve:

I know that some of you, like me, are Facebook users. Personally, I've always enjoyed the privacy of Facebook - the fact that very few other people can see your Facebook profile. According to this (http://www.theregister.com/2007/09/05/facebook_public_access/) webiste, very soon your Facebook profile will become accessible via search engine. If this does not worry you, please disregard this thread.

If however you are concerned by this, I urge you to visit your privacy settings page (top right side of your profile, next to 'logout') and change your settings. You can make it as narrow as you like, with only your friends being able to see you, effectively making you invisible unless you invite other people to be your friends.

I strongly advise the younger members of the forum do this, but obviously this is only a suggestion. I would just hate to think a young person who thought they were safe on Facebook suddenly found themselves in trouble because of this change in Facebook policy.

Just a suggestion from your friendly neighbourhood nag! :)

Larson_1988
06-09-07, 09:13
Privacy? Facebook is anything but privacy! Sorry for sounding so negative. But i hate that site. :p Anyway, thanks for posting! :wve:

EscondeR
06-09-07, 09:14
Thanx for "heads up" Steph :)
BTW, you can post security and privacy alerts like this HERE (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=104858)...

ace_85
06-09-07, 09:17
This annoyed the hell out of me, personally. I think Facebook is definitely losing contact with it's original concept, which I always saw as a low-key version of MySpace. Needless to say, I've already changed my settings - I don't want half the world being able to access my profile - but I was suitably unimpressed that I had to do it at all *sigh*

disneyprincess20
06-09-07, 09:20
I completely agree ace, which is why I thought this needed to be posted - it can be likened to false advertising really, saying we were signing up to a secure networking site (sounds like an oxymoron!) but actually anyone can see it.

Alex - I'm very sorry, you can move this if you like :o

EscondeR
06-09-07, 09:22
Never mind Steph :hug: I can't move the thread out of here...
Let it be where it is. I just mentioned for future ;) That thread was created specially for these news.

Joe_16
06-09-07, 13:18
Didn't realise they were doing this. I'ld rather they kept it like it is.

clairelovestlc
06-09-07, 13:21
Instead of showing your profile it will just show your " contact card" the bit people can see when they search for you but you havent added you as a friend :)

you can set up in your settings how much infor people can get about you before you accept them as a friend.

At the end of the day facebook is a public medium and you shouldn't put anything on there that you do not want the "public" to know or see

ace_85
06-09-07, 13:26
At the end of the day facebook is a public medium and you shouldn't put anything on there that you do not want the "public" to know or see

Actually, it originally was never a 'public medium' - that is precisely the point as to why all this concerns me. Once upon a time, you could only join or view networks associated with the email address you registered with. Nowadays, however, it's going much more down the MySpace 'free-for-all' approach, which is one of the primary reasons why I don't use it as much as I used to