PDA

View Full Version : Work experience

xcrushterx
07-09-07, 19:09
I don't know about any other country or place, but here in Scotland pupils in 4th year get sent out to work somewhere for a week.

I've made my requests of where I'd like to go (:D), but I'd like to know if anyone else here gets this and where did you go?

:)

Cord_Croft
07-09-07, 19:10
We get work experience at the end of year 10 sometime =]

scion05
07-09-07, 19:10
I think it's Year 11 for us :( :p :(

Scottlee
07-09-07, 19:11
Yeah we have it in England. It's a con, basically. Companies get you to make coffee and open the post for six weeks. You learn nothing and you don't get paid.

Waste of time.

scion05
07-09-07, 19:11
SIX WEEKS ? We get 2 lol... :p

xcrushterx
07-09-07, 19:12
Yeah we have it in England. It's a con, basically. Companies get you to make coffee and open the post for six weeks. You learn nothing and you don't get paid.

Waste of time.
Really? I don't think it's like that here. We only have it for a week and we sometimes get paid ^_^ Most people enjoy it :D

knutroald
07-09-07, 19:17
We do that here too, but only for one week:)

Geck-o-Lizard
07-09-07, 19:20
lol. It really is a con. I got put with a print & design shop whose employees weren't even expecting to get work experience kids (their boss organised it with the school without telling anyone), and didn't have anything for me to do - so I just brought my laptop in and fidgeted around in Photoshop by myself each day I was there.

scion05
07-09-07, 19:22
Our school is more co-operative, we get to request things, so im asking for a cafe or something like a supermarket ^_^ LOL ^_^

Reggie
07-09-07, 19:27
Well I had a really wicked time as a teaching assistant at my old primary school. It was such a fulfilling experience and I couldn't have hoped for it to be any better than what it was. I felt like I was one of the teaching staff and I was given a lot of proper responsibilites that challenged me at times but was all the more rewarding for it.

Best moment had to bethe Japanese language and miso soup tasting session. They were all so enthusiastic and they picked up the Japanese language basic vocab very fast :)

Enjoy work experience, choose wisely and try to get the most out of it. :tmb:

Ladyknowles
07-09-07, 19:30
My years is in 2 weeks (I'm in year 11)
Buuuut!
I get to miss mine! =]
Some people out of my GCSE art class are going to Barcelona!
Only 2 weeks :D:D:D:D

Jacob x5
07-09-07, 19:34

Waste of time.

:D True.

I didn't do it, myself. I stayed at school and did the various tasks I was set. It was a lot more varied.

Grenade
07-09-07, 19:35
Oh we did it around March when we were in Year 10. I did it at my primary school, and I had a good time there! :)

Dark Lugia 2
07-09-07, 19:40
Mine will be around march this year or the next :o (year 10 right now for me) I've opted for work in a uni with my friend, they've accepted and we just need to get it in writing! :D :jmp:

Sedge
07-09-07, 22:39
Oh, at least in our school when I was 13 years old(I'll express it like this since I don't know how you define your "years" at school - when I was 13 I was at the 7th grade) we had one day of "work experience" or whatever you call it.. Practical training at some work place? Ah well, I went to hospital(my mom works there). When I was 14 we had one whole week, and I went to the hospital again. :p Last year I didn't really know where to go so they put me in our school and I helped the cleaners(which.. was tough). But yup, it's completely up to us where we go, so for most of the people it's a pretty illustrative and interesting experience and they get some kind of an idea about what the work is like... Really depends on the place's staff though. And how's your attitude towards the whole thing. O_o

I didn't really find it that useful or great myself.. Mainly because hadn't any interest in it, just went to mom's place and so, it was just.. boring. At least the weeks were different, whee. :)

findme
07-09-07, 22:41
it is a con. I did it at a golf shop. (<---that sounded so wrong)

It sucked.

But hey, it's something on your CV right? :)

MiCkiZ88
07-09-07, 22:44
We have it for a week or two. I can't remember. It's been over 3 or 4 years since we had it. I was in a library and a library bus. The bus was fun as you didn't stay in the same place all the time :p

Mad Tony
07-09-07, 22:45
I know we do it at the end of this year (I'm in year 10) and I know we have to choose from a list of places by the end of the month but we haven't been given the choices or been told much about work experience yet.

Here's hoping I end up doing something with computers or banking. :D

Lew
07-09-07, 23:07
I loved it. So much better than school plus it was 2 weeks long, trusted more, longer free time and it was fun cause i worked with younger people aged around 19/20. Even if I was in Lingerie for a week haha. AH well it was fun.