PDA

View Full Version : Man arrested for using another's wireless

Geck-o-Lizard
07-09-07, 19:34
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6960304.stm

Do you agree that it should be a punishable offense to connect to the internet via someone else's wireless network?

xcrushterx
07-09-07, 19:37
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6960304.stm

Do you agree that it should be a punishable offense to connect to the internet via someone else's wireless network?
No, not at all. Networks can be protected etc etc and if the owner of the network is too lazy to use the protection then it's his/her fault if this happens. Also, you could connect to their network by mistake. I've seen it happen a few times.

danitiwa
07-09-07, 19:37
Well it's not good moraled, it's a bit like stealing money IMO. So proabably there should be consequences, but nothing like going to jail etc. I'd say that paying for it or community service would be a good punishment.

Grenade
07-09-07, 19:38
Well it's not good moraled, it's a bit like stealing money IMO. So proabably there should be consequences, but nothing like going to jail etc. I'd say that paying for it or community service would be a good punishment.
Yeah that sounds about right. :wve:

Geck-o-Lizard
07-09-07, 19:39
it's a bit like stealing money IMO.

It's not really very like stealing money. Read the article I posted.

Jacob x5
07-09-07, 19:41
I know someone next door who doesn't protect his wireless internet connection. My dad says that next time he sees him he'll tell him, because I don't think the guy realises. I think there might be someone on the opposite side of us who actually takes advantage of it. :cln:

Lavinder
07-09-07, 19:41
I believe if the person does not rape their bandwidth, then of course they should be able to use someone else's wireless - no harm done.

danitiwa
07-09-07, 19:42
It's not really very like stealing money. Read the article I posted.

Sorry Grace, :cln: terribly lazy tonight.

I had a mile run at P.E and then lots of soccer and soccer practise.... :p

Necromanser
07-09-07, 19:43
If the person is stupid enough not to protect their w-lan network its his fault that other people are using it

jamieoliver22
07-09-07, 19:43
It depends what they do with it. If they just basically use the connection for surfing the net and such, then it is ok, but if someone got into the connection and monitored personal information transfered over it, then that isn't ok.

Catlantean
07-09-07, 20:04
If they did something criminal while connected to an unprotected wireless network, sure, they should answer for that act - but for connecting to the said network, no. An unprotected network is a public network, and enabling encryption takes only a few clicks anyway.

Forever_Laras_56
07-09-07, 20:12
people theses days.stooping to that kind of level of siting in a street and stealing thoughts peoples internet that thar paying for. i got 3 words for that guy GET A JOB.:p

myrmaad
07-09-07, 20:25
Oh for Pete's sake. I've known reputable business men who hop on wireless while traveling or in the city to check stock prices and whatnot, it's not like they're actually taking anything from anyone, since they are also paying for their own connections at their offices and homes. So what. I wouldn't care, hell I probably wouldn't even notice.

Mr.Burns
07-09-07, 20:27
Is it ethical? Not in my view. But if someone doesn't take the time to secure their wireless router, than it's their own damn fault for not being more careful.

Lavinder
07-09-07, 20:59
Leave your car out unlocked with the keys in the ignition, and someone steals it - yeah it's wrong, but whose fault is it?

Geck-o-Lizard
07-09-07, 21:03
We're not talking about running into the person's house and nicking their router here. :vlol:

Personally, I've been charged money and had my internet throttled for going over my fair usage quota, so I really get hacked off when I see fresh connections on my router log. I've got it encrypted as best I can, but I really don't agree with people connecting to unprotected networks to use the internet.

jamieoliver22
07-09-07, 21:07
Lets put it this way, I would hate it if someone was using my wireless connection- but I do make sure that nobody can get onto my wireless network (not saying it is impossible, but it would be really hard to do so - so most people would just try an easier one anyway). But yeah, if they do leave it unsecured then that is their fault really - like now for instance, my laptop is currently picking up 2 unsecured connections that I could easily connect to if I wanted to. The problem is that most people don't know the dangers (well you know what I mean) of wireless connections, they don't realize they have to do extra steps to make it secure.

Jacob x5
07-09-07, 22:10
...I really don't agree with people connecting to unprotected networks to use the internet.

Neither do I. Some people don't know much about this kind of thing. They might not be fully aware of protecting wireless connections. By taking advantage of their unprotected internet connection you're also taking advantage of them.

Beanz
07-09-07, 22:13
No, not at all. Networks can be protected etc etc and if the owner of the network is too lazy to use the protection then it's his/her fault if this happens. Also, you could connect to their network by mistake. I've seen it happen a few times.

Ditto :)

jarhead
07-09-07, 22:22
Seen as you have to pay for an internet connection, I think its unfair that someone can connect and get something they would otherwise have to pay for.