PDA

View Full Version : General Myths & Legends thread

Earthcane
09-09-07, 22:15
Hey again Guys. Just thot i'd start a general thread about the myths and legends that define our various cultures.
You can post everything from the myths in your own country, to legends found all over the world, right down to the common ghost story.

I was inspired by the fact that Tomb Raider is based on uncovering centuries-old myths, such as Atlantis, Excalibur, and even Area 51.

Greek and Roman mythology is a great starting point. From the adventures (and misadventures) of Odysseus, to the horrifying face of Medusa, to the very lightning bolts of Zeus, Ancient Greece is the place for myths and legends. Hopefully CD will consider these things in future TR games.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Rivendell
09-09-07, 22:17
This'll be a fantastic thread! :D
I'll post some stuff tomorrow.

James_Rutland
09-09-07, 22:17
This'll be a fantastic thread! :D
I'll post some stuff tomorrow.

Ditto! :D

Earthcane
09-09-07, 22:22
Thanx Guys. I'll post some stuff 2moro too. Too tired now. Wanna go snooze.

Dakaruch
09-09-07, 22:24
great thread Earthcane... i was always fashinated by greek and egiptian myths :D
i'm even writing a story about greece and some of it's myths
i will post some from my country tomorrow

lita212
10-09-07, 00:14
awww this is a cool freash thread i like it :-)
i have always been into greek mythology etc. i love reading things about the gods and medusa etc i just find it fascinating. i think its cause i used to love the film "clash of the titans" when i was younger.

Indiana Croft
10-09-07, 01:06
Who here believes in Atlantis? I mean the continent. I sure as hell don't. I just don't find it possible that an entire continent could be lost beneath the waves and leave no evidence. I do believe that Atlantis was a real civilization, but the continent of Atlantis is nothing but a myth to me.

Also, I love mythology. I got big into when I was little, and I still have a passion for myths. This is a great thread idea!:)

nicola1986
10-09-07, 08:52
I can remember watching a film when I was a child with Medusa in it that I really enjoyed, I forgot what it was called, was it about a golden fleece or something similar?

And I can remember seeing something about Atlas holding up the sky, think it might have been the same program lol There was a man with a dog narrating it. Would love to watch that again :)

I love myths and legends, Greece has the best :)

myrmaad
10-09-07, 08:57
Very brief overview of Edgar Cayce's Atlantis "readings".
Cayce's Atlantis (http://www.edgarcayce.org/about_ec/cayce_on/ancient/index.html)

Earthcane
10-09-07, 12:29
Hey again Guys. Time to set the ball rolling.

Greek Mythology is a great place to start as it is easy to identify with.

So, here goes. Anyone ever hear of a tiny, insignficant thing called Homer's Odysssey?
(Hee Hee.) Havent read it, but I know th general story.

Odysseus was the son of Laertes, Ruler of Ithica. In the 10 years following the Fall of Troy, he became reknowned for his incredible bravery and cunning. On his varied adventures and mis-adventures, he encounterd many strange persons, became embroiled in near-death experiences, and enven went as far as angering the Gods.

Earliest accounts of Odysseus note his visit to the land of the Lotophagi, the Lotus eaters.
Some time later, he was shipwrecked on a desolate island in the middle of the sea. Here, he encountered the dreaded Cyclops, Polyphemus. Only after 6 of his companions had been eaten by the giant Cannibal, he succeeded in escaping the monster by stabbing him in the eye.

On another adventure, Odysseus discovered a mysterious floating island in the sky, home of Aeolus, Keeper of the Winds. He agreed to give Odysseus a bag containing the winds which would take him home. That nite when he was sleeping, his crew untwittingly opened the bag, and the winds blew them out to sea once again.

Next, he arrived on the island of Circe, who transformed his crew into pigs.

Odysseus also journeyed to Hades where he met Tiresias, who showed him the souls of all the dead. For his killing of Polyphemus, he was instructed to sacrifice to Poseidon.
Unwittingly, he was sent to the island of the Sirens, beautiful enchantresses bathing on the rocks, who lured some of the sailors to their deaths.

On another journey, Odysseus killed some cattle for food which angered Zeus, who ownd them. He struck his ship with lightning bolts and Odysseus was once again shipwrecked. Here he met the alluring Nymph Calypso, who imprisoned the hero for 7 years.

Well, those are my fave parts of the story.
It would be really cool to see Aeolus in TR, or even a cyclops like Polyphemus.
More stuff on Greek monsters, the Gods, The Punished, and Artemis coming Soon!

Dakaruch
10-09-07, 12:32
a little correction, it is Homero Odissey! ;)
not Homer... he was greek... so Homero

Necromanser
10-09-07, 13:10
Ive heard an egyptian legend that when you die you are transported to the underworld and Anubis weighs your heart against the feather of truth and if you lie to the questions he ask you you get eaten by ammit a half lion half crocodile monster

Earthcane
10-09-07, 14:57
Just thot i'd post some pics ;)

http://i15.************/4osjioi.jpg

So who said Medusa was ugly?(lol)

http://i12.************/4q4c27b.jpg

The Minotaur of Crete. Grrrrrr.

http://i10.************/6eyegb8.jpg

A friendly Cyclops.

http://i14.************/6bvlglz.jpg

Achilles. No, not Brad Pitt this time ;)

http://i2.************/66nng4p.jpg

Marvel's version of Thor, and his hammer Mjlonir.

Well, i'll post some more later. Enjoy!!

Dakaruch
10-09-07, 15:13
ok some pics from Egipt gods

Seth:
http://www.mariomarcia.com/FotosViagens/Africa/Egipto/InfoEgypt/DeusesDeusas/SethMM_1.jpg

Osiris:
http://www.mariomarcia.com/FotosViagens/Africa/Egipto/InfoEgypt/DeusesDeusas/OsirisMM_1.jpg

Bast:
http://www.watson.org/~ele/portfolio/bast1w.jpg

Ra:
http://www.zwoje-scrolls.com/zwoje39/Louvre_18b.jpg

Ptah:
http://www.lukasmoeller.com/Ptah_rot2.jpg

Anubis:
http://www.digital-images.net/Images/Universal/Anubis_5893.jpg

Horus:
http://ewancient.lysator.liu.se/pic/art/v/i/viklund/horus.jpg

Isis:
http://warj.med.br/pub/img/em-isis.jpg

Earthcane
10-09-07, 16:12
Wow. Really cool pics, especially Anubis and Horus. Ra was the Sun God, Right?
And i have a book that says Osiris was the God of the Underworld, and his wife Isis, mother of Horus, was identified with the Greek Demeter. Is that right?

Rivendell
10-09-07, 17:01
This is one of my favourite myths from my country:

Lleu Llaw Gyffes and Blodeuwedd

King Math asks his three nephews to recommend a maiden to rest his feet on, and Gwydion suggests his sister Arianrhod.

When King Math uses magic to test Arianrhod's virginity she reveals a golden-haired child, Dylan, who flees to the sea. Arianrhod runs away in disgrace but drops something small, which Gwydion, the king's nephew, hides in a chest at the foot of his bed.

One morning he wakes to hear a child crying. Inside the box he finds a baby boy, he gives him up to be looked after by a woman in the town. By the time the child is four, he's bigger than one twice his age.

One day King Math follows Gwydion to Arianrhod's castle where he tells her that the boy is her son. She refuses to acknowledge or name the boy. The following day Gwydion conjures a ship out of seaweed and leather and he and the boy sail to Caer Arianrhod near Dinas Dinlle.

King Math changes their appearance to prevent Arianrhod from recognising them. Once in view of the fort they begin making beautiful shoes on the deck of the ship. Arianrhod sees the shoes and orders them to make a pair for her.

As Gwydion measures her feet, a wren lands on the ship's deck. The boy aims a needle at the bird's leg and breaks it. Arianrhod comments that 'the fair boy has a deft hand', which provides his name: Lleu Llaw Gyffes (fair skillful hand). Angry at being tricked into naming the boy, Arianrhod swears that he'll never carry weapons unless she gives them to him.

When Lleu grows up Gwydion disguises them as storytellers and they trick Arianrhod into believing the country is at war. In panic, she gives the boy armour and weapons. When she realises who they are she swears that Lleu will never have a human wife.

Gwydion and Lleu go to Math and tell him about Arionrhod's curse. They create a wife for Lleu out of the flowers of the oak, the meadowsweet and the broom from the forest, naming her Blodeuwedd. Lleu and Blodeuwedd marry and Math gives them the lands of Eifionidd and Ardudwy to rule.

They move their court to Mur Castell, overlooking Trawsfynydd. Soon afterwards Blodeuwedd falls in love with a neighbouring lord, Goronwy Pefr of Penllyn, and they plot to kill Lleu.

Lleu is no ordinary mortal. He cannot be killed inside a house, nor outside one, on horseback, or on foot. Blodeuwedd tricks him into revealing that can be killed only by a spear which must be a year in the making, but he must be standing with one foot on a trough built on the side of a river with a roof over it, with the other foot on the back of a billy goat.

Blodeuwedd tells Goronwy, who begins work on the spear. A year later she asks Lleu to show her how he should stand in order to be killed. As he does, Goronwy throws the spear at him, but Lleu turns into an eagle and flies away.

Goronwy goes to live with Blodeuwedd and takes control of Lleu's land. Gwydion is heartbroken, and searches all over Wales until he finds Lleu perched in an oak tree in the Nantlle valley below Snowdon.

Gwydion changes Lleu back to human form but he's weak through illness, and Gwydion carries him back to King Math's court.

When fully recovered, Lleu plans revenge on Blodeuwedd and Goronwy Pefr. Blodeuwedd tries to run away but Gwydion catches her at Llyn Morwinion. He turns her into an owl, ensuring that other birds will attack her if she shows her face in daylight again.

Gwydion and Lleu overcome Goronwy, making him stand in the same position as Lleu did when the spear was thrown. Lleu does, however, allow Goronwy to use a stone as a shield. Lleu throws the spear so that it pierces the stone and kills Goronwy.

The stone is said to still exist, at Llech Ronw in the Cynfal Valley.

I just love the pure fantasy that oozes from the tale.. Magic, transfiguration, sorcerers, witches, complicated ways in which to kill seemingly immortal beings.. :D :cln: :yah: :jmp:

Another really cool myth is the Russian myth "Koschei the Deathless".

Koschei cannot be killed by conventional means targeting his body. His soul is hidden separate from his body inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest, which is buried under a green oak tree, which is on the island of Buyan, in the ocean.

As long as his soul is safe, he cannot die. If the chest is dug up and opened, the hare will bolt away. If it is killed, the duck will emerge and try to fly off. Anyone possessing the egg has Koschei in their power. He begins to weaken, becomes sick and immediately loses the use of his magic. If the egg is tossed about, he likewise is flung around against his will. If the needle is broken (in some tales this must be done by specifically breaking it against Koschei's forehead), Koschei will die.

(HORCRUX anyone? :mis: )

Another of my absolute favourites is the Nephilim myth, but I'd say around 95% of TR fans already know the basics of that one ;)

Thorir
10-09-07, 17:37
I love the Narcissus myth. :)

http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/5op/ch02/figs/narcissus.jpg

The river god Cephissus long had his eyes on the lovely nymph Leiriope. And, being a god, he got his wish and Leiriope in time grew heavy with child. On the fated day a boy was born to her, and being curious about what the future held in store for him she went to ask the blind seer Teiresias about his fate. "He will live a long life," said the wise man "but beware that he not set eyes upon his own reflection, for it will be his doom." His mother made sure that all the mirrors were safely put away, and he grew healthy and strong, and more beautiful that any other boy in the land. So often did people tell him how handsome he was that he began to think he must be someone really special.

Many were those who fell in love with the beautiful lad. Even when he was a baby his nurses swooned over him, and by his sixteenth year every man and woman in town pined for him. None of them however were good enough for him, he felt. One day his neighbor, Ameinias, could stand it no longer, and told Narcissus how much he longed for him, and asked him to be his lover. Narcissus said nothing, but merely sent a servant to deliver a dagger in response. Ameinias understood the meaning of the 'gift,' and with that dagger took his own life, calling down the wrath of the gods upon Narcissus, and cursing him to ever meet in love the same disdain that he had for others.

Echo was a mountain nymph who had once served Zeus by distracting Hera with meaningless chatter whenever she came close to where the Thunderer was compromising his marriage vows. Echo's prattle gave Zeus's guests sufficient time to make their exits. When Hera discovered the wily goddess's ruse, she flew into a rage: "Henceforth that evil tongue will silent be! Except when spoken to, you shall not speak at all and then but brief noises."

And so when Echo came upon Narcissus one morning as the youth was struggling with a deer he had just netted, she could only gaze and not speak. And gaze is what she did. Even among the deathless gods she had never seen his like. Hot desire coursed through her veins. How she longed to seduce the handsome youth with honeyed words, but she moved her lips in vain.

Narcissus sensed her eyes upon him. "Who's there?" he called out.
-"There," answered Echo, who could only repeat what was spoken to her.
-"Let me see you" said the boy.
-"See you," said Echo.

Momentarily intrigued, Narcissus then shouted, "What are you called?"

-"You called," the nymph replied. Then, unable to contain her ardor, she burst from her cover and threw herself, hot and panting, upon the beautiful youth. Not unused to such behavior, Narcissus quickly freed himself from her embrace and fled posthaste deeper into the forest, leaving his nets behind.

Echo followed after, trying to call out to calm his fears, disarm him, but no sounds came. The youth soon disappeared from her sight. For weeks the nymph wandered the forest in search of her beloved, sleeping little, eating nothing. She became so thin that before long there was nothing left of her at all that an eye could discern. To this day she wanders mountains the world over, still looking for Narcissus. The rocky canyons and deep valleys are her home. One can call out to her, and if she is home, she will answer but only with the words first spoken to her. By decree of Hera she can do no other.

One afternoon, within a month of his escape from Echo, in a secluded woods higher up Mount Helicon Narcissus fell to his knees, exhausted from hunting and being hunted. In front of him was a deep, clear pool, the glassy surface of which so caught the light through the trees overhead as to become a perfect mirror.

Narcissus had seen his shadow many times but never his reflection, Thus, when he leaned forward on his hands and knees and peered into the pool, he was startled by the image of unsurpassed beauty peering back at him. No face he had ever seen was like the one he now studied. For the first time in his life he fell in love.

He brought his face down closer to kiss the youth and reached into the pool to embrace him. His lips and arms found only water. Although he quickly withdrew, the reflection was for a moment broken by ripples in the water. Thinking his beloved had fled from him as he himself was wont to do, Narcissus began to weep. Presently, though, the ripples died down, and the beautiful face again appeared. "Do not leave me, oh handsome friend," he pled. "Stay, my love."

Again Narcissus reached down to touch the form in the water; again the image blurred when his hand broke the surface. Certain now his true love was forever lost to him, he tore at his hair and drew his nails slowly down across his throat. When he relented and the waters again cleared, the dear face reappeared, now battered and disheveled. The sight pained him, and he wept.

Helios's chariot finished its trek across the sky, gray night stole over the forest, but Narcissus did not stir. Nothing mattered to him save the elusive youth in the pool. Dawn's first light found him gazing intently into the water's clear depths. The face that slowly appeared was haggard and distraught. He reached his hand into the water to caress that cheek now most dear, and his frustrations of the day before were renewed.

"I love you! I love you!", he shouted a thousand times into the pool. The face, like Echo's, moved its mouth but made no sound. Unwilling, unable to leave the pool's edge, Narcissus at length died there, his once beautiful countenance now twisted and grotesque. Mountain nymphs found him and would have buried him; but as they were preparing for the funeral, his body vanished, and where it lay a flower bloomed with golden petals tinged with white.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/Waterhouse_Echo_and_Narcissus.jpg/800px-Waterhouse_Echo_and_Narcissus.jpg

Dakaruch
10-09-07, 17:41
Wow. Really cool pics, especially Anubis and Horus. Ra was the Sun God, Right?
And i have a book that says Osiris was the God of the Underworld, and his wife Isis, mother of Horus, was identified with the Greek Demeter. Is that right?

so earthcane to answer you, i will tell one of the myths from Ancient Egipt!

This is the Story of Seth and Osiris, two brothers that were sort of rivals... Seth was the god of Underworld, and Osiris the god of Life and Agriculture!
it seems that Seth was jealous of Osiris due to his position... Then Seth killed Osiris and it is supposed that he cut Osiris into Twelve pieces and threw them to the river, so the crocodiles could finish the rest! However Isis(osiris wife and sister) searched for the parts of Osiris and wraped them with linen... He was the first egiptian mummy... (it's due to this myth that the mumification became such a great and important ritual) After that Isis asked for Anubis to ressurect Osiris and bring him back to the world of the living... but Anubis could not bring him back as a human again... then he became the god of death as well, and it is supposed that he weight the heart of those who died against the feather of justice... if they weight the same, the heart was pure and worthy of going into the afterlife... if the heart was not pure, they went to the underworld to suffer!

The original form of the myth states that Osiris was killed by a wooden sarcophagus secretly being made to his measurements. A party was held where the coffin was offered to whomever could fit inside. A few people tried to fit in, but to no avail. Osiris was encouraged to try, but as soon as he lay back, the lid slammed on him and was locked. It was then sealed with lead and thrown into the Nile. Upon hearing that Osiris was gone, Isis set out to look for him. When she learned that the coffin was embedded in a tree, which had been taken and used as a pillar to support a palace, she managed to extract the coffin without harming the palace and took Osiris' body out into the desert. She freed him from the coffin and resurrected him temporarily to conceive. After he died again, she hid his body in the desert. Later, she had his son, Horus.

In Greece, the Demeter-Persephone death-resurrection cult at Eleusis, had a similar nature, and began at an extremely similar time. Many centuries later this led to interest in the Egyptian cult by the Greeks, including Plato. Eventually, a derived form of the Egyptian cult, having been infused with Platonism, spread to areas of Greek influence, particularly during the Hellenistic era of control over Egypt. As the cult referred to foreign gods, the forms of the cult in Greek nations were adopted to describe suitable local deities and merged and expanded to include elements from the local cultures. This produced a collection of closely related versions of the cult, whose central deities had been deformed to be similar to the Egyptian cult, and were by the 1st century BC collectively known as Osiris-Dionysus
this suggests that Osiris is identified with Dionysus
demeter is also identified with Demeter, they are both the godesses of fertility

Thorir
10-09-07, 17:59
I like artwork from mythology. :)

http://www.illusionsgallery.com/Valkyries-Vigil-L.jpg

A valkyrie, the choosers of the slain.

http://larryavisbrown.homestead.com/files/Ring/Valhalla.jpg

Bifröst, the rainbow bridge between Asgard, the realm of the Gods, and Midgard, the realm of humans.

Andromeda66
10-09-07, 18:03
Very brief overview of Edgar Cayce's Atlantis "readings".
Cayce's Atlantis (http://www.edgarcayce.org/about_ec/cayce_on/ancient/index.html)

Ooh yeah!! Firestone and everything :D
Apparently the firestone was some sort of a MASER which could store energy such that when an incident radiation fell on it, it would release the energy thereby giving out more than it took in and the mishandling of this instrument supposedly led to the destruction of the continent.

I'd read this assorted articles of Cayce's account of Atlantis. A very interesting read. :tmb:

danitiwa
10-09-07, 18:06
I think the tale of the Gorgons is my favorite Myth. ;)

And then there's the Sphynx, etc. I love Mythology.

In Norse Mythology my favorite one is the tale Fernir.

Harry Potter Lovers: I think that's where J.K got her name for greyback. :D

One thing I don't get though is; aren't Ra and Horus the same god? Do they have different names in different regions or what?

Dakaruch
10-09-07, 18:26
One thing I don't get though is; aren't Ra and Horus the same god? Do they have different names in different regions or what?

well i think that your right, but it has nothing to do with regions but yes with eras... ;)

Egipt story was divided in some eras... the ones i know about are Old Kingdom, Middle Kingdom and New Kingdom...

in the old kingdom, the lands in Egipt were united into one man rule, one only king, times where Egipt thrived and had to fight for it's lands and it's supremacy... they managed to do it, and entered Old kingdom, with a whole new linage of Pharaohs... this is the era of the piramids, until this era the God Ra was worshiped as the god of the Pharaoh, sun and something else...
when egipt was in it's full glory, something terrible happened, one Pharaoh died without leaving kids and the Egipt rule was endangered... so the civil wars started! egipt was ravaged, suposedly Osiris and some other gods even left them to their own luck... after one of the families won the civil war egipt was really bad, and they needed to start all over... the cult of Ra was abondoned and another god came to his place, it was Horus god of the Pharaoh! after that Osiris and the other gods came to egipt aid and they entered another thriving era, the new kingdom... with that new era came new enemies, but egipt survived that... then it once more entered another era, but about the next ones i don't know much

Earthcane
10-09-07, 18:38
Hey, Rivendell. Horcruxes, exactly! Jo Rowling bases a lot of her universe on myths, legends, etc that are not well known, and she takes nearly all of her creatures ( centaurs, hippogryphs etc.) from well-known myths.

"Lleu is no ordinary mortal. He cannot be killed inside a house, nor outside one, on horseback, or on foot. Blodeuwedd tricks him into revealing that can be killed only by a spear which must be a year in the making, but he must be standing with one foot on a trough built on the side of a river with a roof over it, with the other foot on the back of a billy goat."

A lot of myths deal with the subject of immortality. Theres Cuchlainn in Irish Mythology, and other mortals who became immortal.
What you posted there reminds me of the Witch-King in LOTR, remember?
Glorfindel says that he cannot be killed by any man, but Eowyn solves that problem ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, Thorir. I like the Narcissus myth, too. What exactly is a "nymph", tho?
Is it like a siren or mermaid?

"Narcissus had seen his shadow many times but never his reflection, Thus, when he leaned forward on his hands and knees and peered into the pool, he was startled by the image of unsurpassed beauty peering back at him. No face he had ever seen was like the one he now studied. For the first time in his life he fell in love."

That Asgard pic is really cool.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi again Dakaruch.

"and wraped them with linen... He was the first egiptian mummy... (it's due to this myth that the mumification became such a great and important ritual)"

I thot people were mummified just to preserve the bodies for the afterlife. You know in the Mummy when Imhotep is put in the coffin and they fill it with scarab beetles- was that just a punishment or was it common?

Anyway, some nice facts ther:

"it seems that Seth was jealous of Osiris due to his position... Then Seth killed Osiris and it is supposed that he cut Osiris into Twelve pieces and threw them to the river, so the crocodiles could finish the rest! However Isis(osiris wife and sister) searched for the parts of Osiris and "

The Twelve parts of Osiris.
That would make a cool puzzle for lara in a future TR! You know, a bit like collecting the Armour of Horus in Cleos palaces level in TR4 :)

Anyway, will post some more pics soon.

Dakaruch
10-09-07, 18:52
Hi again Dakaruch.

"and wraped them with linen... He was the first egiptian mummy... (it's due to this myth that the mumification became such a great and important ritual)"

I thot people were mummified just to preserve the bodies for the afterlife. You know in the Mummy when Imhotep is put in the coffin and they fill it with scarab beetles- was that just a punishment or was it common?

Anyway, some nice facts ther:

"it seems that Seth was jealous of Osiris due to his position... Then Seth killed Osiris and it is supposed that he cut Osiris into Twelve pieces and threw them to the river, so the crocodiles could finish the rest! However Isis(osiris wife and sister) searched for the parts of Osiris and "

The Twelve parts of Osiris.
That would make a cool puzzle for lara in a future TR! You know, a bit like collecting the Armour of Horus in Cleos palaces level in TR4 :)

hello:wve:
the thing that happen to Imhotep was a punishmenat, they made it that way, so he could not be in rest, i mean i would never had the chance to go to the afterlife i guess... i'm sure that it is one of the ancient egiptian curses... the dead bodies were mumified so that the body was preserved to the afterlife, there is an often known sentence from the high subdits of the Pharaoh, that is the following " we will eternally serve you in the field of reeds" reeds are the plant that was used to make the papyrus! the field of reeds is the place where the pharaoh should be when he died, aka afterlife, aka heaven... ;)
the religions can all be related with each others, they all have metaphores for heaven and hell, and things like that!

your idea is really good, but in a contest different from legend, and it would be great if lara could return to egipt once more... i really would love to go again into egipt and having the great puzzles there and etc...

Earthcane
10-09-07, 19:09
"the field of reeds is the place where the pharaoh should be when he died, aka afterlife, aka heaven... "

I like to think that the whole idea of the "afterlife" is different in each culture, ie. a different place for each.

The vikings had Valhalla, the Greco-Romans had Hades, etc. Each different "paradise" would reflect the culture that it facilitates.

I imagine Valhalla as one long, never-ending beach, peppered with skeletons and splintered viking shipwrecks. ( what Davy Jones Locker should have been in PotC3!)

I imagine Hades as a place similar to hell, but with huge pillars and temples in the Doric style of architecture everywhere. Or, a place similar to the Land of the Dead in Phillip Pullman's Amber Spyglass ;)

danitiwa
10-09-07, 19:17
Hmm yeah Dak: I think you're right.
God I adore Mythology, I used to play AOM. It was an awesome game until I lost it somewhere.

Another of my absolute favourites is the Nephilim myth, but I'd say around 95% of TR fans already know the basics of that one ;)
*sigh* Chris, you and I are so alike. :D :vlol:

Dakaruch
10-09-07, 19:22
"the field of reeds is the place where the pharaoh should be when he died, aka afterlife, aka heaven... "

I like to think that the whole idea of the "afterlife" is different in each culture, ie. a different place for each.

The vikings had Valhalla, the Greco-Romans had Hades, etc. Each different "paradise" would reflect the culture that it facilitates.

I imagine Valhalla as one long, never-ending beach, peppered with skeletons and splintered viking shipwrecks. ( what Davy Jones Locker should have been in PotC3!)

I imagine Hades as a place similar to hell, but with huge pillars and temples in the Doric style of architecture everywhere. Or, a place similar to the Land of the Dead in Phillip Pullman's Amber Spyglass ;)

i always imagined valhalla as a huge field of battle, but without no one battling... all the vikings there, with their huge axes and armors, but just there having a great time... drinking beer or the thing they drink... i guess it is something else... i imagine hades as a huge never-ending river, with an harbor and those temples like you said... and don't forget cerberus, the infernal three headed dog! eyes open sleeping, eyes closed awake :D

now a fact from Egiptian Culture... did you knew that beer was invented in Egipt? yes that's right, the higher classes drunk beer in their meals, and it was considered a sign of culture, stature and wealth... beer was originally made by them when they discovered that if they brewed barley grains, it make a delicious drink... and the game senet, all the senet players drinked beer, once again because ot was a sign of culture to drink beer... ;)

Dakaruch
10-09-07, 21:05
more pics of Egipt, related to mythology:

Sphinx:
http://www.hranajanto.com/goddessgallery/pgfx/sphinx-400.jpg

The Great Pyramids, suposed to be built by alien folks(:vlol:) and related with the alignment of the planets, with the geographical north and other stuff
http://staffwww.fullcoll.edu/ewittman/images/pyramids%20at%20giza.jpg

The Eye of Horus, that some of you might know from TR4...
http://www.fromcairo.com/images/eyeofhorusblack.jpg

Rivendell
10-09-07, 21:06
*sigh* Chris, you and I are so alike. :D :vlol:

Groan, age 5 years and marry me already will you? :p

Earthcane
10-09-07, 21:09
i always imagined valhalla as a huge field of battle, but without no one battling... all the vikings there, with their huge axes and armors, but just there having a great time... drinking beer or the thing they drink... i guess it is something else... i imagine hades as a huge never-ending river, with an harbor and those temples like you said... and don't forget cerberus, the infernal three headed dog! eyes open sleeping, eyes closed awake :D

now a fact from Egiptian Culture... did you knew that beer was invented in Egipt? yes that's right, the higher classes drunk beer in their meals, and it was considered a sign of culture, stature and wealth... beer was originally made by them when they discovered that if they brewed barley grains, it make a delicious drink... and the game senet, all the senet players drinked beer, once again because ot was a sign of culture to drink beer... ;)
I thot beer originated in the far east. wrong then.
About your "Hades-river" concept, yeah, thats pretty realistic.
The Styx, Avernus, and other such lakes and rivers were thot to be entrances to the land of the dead. Remember Charon the Ferryman? I loved the way people put a coin in the mouth or on the eyelids of the dead person to pay him for the journey across to Hades.
Charon is my favourite myth.

Dakaruch
10-09-07, 21:16
I thot beer originated in the far east. wrong then.
The Styx, Avernus, and other such lakes and rivers were thot to be entrances to the land of the dead. Remember Charon the Ferryman? I loved the way people put a coin in the mouth or on the eyelids of the dead person to pay him for the journey across to Hades.
Charon is my favourite myth.

oh that myth is really good, one of my favourite... the whole coin idea is superb... although i have more knowledge in the egiptian stuff... i love egipt and everything it represents! the whole magic and mistery around it... i love that stuff!
about the beer, i don't know if it was the folks from far east who started it, but i am sure that it was egiptian who made beer as we know it today... sort of... and i think that it is rather impossible that have been far east folks, because the egiptians were one of the first real highly developed cultures in the world and they were the first ones to create schools and libraries!
tomorrow i will post some myths from portugal, some involve moures(? i don't know how to say it in english, so i will need to find on the dictionary XD)
;)

Myreth
10-09-07, 21:28
What a great topic, I just love myths, especially the Greek ones. I remember a couple of years ago that the only books I would read were about Greek myths :cln:.
I really liked the stories about the creation, from chaos to the reign of Zeus and the gods most people know.

I also really love stories about Athena and I was happy to see lots of statues of her in Lara's new mansion, and there's also the picture in the library that depicts her birth from Zeus's head.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/meqk/atenanastere560-550BC.jpg

Dakaruch
11-09-07, 15:50
cool pic Myreth, i never heard of that myth, could you spend some time and post it here? please?

Necromanser
11-09-07, 16:00
This is one of my favourite myths from my country:

I just love the pure fantasy that oozes from the tale.. Magic, transfiguration, sorcerers, witches, complicated ways in which to kill seemingly immortal beings.. :D :cln: :yah: :jmp:

Another really cool myth is the Russian myth "Koschei the Deathless".

koschei the deathless is not a myth its russian folklore or as russians call it skazka you can ask esconder if youy dont believe me:)

Dakaruch
11-09-07, 16:07
koschei the deatless is not a myth its russian folklore or as russians call it skazka you can ask esconder if youy dont believe me:o couldnt

can you tell it?

Necromanser
11-09-07, 16:08
Ill have to dig up my oldstory books ill post it in about 20 mins

danitiwa
11-09-07, 16:10
Groan, age 5 years and marry me already will you? :p

:vlol: :vlol: Will do. But promise to hire me as your agent when you're a famous director. Deal? :p

Necromanser
11-09-07, 16:24
heres the koschei tale i used google translate cause the whole text was 12 pages heres a short version

some kingdom, in a state Gil was king; here the king had three sons, all of whom were age. Suddenly their mother claimed Koschey Bessmertny. Senior son, and ask his father to seek blagoslovenya mother. Father blessed; He went missing and unaccounted for. Average son pozhdal- pozhdal, otprosilsya a father, and also went unaccounted gone. Younger son, Ivan Tsarevich, the father said: "Father! Blagoslovlyay my mother go. " The father did not go, said: "Those no brothers, and you leave: I kruchiny die!" "No, dear, blessings, and blessings go-go." Father blessed.

Ivan Tsarevich went choose their horse: who puts their hand, he falls; Never able to choose a horse, goes to the city, agency head. Kiro has taken old, asked: "What Ivan Tsarevich, agency head?" "Uydi, old! On hand put another prishlepnu - mokrenko will. " Old obezhala other Pereulok, is once again meet, said: "Hello, Ivan Tsarevich. As agency head? " He thinks: "What old asked me? Not whether it is me? " And she said: "Here, a grandmother, I can not find a good horse." "Durashka, muchish- is, and will not old! answers old. - Come with me. " It led to the Mount, said the place: "Skapyvay this land." Ivan Tsarevich Skopal, sees iron plaque on the twelve locks; He locks immediately thwarted and doors otvoril, went underground; There is bound to twelve chain Oduvanchik knight; He showed uslyhal travel alone, zarzhal, zabilsya, all 12 circuits broken . Ivan Tsarevich put a powerful armors, put on the horse bridle, saddle cherkasskoe, has old money, and said: "Blagoslovlyay and farewell, grandmother!" Sam sat back and went.

Long gone, finally arriving to the mountain; Prebolypuschaya mountain, cool to enter her no. Here, and his brothers-riding near Mount; Greeted go together. Travel to cast stones at a hundred and fifty tons, the stone inscription: "Who is this stone cast at the Mount, and progress will be made." Senior brothers could not raise the stone, and Ivan Tsarevich with one stroke sent to Stone Mountain, and now in Mount revenue ladder. He left the horse, squeezed in a glass of mizintsa blood brothers cast and said: "If a glass of blood pocherneet not wait me - I died!" Prostilsya and went. Went to Mount - which he failed nasmotrelsya! All forests here, no berries, no birds!

Long walked Ivan Tsarevich, reached at home: a huge house! It lived tsarist daughter, also saw its Koschey Bessmertny. Ivan Tsarevich range fence runs, and the doors could not see. Tsar's daughter saw the man, went to his balcony and crying: "There, see, there are gaps in the fence, it mizintsem Touch-and-door. And felt. Ivan Tsarevich entered the house. Gideon took him, and asked napoila- fed. He told her that the mother had saved from Koscheya Bessmertnogo. Gideon said it is: "It is difficult to save the mother, Ivan Tsarevich. He immortal, it will kill you. To me, he often travels; He won the sword of 500 tons, raise it be? Then go! " Ivan Tsarevich not only raised the sword-even threw Above; Itself goes further.

rihodit to another house, the door knows how to look; entered the house and then his mother; feet, poplakali. He and his forces are experienced, threw a ball in a half thousand tons! Time is Koscheyu be immortal; His mother has hidden. Suddenly Koschey Bessmertny is in the house and said: "Fu Fu! Russian kostki slyhom not frogs, as nothing but Russian Kosztka himself came to the yard! Who you been? No son did? " "What do you, God with you! Flying to Russia itself, nahvatalsya Russian spirit, and mereschitsya you, "replied the mother Ivana- Prince, and the closer to the sweet words to Koscheyu Bessmertnomu, vysprashivaet is another and said:" Where is the you death Koschey Bessmertny? " "I have a death," he says, "in a liability position: there is oak, under the oak box, the box hare, the hare duck, the duck eggs, the eggs my death." It said Koschey Bessmertny, walk a little and left.

The time-Ivan Tsarevich blagoslovilsya the mother and went to seek the death Koscheya Bessmertnogo. There is a long road, not pival not edal, wants there to death and think who would be caught ... Teen Suddenly he wants to kill him. Sotnikov of dozens she-wolf and said: "Do not Touch my brainchild, I prigozhus you." "Be well!" Ivan Tsarevich released volchonka, goes further - saw walking. "Posts-think - I am zakushu!" Loaded gun, wants to shoot, Crow and said: "Do not Touch me, I prigozhus you." Ivan Tsarevich thought and released walking. There is more; Goes to Sea, focused on the bank. At that time, suddenly vzmetnulsya schuchonok and fell to the Bank; He grabbed him there wants to death, thinking: "Here now stop!" Kiro take pike, said: "Not Touch, Ivan Tsarevich, my brainchild, I prigozhus you." He and schuchonka released.

As a sea? Sitting on the bank thinks so, a pike as if it learned Duma, formed across the sea, and he passed on it, as the bridge; Reach oak, which was death Koscheya Bessmertnogo, Dostal box otvoril-hare Sotnikov and ran. Where is keeping hare! Ivan Tsarevich took fright that released hare, prizadumalsya and Wolf, he is not killed, actually for the hare, and is caught by Ivanu- Prince. He delighted, grabbed hare, located him and somehow orobel and duck vyporhnula and flew. He shot, shot-pass! Laughter again. Kiro has taken Crow with voronyatami-and the duck; Caught duck, has Ivanu- Prince. Tsarevich appointment, Dostal eggs; Go, comes to the sea, was washed morning and dropped into the water. How to get out of the sea? Deep joy! Zakruchinilsya again Tsarevich, suddenly vstrepenulos-and sea pike brought him eggs, and then formed across the sea. Ivan Tsarevich passed it by the sea and went to the mother; Accordingly, greeted, and again it hidden.

Arriving Koschey Bessmertny and said: "Fu Fu! Russian kostki slyhom not frogs, as not mind, and here is Russia! " "What you Koschey? I have no no, "answered the mother Ivana- Prince. Koschei and said: "I have something wrong!" (A Ivan Tsarevich shook night: Koscheya Bessmertnogo of korobilo.) Finally Ivan Tsarevich out shows eggs and said; "Here, Koschey Bessmertny, your death!" It knees in front of him and said: "Not me Bay, Ivan Tsarevich, will live voice; We have the whole world will be conquered. " Ivan Tsarevich obolstilsya not his words, razdavil night - and Koschey Bessmertny died.

zyali they Ivan Tsarevich mother that was needed, made the rodimu side. En route went for the tsarist daughter, which Ivan Tsarevich visitor, and took her away. Send more; Reach the mountains, where the brothers Ivana- Prince waiting. Gideon said: "Ivan Tsarevich. Vorotis me in the house: I forgot to dress wedding dress, diamond ring and ne****ye bashmaki. " Meanwhile, he lowered from the mountain mother and daughter tsar, in which they agreed picturesque homes; The brothers have taken them so cut and run to Ivanu- Prince was not down; Mother and girl threats persuaded that the house about Ivana- Prince skazyvali not. Gains in her kingdom; Father delighted children and wife, just grieved about Ivane- Prince.

And Ivan Tsarevich came to the house and took his bride engagement ring, wedding dress and dress ne****ye bashmaki. Here comes to grief, with hands thrust into the hands ring, and was unmarried 12, asked: "What prikazhete?" "Spustite me is that the mountain." Well done immediately pulled him. Ivan Tsarevich put ring - they did not. He went to her kingdom, comes in a city where his father lived and the brothers stopped at the same old, and asked: "What grandmother, in your new kingdom?" "Yes what dityatko! This is our Queen was in captivity by the Koscheya Bessmertnogo; looking for her three sons, and two were vorotilis, and the third, Ivana- Prince, and there did not know where. King kruchinitsya about it. Those tsarevichi mother tsar brought daughter, and the senior wants to marry her, so it sends its first leaving it for obruchalnym rings or Jesus make such a ring, what it needs; certainly cry though, so no one vyiskivaetsya. " "Stupay, a grandmother, say King, what you do, and I posoblyu" says Ivan Tsarevich.

taruha came to the king and said: "Your Majesty tsarist! engagement ring, I do. " "Do, do, grandmother! We welcome such people, "said the king, and if not done, the head of plahu." Perepugalas old, came home, forcing Ivana- Prince to ring, and Ivan Tsarevich sleeps little thought-persten- is ready! He jokes of old, and old joggled all, crying, insults him: "Here you are," said - highest in the party, and me, dûr, summed up by death. " Wept, and wept old man. And Ivan Tsarevich stood alone early and waking old: "Vstavay, grandmother, so back, bear ring, so see: more than one chervontsa for not taking. When asked who made the ring, saying: myself, I do not tell! " Obradovalas old, demolished ring; Like a bride. "This says, and it must be!" She made a full platter of gold, but it took only one chervonets. King said: "What grandmother, few have?" "At that multi me what your Tsarist Majesty! When you need me, So. " Said this old and went.

It has been some time-to nosyatsya that the bride sends groom for the wedding dress, or dress that Jesus goes as it should. Old and there has been a (Ivan Tsarevich helped), demolished dress wedding dress. After demolished ne****ye bashmaki and history took one and skazyvala: these things is doing. People hear that the king of ideas that wedding day; And waiting for the day. And Ivan Tsarevich old told: "Look, grandmother of the bride to bring under the crown, you say to me." Do not miss the old times, Ivan Tsarevich immediately got in tsarist dress goes: "Here, a grandmother, which I am!" Old him in the legs: "Father, forgive, I curse you!" "God forgive!" Here comes the church, and his brother had not yet been made. He was in several of the bride, and their obvenchali behaved Palace. And on the road coming groom-older brother; Brimming that. Bride lead with Ivanom- Prince, and the shame back!

Father pleased Ivanu- Prince, learned of malice and brothers, as otpirovali wedding, senior sons sent into exile, and Ivana- Prince made heir.

danitiwa
11-09-07, 16:27
I hope we do more mythology at school soon, :pi: I've been waiting all my life, and all we've gotten to do is Geography and History.

Since I'm a Swede I should know a bit of Norse mythology, but I really don't! :yik: I know the basics; like about Odin, Loki, Thor, etc. Vallhala, Rasgard, and I know Swedish Vikings weren't very violent, it was more the Norwegian ones... Or at least that's how I remember it. :confused:

Dakaruch
11-09-07, 16:43
I hope we do more mythology at school soon, :pi: I've been waiting all my life, and all we've gotten to do is Geography and History.

Since I'm a Swede I should know a bit of Norse mythology, but I really don't! :yik: I know the basics; like about Odin, Loki, Thor, etc. Vallhala, Rasgard, and I know Swedish Vikings weren't very violent, it was more the Norwegian ones... Or at least that's how I remember it. :confused:

yes i think your right, the Norwegian vikings were the ones who liked to rampage and pillage everything, they always wanted valuable stuff and such, and they really liked to rape women and take them as slaves as far as i remember... i really don't know much about Norse mythology, do you want to tell one of the myths, or do i need to go to Wiki? XD

Rivendell
11-09-07, 16:49
Thanks for the folklore about Koschei, I'll give that a read :tmb:

The Styx, Avernus, and other such lakes and rivers were thot to be entrances to the land of the dead.

The river Styx and Acheron (among others connected to the Underworld), that always fascinated me when I was little.

A few years back I actually got a chance to wade down the River Acheron on a tour group.

Beautiful place (http://www.bacoli.gr/photo/pict27l.jpg), but I've never subjected myself to that kind of pain before.

It's seriously the coldest thing I've ever experienced, it hurt like hell. (Cold as death may be a relevant quote!) It was like having multiple icicles pushed and pierced through your feet/legs at once, over and over again.

Needless to say, I couldn't hack it for very long.

danitiwa
11-09-07, 17:01
/\
It looks beautiful though! :yik: But from what I just heard I wouldn't cross it. :p

And I've been meaning to ask: Cerberi, how many was there again? Two wasn't it? :confused:

Dakaruch
11-09-07, 17:01
The river Styx and Acheron (among others connected to the Underworld), that always fascinated me when I was little.

A few years back I actually got a chance to wade down the River Acheron on a tour group.

Beautiful place (http://www.bacoli.gr/photo/pict27l.jpg), but I've never subjected myself to that kind of pain before.

It's seriously the coldest thing I've ever experienced, it hurt like hell. (Cold as death may be a relevant quote!) It was like having multiple icicles pushed and pierced through your feet/legs at once, over and over again.

Needless to say, I couldn't hack it for very long.

you should come to Portugal and to some of our beaches... some have the water as cold as you explained, you really can't be there many time and it hurts like hell :mis:
and well it also makes something to get really small if you know what i mean:vlol:
the whole concept of death in various mythologies is interesting, if you go to egiptian mythology, they have the whole concept of the saving the body to the afterlife and such... it is cool... ;)

dani if you're asking about CERBERUS XD it had two or three heads, i really don't remeber now... :D

danitiwa
11-09-07, 17:02
yes i think your right, the Norwegian vikings were the ones who liked to rampage and pillage everything, they always wanted valuable stuff and such, and they really liked to rape women and take them as slaves as far as i remember... i really don't know much about Norse mythology, do you want to tell one of the myths, or do i need to go to Wiki? XD

Wiki is your frieeend.... http://www.emofaces.com/en/smilies/h/hypnotized-smile.gif

Necromanser
11-09-07, 17:07
here are some norse myths and legends

According to the old tales a man with the name of Gylfe, king of Svithiod, once entered the home of the gods and there he was told how the world begun. He met with three beings which had the names: Hцg (High), Tredje (Third) and jдmnhцg (Even Height or something like that ;-).
They told him how the world had been created and how everything was done. In the beginning there was the abyss (Ginnungagapet), North of this there was Nifelheim, the world of cold where Cold and Darkness rules. Frosty mists rose from the cold well of Hvergelmer. In the south there was the hot Muspelheim, a place where the being Surte ruled with a flaming sword. The mists from Hvergelmer formed the frozen stream of Elivеgor which flowed in to the Ginnungagap and filled it with ice. But at the same time flares from Muspelheim fell into the abyss and the falling drops which became the result of the mix of flares and ice formed two giant beings: A cow with the name 'Audhumbla' and a giant named 'Ymer'. Ymer got his food from the cow by means of four mouths which he used to milk the cows four nipples. Audhumbla in turn lived on the white frost ont the rocks.

Her warm breath created a man called Bure wich by some mysterious way managed to get hold of a wife (it is not described how) and they where the first of the Asa dynasty of which Oden, Vile and Ve would be the greatest.

Ymer on his side created several different creatures. From his left arm a lovely couple sprung, from which the three fates Urd, Verdandi, Skuld (Guilt) and the wise Mimer came. His feet on the other hand created a three headed monster wich became the ancestor of the Rimtusarnas evil giant family.

Oden, wich destiny had choosen to become the one who would fullfill the creation, killed the giant Ymer (with help from his two brothers) and used his body as a ground for the new world. His blood became the sea (Where all the Rimtusarnas but one drowned). His skull became the sky. The bones in his sceleton became mountains, his brain the clouds and his tissues was grinded in the great mill 'Grottekvarnen', around whose main axis the universe turned, to become the dirt. The mill was driven by the giantesses Fenja and Menja. Ymers Eyebrows became a wall against the inhabitable surroundings. This new world was called Midgеrd.

The world down under was divided into three kingdoms each one with its own well. Hvergelmer, Mimers well and Urda well.From the Ginnungagap a large ash with the name 'Ygdrasil' grow. The branches of Ygdrasil covered all the then known world.In Hvergelmer the dragon Nidh”g lies and gnaws on the rots of the tree. Mimers well on the other hand is the well of wisedom, guarded by Mimer, Oden once gave his right eye for a drink of the water in this well.

At Urdawell which is guarded by the three fates the gods have their conferences each day. They ride daily over the bridge Bifrost, a bridge which shimmers in all the colours of the rainbow and is watched by the god Heimdal (also called Rig), nine mothers and nine sisters son and beholder of Gjallarhornet which is nordic tales last trump . Heimdal sleeps lighter than the bird, sees one hundred traveldays in each direction from his castle Himinbjorg and has such sharp hearing that he can hear the grass and the wool grow.

Once when Oden and his brothers where out taking a walk at the shore of the sea in Midgеrd, he found two Sceptring (?) trees with the names Ask and Embla. They set them free from the earth and gave them blood, power of motion, intelligence, will, fantasy and spirit. They where formed after their own appearence. From this couple the whole humanity evolved. The fate Urd gives every human a being called Fylgia at birth . This being are to follow her throughout his/her life.

Odens wife is called Frigg, and his sons ar called Tor and Balder. Tor is the strongest of the gods and is allways in war with the giants. He is armed with his 'strength belt' Megingjord and the hammer 'Mjцlner' which like a boomerang allways return to his hand after a throw. He is travelling through space in a wagon which is pulled by the goats 'Tandgniostr' and 'Tandgrisner'. About his fights with the giants there is a lot of fascinating stories which have the character of folklore tales and which most certainly never have been accepted by the believing. As the god of thunder he enjoyed respectfull worshiping from the believers which can be proved by among other things the surviving names on villages (Thorsvik) and in other words like 'tordцn' (The sound of lightning), torsdag (Thursday).

Balder on the other hand was the god of battle but got some of the characteristics of christ when the christian faith became known in the nordic countries. There is no certain proof that he really was the focus for some serious worshipping. Any way, the story about Balder is rather fascinating. In Snorre Sturlassons Edda he was portraied as Balder the kind. He was residing in his stronghold Breidablick. He was the kindest and the justest (?) of the gods. He was therefore loved of all the living beings in the world. Therefore his mother took a promise from all the living not to hurt him and cause of this Balder was invunerable. The gods therefore used him for target pracitizing, the arrows they used just bounced of him. But there where one plant which his mother had forgotten to ask and that was the misteltoe. One of the creatures in the 'inner circle' around the gods was the devious Loke (who really was of a giant family allthough he had been taken up by the gods) who when he realized the mistake made by Balders mother, quickly made an arrow of the misteltoe and instructed Balders blind brother, Hцder, to shot it in a certain direction. The arrow hit Balder and he was promptly killed. The following story reminds a bit of the greek story where 'Persefone' and 'Prometheus' get's in more or less the same situation. The chocked gods tried to get Balder back from the kingddom of death. But failed due to the sly Loke which had disguised himself as an old woman with the name Tцck. Loke got his punishment, he was caught in the river when he was trying to escape in the shape as a salmon. He was chained with his sons (Nares) Bowels to a rock just under a jut where a viper constantly drips his venom on the poor fellows face. Sigyn, his belowed, stays with him and tries to ease the pain by collecting the venom in a bowl but when the bowl is full and she i away to empty it Loke gets the poison in his face and he trembles in his agony, and with him the rest of the world.

Some of the creatures which stems from Loke is Fenrisulven and Midgеrdsormen. Midgеrdsormen was thrown in to the sea where he growed rapidly so that he eventually encircled the earth and bit himself in the tail. Fenrisulven on the other hand was adopted by the gods (which proved to be a big mistake). The playful puppy soon growed into a monster which strength and hostility threatened the other gods. Therefore they tried to bind him with a chain (with name Gleipner) made of iron which he promptly ripped apart. They made a new leash made of, among other things, the beard from women, the roots of the mountains, the sound of steps from a cat, the spitt from the bird and other equally rare materials. This very soft and thin rope was shown to Fenrisulven and he was offered to rip it apart. Fenrisulven, which suspeceted foul play, was rather reluctant to take the offer. Only when the god Tyr put his hand in to his mouth did he allow the rope to be pulled over the head. When he found out that he was tricked he thus in anger bit the hand of Tyr and thats the story behind Tyrs:s lost right hand...

There are other gods in the family, Like Brage (The god with the long beard) which sits at home in his fathers stronghold and uses his time to drink beer and write poems. There is 'Forsete', son of Balder, who is the god of justice and lives in the heavenly hall Glitner. The silent Vidar which rules over the lower regions where the last battle will be held.

Njord, son of a allegory daughter to Mimer with the name Natt (Night) and brother to Odens wife Frigg, belongs to a different breed called vanerna and is in the beginning in Asgеrd as hostage. He is the god of richeness and the protector of sailors. He commands the weather. His wife the skiing Skade is born in the mountains. Therefore she doesn't like beeing in Njords Stronghold 'Noatun' as she can't stand the screaming of the sea gulls. On the other hand Njord can't stand the howling from the wolfs in Skades mountains. Therefore they are living separately. Njords son is named Frej (or frц), and he rules over the fertility on earth. Frц:s sister, Freja (or Frцja) which resides in the castle Folkvang, most fittingly rules over love.

These brothers and sisters have rather complicated marriage relations. But Frejas husband seems to be Svipdag or Hermod while Frej after some persuasion managed to get a fair looking giantess with the name Gerd.

Of the dynasty of the vanerna was furthermore Nanna, which became wife to Balder (she got a chrushed heart when he was killed).

Other gods and godesses comes from the dynasty of elfs which in turn can be divided in to black elfs and light elfs. Only the light elfs are of any importance in this matter.

To this dynasty belongs, among other, the fairheaded Siv, wife of Tor in the wooden castle Bilskirnir (the greatest of all timebered houses) int the land of Trudvang. They had sons with the name of: Magne and Mode. Idun, wife of Brage, which made the wonderfull apples which gave the gods their eternal youth. Ivalde, which in the beginning of time was the guardian against the Rumtusarerna at Elivеgor. He had a son , Valand (or as he also was called: Limping Valand or Vцland), which was a blacksmith an whom one of the sadest edda stories is about. The seagod Дgir which is related to the giants but neveretheless has good relations to the gods and his wife the unfaithfull Ran which brings unhappiness to the humans.

To the gods one also counts, Billing and Delling, which is the morning glow and the sunset. The young maid Geifon, the litterary Saga which guards the mead of wisdom which comes from the river of Sцkvabдck and fills the horn of the moon.

Necromanser
12-09-07, 08:11
some mythical creature descriptions

cerberus-a giant 3 heade dog that guard the realm of hades
boatman on the river styx-you have to pay him two coins for passage on the river styx to the underworld thats why the ancient greeks put one coin on each eye of their dead
harpy-a half woman half eagle creature that usually savaged unweary travellers in the jungle
cyclops-a one eyed giant usually man eating that was 15-20 metres tall some cyclopses were used as gurards by ancient kings to protect their treasures in eschange that they give them fresh meat every day
ammit-an egyptian myth creature that ate the people who lied to anubis it had the head of a crocodile and the body of a lion
demons-the servants of the devil that ussualy posessed people to make them do their bidding
hydra-a giant dragon with the head of a snake it cannot be but if you bury the main head under a boulder it will die but if you sever its head more will grow
thats all I can remember

Rivendell
12-09-07, 09:34
And I've been meaning to ask: Cerberi, how many was there again? Two wasn't it? :confused:

I've only ever read about there being one Cerberus.

Myreth
12-09-07, 10:59
cool pic Myreth, i never heard of that myth, could you spend some time and post it here? please?

Sure thing:

The story says that Zeus first married Metis (the daughter of the titan Oceanus) because she helped him free his siblings from their father Kronos (he ate them because an oracle foresaw that one of his children will take his throne).
Not a pleasant site:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/meqk/1cronos-1.jpg

But it had also been prophesied that Metis would bear children more powerful than even Zeus himself. And because Zeus feared to suffer the same fate as his father, he swallowed his wife. But Metis had already conceived a child.

When it came time, Zeus was in great pain and after a god (sometimes depicted as Hephaestus, tho I remember he has born after Athena :confused:) cleaved Zeus's head with the double-headed axe, Athena leaped from Zeus's head, fully grown and fully armed.

She became one of the most important gods of Olympus (right after Zeus) and became the patron deity of Athens after competing with Poseidon.

Dakaruch
12-09-07, 11:04
Sure thing:

But it had also been prophesied that Metis would bear children more powerful than even Zeus himself. And because Zeus feared to suffer the same fate as his father, he swallowed his wife. But Metis had already conceived a child.

When it came time, Zeus was in great pain and after a god (sometimes depicted as Hephaestus, tho I remember he has born after Athena :confused:) cleaved Zeus's head with the double-headed axe, Athena leaped from Zeus's head, fully grown and fully armed.

this is the part i didn't knew... thanks ;)
well certailnly it was not hephaestus... i guess, hephaestus was the god of fire, and he was the one who made the lightnings for zeus if i'm not mistaken...
i don't remember of him having an axe... strange! thanks for sharing

Myreth
12-09-07, 11:17
well certailnly it was not hephaestus... i guess, hephaestus was the god of fire, and he was the one who made the lightnings for zeus if i'm not mistaken...
i don't remember of him having an axe... strange! thanks for sharing

Actually Hephaestus was the god of technology, blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals and metallurgy, and fire :cln:.

But there are many errors in mythology because there are multiple stories for just one event.

Dakaruch
12-09-07, 11:19
Actually Hephaestus was the god of technology, blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals and metallurgy, and fire :cln:.

But there are many errors in mythology because there are multiple stories for just one event.

yeah, i knew that, but i just wanted to make it shorter :vlol:
well yeah the mythology stuff seems to have lots of stories for the same thing...

danitiwa
12-09-07, 11:38
I've only ever read about there being one Cerberus.

Hmm yeah, don't know where I heard there was too. :p

Rivendell
12-09-07, 11:39
Was the second one called Fluffy? :whi:

Delakandak
12-09-07, 11:43
Check this out...Shintoism...
It says..In Shintoism, the Kappa are a type of water imp and are considered to be one of many suijin (literally "water-deity").
Here is the Kappa..http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Kappa_jap_myth.jpg

danitiwa
12-09-07, 12:28
Was the second one called Fluffy? :whi:

:vlol: There you go, HP is everywhere!! :yik:

Dakaruch
12-09-07, 13:34
Check this out...Shintoism...
It says..In Shintoism, the Kappa are a type of water imp and are considered to be one of many suijin (literally "water-deity").
Here is the Kappa..http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Kappa_jap_myth.jpg

oh yeah, i once heard about kappa... they were some sort of anfibian... ;)

la-la-lara
12-09-07, 16:48
Hey again Guys. Time to set the ball rolling.

Greek Mythology is a great place to start as it is easy to identify with.

So, here goes. Anyone ever hear of a tiny, insignficant thing called Homer's Odysssey?
(Hee Hee.) Havent read it, but I know th general story.

Odysseus was the son of Laertes, Ruler of Ithica. In the 10 years following the Fall of Troy, he became reknowned for his incredible bravery and cunning. On his varied adventures and mis-adventures, he encounterd many strange persons, became embroiled in near-death experiences, and enven went as far as angering the Gods.

Earliest accounts of Odysseus note his visit to the land of the Lotophagi, the Lotus eaters.
Some time later, he was shipwrecked on a desolate island in the middle of the sea. Here, he encountered the dreaded Cyclops, Polyphemus. Only after 6 of his companions had been eaten by the giant Cannibal, he succeeded in escaping the monster by stabbing him in the eye.

On another adventure, Odysseus discovered a mysterious floating island in the sky, home of Aeolus, Keeper of the Winds. He agreed to give Odysseus a bag containing the winds which would take him home. That nite when he was sleeping, his crew untwittingly opened the bag, and the winds blew them out to sea once again.

Next, he arrived on the island of Circe, who transformed his crew into pigs.

Odysseus also journeyed to Hades where he met Tiresias, who showed him the souls of all the dead. For his killing of Polyphemus, he was instructed to sacrifice to Poseidon.
Unwittingly, he was sent to the island of the Sirens, beautiful enchantresses bathing on the rocks, who lured some of the sailors to their deaths.

On another journey, Odysseus killed some cattle for food which angered Zeus, who ownd them. He struck his ship with lightning bolts and Odysseus was once again shipwrecked. Here he met the alluring Nymph Calypso, who imprisoned the hero for 7 years.

Well, those are my fave parts of the story.
It would be really cool to see Aeolus in TR, or even a cyclops like Polyphemus.
More stuff on Greek monsters, the Gods, The Punished, and Artemis coming Soon!

I read your post kinda late, but you should know that we are taught this poem in every detail in the first class of junior high school. It would be a nice idea for the storyline in future TR games.

la-la-lara
12-09-07, 16:55
My favourite myth is the story of Orpheus. Have you heard of it? I'll post it tomorrow. Besides, I also have to check out what his name is in English.

Dakaruch
12-09-07, 16:55
I read your post kinda late, but you should know that we are taught this poem in every detail in the first class of junior high school. It would be a nice idea for the storyline in future TR games.

in here we learn that story in 5th grade, our school goes from 1st to 12th grade, plus university... i'm portuguese btw... aren't you greek? perhaps you could post a myth or two... please? :D

la-la-lara
12-09-07, 16:57
in here we learn that story in 5th grade, our school goes from 1st to 12th grade, plus university... i'm portuguese btw... aren't you greek? perhaps you could post a myth or two... please? :D

Yes of course, just be patient until tomorrow, ok? C y all!

Dakaruch
12-09-07, 17:05
Yes of course, just be patient until tomorrow, ok? C y all!

ok thankies, i saw your other post too late :o
bu bye:wve:

remote91
12-09-07, 17:08
love Myths and legends! They give me goosebumps :D I remember in primary school we were going to watch a special show called Myths and legends at some big theatre, turns out our teachers lied to us and it was actually Maths and legends :mad: I was not pleased.

Earthcane
12-09-07, 19:03
Hey guys, I'm back. Was house-hunting for student accomodation in Dublin. Take my word for it, its a nightmare ;).

Well, heres some more pics ( especially for Dakaruch, I know you love the Egyptian stuff!)

Heres some pics of Anubis:

http://i13.************/63w3te0.jpg

http://i3.************/6312ckj.jpg

http://i17.************/639ajrc.jpg

Here's Isis:

http://i6.************/6atu7gy.jpg

Will be posting some more stuff soon, expect to see some more Greek, and especially some of my own Irish Mythology which includes Balor and the Fomors.

Dakaruch
12-09-07, 20:24
the first one of Anubis is just how i imagine egiptian hell...
thanks! :)
and call me Dak

Earthcane
12-09-07, 20:41
Okie-dokie, Dak! ;)

For those who love the Medusa myth, feast your eyes on these ( the second one
is really original IMO) :

http://i3.************/5250kfr.jpg

http://i14.************/2le44jr.jpg

Anyone ever read Macbeth?? Heres a pic of Hecate, the Witch-Queen:

http://i13.************/521cn4o.jpg

Now for some non-Greek mythology. Ive always been obsessed with the Unicorn:

http://i19.************/6c2t8d4.jpg

http://i16.************/4ly23c1.jpg

Dakaruch
12-09-07, 21:02
well the unicorn is a creature that fascinates almost everyone!
i also like elven stuff and things like that

la-la-lara
13-09-07, 10:09
Even though it doesn't define Greece, I present a myth of ancient Greece, which I like. The love story of Orpheus and Evridiki (claps):
Orpheus was a musician in ancient Greece. Since his early childhood he played the lyre so magnificently that he enchanted not only humans, but also every creature around him, even the rocks. They say that Apollo himself (the god of music and light) taught him how to play.
Orpheus fell in love with Evridiki whom he married. But one day a snake bit Evridiki's leg and she died. Orpheus mourned bitterly for her loss. He was so miserable that he decided to go to the underworld Hades (the place where dead souls go, the forbidden land), in order to find his love and bring her back to life.
When Orpheus entered Hades playing his lyre, there stood a giant, terrifying guard, called Kerveros, a dog-like monster with three heads that prevented the living from entering and the dead from exiting. When Orpheus saw Kerveros he started playing his lyre so magically, that the monster fell asleep. So he managed to enter the forbidden land no problem.
When he finally reached Pluto (the god of Hades), he asked him the reason for going down there. Orpheus explained that he loved Evridiki and he desperately wanted to spend his life with her. He begged him to give his love back. Pluto, who was overwhelmed by his music, agreed, but on one condition: On the way back to earth, Evridiki would be walking behind him, so he wouldn't be able to see her. Until he walked out of Hades he shouldn't turn back and look at her, otherwise, if he did, Evridiki would stay forever with him in Hades.
Orpheus made his promise and walked towards the exit. After a while he heard the familiar, sweet voice of Evridiki behind him, they started talking and his happiness made his heart beat like crazy. When they finally reached the earth and he saw the daylight, Orpheus felt such strong desire to see his wife once again that he forgot his promise. So he turned back, he cast his eyes on her and he reached out to grab her arm, but Evridiki vanished! Pluto had taken her back to the dead, to his dark kingdom.
.......:(
Devastated and hardly believing his silliness, he went back to earth. He played his lyre. Only music could soothe his pain.
He never married again and he never saw any woman after his one love. The girls of his home, Thraki, who were overwhelmed by his music and were in love with him, hated him for that, so they killed him, cut him into pieces which they threw into the sea.
That's the story. People used to say that when you lose your fair love, Orpheus is playing with your heart strings and a sad melody comes out, which you cannot hear, but you can feel it inside and you feel devastated, just like him.:(

la-la-lara
13-09-07, 10:15
Ooops! Evridiki is Eurydice in English. Sorry for that.

Dakaruch
13-09-07, 10:16
thanks la-la-lara...
that story is so beautiful and so sad:(
:tmb:

Earthcane
13-09-07, 11:09
Yeah, i havent heard that story before. I really like it!

"When Orpheus saw Kerveros he started playing his lyre so magically, that the monster fell asleep. So he managed to enter the forbidden land no
problem."

Fluffy, anyone?? (lol).
I love Kerveros (or is it Cerberus?) I love the idea of The Guard-dog of Hades.
Anyone got any ideas as to which breed of dog he could be? I imagine him as a 3- headed Alistacian with a fiery mane. I love Alistacians- especially after my mum's one died :(

", Orpheus is playing with your heart strings and a sad melody comes out, which you cannot hear, but you can feel it inside and you feel devastated, just like him.[/COLOR]

Yeah, thats really poetic.

Dakaruch
13-09-07, 11:14
I love Kerveros (or is it Cerberus?) I love the idea of The Guard-dog of Hades.

well i think it might be Kerverus in greek, and Cerberus in english... In Portuguese language is Cerbero so...

Anyone got any ideas as to which breed of dog he could be? I imagine him as a 3- headed Alistacian with a fiery mane. I love Alistacians- especially after my mum's one died :(

i see it as a huge rotweiler... those german dogs... i don't know why, but i always imagined it that way

danitiwa
13-09-07, 11:17
i see it as a huge rotweiler... those german dogs... i don't know why, but i always imagined it that way

Ditto, like in Harry Potter:D

Has any one ever imagined a black unicorn? Or am I the only one? :cln:

Dakaruch
13-09-07, 11:20
Ditto

you fluffy lover:p

a black unicorn? hum that is an evil concept XD
now that would be cool... a black unicorn... i want one :D

Earthcane
13-09-07, 11:21
Hey guys, just posting some more mythology pics.

Heres another one of Medusa ( just cant get enough of her!lol)

http://i17.************/6b9nss5.jpg

Heres Circe:
http://i10.************/4muzj4p.jpg

Charon the Ferryman. My favorite myth. He'd make a great boss in a TR level. Hey, that gives me an idea- check out the Future TR games thread, i'll start a thread later.

http://i11.************/3y4xh1i.jpg

And last but not least, heres a pic of Lugh, Ancient Irish god of the Harvest. I'll post some stuff on Irish Mythology later, too.

http://i19.************/4vnj66f.jpg

danitiwa
13-09-07, 11:27
you fluffy lover:p

a black unicorn? hum that is an evil concept XD
now that would be cool... a black unicorn... i want one :D

With rainbow hair, but completely black, and black colored eyes... and a white horn. :cln: I are genius. XD

Age of Mythology's Loki portrait is teh best. :D
http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/15972/images/Loki.JPG

Dakaruch
13-09-07, 11:32
With rainbow hair, but completely black, and black colored eyes... and a white horn. :cln: I are genius. XD

Age of Mythology's Loki portrait is teh best. :D
http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/15972/images/Loki.JPG

well you played AoM?
AoM is so good, bad that my copy is not working anymore... time to :whi:download:whi:

yes dani, sometimes you are a little genious XD

@earthcane-Charon looks awesome in that boat, and he should be a great boss, he reminds me of Brother Obscura in AoD...

danitiwa
13-09-07, 11:36
well you played AoM?
AoM is so good, bad that my copy is not working anymore... time to :whi:download:whi:

yes dani, sometimes you are a little genious XD

I mentioned that I play AoM earlier lol. :p But yeah, it rawks... Titans is kind of stupid if you ask me though, I was expecting more. My copy became so scratched that I couldn't play anymore.

Necromanser
13-09-07, 11:36
Ditto, like in Harry Potter:D

that wouldnt be a unicorn anymore that would something like the nightmare steed from heroes of might and magic 4

danitiwa
13-09-07, 11:40
that wouldnt be a unicorn anymore that would something like the nightmare steed from heroes of might and magic 4

True, I loved those nightmares, with the flaming hair. :cln: You make me wanna play it. :jmp:
*Goes off to reinstall*

Dakaruch
13-09-07, 11:43

that reminds me of some black knights from Warcraft2... they horses were something like that, or perhaps like THE HORSES FROM HARRY POTTER, THAT ONLY COULD BE SEEN BY PEOPLE THAT SAW SOMEONE DIE :p
those guys were cool... XD

Necromanser
13-09-07, 11:44
True, I loved those nightmares, with the flaming hair. :cln: You make me wanna play it. :jmp:
*Goes off to reinstall*
off topic-they were better than unicorns mainy because of their attack and their ability to cast fear and they looked cooler

danitiwa
13-09-07, 11:44
that reminds me of some black knights from Warcraft2... they horses were something like that, or perhaps like THE HORSES FROM HARRY POTTER, THAT ONLY COULD BE SEEN BY PEOPLE THAT SAW SOMEONE DIE :p
those guys were cool... XD

Thestrals? They don't have orange hair. :p
off topic-they were better than unicorns mainy because of their attack and their ability to cast fear and they looked cooler
Yeah, I'm with you on that one mate. :D And it's still mythology, so it's not off topic.

Dakaruch
13-09-07, 11:46
Thestrals?

well yeah thestrals, and i was talking about Warcraft2, and the black knoghts ore something like that, they ride thestrals XD
super cool :cool:

Necromanser
13-09-07, 11:57
@dak-they didnt ride thestrels they rode the skeletons of horses there was a hero like that in warcraft three when yuo play for the undead zoom in and look youll see that its the skeleton of a horse

krycekuva
13-09-07, 12:02
http://www.cult.gva.es/mbav/data/0805.jpg

Necromanser
13-09-07, 12:27
http://www.cult.gva.es/mbav/data/0805.jpg
is that the boatman of the styx I thought he was hooded and was a skeleton

Dakaruch
13-09-07, 12:29
@dak-they didnt ride thestrels they rode the skeletons of horses there was a hero like that in warcraft three when yuo play for the undead zoom in and look youll see that its the skeleton of a horse

i think that in warcraft2 they are more like thestrals XD
but maybe you're right, this made me want to play Warcraft2 once more :D

la-la-lara
14-09-07, 09:03
First of all I have to say that this is a great thread, well done Earthcane. Secondly, I don't reply to your threads in time and I'm really sorry for that.
And finally this is a picture of an ancient Greek vase, showing Cerberus(Kerveros in Greek, indeed Dakaruch) as it was imagined and painted by the ancient Greeks. Ancient pottery is quite impressive to me. The man behind the monster is Hercules(Heracles in Greek), but I don't know who exactly is the unlucky man in the kettle.
http://www.utexas.edu/cources/cc302k/images/Rome_images/webrome/Caere_Cerberus.jpg

la-la-lara
14-09-07, 09:04
For some reason the picture was not posted, why?

danitiwa
14-09-07, 09:11
For some reason the picture was not posted, why?
It's a broken Link.

la-la-lara
14-09-07, 09:23
Anyway, go to www.google.com-> images-> write: Heracles and Cerberus vase-> search images and.....ta-daaaaa!!! It must be the 17th picture of the first page, where the whole vase is shown. It is taken by the site www.utexas.edu . Enjoy!

danitiwa
14-09-07, 09:25
This one?

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/ancientfilmCC304/lecture12/images/42_cerberus.jpg

la-la-lara
14-09-07, 09:27
NO! There is the monster, Hercules behind it and a man in a kettle.

danitiwa
14-09-07, 09:31
Here we are: You wrote Cources instead of Courses. :wve:

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/cc302k/images/Rome_images/webrome/Caere_Cerberus.jpg

la-la-lara
14-09-07, 09:43
Oh, sorry. Yes, this is it!

la-la-lara
14-09-07, 10:22
In addition, it is quite interesting to see that, according to myths surrounding the Greek gods, they were cold and pitiless, with a strong desire for revenge and they always punished mortals that would dare to provoke them with audacity. Here is the myth of Artemis(its Roman equivalent is Diana), the goddess of the hunting and twin sister of Apollo, and one man, Actaeon:
Artemis was once bathing with her nymphs in a vale on mount Cithaeron, when the Theban prince and hunter Actaeon stumbled across her. One version of the myth says that Actaeon, overwhelmed by her beauty and aura, hid in the bushes and spied on her as she continued to bathe. When the goddess realised his presence she got enraged. She threw a handful of water at him, thus turning him into a stag, which was pursued and killed by his own hounds. An ancient pottery artist, shows Artemis herself shooting her arrows into Actaeon(not in his deer form this time) and killing him, as opposed to just letting the hounds kill him, again differing from the myth.
http://eihdos.gridspace.net/art/a/artemis.gif

Earthcane
14-09-07, 11:24
Hey La-la -lara, yeah, its true that the gods were wrathful and spiteful.

She threw a handful of water at him, thus turning him into a stag, which was pursued and killed by his own hounds. An ancient pottery artist, shows Artemis herself shooting her arrows into Actaeon(not in his deer form this time) and killing him, as opposed to just letting the hounds kill him, again differing from the myth.

Remember the story of Prometheus?
He was the brother of Atlas and son of the Titan Iapetus. He stole fire from Mount Olympus and presented it to the primitive humans. Zeus was enraged at this and had Prometheus chained to a rock high up in the Caucasus. An Eagle feasted on his liver every day, which was renewed each nite, tormenting him.

Also, Tantalus, King of Lydia, offended the gods and was punished. He was made to stand up to his neck in water, only to be tormented by an overhanging tree-branch laden with fruit which was always blown out of his grasp.

And not to forget the almighty Atlas:

http://i8.************/5z2phsm.jpg

Earthcane
14-09-07, 12:05
My favourite Irish Myth is the Tale of Balor of the Evil Eye.
I'll just post a brief summary. Note: the tale varies a lot from source to source.

Long, long, ago, when Ireland was watched over by the Tuatha De Danann, a race of mysterious Gods and druids who were regarded as the Elders of society, Balor began his invasion.Some sources say that Balor was born into a Tuatha De Dannan family in Ireland.
When he was young, he was apprenticed to a famous druid and one fateful day he stepped too near a cauldron of boiling hot potion and was blinded in one eye.
This new eye bestowed the owner with immense power, the ability to turn anyone into stone.

He was shunned from society and was exiled on a small raft out to sea. Balor had heard stories of a monstrous race living on an island in the West Atlantic, the insidious Fomors. Some sources say that they were reptilian in appearance and were reknowned blacksmiths and warriors.

The exile Balor led the Fomor armies into a war against those who had exiled him.
The lizard-like legions laid seige to the island of Tory and it fell to them in a matter of days. Balor ruled over his domain for many years as a feared Tyrant.

Balors next plan was to invade ireland itself. But the Tuatha De Dannan had a trump card to play. Unbeknownst to Balor, an ancient prophecy spoke of his downfall at the hands of his grandson, Lugh LamhFada ( translated as " Longarm").

The Legions of Fomors and Free Irish clashed in a country-spanning battle that lasted many weeks. It was here that Balor unleashed his fury. His evil eye was so great that it took 4 slaves to open the lid, through a system of ropes and pulleys. Thousands were petrified on the spot, instantly. Finally, Lugh rose up and chalenged the God-like Balor. He shut the visor of his helmet over his eyes to shield them. Balor scoffed:
" You do not have the courage to look your enemy in the eye?"
Lugh hurled his almighty spear, crafted by the gods, in the direction where the voice had come from. It struck the pupil of the eye which shattered on impact. Pieces of the eye fell to the ground like acid rain.

The fomors fled in terror at the wrath of the Tuatha de Dannan.
Legend has it that the place where Balors tears burned into the earth is now the lake
of Loch na Suil, " the Lake of the Eye".

Well, thats the tale. Here is a pic of Balor:

http://i4.************/53rz3fa.jpg

Here is my own interpretation of what Balor would look like:

http://i8.************/6chamgi.jpg

More info can be found at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balor
Hope yuo enjoyd.

la-la-lara
14-09-07, 16:22
Of course I know the story of Promitheus. We are taught Greek mythology at school. In fact that was my favourite lesson.
It is a great myth, indeed!(the one you posted I mean)
Tantalus not only offended the gods by stealing them and breaking their guest-host relationship(he was favoured by sharing their food, but he tried to share it with other mortals too, thus arousing the ire of the gods), but he also thought that he could deceive them and make them like him by serving them in a banquet the dismembered body of his first son, thus avoiding their punishment when comitting felonies. But the gods discovered the trick, they punished Tantalus the way you said and they restored his son, Pelops, to life.

Dakaruch
15-09-07, 17:53
Battle between Horus and Seth myth

These myths generally portray Osiris as a wise king and bringer of civilization, happily married to his sister Isis. Set was his envious younger brother, and he killed and dismembered Osiris. Isis reassembled Osiris' corpse and another god (in some myths Thoth and in others Anubis) embalmed him. As the archetypal mummy, Osiris reigned over the Afterworld as judge of the dead.

Osiris' son Horus was conceived by Isis with Osiris' corpse, or in some versions, only with pieces of his corpse. Horus naturally became the enemy of Set, and many myths describe their conflicts. In some of these myths Set is portrayed as Horus' older brother rather than uncle. In one of their fights Set gouged out Horus's left eye, which represented the moon; perhaps this myth served to explain why the moon is less bright than the sun.

The myth incorporated moral lessons for relationships between fathers and sons, older and younger brothers, and husbands and wives.

Perhaps the myth also records historical events. According to the Shabaka Stone, Geb divided Egypt into two halves, giving Upper Egypt (the desert south) to Set and Lower Egypt (the region of the delta in the north) to Horus, in order to end their feud. However, according to the stone, in a later judgment Geb gave all Egypt to Horus. Interpreting this myth as a historical record would lead one to believe that Lower Egypt (Horus' land) conquered Upper Egypt (Set's land); but in fact Upper Egypt conquered Lower Egypt. So the myth cannot be simply interpreted. Several theories exist to explain the discrepancy. For instance, since both Horus and Set were worshiped in Upper Egypt prior to unification, perhaps the myth reflects a struggle within Upper Egypt prior to unification, in which a Horus-worshipping group subjected a Set-worshiping group. What is known is that during the Second Dynasty, there was a period in which the Kings name or Serekh - which had been surmounted by a Horus falcon in the First Dynasty - was for a time surmounted by a Set animal, suggesting some kind of religious struggle. It was ended at the end of the Dynasty by Khasekhemui who surmounted his Serekh with both a falcon of Horus and a Set animal, indicating some kind of compromise had been reached.

Regardless, once the two lands were united, Seth and Horus were often shown together crowning the new pharaohs, as a symbol of their power over both Lower and Upper Egypt. Queens of the 1st Dynasty bore the title "She Who Sees Horus and Set." The Pyramid Texts present the pharoah as a fusion of the two deities. Evidently, pharoahs believed that they balanced and reconciled competing cosmic principles. Eventually the dual-god Horus-Set appeared, combining features of both deities (as was common in Egyptian theology, the most familiar example being Amun-Re).

Later Egyptians interpreted the myth of the conflict between Set and Osiris/Horus as an analogy for the struggle between the desert (represented by Set) and the fertilizing floods of the Nile (Osiris/Horus).

Cord_Croft
15-09-07, 18:01
Ohh, I was talking to my history teacher about this sort of stuff. He started talking about Norse Mythology, and they described exactly how the world would end, and it matched the perfect discription of a nuclear war or something. Looked it up on Wiki and it said that at the end of it all there would be one woman and one man left.. which made me think something like that had already happened, and Adam & Eve came into existance by that way? I dunno!

Sorry if that had already been posted, haven't read through them all yet :p

Earthcane
15-09-07, 20:20
Ohh, I was talking to my history teacher about this sort of stuff. He started talking about Norse Mythology, and they described exactly how the world would end, and it matched the perfect discription of a nuclear war or something. Looked it up on Wiki and it said that at the end of it all there would be one woman and one man left.. which made me think something like that had already happened, and Adam & Eve came into existance by that way? I dunno!

Sorry if that had already been posted, haven't read through them all yet :p
The Apocalypse at The End of the World? I think youre thinking of Ragnarok.Odin leads all his warriors out of Valhalla to take on the hordes of Loki. The battle is so colossal that it tears the universe apart causing Armaggeddon, the End of All Things.

Earthcane
15-09-07, 20:55
Regardless, once the two lands were united, Seth and Horus were often shown together crowning the new pharaohs, as a symbol of their power over both Lower and Upper Egypt. Queens of the 1st Dynasty bore the title "She Who Sees Horus and Set." The Pyramid Texts present the pharoah as a fusion of the two deities. Evidently, pharoahs believed that they balanced and reconciled competing cosmic principles. Eventually the dual-god Horus-Set appeared, combining features of both deities (as was common in Egyptian theology, the most familiar example being Amun-Re).

Dual-God? Ive never heard of this before. Is that just symbolism?

Dakaruch
15-09-07, 21:14
Dual-God? Ive never heard of this before. Is that just symbolism?

ah yes... there was in certain egipt ages that two gods were related to each other, usually due to the pharaoh simbology... i'm not a coneisseur in that area, but i think that's it...

Earthcane
17-09-07, 00:56
Hi again. Heres some more Irish Myth, on the Tuatha De dannan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatha_D%C3%A9_Danann

The four items: The Cauldron, the Stone, the Spear, and the Sword of Light have similar counterparts in other myths. They remind me of the Deathly Hallows in HP.

Another of my fave Irish myths is the Tain Bo Cuailgne, or more simply, the Tain. Again, ther are many variations of the tale:

The Táin is preceded by a number of remscéla, or pre-tales, which provide background on the main characters and explain the presence of some of the leading men of Ulster in the Connacht camp, the curse that causes the temporary inability of the remaining Ulstermen to fight and the magic origins of the bulls Donn Cuailnge and Finnbhennach. The eight remscéla chosen by Thomas Kinsella for his 1969 translation are sometimes taken to be part of the Táin itself, but come from a variety of manuscripts of different dates. Several other tales exist which are described as remscéla to the Táin, some of which have only a tangential relation to it.

The story proper begins with Ailill and Medb, king and queen of Connacht, assembling their army in Cruachan, their capital. In the first recension the purpose of this military build-up is taken for granted. The second recension adds a prologue in which Ailill and Medb compare their respective wealths and find that the only thing that distinguishes them is Ailill's possession of the phenomenally fertile bull Finnbhennach, who had been born into Medb's herd but scorned being owned by a woman so decided to transfer himself to Ailill's. Medb determines to get the equally potent Donn Cuailnge from Cooley to balance the books with her husband. She successfully negotiates with the bull's owner to rent the animal for a year until her messengers, drunk, reveal that they would have taken the bull by force even if they had not been allowed to borrow it. The deal breaks down, and Medb raises an army, including Ulster exiles led by Fergus mac Róich and other allies, and sets out to capture him.

The men of Ulster are disabled by a curse. The only person fit to defend Ulster is seventeen-year-old Cúchulainn, and he lets the army take Ulster by surprise because he's off on a tryst when he should be watching the border. Medb takes the bull, but Cúchulainn prevents her from taking him back to Connacht by invoking the right of single combat at fords. He defeats champion after champion in a stand-off lasting months. When Fergus, his foster-father, is set to face him, Cúchulainn agrees to yield to him on the condition that Fergus yields the next time they meet. Finally there is a physically and emotionally gruelling three-day duel between the hero and his foster-brother and best friend, Ferdiad.

Eventually the Ulstermen start to rouse, one by one at first, then en masse, and the final battle begins. It ends after Fergus makes good on his promise and yields to Cúchulainn, pulling his forces off the field. Connacht's other allies panic and Medb is forced to retreat. She does, however, manage to bring Donn Cuailnge back to Connacht, where he fights Finnbhennach, kills him, but, mortally wounded himself, wanders around Ireland creating placenames before finally returning home to die of exhaustion.

The Tain is sometimes reffered to as the Irish Iliad, and is much more complex than this. The battle is a long, drawn-out affair with neither side really getting any advantage over the oother. At the end, it comes down to a clash of Champions, Cuchulainn and Ferdia, foster-brothers, life-long friends, soulmates. They are forced to fite by Maeve (Medb), and it is tragic that Cuchulaiin kills Ferdia for the sake of a squabble between two chieftains.

http://i6.************/4xp9rgz.jpg

http://i9.************/4zekocl.jpg
Queen Maeve.