PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for an English class

Lara Croft!
10-09-07, 14:58
My sister is an English teacher in a private high school. And she wants an idea about what to do on the first class of the year. The students are 16-17 years old and the material has to be in English. Sth "light" since it's the first class and pleasant. A funny summer story perhaps... Any ideas?

star girl
10-09-07, 15:10
Write a poem about yourselves! :D

myrmaad
10-09-07, 15:17
A variation of "my summer vacation" but where everyone in the class gives just one sentence, so the final story is a group effort. It could turn out very funny and a lot of fun.

Dakaruch
10-09-07, 15:47
myrmaad idea is good, along with star idea... LOL
but i think that they would enjoy better myrmaad idea, for me is just too hard to make a poem even in portuguese(my native language), how could i even make one in english? XD

the best thing is to just let them say sth about their vacations/hollidays, in a funny way... now it all depends on your sis attitude lora! i had 6 different english teachers in 7 years of english... i only really liked the first class of one of them! XD
no matter what the best thing for her is to be nice and secure, if she is that way her students will do anything she says... ;)
use myrmaad idea, i think it will be lighter and pleasant for a first day

Lara Croft!
10-09-07, 15:59
Thanks!!!!

Trigger_happy
10-09-07, 19:49
From a personal view, I hate doing presentation in front of my class, unless it about something good, and When i get to pick my group. I think the idea that myrmaad's idea was excellent: it doesn't really require an outpouring of the heart that a poem does, and even the more timid students can add something.

Greenkey2
10-09-07, 19:55
One exercise we sometimes do in my writer's group is go round and have each person suggest a different thing: object, character, weather, place, another character, another object etc...

Once we have between eight and ten suggestions we then have fifteen/thirty minutes to come up with some writing based on them. It doesn't have to be amazing, and you often feel silly for scribbling down any old thing that pops into your head (sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with anything on the list!), but it gets your brain working and can be very good for breaking the ice on a new class.

Dingaling
10-09-07, 19:59
One exercise we sometimes do in my writer's group is go round and have each person suggest a different thing: object, character, weather, place, another character, another object etc...

Once we have between eight and ten suggestions we then have fifteen/thirty minutes to come up with some writing based on them. It doesn't have to be amazing, and you often feel silly for scribbling down any old thing that pops into your head (sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with anything on the list!), but it gets your brain working and can be very good for breaking the ice on a new class.

I remember doing this one English class - it was really fun and some of the stories were hilarious :).