PDA

View Full Version : An IRC channel for Tomb Raider forums?

PARANOIA
11-09-07, 20:38
It's a bit irritating that sometimes we have discussions on the forums and end up talking over each other. I for one find it very fatiguing, not to mention time-using, to keep hitting "Refresh" on a certain topic because I'm afraid of missing something thus not getting my point across.

So I propose a Tomb Raider Forums IRC channel. Would anyone here be in support of this?

scion05
11-09-07, 20:40
As in a chat ?
It once happened, and some silly **** on here decided it best
to impersonate people and cause SEVERE havoc.

Paperdoll
11-09-07, 20:42
As in a chat ?
It once happened, and some silly **** on here decided it best
to impersonate people and cause SEVERE havoc.

It did? :X

da tomb raider!
11-09-07, 20:43
Erm... what's an IRC channel? :o

Lenochka
11-09-07, 20:43
Yes Twas a nice little place to... Until that ******* kept coming on =/ Some person kept coming in and changing there username to be someone from the forum and go on an insulting spree... Basically the person was to chicken to come after people on the forum so they did it there.

scion05
11-09-07, 20:44

Yes someone made a chat room for us and it was posted :)

PARANOIA
11-09-07, 20:45
Yes Twas a nice little place to... Until that ******* kept coming on =/ Some person kept coming in and changing there username to be someone from the forum and go on an insulting spree... Basically the person was to chicken to come after people on the forum so they did it there.

Obviously the IRC channel didn't have very good op security at the time. :o

Paperdoll
11-09-07, 20:45
Oh that little chat room... well in IRC you have more control over stuff like that, with mods and such, which I don't think that chat room had...dunno can't remember.

Grenade
11-09-07, 20:47
When did that happen? :)

I prefer Flash Chat to be honest. :wve:

Lenochka
11-09-07, 20:48
When did that happen? :)

Around a year or so ago... Kinda killed the whole chat experience when you have someone constantly bashing everyone else =/

Grenade
11-09-07, 20:50
Around a year or so ago... Kinda filled the whole chat experience when you have someone constantly bashing everyone else =/
Ah I see. I must not have been browsing the forums round that time. Can't believe that people would do stuff like that too. =(

scion05
11-09-07, 20:50
I remember him, and we also had a good idea who if i remember correctly....
he/she/it was going :

ELEN : Btw, ur all ****s

ETC, after pretending to help :(

Grenade
11-09-07, 20:51
I would say Flash Chat is better, you can't change your names there I think. :wve:

MiCkiZ88
11-09-07, 20:51
I must've missed that fuss. I heard about it though.

But anyways I don't use IRC. So I dunno =/

Lenochka
11-09-07, 20:52
I remember him, and we also had a good idea who if i remember correctly....
he/she/it was going :

ELEN : Btw, ur all ****s

ETC, after pretending to help :(

Ooooh yeah! I remember that! I believe they impersonated Elen and TLR, Then the real Elen came :D and she was all undercover :D Once he came back they had an epic battle :3 (Well more like he kept coming at her and she just totally owned him over and over again, Truly was awesome :D)

scion05
11-09-07, 20:52
and in my pm inbox :vlol:

PARANOIA
11-09-07, 20:55
Well it's all well and good to reminisce, but what does everyone actually think of the idea? Should we start it now? It would be good to be able to talk actively instead of passively.

Geck-o-Lizard
11-09-07, 20:58
I'd reccommend you just share MSN addresses with folk you want to chat with...

PARANOIA
11-09-07, 21:00
I'd reccommend you just share MSN addresses with folk you want to chat with...

But that's only one-on-one conversation. I'm talking about a chat room where you can have discussions (like in threads in General Chat or the Tomb Raider forums), but people don't have to hit refresh all the time to see a response.

Mad Tony
11-09-07, 21:00
But that's only one-on-one conversation. I'm talking about a chat room where you can have discussions (like in threads in General Chat or the Tomb Raider forums), but people don't have to hit refresh all the time to see a response.You can do that on MSN. You can add as many people as you like into one conversation so you're all chatting at once.

Lenochka
11-09-07, 21:01
But that's only one-on-one conversation. I'm talking about a chat room where you can have discussions (like in threads in General Chat or the Tomb Raider forums), but people don't have to hit refresh all the time to see a response.

Actually, On MSN you can have conferences where you can have a ton of people, Up to 20 i believe... Hell maybe even more.

jamieoliver22
11-09-07, 21:02
I have said about the idea of a TRF IRC channel many times but it doesn't seem like it would happen any time soon. I know it doesn't mean as much now, but it would take a strain off the server somewhat and would probably increase the community.

That saying too, Justin says that nobody could moderate and monitor the channel, but I am sure there are many members on here that would help out, I would gladly do so (I am an op in many rooms over at irc.gg-center.net and know all the IRCops well).

I would like the idea of an IRC channel personally, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

PARANOIA
11-09-07, 21:02
Regarding MSN conferences:

Hmm. Actually, that might work.

I could hold weekend discussion groups. People could join and we could talk about a certain topic in a mature, active manner.

I have said about the idea of a TRF IRC channel many times but it doesn't seem like it would happen any time soon. I know it doesn't mean as much now, but it would take a strain off the server somewhat and would probably increase the community.

That saying too, Justin says that nobody could moderate and monitor the channel, but I am sure there are many members on here that would help out, I would gladly do so (I am an op in many rooms over at irc.gg-center.net and know all the IRCops well).

I would like the idea of an IRC channel personally, but I don't see it happening any time soon.I don't think we need Justin's permission to open up a channel (unless he gets a cease-and-desist order from Eidos! ;) )

I could easily open up a channel right now, throw some ops into the server, and get the ball rolling. I'm just taking a census of interest.

tlr online
11-09-07, 21:04
I've said before we cannot effectively moderate an IRC channel. Moreover we would be putting our members at risk by allowing one to be operated here.

Additionally. We survive (read: exist) because of revenue generated from banner ads. Our members using IRC over our forum would mean an end to this forum. It's as simple as that.

We don't make a profit here. In fact we make a loss each month, but it's a loss I'm prepared to consume at this point. If the loss gets any bigger, the forum will close. I don't have bottomless pockets filled with money.

tlr online
11-09-07, 21:14
OK. Reopened. You can discuss my comments if you wish, but please respect my wishes. I cannot afford any wider losses than I'm already consuming.

Titanium
11-09-07, 21:16
OK. Reopened. You can discuss my comments if you wish, but please respect my wishes. I cannot afford any wider losses than I'm already consuming.

Cant you place more ads at the bottom of the page as well? Im sure you had some there with the old software.

xcrushterx
11-09-07, 21:19
How about you add a donate button? I'm sure lots of members would be more than willing to help out :)

Dingaling
11-09-07, 21:20
Wouldn't Eidos also help out or am I just being naive?

Paperdoll
11-09-07, 21:22
How about you add a donate button? I'm sure lots of members would be more than willing to help out :)

I was going to mention that but I seriously doubt that any signficant income would come out of that. I'd love an IRC channel but it would really break the purpose of the forums... and without proper moderation, it could really be havoc with so many people in there (let's face it, I highly doubt there'd be 20 or 30 of us there, more like hundreds, many with stupid convos, questions etc).

Sad but true.

tlr online
11-09-07, 21:24
Cant you place more ads at the bottom of the page as well? Im sure you had some there with the old software.

Do you want a forum filled with ads? I certainly don't if I can help it. One ad per page is enough atm, providing folk keep talking.

Regarding a donate button. I've put one on Tomb Raider Chronicles. (bottom right of each index page). But that was under pressure. I really don't like donate buttons. Services should be free.

tlr online
11-09-07, 21:24
Wouldn't Eidos also help out or am I just being naive?

:vlol:

PARANOIA
11-09-07, 21:25

Then perhaps I'll hold off the concept of making a channel until I can get a cash flow, or at least something to pay for the expenses generated from it.

:vlol:

I have a feeling that wasn't a "that was funny" laugh.

da tomb raider!
11-09-07, 21:25
Y'know, I still don't know what an IRC channel is... :p

Reggie
11-09-07, 21:26
Neither do I :/

*searches*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

jamieoliver22
11-09-07, 21:27
Yeah, true that it could cause havoc but if there was a separate IRC mod team it could work. I know a few ops that could help out and the IRCops on my usual network would support also. I know it sounds like I am bigging up the network, but it is a good network.

And I understand about the forums not being as popular and more money being lost - but in a way, Open Chat is essentially like IRC as it is. But yeah, if you added an extra ad at the bottom and also a donate feature, it could help.

Titanium
11-09-07, 21:28
Do you want a forum filled with ads? I certainly don't if I can help it. One ad per page is enough atm, providing folk keep talking.

Well not ideally but if its required then its a possibility. Still remember the old survey ads TRF used to have.

Dingaling
11-09-07, 21:28
I have a feeling that wasn't a "that was funny" laugh.

And there I thought I had a future career as a comedian :p.

Considering Justin has probably done more for Eidos than Eidos actually realises I'm sure they can throw a few hundred pounds to Justin. Not gonna kill them :p. I mean this forum probably gets more views in a day than the official forums get in a month.

Paperdoll
11-09-07, 21:29
Yeah, true that it could cause havoc but if there was a separate IRC mod team it could work. I know a few ops that could help out and the IRCops on my usual network would support also. I know it sounds like I am bigging up the network, but it is a good network.

And I understand about the forums not being as popular and more money being lost - but in a way, Open Chat is essentially like IRC as it is. But yeah, if you added an extra ad at the bottom and also a donate feature, it could help.

Maybe doing it for a limited ammount of time as an experiment could work, to see how things would work out. It could help reducing the spam and all but still...

tlr online
11-09-07, 21:30
Well not ideally but if its required then its a possibility. Still remember the old survey ads TRF used to have.

LOL! Yeah, I remember those. That was when we were with doubeclick (who Google just bought, b/w)

tlr online
11-09-07, 21:31
Maybe doing it for a limited ammount of time as an experiment could work, to see how things would work out. It could help reducing the spam and all but still...

Did you read my comments about what reduced traffic would do to this forum?

Paperdoll
11-09-07, 21:33
Did you read my comments about what reduced traffic would do to this forum?

Yes I have. I meant spam, as in Open Chat spam. Guess there's no way for this to work since it'd be hard to separate OC convos from things that could result in actual threads and more views...

PARANOIA
11-09-07, 21:34
Yes I have. I meant spam, as in Open Chat spam. Guess there's no way for this to work since it'd be hard to separate OC convos from things that could result in actual threads and more views...

Sometimes spam is beneficial. It depends on who's sending and who's receiving.

Suddenly I feel like breaking out into the Spamalot song this very moment.

tlr online
11-09-07, 21:34

The Open Chat thread was designed for idle banter. I mean, we won't tolerate blatant spamming, but the rules in that thread are still very much relaxed so you folk can just have a laugh.

And I hate to say it, but the "spam" which you are referring to does still generate revenue. NOT THAT I'M CONDONING IT!

Paperdoll
11-09-07, 21:38
The Open Chat thread was designed for idle banter. I mean, we won't tolerate blatant spamming, but the rules in that thread are still very much relaxed so you folk can just have a laugh.

And I hate to say it, but the "spam" which you are referring to does still generate revenue. NOT THAT I'M CONDONING IT!

Yes I meant it as "spam" :p and I think many people do view that thread... oh well lemme go back to this post then XD

I was going to mention that but I seriously doubt that any signficant income would come out of that. I'd love an IRC channel but it would really break the purpose of the forums... and without proper moderation, it could really be havoc with so many people in there (let's face it, I highly doubt there'd be 20 or 30 of us there, more like hundreds, many with stupid convos, questions etc).

Sad but true.

If it's a no go, it's a no go. It's best to keep these up and running than to just get an IRC channel. I was just exploring possibilities... guess none of them would work XD

Pipolinne
IRC channel:

X: Hows u

Y:SupEr!JuS Plyid Nuoode Rider!

Z:Yu deviLs!Htat's UndeCent!:hea::hea::hea::hea:

X: Go **** Yurself!

Z: You *******...go take in the ....!!!!!!1!!!!!11111

Y: Mother****er from Hail!we Pla1 WhAT we wont,LuuooseR!!:mad::mad::mad:

Dakaruch
can someone enlighten me... what is an IRC?

Titanium
11-09-07, 21:39

Internet Relay Chat. Basically its a chat room.

PARANOIA
11-09-07, 21:40
IRC channel:

I haven't been to an IRC channel like that in years.

Dakaruch
11-09-07, 21:41
Internet Relay Chat. Basically its a chat room.

thanks ;)
now that would be independent from TRF or not? or would TRF turn into that?

jamieoliver22
11-09-07, 21:41
IRC channel:

IRC isn't like that at all. IRC is rather relaxed and I have had many interesting and useful discussions on it. I have many friends on IRC so we always have a laugh and such too.

It is basically like a chat room system but more advanced. The best description of it is "a muliplayer notepad" :p

http://www.mirc.com/irc.html << Read here for info on it.

Titanium
11-09-07, 21:43
thanks ;)
now that would be independent from TRF or not? or would TRF turn into that?

It would be independant from the forum itself, thats why Justin doesnt want one. It takes away people from the forum where all the adverts are.

Dakaruch
11-09-07, 21:45
It is basically like a chat room system but more advanced. The best description of it is "a muliplayer notepad" :p

http://www.mirc.com/irc.html << Read here for info on it.

by the two paragraphs i read i say NO... this will turn into something really bad! and could anyone enter that, even without an account? that will mean that people that don't like tr come and destroy our comunity...

and that about advert, i think that justin is right... advert here on TRF is what sustents this forum right? if people stop coming here, the advertisement won't be seen by anyone and so it looses it's effects...

Pipolinne
11-09-07, 21:47
Jamie,I had my account and years of IRC. Actually,I had my fee of all kinds of chatrooms,and,taking one or two,all ended that way.And I'm not talking about years ago.

I see no use for a IRC TRF channel. I mean,here,we can speak about everything!

nicola1986
11-09-07, 21:48
I don't know if that'd be good, I remember being on some chat rooms and people kept repeating the same thing over and over again until the page filled with it, it was so annoying and a lot of peoples' usernames got stolen and used against them.

And also this:
ASL every1?

Any fit birds from Derby in here aged 18 - 25? lol :cln:

Lew
11-09-07, 21:48
We can't speak about everything, if I spoke my mind on this forum I would get banned, seriously. But meh just add people who want to talk to msn. :)

Pipolinne
11-09-07, 21:49
I don't know if that'd be good, I remember being on some chat rooms and people kept repeating the same thing over and over again until the page filled with it, it was so annoying and a lot of peoples' usernames got stolen and used against them.

And also this:
ASL every1?

Any fit birds from Derby in here aged 18 - 25? lol :cln:

I forgot those :vlol:!

Lew,I always said what I wanted, here.Only I never offended anyone. You see,stating your point isn't the same than get furious and trolish because a video of one's favourite band , disrespecting this forum T&C that a one never cared to read,wasn't allowed to be posted.

jamieoliver22
11-09-07, 21:52
Its not that I am trying to make TRF have an IRC channel, I just wanna say that not all IRC is about lamers asking ASL and such. There are many intellectual discussions that go on on IRC. It isn't like a lame flash chat full of freaks, it is more advanced than that and has many more features and options to stop things like that happening.

And even when there are people being lame, they can easily be kicked and banned with plenty of good ops on the job.

Sedge
11-09-07, 21:54
Hmm.. Like for what purpose? O_o Like an Open Chat where we, members, could talk about just anything or specifically a channel for discussing Tomb Raider?
I don't.. quite see why we should have a channel. And I'm sure there are some gaming channels where people talk about Tomb Raider already, so why would we need an official TRF channel? We talk about Tomb Raider here already as a community, that's the idea! :p
And if it was about certain members wanting to communicate with each other.. then they'd organize it privately by themselves, like MSN or a channel in IRC, just not a TRF one. Like.. like what's the whole idea? Sorry, I'm just.. confused. XD

Besides, in my opinion, it's more fun talking here at the forums (was the subject TR-related or not) anyways, so.. yay. :D

nicola1986
11-09-07, 22:00
I'll definitely speak my mind, if I have an opinion about something I'll usually stand up for it but I never like to offend anyone or be rude about something, I always try to be respectful of other people :)