PDA

View Full Version : Which tomb raider do you think was the biggest dissapointment?

Woop Legend!
12-09-07, 13:25
Out of

Chronicles
AOD
Legend
Anniversary

Mine would be Legend

Angel_14
12-09-07, 13:27
I liked all of them, but what really didn't live up my expectations was Legend and Anniversary.

Eddie Haskell
12-09-07, 13:29
Soon poll #6 will have enough responses, and it has a similar question on it. So far there are no surprises for this question.

RAID
12-09-07, 13:29
From worst to least worst:

Anniversary, AOD, Chronicles, Legend

Alex Fly
12-09-07, 13:32
Chronicles principally, but AOD too.

Zelda master
12-09-07, 14:14
Legend

just croft
12-09-07, 14:19
Legend, they just might have sticked with Core althought the CD graphics are a hundred times better the story and moves are 100 times worse

redfox45
12-09-07, 14:27
When I played TR2 I loved it to death!!!!
So I tried out TR1 which didnt really impress me after playing the sequel *covers up to prepare for barrage of flying shoes*
I then saw a trailer for TR3 and thought it would be amazing but when I played it, it was an even bigger dissapoinment than TR1 (im not going to bash TR1 too much because it was a good game but there was somthing about it I just couldn't get on with)

I tried the next TR games but didnt really give them a chance after the giant dissapointment of 3 but After playing Legend I thought it was better than 2 and Anniversary was even better! I am not ashamed to admit that I loved the CD games the most.

So I will say TR3, (if I has played TR1 first my answer might have been different)

I hated 3 it was too hard and I didnt know what the hell I was after or where I was going half the time and TBH I didnt really give a crap I guess I ever really got on with the classic controls, too stiff.

Jja1987
12-09-07, 14:32
It wasn't a disappointment per se, but I really, really couldn't get into The Last Revelation at all. I don't know why, but I got bored very quickly with that one, I seem to recall.

Sir Croft
12-09-07, 14:34
AOD and Chronicles.

MiCkiZ88
12-09-07, 14:42
Chronicles, Legend & Anniversary (I hoped way too much from it)

larson n natla
12-09-07, 14:44
AOD a big huge build to to they eventual possible death of tr

Michiel
12-09-07, 14:51
AOD, mainly for it hardly being a Tomb Raider game. But also for gameplay stuff. like interactive cutscenes. Lara should be independent girl, not someone that needs to interact with people to progress through the game. I didn't like wimp Lara that was trading with people and being nice to strangers while she could threaten them to get what she wanted. All she wanted in Parisian Ghetto was Bouchard, all she needed to do was talk to Janice and then threaten Pierre (he is a total loser as Janice said).

Spaceman
12-09-07, 14:54
probably anniversary, so much hype and tho its a good game its still nothing like legend which i think is the second best, first being TR1

ShadyCroft
12-09-07, 15:05
The biggest one for me was Legend. AOD was a CORE version so when I bought it, I expected the same controls, same style of level design and gameplay and feeling but with better graphics...I was alittle disappointed, not like Legend. Before Legend came out, I saw ALL trailers, ALL screenshots, I loved the graphics and how Lara looked and I imagined myslef playing the game, same CORE controls and gameplay with the graphics I saw through the trailers. But when I saw that it was different and all I was imagining wasnt there, I was really disappointed...why cant I jump with ALT ? Why cant I swim like in CORE's version ? Why cant I find keys ? Why cant I have more than 3 med packs ? Where are the keys ? Why is it so easy ? I was only impressed with the graphics (which is the only thing one can see in trailers), the rest which I imagined to be close to CORE was different, I was disappointed big time...but I recovered quickly, and I gave em second chances.

As for Anniversary, Legend made me see how CD's style is, so I wasnt expecting anything brilliant, an improvement yes (which I have to say, they did) but not brilliance.

MikeAC
12-09-07, 15:06
Chronicles
My major problem was the level design. The largest areas in this game would only be a medium sized room at best in the previous titles. The design was uninteresting - especially the first two Rome levels with the dull textures, lack of puzzles and lack of action. Another problem is one Legend is often critisized for - being too linear. Every level felt like several rooms connected by a single path. There were at least three levels that offered a "left or right" choice but apart from that it was no different to Legend.

The music was a joke. Nearly all of the new tracks sounded identical with the bongos and dull. There was a lot of recycled music from the previous game. The stories felt uninspiring with a lot of plot holes. The worst part was only four levels were something you'd expect from a Tomb Raider game - The Colloseum being the only real tomb in the game. Everything else felt like it came straight out of a game like Syphon Filter or 007: The World Is Not Enough which were both released round that time.

Add to that there wasn't many levels, the ending was anticlimatic, a ton of glitches, half finished character models and FMV with out-of-sync sound (cutscenes I can understand, but not FMVs) After spending months on the previous games, this one only took me 2 days. Overall it felt incredibly rushed.

Angel of Darkness
First and foremost the HORRIBLE controls. I got used to them enough to get through the game without any problems but it doesn't make them good. Graphics looked nice, but the levels were EXTREMELY short. 2/3 of the levels can be finished under 5 minutes. There were too many ideas taken from other games that weren't well utilized like the strength upgrades, talking to other characters and the stealth. Not enough tombs (although more than Chronicles) and the tedious Parisian Ghetto section which got very boring. I didn't get many glitches the first time but I did for every playthrough after that (worst being that continuous scream)

Legend
Mostly the length, the (lack of) difficulty and how linear it was. The story was a letdown too. The ending was anticlimatic save for Lara going psycho on Amanda and it shouldn't have taken inspiration from the movies (her parents, the tech team, gadgets used to make Lara look cool and the new mansion)

Anniversary
Mostly due to the number of rooms that got cut. There were too many that I don't think the level design did the original any justice. The cat mummies were also a big letdown. They looked great but didn't have the fear factor of the original. The camera was pretty bad also.

I don't think any are bad games. I would play them all again, but compared to the first four none of them come close to being as enjoyable. Chronicles is the worst of the lot since it was obvious no effort was put into it compared to its sequels.

MaskedRaider
12-09-07, 15:17
It wasn't a disappointment per se, but I really, really couldn't get into The Last Revelation at all. I don't know why, but I got bored very quickly with that one, I seem to recall.

Exactament ma chère - i agree!:)

Emiri
12-09-07, 15:19
Legend, probably. I don't like the movies and Legend is way too much like them. Lara doesn't need any assistants! xP Zip and Alister are kind of funny but they don't fit Tomb Raider games imo.

Also, Lara wasn't very "laraish" in it...

maximum_123
12-09-07, 15:32
Legend.

SamReeves
12-09-07, 15:38
Chronicles was the true stinker of the series, even next to AOD. More of a hiccup from Core design than a good old fashined TR game.

abc123
12-09-07, 15:47
legend, worst **** ever, I sold my copy after like 2 days. Rubbish.
Tomb Raider isn't James bond, its Tomb Raider.

I really hope they dont cock up Legend 2. I have hope.

KurtisTrent90
12-09-07, 15:56
Legend of course. :o

Mad Tony
12-09-07, 16:07
Legend.

Legend of Lara
12-09-07, 16:16
Gimme an L! Gimme an E! Gimme a G! Gimme an E! Gimme an N! Gimme a D!

LEGEND!!! :jmp:

MUN33B
12-09-07, 16:26
AOD/Legend. Borth were good in some ways but let me down a lot :(

VonCroy360
12-09-07, 16:38
AoD.

It is a good game in the end, but Eidos and Core were all about how amazing, grand and the best of them all will it be, but then something obviously went erong in the making and it didn't live up to the expectations. :)

I see many people are saying Legend, but I personally wasn't expecting that much from it - after AoD and seeing it was CD's first.

TRBeth
12-09-07, 16:44
TRA was a big let down, even though no one actually had to use their imagination since it was a remake; still messed it up. Legend had a lot of problems, but at least it was fun "as a game", though not much tomb raiding going on.

StophClark
12-09-07, 16:47
Let me think.... LEGEND :hea:

so short,linear,superhuman monkey barbie syle like
Also half the cool stuf that had been developed through the first 6 TRs were scrapped like sprinting,crawling, hand to hand combat, exploration, storyline, fun err.. yer its not my favourite Tr put it that way

joemancoe
12-09-07, 17:25
Legend and Anniversary such hype but such bitter disappointment imo :(

Reggie
12-09-07, 17:36
TRA was a big let down, even though no one actually had to use their imagination since it was a remake; still messed it up. Legend had a lot of problems, but at least it was fun "as a game", though not much tomb raiding going on.

Spot on.

TRA WAS a big disappointment and it showed through just how lifeless the game was both in its repetitive gameplay and the awful textures which made environments feel dull and even clinical in comparison to what we've seen from Core's TR:AE.

I also feel many of the problems Legend had were continued with this installment too.

raiderfun
12-09-07, 17:38
AOD and Chronicles.

Same here ;)

Athene
12-09-07, 17:41
Legend, without doubt.

troy tr
12-09-07, 17:47
Legend was such a waste of my time and money.

Boring and uncreative. Dredfully scripted and cliche plot. Oozes with cheesyness of hollywood.

Mona Sax
12-09-07, 18:19
Since this thread is about the entire series, I'm going to move it to Gen Chat.

knutroald
12-09-07, 18:21
AOD and Chronicles.

same here

interstellardave
12-09-07, 18:23
It astonishes me... truly astonishes me how many people like AOD. :confused:

I was disappointed in Legend, yes, but not nearly as much as I was with AOD. So AOD gets my vote as worst... easily.

scion05
Legend then Anniversary :)

Dakaruch
there are three that really disapointed me... they are

1-Legend
2-Anniversary(by the bosses easyness)
3-AoD, they could have made a great game if they had the chance and the story could be so freakin good

TombRaiderLover
12-09-07, 18:26
Biggest disappointment? Anniversary, easily. I actually had high expectations for it as the release came nearer and nearer. Did it have everything CD promised? Noooo. :p

Mona Sax
12-09-07, 18:28
Mine would have to be Chronicles, mostly because there was absolutely no reason for that game. They had no story to tell, the heroine was dead, the engine outdated, there was no time to develop a proper game. Read: a quick buck.

Legend disappointed me quite a lot, too. I expected much more - especially not a demo sold as a full game. I was also frustrated by how little of the series' characteristics were preserved and how it was changed for an entirely new audience.

Rivendell
12-09-07, 18:30
legend. I've explained why it was such a disappointment enough times over the last year, however a short term disappointment came at the start as I was really looking forward to the game for about 2 or 3 months before it came out.

danitiwa
12-09-07, 18:31
Legend.

Betal
12-09-07, 18:31
AOD

I checked internet everyday about it. And then I finally got it and sold it after 3 levels.

troy tr
12-09-07, 19:14
AOD

I checked internet everyday about it. And then I finally got it and sold it after 3 levels.
You could have at least finish it first:eek: I agree with you the early levels were boring. Paris backstreet...yeah. But later levels were much more interesting,honest!

Jensie17
12-09-07, 19:32
AOD

no wonder why u choosed AOD XD play it til the Lourve come on.
Legend for me

tranniversary119
12-09-07, 19:32
AOD, Chronicles.

da tomb raider!
12-09-07, 19:35
Legend. Easily the most dissapointing video game I've ever played.

Thorir
12-09-07, 19:37
Legend.

AoD had crappy controls, and a crap storyline, but at least it made you play for a few days/weeks. I finished Legend in two days. Dissapointing!!!!! A TR game should take weeks.

Paul H
12-09-07, 20:12
Legend.

ThomasCroft
12-09-07, 20:34
Angel of Darkness was my biggest disappointment, but it was a good game.

PARANOIA
12-09-07, 20:45
Justin's website bombarded me and other excited fans with an array of screenshots that got me excited for Tomb Raider Legend.

Funny how the game ended up being nothing like how I imagined, and instead of an epic, we have fan wars between the newcomers, the old-schoolers, the old-schoolers preferring the new games, the newcomers preferring the old games, and those who just want us all to get along.

MoonSword
12-09-07, 22:01
Chronicles. Not a disappointment, but the impression it's a step lower than the others.

illuminati30
12-09-07, 22:05
Legend.

Legends
12-09-07, 22:07
Angel of Darkness, no question.

Eddie Haskell
12-09-07, 22:13
Justin's website bombarded me and other excited fans with an array of screenshots that got me excited for Tomb Raider Legend.

Funny how the game ended up being nothing like how I imagined, and instead of an epic, we have fan wars between the newcomers, the old-schoolers, the old-schoolers preferring the new games, the newcomers preferring the old games, and those who just want us all to get along.

I wonder what EIDOS thought the reaction would be in TR fandom, prior to the release of Legend? Of course once they viewed the game in all it's glory (or lack thereof) and were able to discern it's qualities. Did they think that it was a worthy successor, a small step in a long process, or were some of them possibly freaked out by the drastic changes? I wonder how much time CD has to get it right.

CroftScionGuard
12-09-07, 22:13
Aod!

aquaflute
12-09-07, 22:37
AOD for me too!!!! It's the only TR game where you can't even use pistols in a normal way.

DMC
12-09-07, 22:46
I don't think any of the Tomb Raider Games were dissapontments.

I think that every game is good in it's own way.

Tomb Raider games cannot be a dissapointment.

;)

Lenochka
12-09-07, 23:16
AOD, Didn't like the new Lara at all =/ I didn't enjoy the ****ty controls, Though the graphics were nice they still didnt make up for everything else sadly :( Right about then i kinda gave up the TR series, But a few years later i seen legend in a gaming magazine and was hooked once again! :D

EscondeR
13-09-07, 08:19
AOD.
Legend was a disappointment, but after AOD I was prepared for even worse :(

danitiwa
13-09-07, 08:24
You could have at least finish it first:eek: I agree with you the early levels were boring. Paris backstreet...yeah. But later levels were much more interesting,honest!

Agreed, if you don't bother to even finish it how do you know it's bad? I gave up on TR1 because the cave levels were boring, but when I got deeper into it it was one of the most thrilling things I've ever experienced! :yik:

AOD Is a beautiful game, I suggest you finish it.

nicola1986
13-09-07, 09:58
Legend, just because it was way too short, I got to the last level thinking I should be about half-way through.

MMAN
13-09-07, 12:19
Mine would have to be Chronicles, mostly because there was absolutely no reason for that game. They had no story to tell, the heroine was dead, the engine outdated, there was no time to develop a proper game. Read: a quick buck.

Pretty much this.

Legend could apply, but I was fully prepared for them to miss the point in several ways; the CD team apparently has few (if any) long-time fans (as in ones who still play their favorites of the originals with some regularity), and, therefore, after AOD a lot of what they had to go on for an impression of the series was a bunch of hateboy crap and negative media (it doesn't excuse them much, since they could have just dug a little more, but I can see what happened).

Mr.Burns
13-09-07, 12:26
Chronicles: This one gave me the impression of "Quick, let's throw out another TR game to keep the fans happy for a while." :rolleyes:

Necromanser
13-09-07, 12:26
Aod the controls were crappy ,the storyline was crap, kurtis was :cen:

Catlantean
13-09-07, 12:30
AOD. The actual game wasn't like they advertised, and all the features I looked forward to either got the cut or were cosmetic only (RPG elements, stealth, etc).
Legend is another candidate, but I have to say I didn't really get my hopes up for that one so the disappointment was significantly smaller.

Marija_Croft
13-09-07, 12:54
Legend.Short, not adventureos , and Lara has BIG boobs. :ohn:

See for yourself. (http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee69/Evanescence_No1_Fan/screen8.jpg)

nicola1986
13-09-07, 12:57
^ lol wish mine were like that :mis:

b0bb13
13-09-07, 13:00
I think it's AOD.Because they had almost 4 years and the game was awful.:wve:

Legend.Short, not adventureos , and Lara has BIG boobs. :ohn:

See for yourself. (http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee69/Evanescence_No1_Fan/screen8.jpg)

*cough* (http://www.hcgamer.hu/gamer/images/cikkek/2002_09/lara.jpg)Did you play TR1,2,3,4,5,6?:whi::p

Lara Croft!
13-09-07, 13:11
Legend

disneyprincess20
13-09-07, 14:02
I have to say AOD. they had an incredibly long time to make it, but still didn't come up with a finished game. Legend may be short (and easy) but at least it has some finishing touches to it.

laracroftenvy16
14-09-07, 15:34
I would have-to say, :(tombraider chronicles. It was weird and barzzar for tombraider, and the graphics SUCKED! So yes, TR5...:(

Elysia
14-09-07, 15:40
Legend.

Even though Chronicles was a dosappointment, it had parts I enjoyed. AoD was a disappointment in that so much had been cut, but the storyline was so intricate and awesome that I could forgive it (but not those *awful* controls...)

Legend was a disappoint for me in so many ways (which most of you have had rammed down your throats by me so many times I don't think I need to reiterate them here!), but the main one was simply 'how on earth could CD, the people who made the mighty LoK series, be satisfied with releasing something as shallow as Legend?'

I guess I just expected more from them. I was originally excited to see what CD would do with TR. Such a bitter, bitter disappointment...

Beanz
14-09-07, 15:50
Legend.... Need I say more? :pi:

Inkheart
14-09-07, 15:57
Angel of Darkness was my biggest disappointment. I checked the Internet every day to see if the release date had been pushed back further, then I got it, and everything that had been promised was so hollow - the better controls (lie!) the talking to people and it will dramatically change the path you take (lie!) EVERYTHING made me want to find whoever let this travesty loose on the gaming world. I WILL FIND YOU!!!

I make it sound like I hate AoD, but I don't really. There are so many games out there that are worse, and AoD succeeded where so many games fail - not becoming dull and repetitive within the first five levels. When I think of what AoD could've been, it makes me feel sick.

yesrushdt
16-09-07, 00:39

Legend disappointed me quite a lot, too. I expected much more - especially not a demo sold as a full game. I was also frustrated by how little of the series' characteristics were preserved and how it was changed for an entirely new audience.

Totally agree with you there.

I would also include AOD. We will always wonder what could have been had Core been given the necessary time to finish the game properly. It's kind of ironic how lightning struck twice with the development of TRAE. ****es me off just thinking about it.

Encore
16-09-07, 12:24
I think it was Legend... I was so anxious to play it, and at first I enjoyed it so much, but then I started to see the percentage of complete gameplay going up fast as hell... When I realized it was so small, I felt really frustrated. So long waiting for it and then it's like a "gold" edition. :(

jamieoliver22
16-09-07, 14:49
When I first played AOD, it was a let down for me. But once I actually ended up playing it again a few years later, I now actually like it.