PDA

View Full Version : Standing up to your friends

troy tr
14-09-07, 02:43
It takes great courage to stand up against your enemies. But a great deal more to stand up to your friends. (someone might know where these words originated from:p)

But anyway, those words were true. Last night I stand up to my friend because he's being rough and rude for the past few days. It is terrifying to me because I don't want to loose him as a friend either. So we talk, argued a bit and embarassingly there were a bit of shoutings too at the beginning :o But as it went out, he points out some of my bad sides too and I hate to admit it...he was right. :o It subsidised to slow chat and finally we apologized to each other. *shake hands*

He really isn't that bad of a person. I feel stupid we quarrel about stupid things. Anyway, were in good terms now and I feel that I like him even more now. Funny how these things happen huh?:tea:

Anyway, what do you think? Have you any similar experiences?:D

Jensie17
14-09-07, 03:02
my friend got in trouble and didnt want to talk to anyone, i came in his room, drag him into the ring and start to punch him while asking why he is acting like that :P and everything settled down :) does that count as similar to ur experience? :D

troy tr
14-09-07, 03:10
Lol kinda :vlol: As long as things work out :D

calico25
14-09-07, 03:15
I know exactly what you mean. I have had problems with some of my friends before and i don't like confrontation with my friends. I have lost several friends over the years because of stupid stuff just because we could not sit down and hammer out the problems and whatnot.

I only just recently got into contact with one of my best friends after we had not spoken in over 2 years...finally talked about the problem that got us into fist fight in our apartment.

Its good to hear you were able to work your problems out.

BtoFu
14-09-07, 03:24
Nice going mate, you're an example to us all. :tmb:

Ahem I just punch them out cold myself. :wve:

troy tr
14-09-07, 03:45
I know exactly what you mean. I have had problems with some of my friends before and i don't like confrontation with my friends. I have lost several friends over the years because of stupid stuff just because we could not sit down and hammer out the problems and whatnot.

I only just recently got into contact with one of my best friends after we had not spoken in over 2 years...finally talked about the problem that got us into fist fight in our apartment.

Its good to hear you were able to work your problems out.
Thank you calico. It's great you've tidy things up with your friend too.:hug:
Nice going mate, you're an example to us all. :tmb:

Ahem I just punch them out cold myself. :wve:Thanks and LOL :D

nicola1986
14-09-07, 10:20
Congrats on your bravery :hug:

I have a real hard time standing up to anyone, I always used to let people walk all over me and just agree with whatever they said, not wanting people to dislike me, it was such a hard time.

Now I don't care so much about what people think and I try to stand up for what I think is right :)

troy tr
14-09-07, 13:26
You can't win please everyone nicola. You have to follow your heart and what you believe because that is what really matters to you. I'm not saying we shouldn't care about other people, you just have to believe in yourself and have a strong will.:)

myrmaad
14-09-07, 13:38
It takes great courage to stand up against your enemies. But a great deal more to stand up to your friends. (someone might know where these words originated from:p)

But anyway, those words were true. Last night I stand up to my friend because he's being rough and rude for the past few days. It is terrifying to me because I don't want to loose him as a friend either. So we talk, argued a bit and embarassingly there were a bit of shoutings too at the beginning :o But as it went out, he points out some of my bad sides too and I hate to admit it...he was right. :o It subsidised to slow chat and finally we apologized to each other. *shake hands*

He really isn't that bad of a person. I feel stupid we quarrel about stupid things. Anyway, were in good terms now and I feel that I like him even more now. Funny how these things happen huh?:tea:

Anyway, what do you think? Have you any similar experiences?:D

Excellent. Keep this lesson with in all your future relationships. Be honest, don't avoid the conflict, confront it, and it will bring you closer, create much more deeply intimate bonds of friendship (and love with the right person).

I've had similar honest relationships and some of those have lasted more than 30 years. :)

Congrats on your bravery :hug:

I have a real hard time standing up to anyone, I always used to let people walk all over me and just agree with whatever they said, not wanting people to dislike me, it was such a hard time.

Now I don't care so much about what people think and I try to stand up for what I think is right :)

This "pleasing the other person" is actually a form of passive aggression, it's conflict avoidance at its worst, and very dishonest. I'm glad you're moving away from it.

Legends
14-09-07, 13:50
If your friends are treating you bad, or something in that area, I think the right thing to do is standing up to them. That way you can deal with the problem and move on. Every friendship has it's bumps.

Tomb Raider Master
14-09-07, 14:52
A real friendship should not be shaken for even a little bit because of a simple disagreement in opinions. So if you think you recognized yourself in this sentence, go right ahead - everyone is entitled to say their opinion.

Encore
14-09-07, 14:57
I have lost friendships in the past because of being too honest. I regret it now and I think I should have kept my thoughts to myself. But I guess it all depends on the situation. I think you did the right thing, troy_tr, clearly it's what both of you needed.

nicola1986
14-09-07, 14:59
You can't win please everyone nicola. You have to follow your heart and what you believe because that is what really matters to you. I'm not saying we shouldn't care about other people, you just have to believe in yourself and have a strong will.:)

Thanks, that's good advice :)

This "pleasing the other person" is actually a form of passive aggression, it's conflict avoidance at its worst, and very dishonest. I'm glad you're moving away from it.

Yes me too, it was a trying time to say the least, though it was more to do with the fact that I was too anxious to get my point across because I had very low confidence and thought other people had more right to speak than I did. Which is ridiculous, but I'm moving on like I said :)

Joe_16
14-09-07, 15:00
I have a friend who was very enjoyable to speak to when he was on his own, but as soon as some of his other friends were around, he turned into a bit of an idiot. I had it out with him and he hasn't done it since :)