PDA

View Full Version : How did you discover tomb raider?

trXD
15-09-07, 01:13
Title says all

I got hooked on tr when my sister had it. She was on it all day and i was wondering what the big deal about it was so i had a go and became hooked aswell! Although i was 4 so i only got past the first level (The jumps were hard because i wasnt aware of the grid system). Over the years i collected more tomb raiders as they came out and became better as i grew up even though i was still pretty bad until aod

Most of my memories of tr1 is watching my sister play on it and being really excited! It was just as good as playing it for me when i was 4 so i didnt mind

So i have sort of been there since the begining despite my age

bloodstormaoa
15-09-07, 01:15
Through a friends brother in 1996

Eddie Haskell
15-09-07, 01:19
I thought it was Toby Gard that discovered it? ;)

petujaymz
15-09-07, 01:19
My brother borrowed a copy of TR2 in 1998.

His PS1 became mine...

:wve:

Jensie17
15-09-07, 01:22
walked pass by a gameshop and see a sexy woman on the box, so i bought it

myrmaad
15-09-07, 01:22
When I bought my PS1 in '97, I bought two games to play on it. I had been seeing TR1 for the computer for about a year, and a voracious reader, I had read a few bits and pieces about it being a good game. So I bought TR2 mostly based on the box, and the reviews for TR1. I don't even remember the other game.

gtkilla
15-09-07, 01:23
Sister had bought TR1 for PC(in '96) and I use to play it, though I didn't really get into it until I played the TR3 demo on the PS demo disc.

Hyper_Crazy
15-09-07, 01:24
My brother let me play TR1 when he got it in 1996.

I swear I've seen this thread before lol.

Sam The Man
15-09-07, 01:28
my mate had bought tr1 for the saturn around the 9th of december but he wasnt getting his saturn until christmas 96 and so he brought it around mine and showed me it and i had totally not thought of buying it. When i first controlled lara i thought wow terrible unresponsive controls but after 30 mins or so i was totally used to it. He told me that seeing as he wasnt getting his Saturn untill christmas day i could borrow it until xmas. I played it pretty much every day after school until the 23rd or so when i gave it him back and bought a copy for myself with my xmas money

Eddie Haskell
15-09-07, 01:29
I happened to run into this guy in a pub in London and told him my idea for a great adventure game with a female lead character. His name was Tony something...or Jody...Oh I remember it was Toby, yeah that's it! ;)

Actually as I have stated a few times I was reluctant to play it because I did not want to be a female in a game, but after reading about it in PC Gamer I bought it. Glad I did. :D

tranniversary119
15-09-07, 01:30
I used to go over my mom's friends house and her son was my brothers age (older than me) so she told me i could play playstation and i saw the cover TR II so i played it and everytime we went over i played lmfao. So obsessed that she told me the playstation broke.

oocladableeblah
15-09-07, 01:33
idk how I discovered tr I probably just bought it randomly and got hooked.

trXD
15-09-07, 01:34
I thought it was Toby Gard that discovered it? ;)

Yes i supose he discovered it but we also discovered it without making it

Twilight
15-09-07, 02:20
my uncle & dad used to play it. they dont really anymore more tho.

MiCkiZ88
15-09-07, 02:24
lol there's been multiple ones :D

I played TRIII nevada demo in 98, later that spring/summer I bought TR II :)

Indiana Croft
15-09-07, 02:29
2006. I saw TRL in a store. The box art caught my attention immediately. I was aware of TR at the time, but I never thought anything of it. But I saw the box art and thought, "wow, she's hot. I gotta play that game now." I looked it up on the internet, then I bought the game on December 26th, 2006. I remember that day as the day that changed my life. I guess the only reason I remember that day was for one, it was the day after christmas and two, it was the day where protestant african-americans everywhere feel a mass guilt over not not celebrating kwanza.:vlol:

Mr.Burns
15-09-07, 02:45
Christmas 1996, I was working at an electronics store, saw the game and thought, "Meh, could be fun." :D

kooky
15-09-07, 02:47
When I was a little boy, I used to watch my older brother play Tomb Raider II on PS, Today I play TR games on PC & I love Them! :jmp:

Akhenaton
15-09-07, 04:41
When I decided to upgrade my graphics and sound cards to play another video game Angel of Death came bundled with the drivers. I've been hooked on TR ever since! As for the game I bought the hardware for in the first place? I never play it. :p

vespertea
15-09-07, 07:17
My dad bought me a copy on his way home from London.

hera7days
15-09-07, 07:47
My bro's friend had some collection of game demos, and TR3's High Security Compound was on it. I didn't like it at the time, because there were enemies. That could kill me.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 07:58
Played Tomb Raider I at my friend's birthday in 96. :)

Tomb Raider Master
15-09-07, 08:09
My friend showed me his copy of Chronicles. I remember us making our way through the levels like it was yesterday.

Beanz
15-09-07, 08:36
I happened to run into this guy in a pub in London and told him my idea for a great adventure game with a female lead character. His name was Tony something...or Jody...Oh I remember it was Toby, yeah that's it! ;)

Actually as I have stated a few times I was reluctant to play it because I did not want to be a female in a game, but after reading about it in PC Gamer I bought it. Glad I did. :D

*Cough*SEXIST!*cough* :madL

Whne my brother was down from Manchester, he brought some games down, one of them was tomb raider, and ever since then I have been hooked to the series :). I think this was back in '96

knutroald
15-09-07, 08:37
Through the movie:)

maximum_123
15-09-07, 08:40
My brother let me play TR1 when he got it in 1996.

Same and Same! :p

tampi
15-09-07, 08:46
By video-games magazines. TRII demo. :)

touchmyheart
15-09-07, 09:10
Through a friend of mine. At the time, she had a PS1 and I didnt so I was over there evey other day! We played TR3 mostly :D

Alex Fly
15-09-07, 09:27
By a demo of TRIII in a pc videogames magazine. :)

badboy70
15-09-07, 09:31
I got TR 3 with a PC :p

lillyc
15-09-07, 09:31
I went to a video-game store and asked a guy from there what games should I buy.He recommended me Legend and I fell in love with TR.

Marija_Croft
15-09-07, 10:03
My dad played TR III on PlayStation and I instantly fell in love with it. :)

Valixia
15-09-07, 10:21
I borrowed TR1 from my neighbours and fell in love with it <3

VonCroy360
15-09-07, 10:29
My sister got TR2 but couldn't get past Opera House.
I tried to get it for her and was hooked. :)

nicola1986
15-09-07, 10:30
An old friend borrowed me his Sega Saturn and a TR game and once I'd tried it I was hooked! :D

NemesisxAngelus
15-09-07, 10:32
I guess it was my cousin on his birthday party playing TR2 on his PS1.

in these arms
15-09-07, 10:34
My mum got TR1 for my dad, say 2 years after it came out, I used to watch him play it..Nearly the whole house squeezed into one room :D just to watch dad die every time he saw the T-Rex.

Shortly after that I got TR2 my dad got stuck at the Gauntlet on the first level! I was sleeping over at my cousins one time, he had TR3 as I think about it now I remembered the slide at the begining of Jungle, and the spiked pits and the boulder.

From then I grew up with TR slowly. Got 6 of the 8 games, and I still suck at them. :D

kill bill
15-09-07, 10:35
Hmm.... In 1997 my Sister bought Tomb Raider II I was hooked on it more then my sister and Actually passed the ocean jail place where my sister couldn't get the guns!!! Corner bugs those days so inisint. Then In 1998 My Mum Bought me Tomb Raider III Which I passed on my own (rather than when my sister got the cheat to get me out of that prision). In 1999 I bought TR1 and TR4 for my birthday along with a bike. And in 2000 <TR chronicles in 2003 AOD 2006 Legend 2007 Anniversary

Little-Lara
15-09-07, 11:37
I had a demo version of TRII along with some other games from a cereal box. (if I remember correctly)

TRII was the only game that worked properly. :vlol: LMAO.

Earthcane
15-09-07, 11:52
One word: Media! I first heard of Lara Croft on the tv. Remeber those Lucosade ads??
I bought the Gameboy game, then TR2, and have never looked back since!!

Lara Croft!
15-09-07, 12:26
TRII was in demo one in my at the time brand new PS1, I was in 5th or 6th grade

ShadyCroft
15-09-07, 13:02
Back in 1998,I was with an old friend in a video game store (I was probably 9 years old), he pointed at the cover of a game. I saw this beautiful girl holding guns, I was interested to know what that game was. When we went to buy games (me and my brother) from a shop close by, my bro bought Dunes and I bought a Disney game. My bro couldnt play Dunes so I offered to return it and get something else. I went back to the shop and by luck I found the same game again (It was TRIII), I took it immediatley and went back home to try it. I was hooked the minute I saw this girl with guns strapped to her thighs, running around in a beautiful 3D jungle, with monkeys and tigers. My bro didnt play it at all, it was all me, and I forgot all about the Disney game. Then I bought TRII (I couldnt find 1 at the time) then followed the franchise (Lost Artifact, 4 , 5, AOD, Legend, Anniversary), and I managed to find TRI gold, TRII gold and TRI after I had bought TR4 and I played them all, finished them all and LOVE THEM TO DEATH!

Dakaruch
15-09-07, 13:48
it wqas back in 2000, i got a Laptop PC in that time, and one of my cousins(not paperdoll though:pi:) lend me his copy of TR3...i got so addicted that i could only think of Tomb Raider and then i got TR2, then TR4, then TR5, then AoD, then Legend, then anniversary, and recently thanks to dollie, i got TR1 :D
that's the story :vlol:

Anajrob
15-09-07, 13:49

* imagines fragging him for being such a sexist * :pi:

Dad bought me the TR1 - That's it :p

Eddie Haskell
15-09-07, 14:06
* imagines fragging him for being such a sexist * :pi:

Dad bought me the TR1 - That's it :p

It's not sexist to not want to play as a female. If there would have been a choice of characters I'm sure many would rather have played as a male. But as I said, the game overcame this "obstacle" for me and made playing as a bosomy woman palatable. ;)

Rivendell
15-09-07, 14:13
In the back of a caravan on a cold autumn night, cheesed off because I had to watch my bro play this game called "Tomb Raider" instead of AVP like I wanted.

I'm so glad he chose to play TR first! :D

Laurencarter
15-09-07, 14:29
A friend introduced it to me and my sister.