PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft Wants to Buy Lara Croft? Byebye Eidos/CD?

Risak
15-09-07, 11:00
I think this is the right place to post this, if not move.

"Ubisoft Wants to Buy Lara Croft? Rumored bidder could spur more interest.

Lara Croft to move to France? Ubisoft seems very interested in the Tomb Raider franchise, which is a good thing because they rock and everything they touch turns to freaking gold."

"Ah, corporate takeovers, they make the business world go round. SCI Entertainment, owner of Eidos, has confirmed to The Guardian that they’ve received a bid for their company, the second instance in just two years. It’s believed the bid came from the French company Ubisoft, possibly looking to add Tomb Raider to its portfolio. Though a bid approach would mean Ubisoft is interested, SCi attributes their dropping stock to the PlayStation 3 launch delay and that Ubisoft’s rumored bid could simply be an opportunistic move — to them, if the option’s there, why not?"

Here’s the source.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162560

BTW, Ubisoft is the company that is coming with....Assassin's Creed .... they also released Resident Evil 4, Tom Clancy Rainbow series, Call of Juarez, Ghost Recon series, Dark Messiah, Devil May Cry series, etc. :o

Naz2000
15-09-07, 11:05
Interesting, but the only Ubisoft games I have ever played are Rayman and Street Racers, they were really good so I can't say I am displeased

trXD
15-09-07, 11:06
I somehow hate the idea of any more changes happening in who owns lara

Alex Fly
15-09-07, 11:08
It has already been discussed in this thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=107138).

Also, you can check this too (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=106851).

:wve:

tomblover
15-09-07, 11:08
Ubisoft, you say?

Yes, please! :jmp:

b0bb13
15-09-07, 11:09
That's old news.In August I think,Ubisoft said that they aren't interested.But EA or others could buy the TR franchise.So TR8 could be the last CD game.:(
If EA buys TR,Lara could be the new NFS chick.:whi:

tomblover
15-09-07, 11:09
EA? No thanks. xD

KurtisLonely
15-09-07, 11:12
Ubi? YEAH!!!! :D

I've played rayman and all the prince of persia games, so I love ubisoft, and since TRA is allready PoP lookalike I think it's a great idea

b0bb13
15-09-07, 11:15
EA? No thanks. xD

Oh YES!!!:mis:

The New Lara Croft:vlol:

http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/images8/MTS2_354272_Flpprs49_Lara_Croft3.JPG

larson n natla
15-09-07, 11:16
:oI sorta baffled about it i dont know i dont patcularly h8 the idea but i dont like ti eithere but we shall see .......

Little-Lara
15-09-07, 11:45
So, to me it sounds like, first she was English, then American, and now she's gonna be French??!! Isn't that so weird, she's gonna be leaving mansions and manors all over the place. :vlol:

Also, I absolutely, positively, genuinely hate corporate take-overs and "mergers." Mergers are a lame suck-up term for basically a take-over. I think that companies who make offers are probably and ALREADY ready for a take-over!!!!

The last "retail" job I worked for was very good at it. They took over one of the largest brands in the US!! So sad. Imagine you start a company with your bare hands..... and another company could just come and take it away----how? I dunno :o

trXD
15-09-07, 11:46
So, to me it sounds like, first she was English, then American, and now she's gonna be French??!! Isn't that so weird, she's gonna be leaving mansions and manors all over the place. :vlol:

She never turned american she was always english! She just started being developed my americans

tomblover
15-09-07, 11:47

http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/images8/MTS2_354272_Flpprs49_Lara_Croft3.JPG 1 million The Sims expansions, starring Lara Croft! :D <--- EA

Ew. :cen: <--- Me

Little-Lara
15-09-07, 11:52
She never turned american she was always english! She just started being developed my americans

Uhhh, if you're gonna be nit-picking...:p fine, I'll make a better joke:

She's English, and did some overseas traveling in America while still being an English citizen. But now she might completely move to France. <---Better?

*disclaimer...I hope she does not move, it'll be weird to get used to, she's too classic and popular, and her roots are not for sale. :p

trXD
15-09-07, 11:55
Uhhh, if you're gonna be nit-picking...:p fine, I'll make a better joke:

She's English, and did some overseas traveling in America while still being an English citizen. But now she might completely move to France. <---Better?

*disclaimer...I hope she does not move, it'll be weird to get used to, she's too classic and popular, and her roots are not for sale. :p

just to be nit-picking

she still lives in england she just travells to bolivia, japan, ghana, kasakstan and nepal now:D

Little-Lara
15-09-07, 11:57
/\ right, right. :cln: ..... :tmb:

trXD
15-09-07, 12:01

lol i can imagine that

Tomb raider: Life stories

Summary: Help lara grow up from a baby into an adult and pursue her dreams and wants! But be careful not to let her go hungry! Maybe she will have a baby? Or maybe she will get married? Who knows?

lita212
15-09-07, 23:55
lara will stay with cd until they decide to hand over her to a new company. cd wouldnt be stupid enough to give up lara since she will make them millions and they will do everything in their power to keep her and tombraider.

PARANOIA
15-09-07, 23:58
lara will stay with cd until they decide to hand over her to a new company. cd wouldnt be stupid enough to give up lara since she will make them millions and they will do everything in their power to keep her and tombraider.

:pi: News flash: CD isn't the one that makes that kind of decision. Eidos does. CD is just a medium.

tweetygwee
16-09-07, 00:03
Ubi? YEAH!!!! :D

I've played rayman and all the prince of persia games, so I love ubisoft, and since TRA is allready PoP lookalike I think it's a great idea

Ultra ditto! My thoughts summed up!

Reggie
16-09-07, 00:05
What I wouldn't give for Kronos to have made a TR. Unfortunately they were fired by Eidos :(

Anyway, I think it would be best there weren't any drastic changes for now. Too much has happened these last few years and the dust is yet to settle, I think.

oocladableeblah
16-09-07, 00:06
No I don't want anymore developer change.

Eddie Haskell
16-09-07, 00:14

I do. And don't. I have zero faith that CD can make a game that that can make me feel like I did when I played the classics. But then again, I don't have much faith in almost any other developer either.

Legends
16-09-07, 00:23
That's never gonna happen. Eidos would never sell Tomb Raider.

2kool4u
16-09-07, 00:26
That would be pretty damn good though these people are making Assasins Creed!

Twilight
16-09-07, 00:29
depends on how long eido$ can milk lara-the-cash-cow.

maybe then ubi will "re-reinvent lara/tr" or put something lik "classic lara/tr's back!"

Jensie17
16-09-07, 00:54
dont think greedy Eidos will sell Lara since she's a money maker machine for them :/unless Ubi pay really good

tranniversary119
16-09-07, 01:26

Ditto. I really doubt anybody else is getting tomb raider. It probally was just a thought.

Jin Uzuki
16-09-07, 02:02
If I were Eidos, I'd hold on to the Tomb Raider rights. Just the same, it's something very profitable, so if I were Ubi Soft, I'd do my best to acquire the rights to Tomb Raider and make it one helluva game once it launches under my aegis so people would know Lara Croft made the right move.

the hooliganz
16-09-07, 03:30
Me too, the only change I like is when TR goes back to Core

As for Ubisoft, if they however acquire Tomb Raider, make a sequel to Tomb Raider: AOD!

Mona Sax
16-09-07, 09:34
Guys... this isn't just about the TR rights. Whoever's behind the approach plans to buy the entire SCi company, with Eidos, the TR IP and everything else they own. Eidos won't get to decide whether they want to sell TR or not - they themselves are going to be bought. The buyer can do with Eidos and TR whatever they want. The only ones that could prevent it are the current owners of SCi - the shareholders.

Beanz
16-09-07, 09:38
I somehow hate the idea of any more changes happening in who owns lara

Same. She belongs in the arms of CORE :(..... It's either them or Crystal, somehow, Rayman just doesnt seem very Tomb raider.

luckygchi
16-09-07, 10:39
i would like it but then again i would like to have core back but i don't mind with ubisoft they put alot of work into games.

One Lara
16-09-07, 11:03
I think Ubisoft confirmed that they aren't interested a while ago.

xcrushterx
16-09-07, 11:37

That won't happen even if EA take over :p

Maxis develop the sims, not EA :p (EA just publish it)

lita212
16-09-07, 11:43
Guys... this isn't just about the TR rights. Whoever's behind the approach plans to buy the entire SCi company, with Eidos, the TR IP and everything else they own. Eidos won't get to decide whether they want to sell TR or not - they themselves are going to be bought. The buyer can do with Eidos and TR whatever they want. The only ones that could prevent it are the current owners of SCi - the shareholders.

a buyer cant buy something without the other persons consent otherwise it would lead to loads of court cases etc. the only way lara and the company can be bought is cd will have to agree to sell everything to them and also this ubisoft cant decide how much they want to pay to buy lara etc, its upto cd to decide how much they want in order to sell her and believe me it will be so big that ubisoft pobs couldnt afford it. i think people who are getting worried about this are being silly as this ubisoft company cant buy lara just like that. if that was the case then everyone in the world would be rich lol
yes they say they plan to buy the company but just because they have planned it doesnt mean they will get it

_Lam
16-09-07, 12:09
If Ubisoft buy her, she won't be French but Canadian. Because the most successfull Ubisoft Studio is in Montreal I think (POP, Assasin's Creed...) :D

Joe_16
16-09-07, 12:12
Interesting stuff.

troy tr
16-09-07, 12:55
That's never gonna happen. Eidos would never sell Tomb Raider. That's what happened to the original company of Prince of Persia. They never thought they would sell their succesful franchise to Ubisoft but it happened. They can't cope up with the hardship. The one with the money and power can walk the talk.

Rivendell
16-09-07, 13:25
a buyer cant buy something without the other persons consent otherwise it would lead to loads of court cases etc. the only way lara and the company can be bought is cd will have to agree to sell everything to them

It goes like this.

Sci>Eidos>Crystal

Sci are the ones in take-over talks (allegedly), neither Crystal nor Eidos have a say in the matter. Whoever (might) buy Sci, gets everything Sci owns, which includes Eidos, Crystal, and games including Tomb Raider.

Like the Hitman series, Deus ex, Legacy of Kain etc.

This whole thing isn't just a matter of one company buying TR from Crystal Dynamics.

Veronica Ma
16-09-07, 13:38
If Ubisoft buy her, she won't be French but Canadian. Because the most successfull Ubisoft Studio is in Montreal I think (POP, Assasin's Creed...) :DWoohoo! Yes, Lara... come to Canada! :vlol:

Ubisoft made the Myst Series, so I wouldn't mind a Myst inspired Tomb Raider at all. In fact, I think that would make an awesome combination. :jmp:

Dingaling
16-09-07, 13:49
I think Ubisoft confirmed that they aren't interested a while ago.

They did :). But it seems to have gone unnoticed!

myrmaad
16-09-07, 14:24
They did :). But it seems to have gone unnoticed!

No. They did not say that they were "uninterested" at all.

It was a standard public relations double-speak non-response. Only those naive and unfamiliar with standard business practices would have accepted it on face value.

It wasn't even an official statement.

An unnamed Ubisoft source has denied speculation that the publisher is eyeing a buyout of UK-based Tomb Raider house SCi Entertainment.

“We are not in discussion with SCi Entertainment any more than we are with any other company in the industry,” the source told the Financial Times.

Only a complete dolt would accept that as gospel.

Mona Sax
16-09-07, 14:34
a buyer cant buy something without the other persons consent otherwise it would lead to loads of court cases etc.
Obviously, but the point is that the 'other person' is SCi's shareholders (i.e. the owners of SCi), not Eidos or even Crystal Dynamics. Both Eidos and Crystal Dynamics are just subsidiaries of SCi, so whoever buys an amount of SCi shares that allows them to control the company also controls Eidos and Crystal Dynamics. As Rivendell said, Eidos and Crystal Dynamics have absolutely nothing to say in the matter, neither does SCi's board of directors (unless they also own a majority of stock - don't know about that). They're not the ones who are selling something, they're the ones who are being bought! Besides, even if somebody wanted to only buy the TR IP without actually taking over SCi, they'd have to go to the latter. They own the rights, not Eidos or Crystal Dynamics.

Short point being, if SCi's shareholders decide to sell, TR has a new owner, believe it or not. That's the way company law works.

Lara Croft!
16-09-07, 14:41
As long as the games are good, I don't care who will be the owner.

troy tr
16-09-07, 14:51
I so hope Tomb Raider gone to Ubisoft, it'll be in better hands :)

NightWish
16-09-07, 16:28
I thin that THIS may return the series to its rot FINALLY.

But Eidos would never sell TR. As you know - Eidos IS tomb raider

Mona Sax
16-09-07, 19:28
But Eidos would never sell TR. As you know - Eidos IS tomb raider
As mentioned several times now - whoever is behind the possible takeover doesn't just want to buy TR. They want to buy SCi, the company that owns Eidos. The latter can't decide anything here. They don't even own TR anymore, SCi has the rights now.

NightWish
16-09-07, 19:40
Really? ubisoft can do that? Do they have the money because the last ubisoft news I remember was that EA were doing their best to buy ubisoft? Isnt eidos a bigger company then ubisoft?

trXD
16-09-07, 19:45
What does sci even do? Cos its CD that makes the games and eidos that decides what games are going to be made... i think

Mona Sax
16-09-07, 19:50
Here are Ubisoft's numbers (from Wikipedia):

Revenue: €538 million sales FY2004-05
Operating income: €41.4 million
Net income: €27.2 million FY 2004-05 (before goodwill amortization)
Employees: over 3500, 1760 in production tasks at the 1/20/2005

And SCi's:

Revenue: £179.1 million GBP (2006)
Operating income: £28.8 million GBP (2006)
Net income: £8.1 million GBP (2006)
Employees: 600

Unfortunately, they're not from the same financial year, but Ubisoft is clearly the bigger and probably also the more successful company. SCi's stock price (that's the thing that decides how expensive buying the company is going to be) has also plummeted recently due to problems adapting to next gen consoles. Besides, sometimes small companies - which Ubisoft definitely isn't - are able to take over larger rivals. SCi, for example, was smaller than Eidos when they bought them.

myrmaad
16-09-07, 19:56
Eidos has mismanaged their books to the extent that they are now owned by another company, the frequently aforementioned SCi. SCi, the owner of Eidos, has recently reported major financial setbacks, therefore the wolves circling. If SCi was in strong financial shape they'd be able to fend off buyers/corporate takeovers. The difference between a buyout and takeover is the amount of hostility involved, the talks are to negotiate a friendly buyout where everyone feels like they got a good deal. A hostile takeover on the other hand is when there's no choice left in the matter because the target company is in need of a financial bailout. The picture, therefore is not that bad for SCi at the moment, but they did report major losses in June, having overshot their dependence on PS2 sales, (if I recall correctly -- it is addressed specifically in the other thread in the games forum.) That loss was a projected 15million pounds, off my head that's coming near $30 million US. And there were some other difficulties reported as well.

Now where was I? Oh yes: Ubisoft.

Well Ubisoft recently did some major unloading of their investments, deciding that they wanted to take the company "in another direction". In other words, they just made a lot of money.

Here's the story:
"Ubisoft sells stake in Gameloft
Tuesday, July 17th, 2007

Ubisoft has announced that they have sold their stake of shares in Gameloft.

The 13 million shares were sold to Calyon, Crédit Agricole Group’s Corporate and Investment Bank, with an agreement that Caylon will sell the shares on the market within 24 months.

“The video game market offers numerous internal and external growth opportunities. We have therefore decided to sell our stake in Gameloft in order to focus on Ubisoft’s expansion and strengthen our ability to seize all such growth opportunities,” said Yves Guillemot, Ubisoft CEO. “Following this sale Ubisoft and Gameloft will continue their productive collaboration at a purely operational level, particularly concerning the utilization of Ubisoft’s brands on mobile phones.”

myrmaad
16-09-07, 19:58
Besides, sometimes small companies - which Ubisoft definitely isn't - are able to take over larger rivals. SCi, for example, was smaller than Eidos when they bought them.

Yes, exactly Mona, it's about positioning yourself with cash for an opportunity like the one Eidos presented when they dug themselves into a financial hole.