PDA

View Full Version : What's an emo? XD

Anajrob
15-09-07, 16:32
I have receantly heard of this - ok not so receantly, but I really don't what it is :vlol: :o :p

So - What do you think it is?

I found this pic, but don't look at it because it could be offensive:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/jbates725/emo.jpg

Is this a joke, or what? But I saw some people looking like this :vlol:

Lavinder
15-09-07, 16:34
Click Me (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo) ;)

Hyper_Crazy
15-09-07, 16:35
Emo is a type of music and a type of fashion, although people use it to stereotype a person that is depressed, has black hair etc..

Anajrob
15-09-07, 16:35
Click Me (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo) ;)

Ok - but what do you think?

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 16:36
Emo's are lame fools just like described in the picture you posted, Anajrob. :p

remote91
15-09-07, 16:37
Emo stands for 'Emotional'. Eugh they make me cringe with their attitude on how the world is out to get them and their daft hair styles.

Lavinder
15-09-07, 16:38
I personally think everything said in that link is right, although most "scene kids" are put in the same category as emo, although most "scene kids" are happy.

Legend of Lara
15-09-07, 16:38
There's the emo trend ("emo" clothes and bands like My Chemical Romance) and the emo stereotype (depression). ;)

tombraider123
15-09-07, 16:39
Emo's are all attention seekers imo :)

NightWish
15-09-07, 16:39
everytime i see an emo i make an assissiation with some of the badly drawn japamnese animes with the weird hair and all... i dont like it. i dont ee wjhy a person should make a clown of himself

Dakaruch
15-09-07, 16:49
emo's are wrist cutters, attention seekers that listen to ****y comercial bands like my chemical romance:wve:

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 16:49
emo's are wrist cutters, attention seekers that listen to ****y comercial bands like my chemical romance:wve:I know for a fact you're gonna get abuse for saying that, but I agree. :p

findme
15-09-07, 16:52
Emo is a type of music and a type of fashion, although people use it to stereotype a person that is depressed, has black hair etc..

Not just fashion and overall appearance. It's a personality/ personality trait.

Lavinder
15-09-07, 16:52
emo's are wrist cutters, attention seekers that listen to ****y comercial bands like my chemical romance:wve:

They usually scratch repeatedly and squeeze hoping for blood - I know this sounds mean, but some girl at my school was doing it before, and when she had the sharpener razor above her wrist, I moved my hand as if to push it down, she literally freaked out :p

myrmaad
15-09-07, 16:53
(dirty secret): I've never heard "my chemical romance"!

remote91
They usually scratch repeatedly and squeeze hoping for blood - I know this sounds mean, but some girl at my school was doing it before, and when she had the sharpener razor above her wrist, I moved my hand as if to push it down, she literally freaked out :p

You'd think if they were going to cut then they'd do a proper job of it!

Dakaruch
I know for a fact you're gonna get abuse for saying that, but I agree. :p

what type of abuse?:mis: XD
still this is the true imo

2kool4u
15-09-07, 16:54
4nRNYG_xM2U

;)

MiCkiZ88
15-09-07, 16:56
^ is that supposed to be funny? I kinda agree with Hyper_Crazy.. But I dunno. I don't think of myself as an Emo if I listen to 'emo bands' and wear 'emo' style clothing.

2kool4u
15-09-07, 16:57
^ is that supposed to be funny? I kinda agree with Hyper_Crazy.. But I dunno. I don't think of myself as an Emo if I listen to 'emo bands' and wear 'emo' style clothing.

thats the general description of what people think is emo. And of course it is!

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 16:58
4nRNYG_xM2U

;)That cracks me up every time! :vlol: :D

MiCkiZ88
15-09-07, 16:59
thats the general description of what people think is emo. And of course it is!I've seen it way too many times and I think it's just a lame way to make fun out of emo's. Not funny at all. :)

2kool4u
15-09-07, 17:00
I've seen it way too many times and I think it's just a lame way to make fun out of emo's. Not funny at all. :)

Wow ive only seen it twice.

RickÚh
15-09-07, 17:00

Lol, I agree. :p

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 17:02
I've seen it way too many times and I think it's just a lame way to make fun out of emo's. Not funny at all. :)How is it a lame way to make fun of emo's? :confused:

Voni
15-09-07, 17:02
Guys, can we please not make jokes about self harm? I know it appears to be attention seeking, but it's really a symptom of a deeper problem. Take it from an ex-harmer.

Dakaruch
15-09-07, 17:03
I've seen it way too many times and I think it's just a lame way to make fun out of emo's. Not funny at all. :)

if emos were not such a good for nothing people that only seek attention by doing the stupidest things that they can imagine, then i would agree with you! but since they do stupidest things to seek attention...

RickÚh
15-09-07, 17:04
I think they're scary.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 17:06
Guys, can we please not make jokes about self harm? I know it appears to be attention seeking, but it's really a symptom of a deeper problem. Take it from an ex-harmer.It's only a bit of light-hearted fun. :)

Mr.Burns
15-09-07, 17:10
It's only a bit of light-hearted fun. :)

That's a matter of perspective. To you it may be light hearted fun, to those that have suffered with such issues, it's a painful reminder.

At any rate, Never encountered "emos" but it's probably just another generational fad.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 17:12
That's a matter of perspective. To you it may be light hearted fun, to those that have suffered with such issues, it's a painful reminder.
But why do people self-harm in the first place? :confused: How is physically damaging your own body gonna help you?

Voni
15-09-07, 17:12

At any rate, Never encountered "emos" but it's probably just another generational fad.

You put it better than I could. The last scene in that 'Tickle Me Emo' video shook me up a bit, although I do understand that it was done in jest.

MiCkiZ88
15-09-07, 17:13
How can making fun on someone elses suffering (be it mental or physical) be fun? Unless the harm is absolutely hilarious like in those funny home videos. But self harm is not something to laugh about. I imagine you being next to someone who's about to cut themselves or commit suicide and just laughing ''Haa haa. Idiot!''.

Voni
15-09-07, 17:14
But why do people self-harm in the first place? :confused: How is physically damaging your own body gonna help you?

Double post, forgive me.

It's a coping mechanism. If a 'normal' person is upset or stressed, they can vent their feelings in many different ways. If someone self harms, it's because they don't have the coping mechanisms others do, so they take it out on themselves. It's a way of dealing with some pretty horrible stuff.

Mr.Burns
15-09-07, 17:15

Not sure. I'm not a psychologist but my guess is it's partly a need for attention or an addiction to self infliction. Some people get satisfaction from self inflicted pain.

Deepthought
15-09-07, 17:17
I don't get why people make such a big deal about this. If you don't like them and you think that they are attention seeking then just ignore them :p

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 17:18
How can making fun on someone elses suffering (be it mental or physical) be fun?Well, if the person in question bought it upon them self (I'm talking about self-harm here). It depends what context it is. In the case of emo stuff/cutting wrists etc, I find it funny.

MiCkiZ88
15-09-07, 17:20
Oh, so if it would be a 'normal' person instead of an emo, who would be cutting his/her wrist. It wouldn't be funny then?

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 17:21
Oh, so if it would be a 'normal' person instead of an emo, who would be cutting his/her wrist. It wouldn't be funny then?I never said. I'd most likely find it funny whoever it was. Providing of course they bring it upon themselves. If somebody gets hurt and it's not some sort of hilarious accident and they had no control over it then I don't find it funny.

Mr.Burns
15-09-07, 17:21
Well, if the person in question bought it upon them self (I'm talking about self-harm here). It depends what context it is. In the case of emo stuff/cutting wrists etc, I find it funny.

So you find the self infliction of pain and injury on a person to be funny? Interesting.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 17:22
So you find the self infliction of pain and injury on a person to be funny? Interesting.Like I said, depends on the context. I find it most hilarious when people do it deliberately because they're bored or something, not depressed.

Anajrob
15-09-07, 17:24

I agree :tmb: - But it can't be that every person which is "emo" cut themselves!?

Deepthought
15-09-07, 17:26
Cutting ones wrist sounds painfull :yik:

Dakaruch
15-09-07, 17:26
normally an emo is not depressed, they seem to do it only because it is considered "cool"

Veronica Ma
15-09-07, 17:27
Just my opinion... trying to imagine why one would self-inflict pain but perhaps it is to divert attention away from chaotic painful thoughts and towards physical pain. Not the best way to deal with, of course.

MiCkiZ88
15-09-07, 17:27
Like I said, depends on the context. I find it most hilarious when people do it deliberately because they're bored or something, not depressed.
Err.. I'd like to hear proof that people do that cause they are bored. I've had two friends who were seriously depressed. Did drugs and eventually cutted their wrist. One of them passed away.

Pain takes your mind away from other things. Some just find it as an pleasure.

Voni
15-09-07, 17:28
Just my opinion... trying to imagine why one would self-inflict pain but perhaps it is to divert attention away from chaotic painful thoughts and towards physical pain. Not the best way to deal with, of course.

Agreed.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 17:29
Err.. I'd like to hear proof that people do that cause they are bored.
Well not bored, I can't really explain it with one word.

You know, Jackass sort of stuff. Where they self harm for a laugh.

Oh, and self harming to take your mind of other things? Sure, but why not just occupy yourself with other things such as schoolwork etc? Self harming is foolish IMO.

Voni
15-09-07, 17:30

I understand what you're getting at. 'Proper' self harm is when someone hurts themselves (and it's not always cutting) to try and deal with emotions they feel they cannot cope with. That's not what you're finding funny, so I feel better about it now.

BtoFu
15-09-07, 17:31
Sunny Day Real Estate, Envy, Modest Mouse, The Promise Ring for starters. It has little or nothing to do with 'anime hair' - that's one example out of a collective of ropey ideas assembled by those who obviously know nothing about the trend.

MiCkiZ88
15-09-07, 17:32

Oh, and self harming to take your mind of other things? Sure, but why not just occupy yourself with other things such as schoolwork etc? Self harming is foolish IMO.
Just for a laugh. How can pain be a laugh!
Do you know anyone who has done that? Because I doubt you do.

*sigh* It's hard trying to explain it to you. Lets just say.. it's the last option.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 17:32
I understand what you're getting at. 'Proper' self harm is when someone hurts themselves (and it's not always cutting) to try and deal with emotions they feel they cannot cope with. That's not what you're finding funny, so I feel better about it now.Well, when emo's cut their wrists, I find it funny. And I do frown upon self harm in general. Don't always find it funny.

@Micki: Well, yes, actually. I know someone at school who sometimes cuts his wrists for the fun of it, mainly because he's making fun of emo's. :p

And there are loads of cases of this. There's thousands of internet videos with people harming themselves in stupid ways.

MiCkiZ88
15-09-07, 17:40
@Micki: Well, yes, actually. I know someone at school who sometimes cuts his wrists for the fun of it, mainly because he's making fun of emo's. :p

And there are loads of cases of this. There's thousands of internet videos with people harming themselves in stupid ways.
Okay.. I see your point. That is attention whorism. A really really lame way of getting it. But I'm talking about proper self harm. People who suffer about depression and are thus classified as emo's. It's not something to laugh about. I'd rather encourage them to live their live than laugh at them.

That's the reason I don't find any kind of self harm funny.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 17:41
Okay.. I see your point. That is attention whorism. A really really lame way of getting it. But I'm talking about proper self harm. People who suffer about depression and are thus classified as emo's. It's not something to laugh about. I'd rather encourage them to live their live than laugh at them.I don't laugh at the serious cases, but I don't have any sympathy either.

Lavinder
15-09-07, 17:50
Yeah I do feel for serious harmer's, and I can see where they are coming from when they do it - but when I see people at school do it purely to look "individual", therefore seeking everyone's attention and putting the spotlight on them.

Take my friend Kat for example : scratched all her arm with razors and burnt her arm with her straighteners. Everyone at school was being deadly serious about it, and putting on the whole concerned act while I'm seeing her walking around lapping it up, having a laugh with her friends, and putting on the fake persona whenever she needed to.

Cord_Croft
15-09-07, 18:10
What is emo? Like a Goth, only much less dark and much more Harry Potter.

Anywho, I do feel for people who are generally 'emotional' like doing their wrists/arms in..

Lavinder
15-09-07, 18:11
What is emo?

Reading the thread might help :p

CuteKittenlol
15-09-07, 18:14
What is emo? Like a Goth, only much less dark and much more Harry Potter.

Anywho, I do feel for people who are generally 'emotional' like doing their wrists/arms in..
EFF! :D

That made me laugh :p

erosan
15-09-07, 18:20

Well, when emo's cut their wrists, I find it funny. And I do frown upon self harm in general. Don't always find it funny.

you're pretty ignorant and you don't know what you're talking about.
there's no way how you can understand what self harm is.
You must be one of those people who think all emos are alike. most think that. My best friend is not an "emo" but she was depressed and that resulted in self harm. she's also in the emo trend so of course a lot of people give her the dirty look. I'm sure if someone close to you did that you wouldn't find it funny anymore weather they are emo or not.

I'm sorry but next time think twice before you post something like this

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 18:21
you're pretty ignorant and you don't know what you're talking about.
there's no way how you can understand what self harm is.
You must be one of those people who think all emos are alike. most think that. My best friend is not an "emo" but she was depressed and that resulted in self harm. she's also in the emo trend so of course a lot of people give her the dirty look. I'm sure if someone close to you did that you wouldn't find it funny anymore weather they are emo or not.

I'm sorry but next time think twice before you post something like thisActually, I'm not ignorant. ;)

I don't think all emo's are alike. The only thing they can possible have in common is that they're all fools. Self harm under no circumstance is a good thing. Definitely not a wise thing to do.

Angel_14
15-09-07, 18:23
Emos are usually emotionally unstable and depressed all the time (Of course, there are exceptions) They feel sad broken. There are two kind of emos

1. The depressed emo. These people are not 'emos' for the fashion. They need some help, if it's really serious, they need some help.

2. The fashion emos. These people suffer from attention hungriness, thinking they will get empathy, or will be cool/fashionable. These people need a huge slap.

I hope you understood :D

xcrushterx
15-09-07, 18:26
Actually, I'm not ignorant. ;)

I don't think all emo's are alike. The only thing they can possible have in common is that they're all fools. Self harm under no circumstance is a good thing. Definitely not a wise thing to do.
Emo's won't self harm just for the sake of it. No one would unless they were the charismatic type that does whatever. I know lots of emos and not one of them have self harmed themselves.

erosan
15-09-07, 18:27

First of all, not emos hurt themselves.
And yeah probablly for you it's doesnt seem like the best idea, but there's no way to understand unless you see it or even worse, experience it.
People who do that just need to get better, not throw it in their face.

Voni
15-09-07, 18:28
I've been following this thread and I have to say I disagree with what a lot of people are saying on here, but then it's your opinion guys, and whether I think you're right or not, you are entitled to it. I would like to ask something of you all though, and maybe then we can put this issue to bed.

Hopefully we can see the difference between someone hurting themselves for attention and someone hurting themselves due to mental illness. Could we please try and excercise caution about demeaning those who fall into the latter catagory? I may be asking for my own sake but I think it's prudent, we wouldn't make jokes about people with physical illnesses/disabilities so why should we be allowed to about mental ones?

Mr.Burns
15-09-07, 18:30

That in itself is an ignorant statement. As others have said here, some of these kids are suffering from depression, social anxiety, etc. Are they fools for being afflicted with such problems?

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 18:31
First of all, not emos hurt themselves.
And yeah probablly for you it's doesnt seem like the best idea, but there's no way to understand unless you see it or even worse, experience it.
People who do that just need to get better, not throw it in their face.
Correct, not just emo's hurt themselves. A huge variety of people do it (can't see why myself).

More to the point there are better ways of taking your minds of things, hence why I have no sympathy at all for people who self harm.
Emo's won't self harm just for the sake of it. No one would unless they were the charismatic type that does whatever. I know lots of emos and not one of them have self harmed themselves.I never said emo's self harm for the sake of it. I didn't mean emo's when I said that. I just meant normal people.

@Mark: No, they're not. But self harm is a foolish act. I have total sympathy for people suffering from depression etc, but once they self harm, I couldn't care less about what happens to them.

2kool4u
15-09-07, 18:33
LOL i just remembered i made a topic like this a few years, i remember this line "I wish my lawn was emo so i wouldnt have to cut it."

xcrushterx
15-09-07, 18:34
I never said emo's self harm for the sake of it. I didn't mean emo's when I said that. I just meant normal people.

A normal person won't self harm for the sake of it either. Trust me, they will only do it if they have problems.

tranniversary119
15-09-07, 18:35
I dislike emo's! As a punk with gothic/punk friends we dislike them alot. :cln:

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 18:35
A normal person won't self harm for the sake of it either. Trust me, they will only do it if they have problems.I think we have a misunderstanding on the term self harm. When I say self harm, I mean hurting yourself deliberately. Whether it be running into a wall for a laugh or cutting your wrists.

xcrushterx
15-09-07, 18:37
I think we have a misunderstanding on the term self harm. When I say self harm, I mean hurting yourself deliberately. Whether it be running into a wall for a laugh or cutting your wrists.
I'm not an idiot. I know what you mean by self harm. Has anyone you know actually done it? Because if they had you wouldn't be so insensitive on the subject.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 18:39
I'm not an idiot. I know what you mean by self harm. Has anyone you know actually done it? Because if they had you wouldn't be so insensitive on the subject.I never said you were an idiot.

As I said, I classify self harm as jackass-type stuff. Loads of teenagers do it (obviously not as dangerous stuff).

xcrushterx
15-09-07, 18:41
I never said you were an idiot.

As I said, I classify self harm as jackass-type stuff. Loads of teenagers do it (obviously not as dangerous stuff).
I take that as a no, then. If you did know someone who has self-harmed you wouldn't be so insensitive by calling them a jackass. They need help, not someone to insult them like that.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 18:42
I take that as a no, then. If you did know someone who has self-harmed you wouldn't be so insensitive by calling them a jackass. They need help, not someone to insult them like that.Look, I'm talking about people who do it deliberately for a laugh. ;) Not fools who do it because they think it's the only way to ease depression.

I actually do know people who have self harmed (but only for a laugh). You're not getting my point.

And I never called anyone a jackass. I said jackass-type stuff.

MUN33B
15-09-07, 18:43
Look, I'm talking about people who do it deliberately for a laugh. ;) Not fools who do it because they think it's the only way to ease depression.

Why would someone want to do it for a laugh? :confused:

Voni
15-09-07, 18:43
Look, I'm talking about people who do it deliberately for a laugh. ;) Not fools who do it because they think it's the only way to ease depression.

I'm sorry, I take offence to that. You saw what I posted earlier. Am I a fool?

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 18:44
Why would someone want to do it for a laugh? :confused:Never heard of people running into walls for the fun of it?

@Voni: Well I don't know you, can't say. But I do think self-harm is a foolish act.

tranniversary119
My friend used to self harm in school! When we went to the bathroom during lunch he took out his wallet and said i carry my razor with me. I was like " You're a complete idiot". Alot of people do it because others are doing it.

Mr.Burns
Ben, a word of advise: The next time you come into a topic similar to this, think about what you're going to say before you say it. You've dug yourself into a hole and are trying to get out. If you were more concise to begin with your views on these kids, you would have received less of a back lash.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 18:47
Ben, a word of advise: The next time you come into a topic similar to this, think about what you're going to say before you say it. You've dug yourself into a hole and are trying to get out. If you were more concise to begin with your views on these kids, you would have received less of a back lash.Indeed. But I still stand by my opinion.

Sedge
15-09-07, 18:49
*sigh*
I don't like this whole let's classify people to emos/"normals" -thing.. Everyone has problems, some more some less and there are different methods to try to ease the pain these problems cause, and sometimes people relieve the pain with.. different kind of pain when they can't bear the current anymore.
No one should be laughed at, really. ˇ_˛

xcrushterx
15-09-07, 18:49
Never heard of people running into walls for the fun of it?

@Voni: Well I don't know you, can't say. But I do think self-harm is a foolish act.
That is not really self harm. People will do that when they are drunk or something. And believe it or not, but when people do that they do not do it with the intent to hurt themselves, they'll either do it because they are drunk, hyper or insanely bored.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 18:51
That is not really self harm. People will do that when they are drunk or something. And believe it or not, but when people do that they do not do it with the intent to hurt themselves, they'll either do it because they are drunk, hyper or insanely bored.Yep, and those were the exact people I was on about when I said people who do it for a laugh. But it still is self harm because they're harming themselves deliberately

KurtisLonely
15-09-07, 18:52
I personally think everything said in that link is right, although most "scene kids" are put in the same category as emo, although most "scene kids" are happy.
Yeah, people call me emo becouse I listen Evanescence and those sort of music, and that I like the colour black... so wot? :l

They say emo's are depressive, well, I'm not,...

and hey nightwish, back from your holidays? :D

tranniversary119
15-09-07, 18:52
Self-injury is behavior in which people deliberately harm their own bodies in some way to cope with overwhelming emotions. Self-injury frequently is an impulsive act. You may become upset and spontaneously seek a way to hurt yourself, recklessly doing damage to your body. Other times, self-injury may be inflicted in a controlled, methodical manner. You may even plan it in advance, taking steps to avoid detection and to prevent infections.

Self-injury isn't the same as injury that arises from culturally sanctioned practices in some parts of the world, including scarring, piercing and tattooing, which historically have been considered forms of self-mutilation. Self-injury is distinguished from such practices by the emotional intent behind it Ś it's an unhealthy coping method for overwhelming feelings.

Self-injury also isn't the same as a suicide attempt. For instance, someone may try to harm himself or herself by taking an overdose of medication, but stop short of taking a lethal dose. In self-injury, the intent isn't to die, but to inflict bodily harm. However, self-injury can accidentally result in suicide.

Types of self-injury
Self-injury is most commonly associated with cutting, which involves making cuts or scratches on your body. Cutting can be done with any sharp object, including knives, needles, razor blades or even fingernails.

Most frequently, the arms, legs and front of the torso are the targets of self-injury because these areas can be easily reached and easily hidden under clothing. But any area of the body may be subjected to self-injury.

Some people don't feel pain while they're hurting themselves, even when creating deep cuts. Others do find self-injury painful but welcome the pain as a punishment or as a distraction from emotional turmoil.

There are many types of self-injury besides cutting, and someone may engage in one or more of them. Other types of self-injury include:

Burning
Poisoning or overdosing
Scratching
Carving words or symbols on the skin
Breaking bones
Hitting or punching
Piercing the skin with sharp objects
Head banging
Pulling out hair
Interfering with wound healing
Pinching
Biting
Some experts consider overexercising a form of self-injury, as well as stopping medication in an attempt to cause harm to yourself.

Signs of self-injury
People who injure themselves often try to keep their behavior secret. It may be difficult to spot signs of self-injury.

Signs of self-injury may include:

Scars, such as from burns or cuts
Cuts, scratches or other wounds
Bruises
Broken bones
Keeping sharp objects on hand
Spending a great deal of time alone
Wearing long sleeves or long pants even in hot weather
Claiming to have frequent accidents or mishaps

xcrushterx
15-09-07, 18:53
Yep, and those were the exact people I was on about when I said people who do it for a laugh. But it still is self harm because they're harming themselves deliberately
There is a difference between harming yourself deliberatly and doing something deliberatly that could harm you ;)

Voni
15-09-07, 18:54
Self-injury info

Thank you for posting this. I'm sorry if I overreacted. I self harmed for nearly six years, and to hear it trivialised is more than I can stomach, frankly.

Reggie
15-09-07, 18:56
Psychology (Self Harm)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/48/Self-injury.png/300px-Self-injury.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Self-injury.png)

Attempts to understand self-injury fall broadly into either attempts to interpret motives, or application of psychological models.

Motives for self-injury are often personal, often do not fit into medicalised models of behaviour and may seem incomprehensible to others, as demonstrated by this quote:
“ "My motivations for self-harming were diverse, but included examining the interior of my arms for hydraulic lines. This may sound strange."[29] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#_note-18) ” Assessment of motives in a medical setting is usually based on precursors to the incident, circumstances and information from the patient[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#_note-fox_hawton) however the limited studies comparing professional and personal assessments show that these differ with professionals suggesting more manipulative or punitive motives.[30] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#_note-19)

The UK ONS study reported only two motives: “to draw attention” and “because of anger”.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#_note-meltzer) Many people who self-injure state that it allows them to "go away" or dissociate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation_%28psychology%29), separating the mind from feelings that are causing anguish. This may be achieved by tricking the mind into believing the pain felt at the time is caused by self-injury instead of the issues they were facing before: the physical pain therefore acts as a distraction from emotional pain.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#_note-spandler) The sexual organs may be deliberately hurt as a way to deal with unwanted feelings of sexuality, or as a means of punishing sexual organs that may be perceived as having responded in contravention to the persons well being. (e.g., responses to child sexual abuse) [citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources)]
To complement this theory, one can consider the need to 'stop' feeling emotional pain and mental agitation. "A person may be hyper-sensitive and overwhelmed; a great many thoughts may be revolving within their mind, and they may either become triggered or could make a decision to stop the overwhelming feelings."[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#_note-lifesigns)

Alternatively self-injury may be a means of feeling something, even if the sensation is unpleasant and painful. Those who self-injure sometimes describe feelings of emptiness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emptiness) or numbness (anhedonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia)), and physical pain may be a relief from these feelings. "A person may be detached from himself or herself, detached from life, numb and unfeeling. They may then recognise the need to function more, or have a desire to feel real again, and a decision is made to create sensation and ‘wake up’."[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#_note-lifesigns) A flow diagram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_diagram) of these two theories accompanies this section.

It is also important to note that many self-injurers report feeling very little to no pain while self-harming.[26] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#_note-strong)

Those who engage in self-injury face the contradictory reality of harming themselves whilst at the same time obtaining relief from this act. It may even be hard for some to actually initiate cutting, but they often do because they know the relief that will follow. For some self-injurers this relief is primarily psychological whilst for others this feeling of relief comes from the beta endorphins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphin) released in the brain (the same chemicals that are thought to be responsible for the "runner's high (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner%27s_high)"). These act to reduce tension and emotional distress and may lead to a feeling of calm.

As a coping mechanism, self-injury can become psychologically addictive because, to the self-injurer, it works; it enables him/her to deal with intense stress in the current moment. The patterns sometimes created by it, such as specific time intervals between acts of self-injury, can also create a behavioral pattern that can result in a wanting or craving to fulfill thoughts of self-injury.

Another possible source of self-injury can be self-loathing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-loathing), often as a means of punishment for having strong feelings that they were expected to suppress when they were children, or because they feel bad and undeserving, having previously been physically or emotionally abused and feeling that they were deserving of the abuse.[31] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#_note-20)
Rest of the "self harm" article here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#Psychology)
Self harm is no laughing matter. Whatever the "context".

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 18:56
There is a difference between harming yourself deliberatly and doing something deliberatly that could harm you ;)Indeed there is, but people who run into walls etc who aren't drunk or on drugs know they're going to get harmed. ;)

tranniversary119
15-09-07, 18:59
Indeed there is, but people who run into walls etc who aren't drunk or on drugs know they're going to get harmed. ;)

Running into walls can be a way to self harm. There's so many ways people do it.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 19:00
Running into walls can be a way to self harm. There's so many ways people do it.Yep. Indeed.

Veronica Ma
15-09-07, 19:00
Self-injury is behavior in which people deliberately harm their own bodies in some way to cope with overwhelming emotions. Self-injury frequently is an impulsive act. You may become upset and spontaneously seek a way to hurt yourself, recklessly doing damage to your body.... <snip> Is this a quoted article? If so, can you quote the link as well? Thanks.

tranniversary119
15-09-07, 19:01
Is this a quoted article? If so, can you quote the link as well? Thanks.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/self-injury/DS00775/DSECTION=2 ;)

2kool4u
15-09-07, 19:02
These people arent doing it because they are sick, its just a fad that they like which happens to be frowned upon by others.

Veronica Ma
15-09-07, 19:02
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/self-injury/DS00775/DSECTION=2 ;)
Thanks! :tmb:

tranniversary119
15-09-07, 19:03
Thanks! :tmb:

You're welcome :)

Voni
15-09-07, 19:04
These people who keep claiming people self harm for attention or because it's part of a trend or whatever, I have two words for you:

Proof please.

2kool4u
15-09-07, 19:07
These people who keep claiming people self harm for attention or because it's part of a trend or whatever, I have two words for you:

Proof please.

Emo is the trend and the other is suicide, its like playing Russian Roulette

Voni
15-09-07, 19:08
Self harm and suicide are not the same thing.

2kool4u
15-09-07, 19:09
No there are accidents, gee if you cut your arm what is right beneath the skin that is visible?

xcrushterx
15-09-07, 19:10
No there are accidents, gee if you cut your arm what is right beneath the skin that is visible?
They do it to inflict pain - they won't pay attention to details like that.

Voni
15-09-07, 19:12

Also, if someone intends to commit suicide you will know about it. A self harmer is trying to stop themselves from getting to that point.

Reggie
15-09-07, 19:20
These people arent doing it because they are sick, its just a fad that they like which happens to be frowned upon by others.

I think many emo's also genuinely need help. I mean, why would they go to such lengths to get attention or feel a sense of belonging within a group? I assume that in the vast majority of cases - even for "emos" that self harm is a sign of low self esteem at the very least.

I can only speak in theory as someone who's yet to study this in enough depth to fully understand it.

2kool4u
15-09-07, 19:27

Exactly they dont pay attention to the details, your vains are right beneath your skin.

RockSteady101
15-09-07, 20:38
Maybe This Will Help? ;)

Anajrob
15-09-07, 20:52
*sigh*
I don't like this whole let's classify people to emos/"normals" -thing.. Everyone has problems, some more some less and there are different methods to try to ease the pain these problems cause, and sometimes people relieve the pain with.. different kind of pain when they can't bear the current anymore.
No one should be laughed at, really. ˇ_˛

Yes. That's how I see it, too. :)

Maybe This Will Help? ;)

I posted this at the first page! LMAO!!! :vlol:

ThomasCroft
15-09-07, 22:09
Why is being an emo directly linked to homosexuality as shown in that pic? Don't get it.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 22:14
Why is being an emo directly linked to homosexuality as shown in that pic? Don't get it.Because the word gay is also used to describe something stupid in today's culture.

Little-Lara
15-09-07, 22:26
Why is being an emo directly linked to homosexuality as shown in that pic? Don't get it.

The way I look at it is that, u know how women are cursed by accusing them of having a certain work? well, I think 'homosexuality' is used the same way to curse men. Just a theory... :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm sorry, but I really don't think that second link in the first page is appropriate and wise to post here. I know that some of us probably know the emo facts, but we should try to avoid spreading the extreme negative aspects as much as possible. Some kids may take it seriously. Other than the "extreme" pics, everything's ok.

ThomasCroft
15-09-07, 22:28
Yeah ... sad really ...

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 22:29
Yeah ... sad really ...How? :confused:

ThomasCroft
15-09-07, 22:44
How? :confused:

You're asking how discriminating against a large section of society is sad?

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 22:45
You're asking how discriminating against a large section of society is sad?It's not discrimination exactly. And homosexuals don't make up a large part of society. Only the minority.

LaraMan2
15-09-07, 22:48
emo stands for emoglobic
i dont even kno how to spell it...
its a mental disfunction that some people find the urge to hurt themselves to feel alive...

ThomasCroft
15-09-07, 22:51
It's not discrimination exactly. And homosexuals don't make up a large part of society. Only the minority.

It is discrimination. The word "gay" has now, as you correctly said, become a negative adjective. It is no coincidence that the word "gay" also happens to refer to homosexual individuals. Make the link: negative adjective, homosexuality. There you have it. Open discrimination.

According to statistics, approximately 1 in every 10 individuals is gay. That is a large section of society, although it isn't the majority.

Mad Tony
15-09-07, 23:00
It is discrimination. The word "gay" has now, as you correctly said, become a negative adjective. It is no coincidence that the word "gay" also happens to refer to homosexual individuals. Make the link: negative adjective, homosexuality. There you have it. Open discrimination.

According to statistics, approximately 1 in every 10 individuals is gay
Personally I don't view it as proper discrimination, but each to their own.

1 in 10? Hmm, I would've thought it'd be lower than that.

BtoFu
15-09-07, 23:36
Personally I don't view it as proper discrimination, but each to their own.

You again? You'd think after 24,000 posts you'd be able to comprehend how it works and how to compose yourself in here.

Andariel
16-09-07, 00:55
predictable attention seekers just like britney spears. :p

Tashkentboy
16-09-07, 03:34
emo's are gonna wipe them self's of this planet

Nannonxyay
16-09-07, 09:01

You're half emo. Meaning you only dress and listen to the music which doesn't make you bad at all. Now, if you cut yourself and think the world is against you then you are full emo. I think I'm quater emo coz I listen to My Chemical romance and fall out boy. But I don't like to be labeled coz I don't cut myself or wear emo clothes or have an emo hairstyle or act liek the world is against me. In fact, I'm generally happy all the time. BTW I listen to all types of music, not just emo bands so...I guesse I'm hardly emo. :D

Beanz
16-09-07, 09:34

Thanks alot :mad:

Mad Tony
16-09-07, 09:36
Thanks alot :mad:What?

-DEBUG
16-09-07, 09:38
That picture wasn't funny...

Beanz
16-09-07, 09:39
^^^^^^^^ Agreed 1,0000,0000 times over :hug:

What?

Sorry, I dress that way, and you said they were fools.

-DEBUG
16-09-07, 09:44
^^^^^^^^ Agreed 1,0000,0000 times over :hug:.

:hug:

Why should you apologise if he called you a fool?

Mad Tony
16-09-07, 09:46
So? I define an emo through personality, music and dress. Not dress on it's own.

And how comes you singled out me on the comment? There are a lot of other people in this thread who said similar things.

Admles
16-09-07, 09:54
Anyone who feels the need to label their personality type, eg "emo" "goth" "bevon" "homie" "chav", has issues.

Human beings are way too complex creatures to need to categorise themselves. We are all individuals, and just because you might identify with some aspects of a personality label, doesn't mean you have to follow it to the letter.

Be a person, not a label......

Mad Tony
16-09-07, 10:03
Anyone who feels the need to label their personality type, eg "emo" "goth" "bevon" "homie" "chav", has issues.

Human beings are way too complex creatures to need to categorise themselves. We are all individuals, and just because you might identify with some aspects of a personality label, doesn't mean you have to follow it to the letter.

Be a person, not a label......Indeed. Well said. :tmb:

Anajrob
16-09-07, 14:54
That picture wasn't funny...

I warned you that it's offensive :p - read what I post! :mis:

I was wondering about the same thing. I just googled "emo" - and that's what I found. :p

Encore
16-09-07, 16:06

Cliche.
I agree that everyone needs to find their own interests in life and not discard ones they have just to fit better inside a group.

But I also realize (and even you admit it) that human beings NEED to feel identified with something. It's a biological thing. We are individuals, but we're also social beings.

And if some people feel better by fitting completely in a certain group or identity, there's absolutely nothing wrong there, as long as they feel perfectly confortable in said group. MOST ESPECIALLY if you're talking about teenagers, that are struggling to define their own personality, and many of them go through various of these stages until they reach maturity and settle.

But even if it's not teenagers, I find absolutely nothing wrong with someone that sees life in a certain way, has a certain attitude towards it and certain musical/artistic interestests, and so feels identified with a certain group.

In fact, I think people like "punks" or "goths" (mostly adult ones of course, who have settled completely in their lifestyle) demonstrate much more personality than the regular ones who feel unconfortable outside society's beauty/moral standards. Those people have the courage to dress as they like, act as they like and think what they like, without bothering one second about the disaproved looks others give them. They look more beautiful to me than the regular concept of beauty I get daily through advertising and Hollywood etc.

About the "emo" subject there's nothing to say really, if you think you're "emo" because you dress in an "emo" way, good for you but it's not supposed to be a fashion issue (omg.. I'm almost quoting a certain song title). If you try to pose as "emo" but deep inside know you're not, that's wrong and you should try to find your own way in life. But if you think you're "emo" because of the way you see life and death, and your artistic interests, then that's fine; that's the only way in which I admit the label applies to me.

Ultimately, EVERYONE has the right to assume their own personality and interests. The saddest person is the one who feels the need to insult other people's lifestyle to feel better about himself.

Gothlegend
16-09-07, 16:11
ok check out number 6 in lavinder's post ;)

scion05
16-09-07, 16:21
It's not discrimination exactly. And homosexuals don't make up a large part of society. Only the minority.

It's ****ing disgusting.

ThomasCroft
16-09-07, 16:23
It's ****ing disgusting.

What's disgusting?

Mad Tony
16-09-07, 16:24
What's disgusting?I think he's talking about the picture.

Personally I wouldn't say it was disgusting, maybe a little bit offensive to people who dress like that perhaps.

scion05
16-09-07, 16:25
I mean the use of the word " gay " for something that's " bad ". Honestly.

btw, it wasn't an insult to anyone here :wve:

ThomasCroft
16-09-07, 16:27
I mean the use of the word " gay " for something that's " bad ". Honestly.

btw, it wasn't an insult to anyone here :wve:

Lol! Oh thank goodness, I was getting scared then!! :vlol:

Gothlegend
16-09-07, 16:57

that is really nice :) btw just kind of ignore my username lmao

knutroald
16-09-07, 19:19

well said

Betal
16-09-07, 19:30
Me any my friends listen to EMO. It means emotional hardcore. A person canńt be EMO since it's music.

And those people who says they are depressed and cut them self are just attention seekers.

I never show my real style when I post my pics here. But I'm more gothic and have black hair (I used to have platina blonde). But many people call us emos and say things like: Enjoying cutting yourself?

So people who talks about emo without knowing what it is are just stupid.:p

Angelx14
16-09-07, 19:42

That was mean. Everyone has feelings, ya know. =)

clairelovestlc
16-09-07, 19:45
sorry completly random, but when i logged in i thought this said "whats an emu?"

I need my eyes testing!

Anywhoo just for fun!
http://www.jdmpics.com/animals/emu-2.jpg

Anajrob
16-09-07, 19:50
sorry completly random, but when i logged in i thought this said "whats an emu?"

I need my eyes testing!

Anywhoo just for fun!

:vlol:

nicola1986
16-09-07, 20:36

I need my eyes testing!

Anywhoo just for fun!

:vlol:

Beanz
16-09-07, 21:18
So? I define an emo through personality, music and dress. Not dress on it's own.

And how comes you singled out me on the comment? There are a lot of other people in this thread who said similar things.
I also listen to emo music and feel down quite alot of the time thanks to school bullies, I guesse that makes me a fool too eh? And I single you out because your the one saying most of the evil stuff, if you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything! :mad:

vespertea
16-09-07, 21:28
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2325/blackemosq0.jpg

I've stumbled across a very unique emo. One of a kind, very rare. 50% off if you call within the next ten minutes. Only $19.95!

Beanz
16-09-07, 21:31
^^OMFG I laughed so hard at that! :vlol: *chokes* :D

EDIT: Is that a Man or a Woman?

vespertea
16-09-07, 21:32
^^OMFG I laughed so hard at that! :vlol: *chokes* :D

EDIT: Is that a Man or a Woman?

I think it's a dude. :p

Mad Tony
16-09-07, 21:32
I also listen to emo music and feel down quite alot of the time thanks to school bullies, I guesse that makes me a fool too eh? And I single you out because your the one saying most of the evil stuff, if you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything! :mad:Well, if you class yourself an emo, then you're the one taking it as an insult. :wve:

Hmm, evil. Right...

Betal
16-09-07, 21:34
Well, if you class yourself an emo, then you're the one taking it as an insult. :wve:

Hmm, evil. Right...

I have to agree with Beanz.

I'm not only talking to you Mad Tony but also other members. If you don't know anything about EMO then just shut up.

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 06:09
I'm not only talking to you Mad Tony but also other members. If you don't know anything about EMO then just shut up.Aaah but I do know things about emo. ;)

L.C
17-09-07, 10:43
At any rate, Never encountered "emos" but it's probably just another generational fad. Yep, I think we're in the same boat here, Mr.Burns. The title was completely lost on me when I first heard it about 2 years ago, but someone at this year's Reading Festival explained it pretty well by saying:

'An emo is someone who's parents won't let them be a goth.'

I assume the title'll resurge itself in about 30 years like 'punk' supposedly* has :D

*I would never call the music now as 'punk'--whole different kettle of fish from the original, but that's for another discussion thread...

MiCkiZ88
17-09-07, 13:38
Aaah but I do know things about emo. ;)Well enlighten us then. You seem to know more about it than we do :)

Beanz
17-09-07, 15:29
^Lol

Aaah but I do know things about emo. ;)

So please keep the to yourself rather than offending others :wve:

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 15:31
Well enlighten us then. You seem to know more about it than we do :)When did I say I knew more about it than you do? :rolleyes:

Well, emo is usually a stereotype for a person who is depressed and/or listens to bands like My Chemical Romance (I'm not saying they're emo, but they are stereotyped as being emo).

A generalization of emo's is that they cut their wrists.

You know, that kinds of stuff.

Beanz
17-09-07, 15:33
You don't necaserily have to cut your wrists in order to be an emo.....

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 15:34
You don't necaserily have to cut your wrists in order to be an emo.....Read my post again. ;)

I said emo's are generalized as cutting their wrists.

MiCkiZ88
17-09-07, 15:36
When did I say I knew more about it than you do? :rolleyes:

Well, emo is usually a stereotype for a person who is depressed and/or listens to bands like My Chemical Romance (I'm not saying they're emo, but they are stereotyped as being emo).

A generalization of emo's is that they cut their wrists.

You know, that kinds of stuff.You gave the impression ;)

There you go, you only know the stereotype and think you know emo's.

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 15:36
There you go, you only know the stereotype and think you know emo's.I don't only know the stereotype. I know of emo's myself.

MiCkiZ88
17-09-07, 15:38
I don't only know the stereotype. I know of emo's myself.Knowing some ''emo'' and knowing what one is like is completely differend.

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 15:39
Knowing some ''emo'' and knowing what one is like is completely differend.I know what an emo is.

Beanz
17-09-07, 15:41
You gave the impression ;)

There you go, you only know the stereotype and think you know emo's.

Ooh, *seconded*

MiCkiZ88
17-09-07, 15:48
I know what an emo is.
And that would be a fool fag who cuts their wrist? That's what you've said before. Maybe not here. Seriously stop generalizing people under labels if you don't want people to start bashing you. Cause I seriously doubt you know ''emo's''.

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 15:50
And that would be a fool fag who cuts their wrist? That's what you've said before. Maybe not here. Seriously stop generalizing people under labels if you don't want people to start bashing you. Cause I seriously doubt you know ''emo's''.Nope. Not all emo's are like that.
I'm not generalizing. When I said "emo's are usually generalized as wrist slitters" I meant that's what they're seen as. I never said that's what I see them as.

xcrushterx
17-09-07, 15:57
Nope. Not all emo's are like that.
I'm not generalizing. When I said "emo's are usually generalized as wrist slitters" I meant that's what they're seen as. I never said that's what I see them as.
No they aren't ;)

danitiwa
17-09-07, 16:00
Nope. Not all emo's are like that.

Ben stop with the silly arguments, why won't you just admit you're wrong sometimes? I'm speaking generally, not maybe this time. But you just keep going on! It only makes fights worse when you're terribly stubborn. If a ton of other people at once say you're wrong then you probably are! :rolleyes:

xcrushterx
17-09-07, 16:01
Ben stop with the silly arguments, why won't you just admit you're wrong sometimes? I'm speaking generally, not maybe this time. But you just keep going on! It only makes fights worse when you're terribly stubborn. If a ton of other people at once say you're wrong then you probably are! :rolleyes:
:tmb:Agreed.

MUN33B
17-09-07, 16:01

Of course thats provided if these otehr people have enough evidence to support that they are right and Ben is wrong but yes I think you should just admit it Ben :o We are all sometimes wrong.

MiCkiZ88
17-09-07, 16:02
Thanks, you saved me from writing a reply :)

tomblover
17-09-07, 16:03
Simple, an emo is this. *Goes to find a kitchen knife*

Aiih! My life sucks! Aaaow! :cln:

:vlol: :p

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 16:03
No they aren't ;)
Yes, they are. ;)

Just bear in mind we're not talking about what emo's do, but what they're stereotyped to do.

Ben stop with the silly arguments, why won't you just admit you're wrong sometimes? I'm speaking generally, not maybe this time. But you just keep going on! It only makes fights worse when you're terribly stubborn. If a ton of other people at once say you're wrong then you probably are! :rolleyes:What am I wrong about? :confused:

@tomblover: :vlol: :D

MiCkiZ88
17-09-07, 16:05
Yes, they are. ;)

You are still generalizing them and yet you say you are not. *sigh*
Atleast try not to make yourself look like an hypocrite.

xcrushterx
17-09-07, 16:05
Yes, they are. ;)

Just bear in mind we're not talking about what emo's do, but what they're
No they aren't.

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 16:06
You are still generalizing them and yet you say you are not. *sigh*
Atleast try not to make yourself look like an hypocrite.I'm not generalizing them, but from my experience with other people that's what they're generalized as. ;)

@Crusther: Yes, they are. They're normally seen by people as wrist slitters. Take that tickle me emo thing for example.

And I can't stress this enough, I AM NOT SAYING EMO'S CUT THEIR WRISTS.

xcrushterx
17-09-07, 16:07
I'm not generalizing them, but from my experience with other people that's what they're generalized as. ;)
Yes you are - even if it's second hand you are still generalising them like that and believe me, not only are emos not like that at all, but they aren't generalised as doing that either.

Betal
17-09-07, 16:07
Simple, an emo is this. *Goes to find a kitchen knife*

Aiih! My life sucks! Aaaow! :cln:

:vlol: :p

Why is it so hard for people to understand that EMO is music and not a person. Emotional hardcore. It's just fjortis ńcklen who cut their wrists and say that they are EMO.

Hyper_Crazy
17-09-07, 16:08
Why is it so hard for people to understand that EMO is music and not a person. Emotional hardcore. It's just fjortis ńcklen who cut their wrists and say that they are EMO.

Emo is also a type of fashion. ;)

MiCkiZ88
17-09-07, 16:09
Emo is also a type of fashion. ;)Yerp, and I like the style tbh. :)

Mad Tony
Yes you are - even if it's second hand you are still generalising them like that and believe me, not only are emos not like that at all, but they aren't generalised as doing that either.I'm not generalizing them. I have observed what people stereotype emo's as and that's what a lot of people see them as.

Just because I've pointed out that a lot of people think that all emo's cut their wrists doesn't mean I feel the same way.

xcrushterx
emo's are wrist cutters, attention seekers that listen to ****y comercial bands like my chemical romanceI know for a fact you're gonna get abuse for saying that, but I agree. :p

And I can't stress this enough, I AM NOT SAYING EMO'S CUT THEIR WRISTS.
Yes you are if you agree with something like that ;)

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 16:10
Yes you are if you agree with something like that ;)I didn't specify what I agreed with in that sentence. ;)

MiCkiZ88
17-09-07, 16:11
Yes you are if you agree with something like that ;)
pwned :D

@Bennifer: Just quit it while you can. You're just digging yourself a bigger hole.

tomblover
17-09-07, 16:12
Why is it so hard for people to understand that EMO is music and not a person. Emotional hardcore. It's just fjortis ńcklen who cut their wrists and say that they are EMO. I know that "fjortis ńcklen" cut their wrists. :vlol:

I already knew before that emo is both music and fashion. I just took the stereotype example.

xcrushterx
17-09-07, 16:13
I didn't specify what I agreed with in that sentence. ;)
Which is just a way of saying you agree with it all. Ben, they aren't, admit it.

SparkleCroft07
17-09-07, 16:14
I didnt know what 'emo' meant until know. Lol...i feel so embarrased...

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 16:16
Which is just a way of saying you agree with it all. Ben, they aren't, admit it.No it's not. I actually meant most of it. There was a lot of description there and I agreed with most of it. Maybe you precieve "I agree" as all of it automatically, but I don't.

@Micki: I was hardly owned.

xcrushterx
17-09-07, 16:18
No it's not. I actually meant most of it. There was a lot of description there and I agreed with most of it. Maybe you precieve "I agree" as all of it automatically, but I don't.

@Micki: I was hardly owned.
And you still haven;t stated what you agreed on... so we can only assume the whole sentence unless you tell us what you do and do not agree with.

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 16:20
And you still haven;t stated what you agreed on... so we can only assume the whole sentence unless you tell us what you do and do not agree with.I don't agree with the wrist slitting part or the part where he mentioned "commerical" bands.

xcrushterx
17-09-07, 16:22
I don't agree with the wrist slitting part or the part where he mentioned "commerical" bands.
It could have saved you time if you had mentioned that in your initial quote.

Mad Tony
17-09-07, 16:23
It could have saved you time if you had mentioned that in your initial quote.Yeah, but I didn't think I'd need to specify exactly what I didn't agree with.

Legend 4ever
17-09-07, 18:31

That's right.

Quiver.
17-09-07, 18:39
I think EMO is so overrated...like everyone that listen to EMO music are cutting there wrists...

Laurencarter
17-09-07, 18:45
There's the emo trend ("emo" clothes and bands like My Chemical Romance) and the emo stereotype (depression). ;)

My Chemical Romance is not emo. Gerard Way(their frontman) have said it himself.

xcrushterx
17-09-07, 18:47
I think EMO is so overrated...like everyone that listen to EMO music are cutting there wrists...
No they aren't. They will only do that if they are depressed.

Quiver.
17-09-07, 18:51
No they aren't. They will only do that if they are depressed.

I doubt that. Offcourse there will always some "Die Hard emo people" who will cut thereselves in a depression but most will get over it normally :p

By the way, I dont get that cutting in the wrists. The chance you survive that suicide action is pretty big...:p

jackles
17-09-07, 19:29
Teddy boy, greaser, skinhead, hippie, pringle boy, new romantic, goth, punk, geek, chav, mods, emo....etc etc.

yet another teenage movement. For decades now teens have followed various fashion/music styles that have been reviled/loved by their peers. Each one has so called traits that indicate the extreme sterotypes of the movement.

Guys...and its usually guys who indulge in the jackass style of doing dangerous stunts are usually getting off on the adrenaline rush of doing something dangerous in our safe and sanitised world where our parents can check on us every minute of the day via our mobiles or reading our msn logs. Its the risk of harm they find exciting...not the actual harm itself.

People who are driven to self harm do so to relieve stress. In the cases of anxiety it is recommended by doctors that you wear an elastic band round your wrist and when anxious thoughts intrude you snap the band so it hurts your wrist. This works as a distraction. I have wondered if its something to do with the number of nerves in our bodies which only enable us to feel pain in so many pain sensors at a time. A way to trick the brain maybe? Its not usually cutting wrists but cutting arms...to cause pain not kill.

I don't think its wise to judge those who may be suffering thus as we never know what has happened in life and maybe we should try walking in others shoes.

tweetygwee
17-09-07, 19:32
There is a difference between genuine depression and just emo-fashion (which I detest, I like individuality). I think we need to remember that some people are genuinely depressed though.

danitiwa
17-09-07, 19:35

What? I love MCR! :yik: :mad: And I'm not emo!

amitabha
17-09-07, 20:34
I have receantly heard of this - ok not so receantly, but I really don't what it is :vlol: :o :p

So - What do you think it is?

I found this pic, but don't look at it because it could be offensive:

Is this a joke, or what? But I saw some people looking like this :vlol:

Am I the only one that finds all the gay bashing in that pic to be quite offensive?

vespertea
17-09-07, 22:16
Am I the only one that finds all the gay bashing in that pic to be quite offensive?

No. Though I gotta admit, the word "faggotry" cracks me up every time.

Laras Backpack
17-09-07, 22:44
Sorry if anyone else has already posted this but the hottest toy this christmas:
Tickle Me Emo!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRNYG_xM2U (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRNYG_xM2U)

:vlol: :vlol:

BtoFu
17-09-07, 22:48
Teddy boy, greaser, skinhead, hippie, pringle boy, new romantic, goth, punk, geek, chav, mods, emo....etc etc.

yet another teenage movement. For decades now teens have followed various fashion/music styles that have been reviled/loved by their peers. Each one has so called traits that indicate the extreme sterotypes of the movement.

Guys...and its usually guys who indulge in the jackass style of doing dangerous stunts are usually getting off on the adrenaline rush of doing something dangerous in our safe and sanitised world where our parents can check on us every minute of the day via our mobiles or reading our msn logs. Its the risk of harm they find exciting...not the actual harm itself.

People who are driven to self harm do so to relieve stress. In the cases of anxiety it is recommended by doctors that you wear an elastic band round your wrist and when anxious thoughts intrude you snap the band so it hurts your wrist. This works as a distraction. I have wondered if its something to do with the number of nerves in our bodies which only enable us to feel pain in so many pain sensors at a time. A way to trick the brain maybe? Its not usually cutting wrists but cutting arms...to cause pain not kill.

I don't think its wise to judge those who may be suffering thus as we never know what has happened in life and maybe we should try walking in others shoes.

Lovely post, Jacki. :) Read it again, turnips.

vespertea
17-09-07, 22:48
Sorry if anyone else has already posted this but the hottest toy this christmas:
Tickle Me Emo!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRNYG_xM2U (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRNYG_xM2U)

:vlol: :vlol:

I freaking love that video. :D

Spitfire
18-09-07, 03:09
Pfft, people make fun of the style but personally I find certain people, a few of my friends, actually look really good with it. The only thing is they don't follow the whole "lifestyle" aspect of the stereotypical emo definition, that's right no cutting or sulking involved...

vespertea
18-09-07, 03:17
Pfft, people make fun of the style but personally I find certain people, a few of my friends, actually look really good with it. The only thing is they don't follow the whole "lifestyle" aspect of the stereotypical emo definition, that's right no cutting or sulking involved...

Agreed. Fashionably speaking, sometimes emos can pull off the look quite smoothly. Despite how crazy their hair generally is, I think it looks kind of cool.

I, too, know a few emo-esque kids who don't cut, sulk, or any of that sort. They're merely in it for the looks, not the attitude.

danitiwa
18-09-07, 05:04
There is a difference between genuine depression and just emo-fashion (which I detest, I like individuality). I think we need to remember that some people are genuinely depressed though.

Agreed, some people are depressed, so Emo is just a label: A fashion, like Goth/Punk/Prep etc.

Anajrob
18-09-07, 10:03

No you're not - I find it offensive too - as I posted in the first post - I couldn't find a better pic

OK - I found this picture now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Emo_fashion_kid.png

hookups
18-09-07, 22:59
those dark Gothic kids who listen to punk rock, are very emotional and wear to much eye liner male or female.

buckmana
19-09-07, 07:49
Well, I'm of the opinion they're wannabe fake goths (a fake goth has black hair, a real goth has bright hair).

Really, they're just manic depressive freaks.

Admles
19-09-07, 09:57
What was that joke....... oh yeah

"If personalities were soft drink, emo would be diet-goth"

:D

gotha-666
19-09-07, 21:21
emo's r like punks, goths and others, but have there own way of life, but the special thing is that emo boys r hot :cln::jmp:

Elysia
19-09-07, 21:33

:tmb: Excellent post, jackles.

Emo is another teenage clique - simply another way for them to flock together and seek approval from each other (not meant in a derogatory fashion - just simple truth. No matter how individual you think you are, you;re just following another set of guidelines set out by your clique - it's human nature, especially when you are young and finding your feet when it comes to the ways of the world).

As for the whole self harming thing - have to say, as a former self harmer (as in 'serious, as a result of a breakdown which ended up in a diagnosis of clinical depression', not 'ooh, feel a bit miserable today, lets scratch myself with a compass'), those that do it because it is 'cool' annoy me intensely. They detract and cheapen something that, if you really are ill, is very distressing and involves a lot of guilt, self loathing and shame. Most self harmers who harm because they are ill actually go to massive lengths to hide their habit - and scratching yourself on the arm is actually not the most common form (most self harmers actually cut legs, feet (my spot), stomach and genitals before the cut forearms as they are easier to hide and thus avoid difficuly questions). People move onto arms when they are at their lowest, and is usually a sign that they want to be 'found out' and helped (rather like cry for help - that is what I did, and my counsellor told me it is a very common progression). To make something like this almost a fashion statement... *shakes head sadly*. I wouldn;t wish true depression upon my worst enemy, I really wouldn't. It's not cool, it's not clever and it certainly isn't fun - it's a horrible, delibitating illness that has serious negative affects upon every single facet of your life.

Voni
19-09-07, 21:36
Thank you, Jackles and Elysia.

Anajrob
20-09-07, 13:33
:tmb: Excellent post, jackles.

Emo is another teenage clique - simply another way for them to flock together and seek approval from each other (not meant in a derogatory fashion - just simple truth. No matter how individual you think you are, you;re just following another set of guidelines set out by your clique - it's human nature, especially when you are young and finding your feet when it comes to the ways of the world).

As for the whole self harming thing - have to say, as a former self harmer (as in 'serious, as a result of a breakdown which ended up in a diagnosis of clinical depression', not 'ooh, feel a bit miserable today, lets scratch myself with a compass'), those that do it because it is 'cool' annoy me intensely. They detract and cheapen something that, if you really are ill, is very distressing and involves a lot of guilt, self loathing and shame. Most self harmers who harm because they are ill actually go to massive lengths to hide their habit - and scratching yourself on the arm is actually not the most common form (most self harmers actually cut legs, feet (my spot), stomach and genitals before the cut forearms as they are easier to hide and thus avoid difficuly questions). People move onto arms when they are at their lowest, and is usually a sign that they want to be 'found out' and helped (rather like cry for help - that is what I did, and my counsellor told me it is a very common progression). To make something like this almost a fashion statement... *shakes head sadly*. I wouldn;t wish true depression upon my worst enemy, I really wouldn't. It's not cool, it's not clever and it certainly isn't fun - it's a horrible, delibitating illness that has serious negative affects upon every single facet of your life.

Yeah - that's what I thought too :)