PDA

View Full Version : Ever had any really weird conversations online?

bloodstormaoa
17-09-07, 01:57
Sorry if this is pointless or open chatty :o

Well, my motivation for this springs from a conversation I've just had on MSN. A little backstory? Up until about 2 years ago, I was a complete techno/computer-phobe. So I finally got a computer to "aid my schooling" and for a year or so, used it for just that! Then, I became interested in all things internet, MSN etc. in order to keep up with my friends.

So I join MSN and right after it loads up for the first time....I get a contact/friend request from some guy I don't know. Not knowing the interface I accepted...A couple of months later he tried to start a convo, which I ignored! Everything remained quite on that front.....until now!

Another convo! "Hey Peter!" Already unnerved due to the fact that he used my name, I hesitated. Eventually, I bit the bullet (due to my forum experience here :D) and replied with a "Hello". He asked me what was "goin on"....I fobbed him off and asked "why did you connect with me?"

He listed off a list of possible sites where he could have got my e-mail address from......none of which I recognised. I said "I knew it was a case of mistaken adding....sorry but I don't know you!" To which he replied " Oh well, no sense in deleting you now.You seem fine"

o_O

"Ok.....so.....um, maybe you could tell me a bit about yourself, so we could get to know each other a bit" He did, and I told him my interests etc. He said, "Neat. I have to go now. Continue this later. Bye"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so sorry if that is long-winded/irritating etc. But it made me wonder:

Have any of you had any weird conversations/experiences online?

ivannnnn
17-09-07, 02:03
I have never had conv. at MSN so i've never had weiird online conv. :D

Ward Dragon
17-09-07, 02:03
Not really. At least, no one randomly added me and started a conversation like that. I've had some uncomfortable conversations with a few people that I had been talking to for several years, but that's different. On a side note, you have your MSN address in your profile and you just said your name in your post, so maybe you accidentally did something like that before which is how the guy knew your name?

vespertea
17-09-07, 02:06
Okay, so get this.

I met a bunch of people on a Kingdom Hearts board several years ago. We all became good online friends. There was this one girl, Ann, whose AOL screen name could supposedly host multiple accounts/people, and you could identify who was who by the font color the person used.

One of these people who shared this screen name with her was a homosexual British man named Ashi, who claimed to have magical powers, and belonged to this infamous bat****-crazy rich family in England.

Then Ashi died. So all of us were like "oh no. :(" But when we searched the obituaries and articles for the death of an "Ashi" (and all of his various legal names) in England, nothing came up. Turns out that Ann, the girl, completely made the entire thing up and lied to us for two or three years straight.

I mean, it was kind of obvious, because of the whole "look at me i have magical powers" thing. But it totally ****ed me off. I actually met up with this girl and she was kerr-azy. Now I'm cautious about internet people lololo :(

bloodstormaoa
17-09-07, 02:06
@ Ward Dragon- My name shows up in my profile on MSN.....but still it freaked me out that he used it so.....casually!

@ Vessy - O_o and I thought my story was weird :whi:

myrmaad
17-09-07, 02:51
@ Ward Dragon- My name shows up in my profile on MSN.....but still it freaked me out that he used it so.....casually!

@ Vessy - O_o and I thought my story was weird :whi:

I can top that story. My niece had this good friend who she shared a ride to college with every day. This girl was kind of lonely and started chatting online every day with some guy she met. After two years she told us she was going to marry him.

Me, my niece, and another of my niece's friends all sat down and had a talk with this girl about the dangers of internet relationships and how you need to be careful because online personas are not like knowing someone in real life, but she could not be convinced, and she was adamant she was going to marry him.

Now the guy had sent her pics, but he did a lot of other strange things and wouldn't even talk to her on the phone though they spent hours chatting online every day.

Finally the three girls were going to drive up to canada to get him so they could get married. They stopped here at my house and spent the night on the way because it was a halfway point.

When they came back about a day later, there was no guy but there was this crazy story about how he couldn't be there to meet her and he sent his "large boyish" sister "in his place". As soon as I saw her I knew something was not right. By the time they got back home, they girls had got the truth out of this girl, she was actually a lesbian who had been posing as the guy online that my niece's friend had "fallen in love with".

Needless to say it didn't work out. It had all been a pack of lies.

vespertea
17-09-07, 03:00
I can top that story. My niece had this good friend who she shared a ride to college with every day. This girl was kind of lonely and started chatting online every day with some guy she met. After two years she told us she was going to marry him.

Me, my niece, and another of my niece's friends all sat down and had a talk with this girl about the dangers of internet relationships and how you need to be careful because online personas are not like knowing someone in real life, but she could not be convinced, and she was adamant she was going to marry him.

Now the guy had sent her pics, but he did a lot of other strange things and wouldn't even talk to her on the phone though they spent hours chatting online every day.

Finally the three girls were going to drive up to canada to get him so they could get married. They stopped here at my house and spent the night on the way because it was a halfway point.

When they came back about a day later, there was no guy but there was this crazy story about how he couldn't be there to meet her and he sent his "large boyish" sister "in his place". As soon as I saw her I knew something was not right. By the time they got back home, they girls had got the truth out of this girl, she was actually a lesbian who had been posing as the guy online that my niece's friend had "fallen in love with".

Needless to say it didn't work out.

Uh. Whoa.

That's so

freaking

AWKWARD.

Something like that happened to my cousin's friend. He (a college student) had been talking to this one girl online for about a year or two, then finally decided to meet her.

When he drove to her house, he expected a sharp, beautiful 23 year old girl to walk out. Instead, a pale 17 year old girl and her overweight, shabby mother trudged out of the house. Needless to say, that relationship didn't last much longer.

It doesn't top your story at all, but still -- gah. I'm paranoid of who I talk to now.

Fish.
17-09-07, 03:05
I'm paranoid of who I talk to now.

I found someone you might want to meet ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/Italienischer_Maler_des_17._Jahrhunderts_001.jpg/110px-Italienischer_Maler_des_17._Jahrhunderts_001.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Italienischer_Maler_des_17._Jahrhunderts_001 .jpg)

bloodstormaoa
17-09-07, 03:06
Wow, my story seems completely "tame" and somewhat "normal" compared to yours....

@ Myrmaad - At least your nieces' friend wasn't one of those "see beyond gender" types and turned lesbian for her "love"

myrmaad
17-09-07, 03:07
Uh. Whoa.

That's so

freaking

AWKWARD.

Something like that happened to my cousin's friend. He (a college student) had been talking to this one girl online for about a year or two, then finally decided to meet her.

When he drove to her house, he expected a sharp, beautiful 23 year old girl to walk out. Instead, a pale 17 year old girl and her overweight, shabby mother trudged out of the house. Needless to say, that relationship didn't last much longer.

It doesn't top your story at all, but still -- gah. I'm paranoid of who I talk to now.

Holy Crap! I can imagine. It's one thing to be friendly in a forum, it's quite another to have intimate one on one discussions about Gawd-Knows-What, and then have that kind of betrayal..

myrmaad
17-09-07, 03:10
Wow, my story seems completely "tame" and somewhat "normal" compared to yours....

@ Myrmaad - At least your nieces' friend wasn't one of those "see beyond gender" types and turned lesbian for her "love"

See, I would have less a problem with it, if she had been--if it had been a moment of "look I'm actually a girl but I've fallen in love with you" and let the chips fall. It's the LIES and the pretense, the all-around shady character aspect of it that really makes my skin crawl.

*I should have edited my above post, sorry!*

vespertea
17-09-07, 03:14
Holy Crap! I can imagine. It's one thing to be friendly in a forum, it's quite another to have intimate one on one discussions about Gawd-Knows-What, and then have that kind of betrayal..

It's mind boggling how someone can lie so easily, and persistently, amidst another person's trust like that, especially when it comes to something as intimate as marriage. That's just sickening.

Speaking of which: Has anyone seen Hard Candy?

bloodstormaoa
17-09-07, 03:16
See, I would have less a problem with it, if she had been--if it had been a moment of "look I'm actually a girl but I've fallen in love with you" and let the chips fall. It's the LIES and the pretense, the all-around shady character aspect of it that really makes my skin crawl.

*I should have edited my above post, sorry!*

I know, the woman kept it going for quite a while, when she really should have just said...

It makes me wonder what her aim was in the first place...I mean, the initial meeting...What did she expect to happen? :confused:

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-09-07, 04:02
Yeah, I've had many. The internet's a strange realm.

Speaking of which: Has anyone seen Hard Candy?

Yup. What a crazy movie that was.

Ward Dragon
17-09-07, 05:01

Okay, I know what you mean now. I have a similar story not related to the internet. Some strange guy called my cell phone once and I told him he had the wrong number and hung up. Then a few minutes later he left me a message and used my name. I was really freaked out until I realized that my voice-mail intro had my name in it, which is where he must have gotten it.

Yeah, that's where I was afraid the story was going--that the niece's friend would accept her anyway and then get hurt really badly (if the woman was willing to lie for so long about her gender, what else was she holding back?)

I know, that *is* really creepy. I don't understand why the woman wouldn't look for another lesbian instead of trying to trick a straight woman into thinking she was a man. It's not even like she fell in love with your niece's friend and *then* tried anything to win her over. If she introduced herself as a man in the first conversation then she was planning to fall in love with and trick a woman she didn't even know yet :confused:

nicola1986
17-09-07, 08:50
I used to have some odd chats on MSN when I was younger, mostly because there were people PMing me and I'd forgotten who they were, it was so embarrassing :o

Cord_Croft
17-09-07, 08:55
Umm.. I dunno if they count as strange. Came across a perv a few years ago, that was dogy.

And yeah, I'm extremely paranoid to who I talk to =\ So of course when someone does something/says something/doesn't do something.. yah know :p

And I have some intresting with CuteKitten.. about chainsaws and chickens.. gay chickens. :vlol:

Dakaruch
17-09-07, 09:59
And I have some intresting with CuteKitten.. about chainsaws and chickens.. gay chickens. :vlol:

:vlol::vlol::vlol:
gay chikens :vlol:

well i never had those strange convos on the internet... only my friends to which i give my msn talk to me :p

Joe_16
17-09-07, 10:09
Nope. The only people I speak to are the people i've added on MSN.

I used to go in chat rooms alot when I was like 14, you always get strange people there.

Cord_Croft
17-09-07, 10:18
:vlol::vlol::vlol:
gay chikens :vlol:

well i never had those strange convos on the internet... only my friends to which i give my msn talk to me :p

Exactly, hence why I say "intresting" :ton:

Dakaruch
17-09-07, 10:26
Exactly, hence why I say "intresting" :ton:

i know, but it is funny nonetheless :p

remote91
17-09-07, 21:11
Wow some of those stories were freaky! I always get the odd person from school adding me just to say 'Yeah but I will tw*t you when I see you.' Seriously? Whats the point if I dont even know you! :rolleyes: