PDA

View Full Version : Would A Single-Use Camera With A Flash Be Any Good At Taking Snaps At A Concert?

RockSteady101
18-09-07, 19:21
...Title Says It All, I Just Need To Know For Thursday, As I'm Going To See Gwen Stefani And Want To Take Piccies! :D

But Would It Be To Weak, I Know Gwen's Performances Will Be Well-Lit With SFX And Strobes, But Would It Still Be Any Good?

Oh! And Before You Post, No, I Don't Want A Digital Camera...Yet :pi:

Thanks For Reading And (Hopefully) Helping :wve:

SamReeves
18-09-07, 19:22
No. Those cameras have very shallow depth of field, and the flash won't be bright enough if you are far back.

And most concerts have rules against photography and filming, so I would check ahead of time. ;)

RockSteady101
18-09-07, 19:23
No.

Not Even Worth A Try, Honestly? :(

Please Reply ;)

bett
18-09-07, 19:24
last year when i saw dashboard confessional and brand new the rule was that you couldn't use digital cameras, disposable cams only. the pics i took turned out fine.

SamReeves
18-09-07, 19:26
Not Even Worth A Try, Honestly? :(

Please Reply ;)

There's nothing against trying. I just know from experience you might be dissapointed when you get the prints back. To photograph a concert I would use nothing less than a SLR with a strobe.

RockSteady101
18-09-07, 19:27
There's nothing against trying. I just know from experience you might be dissapointed when you get the prints back. To photograph a concert I would use nothing less than a SLR with a strobe.

N00B Here...Whats An SLR? :confused:

I'll Try Anyway, But Thanks For Your Tips ;)

Mr.Burns
18-09-07, 19:28
Single Lens Reflex. It's an advanced, fully manual/automatic camera. Basically what professionals and serious amateurs use.

scion05
18-09-07, 19:30
Well most places only allow 3mm cameras anyway, so if ur anywhere close, take on :) Or take some binovs and take snaps down the lense :whi: :p :whi:

SamReeves
18-09-07, 19:30
N00B Here...Whats An SLR? :confused:

I'll Try Anyway, But Thanks For Your Tips ;)

Pardon me for the jargon, but SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex camera. :wve:

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/posts/40d.jpg

scion05
18-09-07, 19:37
From some photo's from the show im looking at now, they, and everyone else used a digital cam ( i can see the screens ) :p

L.C
19-09-07, 09:11
In case you're not aware, I have quite a bit of experience with concert photography, so am happy to help.

You can certainly try with a disposable. Like with mobile phone cameras, most artists don't see them as a threat to copyright, as the quality tends to be poorer than SLR's and there is less chance of them losing out if someone wanted to profit from them.

Where are you, by the way? If you're in the US, camera rules are very, very strict and you may have to either put it away or have it taken away. In the UK and Europe, however, the rules are a bit more lax, although photographing certain artists is ruefully restricted to those with media passes. Unfortunately, it seems the artists that have this restriction tend to be American.

If you're close enough, you can get decent snapshots. For an example, here's a shot I took of the Darkness for my friend, using her point-and-click non-digital camera, using 800 ISO film:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/ling2c/PhotoPass/Darkness072.jpg

I wouldn't say it's my best work, but she was dead pleased with it, and that's what mattered most. We were right up front, with only one person in front of me. And this was a big arena (Sheffield), so it was very possible to take photos, as most fans did have cameras on them up front.

I would suggest to you that you take it with you, wait for the better lights, and shoot away (the closer the better).

Good luck :tmb: