PDA

View Full Version : Chinese bloke games himself to death

tlr online
18-09-07, 19:32
A Chinese man who indulged in three-day marathon gaming session joined his ancestors after succumbing to exhaustion, the Beijing News reports.

The unnamed 30-year-old from the province of Guangzhou collapsed in a net cafe and later died in hospital despite doctors' efforts to revive him. The authorities have "ruled out the possibility of suicide", the Beijing News notes.

This latest victim of internet overdose will doubtless now be sharing gaming tips with the 26-year-old Jinzhou chap who earlier this year popped his clogs after spending "almost all" of the seven-day Lunar New Year holiday glued to his computer.

The pair might also want to hook up with the Taiwanese man who last year suffered a heart attack provoked by "fatigue, lack of sleep, cigarette smoke, and instant noodles". Hsu Tai-yang, 37, moved into an internet cafe after a row with the wife and following three months spent playing video games, smoking and chewing betel nuts, duly dropped dead.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/18/chinese_gaming_death/

touchmyheart
18-09-07, 19:33
Scary :eek: I suppose too much of anything can kill nowadays.

SamReeves
18-09-07, 19:34
Candidate for the Darwin award? :(

scion05
18-09-07, 19:35
:vlol:

Sorry, but he must of really needed a social life o.O

danitiwa
18-09-07, 19:37
First person to die of video game. O.o Strange.

ThomasCroft
18-09-07, 19:39
Sad, sad, sad ...

BtoFu
18-09-07, 19:39
Chalk another one up for East Asia. They have the crown for internet gaming death. And I thought China was being restrained with regards to how much time they can spend online. :cool:

There's been quite a handful actually.

vespertea
18-09-07, 19:40

No, a similar case happened to a Korean (?) man several years ago, though it is very rare.

And yeah, total candidate for a Darwin award. :rolleyes:

Jacob x5
18-09-07, 19:40
The article is a bit heartless in the way it's written, really. It may seem silly to spend that much time on your computer, but this is still death we're talking about.

xcrushterx
18-09-07, 19:57
Umm, yes, odd O.o

Mr.Burns
18-09-07, 20:02

He's got my vote. *shakes head*

Legends
18-09-07, 20:15
That's disturbing, and also very sad.

CerebralAssassin
18-09-07, 20:19
yeah...I have a Korean friend that told me that he was a awake for a whole week (!?) ,playing video games and watching some kind of Anime TV marathon run:yik:

Sedge
18-09-07, 20:20
Now that's... extreme? :eek:

troy tr
18-09-07, 20:22
And I thought China was being restrained with regards to how much time they can spend online. :cool:True. The government has even limited how many cybercafes to be open in certain areas. They believe too much internet will make people too addictive to them.

BtoFu
18-09-07, 20:24
Yeah it seems to be the case too. Must be something the rice because I can't be bothered playing anything for more than 2 hours. :D

xMiSsCrOfTx
18-09-07, 20:47

Actually, this isn't the first person. I've heard all kinds of stories of people playing things like World of Warcraft, either getting really really sick to the point where they need to be hospitalized from just sitting at their computers for so long (not even getting up to go to the bathroom, uhh, gross!) and even worse.

I think internet/gaming addiction is a problem that's taken too lightly. Something needs to be done during the early signs so that this doesn't just keep happening, because I can definitely see it reocurring.

DREWY
18-09-07, 22:31
http://bestsmileys.com/playing/16.gif

Brings new meaning to "I'm going to finish this level if it kills me"

SamReeves
18-09-07, 22:33
http://bestsmileys.com/playing/16.gif

Brings new meaning to "I'm going to finish this level if it kills me"

Boooo! Hisss…hisss. :vlol:

Dakaruch
18-09-07, 22:47

WRONG! another japanese once died when he was playing Diablo II for more than 24 hours... he had an heart attack and died, he did not eat, not slept and he died in front of the PC playing Diablo...

still it is sad to see how someone can die by playing... :(

EDIT:damn xMissCroftx beat me to it

Little-Lara
18-09-07, 23:53
Irony is when someone dies of thirst while in a CAFE'.

Sad though, 'etardre.' His own fault. He obviously decided to ignore the messages he was getting from his own body. :(

Draco
19-09-07, 01:03
So what?

vespertea
19-09-07, 01:04
So what?

"So what?" as in "So what do I care if a Chinese man died?"

PARANOIA
19-09-07, 01:10
Clearly this means we should place legislation prohibiting more than two straight hours of video gameplay.

I'll start if you start.

Draco
19-09-07, 01:55
"So what?" as in "So what do I care if a Chinese man died?"

So what as in what does it matter what someone else's choices lead them to?

vespertea
19-09-07, 02:01
So what as in what does it matter what someone else's choices lead them to?

..Right, then.

Draco
19-09-07, 02:11
You asked. :)

Fish.
19-09-07, 03:41
Oh dear! :eek:

*immediately gets off the computer* :pi:

aquaflute
19-09-07, 05:09
Well please don't get the idea that all Chinese play games all day and have no life from that guy.
Honestly I've read a lot of news about people like that while I was in China. Most of the time they play online games for too long and die because they forgot to eat or drink. And honestly I have no sympathy to them at all. They just try to escape their pressures by playing games and used up all the money that their parents make. They lie to their parents and use the money for meal to play games and that's why they die. Believe me their parents don't always make that much at all.
Those CAFE are places where they can get faster Internet connection cause they usually don't have that good ones at home.
Like I said I have no sympathy to them, they are inresponsible to their family and themselves and to the whole society in all.
These people make good games look bad and make people grow discriminations against Internet sometimes. But few people realise it's just their own problem as losers. There are other gamers around and they live a very positive life style and these people never learn how.

Well I can't really describe the exact situation in China but it's true that we live under greater pressure, generally kids in highschool have to study 6 days a week and sometimes even 7. But I am sure playing games to escape this pressure is not the solution and therefore I look down to them.

ajrich17901
19-09-07, 06:15
I cant say i like how this topic was written up,kinda shocked me though that someone could actualy get into something like this and die from it.I guess this is a tip out there for all the people who do this 24/7 to stop or u may be gettin a game over for good.....

Autolycus
19-09-07, 07:48
That ain't good at all. Some people need to get out more.

peffect
19-09-07, 08:35
Really sad, how people's lives became too cheap to be lost that way.

Scary :eek: I suppose too much of anything can kill nowadays.

Lol!

I heard a story of a Asian boy who died next to his PC monitor after 48(Or 53; Not too sure about it) hours of World Of Warcraft non-stop playing.

Alex Fly
19-09-07, 09:54
Arf... Poor man... :(

nicola1986
19-09-07, 09:55
:yik: Poor guy, though it was extreme

Clara [CA]
19-09-07, 10:18
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. It's a sign of times, but I wonder if anything can be changed about that. I mean, I just read that the Chinese government is trying to put limits on the use of Internet for people, and see what happens ? That dead guy could have had a family.

I've heard all kinds of stories of people playing things like World of Warcraft, either getting really really sick to the point where they need to be hospitalized from just sitting at their computers for so long...
Yeah I've heard that too. Actually I have a few friends who play it and are totally mute when they're on it.

Thing is, some games are so immersive that you can hardly progress in them without investing consequent time in learning and playing. But how is it possible that grown-ups aren't able to stop ? To choose to leave the computer and do something vital like feeding or sleeping ?

The problem might be in education. I recently came across this article (http://www.gamegirladvance.com/archives/2007/09/04/gaming_with_toddlers_new_levels_of_pwnage.html) on a website that I really love, and at first I was horrified to read that anyone wanted to learn her 4 year old kid to play videogames. But now, I'm wondering if it's not the best way. Not to disgust the little girl forever, but to teach a kid how to play safely and to stop whenever she wants. Videogames and Internet have become part of our lives without us really noticing it, it was progressive, exciting, new. And addictive. And now, it's just the beginning of the consequences...

Lara Croft!
19-09-07, 10:30
So stupid.... May he RIP.

Joe_16
19-09-07, 11:02
Insane.

If i'm on the computer for a considerable length of time I always have to take breaks.

Catlantean
19-09-07, 11:04
Darwin award candidate, definitely. But at least I hope he died happy, doing what he loved the most.

Scottlee
19-09-07, 11:19
Today's high scores
Tai-Yang - 3 months
Jinzhou - 'almost' 7 days
Guangzhou man - 3 days

--------------------------------

Anyone else fancy a go?

Laurencarter
19-09-07, 18:22
He has got to get a job and a life

Cord_Croft
19-09-07, 18:32
Heard this on Kerrang radio today..

Odd =\

Draco
19-09-07, 19:00
He has got to get a job and a life

Little late for that now isn't it?

As for the Chinese addiction to internet games, it is relatively easy to understand once you understand just how little a normal human life is worth over there. As sad as it is, the game he was playing was probably the most fulfilling thing he had ever done in his life.

It really is a different world over there.

trXD
19-09-07, 19:10
People that are saying he needs to get a life should be ashamed! Maybe he was playing video games all day for the right reasons

Chocolate
19-09-07, 19:13
People that are saying he needs to get a life should be ashamed! Maybe he was playing video games all day for the right reasons
I'd like to know what those reasons could be...

trXD
19-09-07, 19:18
I'd like to know what those reasons could be...

Maybe he wanted the last moments of his life to be happy by playing video games. He might have known he was going to die

Or maybe his life was so incredibly unfuflling that video games were the only thing he could feel confident on

vespertea
19-09-07, 19:37
Maybe he wanted the last moments of his life to be happy by playing video games. He might have known he was going to die

Doubt it.

Or maybe his life was so incredibly unfuflling that video games were the only thing he could feel confident on

That's the more likely answer of the two, but still a stretch. He was just addicted, that's all.

trXD
19-09-07, 19:56
Doubt it.

That's the more likely answer of the two, but still a stretch. He was just addicted, that's all.

People can be addicted whilst still using those two reasons. Im not going to post any more reasons because they will just be shrugged of with "doubt it"

PARANOIA
19-09-07, 19:57
Im not going to post any more reasons because they will just be shrugged of with "doubt it"

Then your reasons are wrong because you have no means of backing them up.

remote91
19-09-07, 22:18
Wow, thats really sad in both senses :(

irjudd
20-09-07, 13:32
Tisk tisk. Even the most leet of gamers knows there comes a time for hot pockets.

star girl
20-09-07, 15:40

woah..

LegenDarY
20-09-07, 16:55
I already read this story as soon as it happened. And there's an important details that's not mentioned in your article.

The man didn't eat/drink during those three days he was gaming at that internet cafe.

So a combination of all things (no sleeping, eating, drinking) is what killed him.

larson n natla
20-09-07, 16:59
Please take care when playing games there for fun like on hour or so this type of playong is out of control

sure im sorrry for him but i would advise anyone going on a marathon sech to eat while there playing :)

Beanz
20-09-07, 17:53
Ouch >.<