PDA

View Full Version : More gaming = lower grades!

trXD
19-09-07, 22:42
http://www.gamersquad.com/category/All-News/New-study-reveals-painfully-obvious-findings-more-gaming-=-lower-grades/
Well this is an eye opener:(

2kool4u
19-09-07, 22:43
no way! That cant be true, i play alot and do fine in school.

Tomb Raider Master
19-09-07, 22:44
What a revelation. :rolleyes: Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's true, at least in one hand.

nicola1986
19-09-07, 22:45
Yes but if ever the earth was invaded by aliens or robots we'd know how to kill them *cough-Blacksite: Area 51-cough*:D

PARANOIA
19-09-07, 22:45
http://www.gamersquad.com/category/All-News/New-study-reveals-painfully-obvious-findings-more-gaming-=-lower-grades/
Well this is an eye opener:(

Without reading the article, I call unrefuted bull****. Common sense would agree with me.

Encore
19-09-07, 22:46
Yeah... that's just another confortable way for the society to blame something innocuous for the youth's problems.

Yes but if ever the earth was invaded by aliens or robots we'd know how to kill them *cough-Blacksite: Area 51-cough*:D

ahahahah :vlol:

trXD
19-09-07, 22:46
Without reading the article, I call unrefuted bull****. Common sense would agree with me.

To be honest i think its true

even though i play games alot and im not stupid i feel like it makes me a bit dumber

2kool4u
19-09-07, 22:47
Thats ridiculous, Did you know Dr.s play video games before a surgery so there response time is more acurate? They also do it so the have percise decisions.

Laras Backpack
As the article said, it's down to poor time usage rather than the actual games themselves. Plus there are many different types of game and some require more cerebral activity than others. I've played games semi-regularly since I was 13/14 and I have straight As. But I only get to play a few times a week and I made a point of not bringing my games to univeristy as I knew that they'd be a distraction. So I think its more to do with discipline- i.e. giving in to the temptation to play games rather than spend that little extra time checking homework or reading. :)

Nevertheless, you know that some anti-game activist is going to misinterpret the data and just say that games rott kids' brains. :rolleyes:

trXD
Thats ridiculous, Did you know Dr.s play video games before a surgery so there response time is more acurate? They also do it so the have percise decisions.

I think those are just "techniccly" video games

2kool4u
19-09-07, 22:50
Come on its all about response time for every game, dont take the article literaly, I think it depends on the student.

nicola1986
19-09-07, 22:53
Yeah everyone's different, some of those people could have been raving drug addicts for example, it doesn't account for everything in a person's life. I wouldn't worry too much.

2kool4u
19-09-07, 22:55
Exactly! Off topic, the Silent Hill thread misses you :whi:

Quasimodo
19-09-07, 22:56
no, not doing your work at all/not doing your work right = lower grades.

nicola1986
19-09-07, 22:57
Aw thankies :D

I'll have to pop in again soon, got too impatient waiting for Silent Hill 5 news lol Gonna play SH3 after I've re-done TR4 so I'll probably be in loads :D

2kool4u
19-09-07, 23:00
There is ALOT of SH5 news there,
On topic Didnt they say the same thing on Tv?

Izzie404
19-09-07, 23:20
I'm not nomrally one to agree with Paranoia, but there are two things that I say in reply to this article:
1) The article isn't written at all professionally.
2) Isn't it something like 76% of all statistics are false?..

tranniversary119
19-09-07, 23:23
Maybe if they don't spend the time to study and play video games then yes. But otherwise i don't believe it.

silver_wolf
19-09-07, 23:50
Whatever. There's always someone out there who for some reason hates video games and wants to blame all our problems on them. I play video games and I get fine grades.

Mr.Burns
19-09-07, 23:55
They needed a study to figure that out? I've known that for 15 years. But people here have made a valid point, it depends on the person's ability to properly manage their time and if they have an addictive personality trait.

oocladableeblah
20-09-07, 00:31
From what I understand of the article it's not the video games themselves it's the choice that the kids are playing video games instead of studying. Unless I read it wrong.

Geck-o-Lizard
20-09-07, 00:39
I just have to say this. DUUUHHHHH.

Earthcane
20-09-07, 02:06
IMO, Kids dont game because they want to bunk off homework
for a couple of hours. They game cause they're really involved in, or addicted to, the game they're playing.

Data was accrued by getting 210 students to fill out "time-use diaries", and yielded some unsurprising results: namely that students who had ready access to a console or gaming PC studied for 40 minutes less each week, a deduction which translated to a first-semester drop of 0.241 points on a 4.0 scale.

Yeah, there's some pretty believable facts and figures there. But i still think
its all Propaganda, from Parents and Teachers to get their kids away from computer screens.

Forever_Laras_56
20-09-07, 02:17
yah then thay have a game tap ad at the middle of the paige:rolleyes:

that thing is so silly i do fine in school and i play video games all day(thats what study hall is for;)) i stoped at the end of the first paragraph so so sad

Mad Tony
20-09-07, 06:29
BS. I play a lot of video games and perform exceedingly well at school. I also have friends who play a fair amount of video games but perform well too.

As others have said, it's not about actually playing the video games, but whether or not the person in question can manage their time efficiently. You could have very little to do with video games, but if you can't be bothered to study then the outcome will be the same as someone who does play loads but doesn't make effective use of the time.

Elysia
20-09-07, 06:38
Well, there's a shocker. If you spend the time you should be studying doing something else, you get lower grades. My, my, I wonder how many thousands of pounds they spend on *that* particular gem of research... :rolleyes:

This is silly. Yes - if you spend the time you should be working playing games, you will not do as well. But, at the same time, if you spend that time out with friends / watching TV / in the bath / doodling / laying on your bed listening to music, guess what? You also get lower grades! And why is this? Because you haven't studied! (Quick: someone give that genius woman a massive research bursary...). Any form of procrastination will so this. Another example of using gaming as the scapegoat of choice.

Many professionals game in their spare time (I know I do) - it's all about time management, not that it gives you brain damage. Silly boffins...

Angel_14
20-09-07, 07:11
I play TR all day, yet I'm the best English student in the school (I'm not exaggerating) and my grades are around 4 averagely. I don't believe anything from it...

Legend of Lara
20-09-07, 09:15
Nevertheless, you know that some anti-game activist is going to misinterpret the data and just say that games rott kids' brains. :rolleyes:

Oh, they so already have. :rolleyes:

Did you know that Jack Thompson once tried to ban The Sims?

knutroald
20-09-07, 09:31

:vlol:

I play TR all day, yet I'm the best English student in the school (I'm not exaggerating) and my grades are around 4 averagely. I don't believe anything from it...
same here actually

Angel_14
20-09-07, 09:35
same here actually

Hmm, if I think about it, TR is actually one of the reasons I have good grades from drawing, P.E. and English :whi:

Dakaruch
20-09-07, 09:37
BULL****!!!

if you know how to manage your time, then there's no prob... i always played games a lot, and i always had great grades, i never failed at school! so i don't believe in that article... the trick is to manage your time, if you manage it wisely then you will have enough time for almost everything ;)

Bowie
20-09-07, 10:42
More gaming = lower grades

More TV = lower grades

More internet = lower grades

More learning to play an instrument = lower grades

More sports = lower grades

Or this can all be summed up as:

LESS STUDY/CLASSROOM ATTENTIVENESS = LOWER GRADES!!

Ikas90
20-09-07, 11:10
I don't play video games very often, and I still do bad. :rolleyes:

Ampersand
20-09-07, 14:13
Oh lawks, you mean kids do badly in school if they spend all their time playing games and not enough on their studies?

*insert NO WAI owl here*

Anajrob
20-09-07, 14:22
As the article said, it's down to poor time usage rather than the actual games themselves. Plus there are many different types of game and some require more cerebral activity than others. I've played games semi-regularly since I was 13/14 and I have straight As. But I only get to play a few times a week and I made a point of not bringing my games to univeristy as I knew that they'd be a distraction. So I think its more to do with discipline- i.e. giving in to the temptation to play games rather than spend that little extra time checking homework or reading. :)

Totally agreed. :tmb:

I play games all the time and use internet, but I study too - I have As in school ;)

Chocolate
20-09-07, 18:13
More gaming = lower grades

More TV = lower grades

More internet = lower grades

More learning to play an instrument = lower grades

More sports = lower grades
I do all those things but my grades tend to be higher than all my classmates...I'm not trying to boast or anything, but it's a fact!
Of course, I study properly as well. And that's what matters most.

nicola1986
20-09-07, 21:17
I never had bad grades and when I had my tutor all my work was marked A's and B's and I've always been a gamer girl :D

tweetygwee
20-09-07, 21:24
I do all those things but my grades tend to be higher than all my classmates...I'm not trying to boast or anything, but it's a fact!
Of course, I study properly as well. And that's what matters most.

Me too. As everyone has said, it's your attitude and time management that's important.

Reggie
20-09-07, 21:26
Oh lawks, you mean kids do badly in school if they spend all their time playing games and not enough on their studies?

*insert NO WAI owl here*

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/nowai-42443.jpg

Inserted :p

Beanz
20-09-07, 21:43
I play them and I'm in top set for everything apart from PE :confused:

moodydog
20-09-07, 21:46
eeh.. i dont believe that.. i am going to spend all tonight on games knowing that i will do fine.. coz i have just spent about 3 hours doing homework and coursework.. if get all my stuff done to a very good standard.. and then i can do whatever whithout having to worry..
its all about share.. your proportion from hobby:school work... just make sure that they are more or less balanced and it wont really affect your grades badly..

Indiana Croft
20-09-07, 23:57
that is bs. It's just the kid.

The kid knows how to stratagize, work all the controls on the game consol, remembers cheat codes, can find any hidden item in the game but can't get even a B on an english test? some kids are just lazy and only TRY on things they enjoy. This is just more bs to justify being stupid

Twilight
21-09-07, 01:54
oh really now? did they read the article in which games help make better brain surgeons? better army ppl? guess not.

pffft. i play games lik crazy when i was in middle school and i had the highest grades in the class. and when i play games (well the ones i play), i think more than i do in school and feel smarter.

that article is a load of BULL****.

Fish.
21-09-07, 02:31
OMG! I never knew this before :pi:

A waste of money if you ask me, I mean we all knew it. :rolleyes:

aquaflute
21-09-07, 03:12
No playing games doesn't conflict with studying, but in my case I do realise playing games takes over my time to play sports when i'm younger. So now I play less games and work out more.
I mean playing games won't take over the part you use to study, but it will take over your other activities(social, sports, clubs, even relationship!) besides that.

kryptonite23
21-09-07, 04:13
I believe that,I even experienced it. :)

domina
21-09-07, 04:29
Like other folks said, it's about time management. With younger kids parental influence certainly plays a role and certain personalities are more prone to let distractions get in the way, but I don't think the games themselves are causing a decline in academic intelligence.

kryptonite23
21-09-07, 04:34
Like other folks said, it's about time management. With younger kids parental influence certainly plays a role and certain personalities are more prone to let distractions get in the way, but I don't think the games themselves are causing a decline in academic intelligence.
That is why tiem is gold. :D

Bustus
21-09-07, 04:35
Let's put it this way: Doing anything instead of your homework can and will affect your grades.

vespertea
21-09-07, 04:39
Let's put it this way: Doing anything instead of your homework can and will affect your grades.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :rolleyes:

danitiwa
21-09-07, 04:40
no way! That cant be true, i play alot and do fine in school.

Ditto, it's just those stupid intelegent people acting smart again because they can do a math problem. :rolleyes:

Wise, Clever, Intelegent. All very different topics. :wve:

Some people are better at balancing work and games, some n ot: That's why they should be stricter on doing homework etc. Restrictions aren't that hard.

KurtisLonely
21-09-07, 06:03
ah, so that explains my low grades at school :tea:

Joe_16
21-09-07, 10:58
Surely everyone knew this?

I played loads as a teenager and concequently my homework suffered, as did revision.

PARANOIA
21-09-07, 11:03
Just remember, kiddies. Not only will you find superfluous (and possibly untrue) studies like these in your distant future...

...you'll be obligated to pay taxes for them.

kryptonite23
21-09-07, 14:52
Just remember, kiddies. Not only will you find superfluous (and possibly untrue) studies like these in your distant future...

...you'll be obligated to pay taxes for them.
Exactly,it is for your future. :D

Gravastars
21-09-07, 14:55
Well, I got 7 As at GCSE so I must be doing something right.

In fact, grades can suffer BECAUSE of a lack of leisure. Gaming, for me, relieves stress which = better concentration in class. Same with sports.

It's all about balance.

Inkheart
21-09-07, 15:30
Well, I got 7 As at GCSE so I must be doing something right.

In fact, grades can suffer BECAUSE of a lack of leisure. Gaming, for me, relieves stress which = better concentration in class. Same with sports.

It's all about balance.

I concur. The schools and professors can't really analyse it fairly because every pupil is different anyway.

ThomasCroft
21-09-07, 15:32
As long as video games are played in moderation, there's no problem with it. And it won't lower your grades unless you substitute gaming time for study time. You can always keep both.

trXD
21-09-07, 15:36
Will people please stop posting about how its actually about how an unbalance with games and school makes low grades not just grades.

God i have read the same post said in a diffrent way about 90 times (for those of you that are stupid i was being sarcastic)

Mr.Burns
21-09-07, 15:40
@trXD: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If the thread has become too repetitive for you, no one's forcing you to continue reading it.

@Thomas: True for some but not all I'm afraid. Some people have poor time management skills, short attention spans, etc. Take those two examples and put them together...well the result is someone who needs additional support in those two areas. But yes, for the most part, if one can learn to, gaming in moderation can work.

trXD
21-09-07, 15:42
@trXD: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If the thread has become too repetitive for you, no one's forcing you to continue reading it.

I guess your right but i always like to read through my threads to see what people say. And lately im getting a bit annoyed that the same people keep saying the same things!

ThomasCroft
21-09-07, 15:44
@Thomas: True for some but not all I'm afraid. Some people have poor time management skills, short attention spans, etc. Take those two examples and put them together...well the result is someone who needs additional support in those two areas. But yes, for the most part, if one can learn to, gaming in moderation can work.

I completely agree. It works for me, after all.

I guess your right but i always like to read through my threads to see what people say. And lately im getting a bit annoyed that the same people keep saying the same things!

Get over it. Sorry. It's on topic, and it isn't spam. The fact that people keep saying the same things only stengthens the likelihood that what they're saying is right.

trXD
21-09-07, 15:47
Get over it. Sorry. It's on topic, and it isn't spam. The fact that people keep saying the same things only stengthens the likelihood that what they're saying is right.

Its completley fine if people keep saying the same things. But its just the same people over and over again. I dont want to start a spamming (yes it is spamming) argument so i just shouldnt read or post in this thread again;)

Gravastars
21-09-07, 23:00
Sarcasm and hyperbole aren't the same things by the way. Maybe you should stop playing so many video games and brush up.

Oh, and...
The fact that people keep saying the same things only stengthens the likelihood that what they're saying is right.

Common consensus should never be used to measure the validity of an argument, not even to a certain extent. This is why 'X amount of people can't be wrong!' is such a fallacy.

Deepthought
21-09-07, 23:13
Even though this article does seem fake and illrelivant, it does have a small point. Pointless shooters and GTA's don't exactly make you smarter. I myself am a person who perfers a more immersive game that is more then just a game. A game that is like an interactive movie. People underestimate the power of games. Serriusly, do games have any more stupid concepts and brain-draining fads than any other media? How about the TV? It has so much pointless talk shows and no-brainer citcoms to count.

Eddie Haskell
21-09-07, 23:15
Sarcasm and hyperbole aren't the same things by the way. Maybe you should stop playing so many video games and brush up.

Oh, and...

Common consensus should never be used to measure the validity of an argument, not even to a certain extent. This is why 'X amount of people can't be wrong!' is such a fallacy.

Exactly. Particularly if I personally disagree with the "consensus" point of view.:) Just to be safe, make sure that you are on my side of an argument, than you can't be wrong...;)

Gaming is addictive, and therefore can take an inordinate amount of one's time doing basically useless playing. Parents or guardians are needed to steer/force these "addicted" kids to alter or structure their free time for their benefit. They'll thank them a few years down the road.

Forever_Laras_56
21-09-07, 23:19

ummm yah i think this is his thread so i think he can read it and post in it if he wants to;)

Deepthought
21-09-07, 23:20
Gaming is addictive, and therefore can take an inordinate amount of one's time doing basically useless playing. Parents or guardians are needed to steer/force these "addicted" kids to alter or structure their free time for their benefit. They'll thank them a few years down the road.

well, what other activities are better to use peoples free time? Sports? There are way too much people who persue sports and basicly none of them are going to get sucessfull on it. Any fun, time killing activity is basically "useless", even though they are not. Any way to kill time could easily be better for your experiance in the long run.

Eddie Haskell
21-09-07, 23:24
well, what other activities are better to use peoples free time? Sports? There are way too much people who persue sports and basicly none of them are going to get sucessfull on it. Any fun, time killing activity is basically "useless", even though they are not. Any way to kill time could easily be better for your experiance in the long run.

Not correct. Most sports build strong bodies and make one healthier. Certainly much more useful than plopping ones fat ass down on couch or chair in front of a screen.

Deepthought
21-09-07, 23:37
Not true, sports just taught me how nasty and cruel people could be at a young age. At least gaming keeps me in high spirits.

Quasimodo
21-09-07, 23:40
Not true, sports just taught me how nasty and cruel people could be at a young age.

Sports taught me how much it sucks to be a liability to the team. *bad childhood memories*...

PARANOIA
22-09-07, 01:20
Not true, sports just taught me how nasty and cruel people could be at a young age. At least gaming keeps me in high spirits.

You mean... the aspect of competition in sports?