PDA

View Full Version : Animal Heroics

myrmaad
22-09-07, 15:01
My crazy cat "Manson" who is wildish and was tortured as a kitten actually saved our lives one time.

My husband was cooking crabs (Sigh! ) after we had been to a party, it was a rare occasion when my father had a drink with him, and it was MOONSHINE!

I told him to wait until tomorrow and I went to bed.

But instead he started the crabs, and fell asleep. It was late October and the windows were closed, about 4 am my cat came into the bedroom and stood on his hind legs and slapped the bed really hard with his paw, waking me up. The house was so thick with smoke that it had reached waist level. I was terrified! I found my husband asleep on the couch and thank god the pot had not actually caught on fire, it had been burning since 11pm.

If Manson hadn't woken me, we could have died from smoke inhalation, it was really that bad!

Here is another Hero Cat story that was in the news:
Hero Cat Saves Life of Ohio Resident

January 3, 2006

Move over canines, the felines have joined the rescue scene. Police aren't sure how it could have happened, but when an officer in Columbus, Ohio walked into an apartment recently to answer a 911 call, an orange-and-tan striped cat was lying by a telephone on the living room floor. Cat owner, Gary Rosheisen, was on the floor near his bed having fallen out of his wheelchair.

Rosheisen said his cat, Tommy, must have hit the right buttons to call 911.

"I know it sounds kind of weird," Officer Patrick Daugherty said, searching for some other explanation according to a Chicago Tribune account.

Rosheisen said he couldn't get up because of his painful osteoporosis and ministrokes that affect his balance. He also couldn't reach a cord above his pillow that alerts paramedics that he needs help.
Police said they received a 911 call from Rosheisen's apartment, but there was no one on the phone so they decided to check things out.
That's when Officer Daugherty found Tommy next to the phone.

According to Rosheisen the cat has lived with him for three years. He tried to train him to call 911, unsure if the cat actually got it. The phone in the living room is always on the floor, and there are 12 small buttons -- including a speed dial for 911 right above the button for the speaker phone.

"He's my hero," Rosheisen said.

Find this article at:
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2006/01/03/63666.htm

My cat, Manson:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/Pict0135.jpg

interstellardave
22-09-07, 15:03
Cats rule! Excellent story... I don't have a personal story to share like this but I do have some great cat stories... perhaps another thread would cover those...

Greenkey2
22-09-07, 15:05
Very interesting.

However, your cat seems to have had an identity crisis:

Rosheisen said his cat, Tommy, must have hit the right buttons to call 911.

Also interesting that this article is nearly two years old.

myrmaad
22-09-07, 15:08
Very interesting.

However, your cat seems to have had an identity crisis:

Also interesting that this article is nearly two years old.

Because of his name? :tea: Well you'd have to know him.

I don't think there's a limit to how old the stories are to make them good.

Here's another:

Hero Cat Roused Sleeping Owner as Carbon Monoxide Filled Family's Home

Thursday , April 05, 2007

AP

NEW CASTLE, Ind.
A cat helped spare a family from death by carbon monoxide poisoning by jumping on the bed and meowing wildly as fumes filled the home, the owners said.

Eric and Cathy Keesling said their 14-year-old cat, Winnie, played a crucial role in saving their lives March 24 after a gasoline-powered water pump in their basement caused the odorless but deadly gas to build up.

About 1 a.m., the domestic shorthair began nudging Cathy's ear and meowing loudly.

"It was a crazy meow, almost like she was screaming," said Cathy, who hesitated to get up until Winnie's caterwauling and jumping persisted.

When she finally climbed from bed, she realized she was nauseous and dizzy and couldn't awaken her husband. Because he had undergone minor neck surgery the previous day, she decided to call 911 but was so disoriented she had trouble dialing.

Paramedics found the couple's 14-year-old son, Michael, unconscious on the floor near his bedroom. The Keeslings were taken from the home in oxygen masks, treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and soon recovered.

Cathy Keesling said Winnie acted similarly last summer when tornadoes tore through the area, 45 miles east of Indianapolis.

"I really believe cats can sense these kind of things," she said.

Find this story at
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,264399,00.html

interstellardave
22-09-07, 15:09
^^^ One was her own personal story involving her cat, "Manson". The other story was someone elses' involving the cat "tommy".

kryptonite23
22-09-07, 15:13
Your cat have an own identity that you still do not discover.
There's a jungle out there. :D

myrmaad
22-09-07, 15:17
As usual, InterstellarDave, you were right again!!:hea:

Greenkey2
22-09-07, 15:17
myrmaad, I'm not saying that you're were lying, or misleading anyone. But I made my comments because you don't actually say that your cat and the one quoted in the article are different.

It's like me randomly saying "wow, my gradmother had a fall last week" and quoting an article about how unsteady old people are on their feet that was printed eighteen months ago.

For the benefit of idiots like myself, could you be a little clearer in future? ;)

Now, on a more serious note - your cat deserves a medal! :hug: :D

trXD
22-09-07, 15:18
Just shows how much animals can act on instinct. Your cat obviously knew something was wrong and looked up to you as the person that could solve its problems.

Your cat must really love you:D

myrmaad
22-09-07, 15:19
myrmaad, I'm not saying that you're were lying, or misleading anyone. But I made my comments because you don't actually say that your cat and the one quoted in the article are different.

It's like me randomly saying "wow, my gradmother had a fall last week" and quoting an article about how unsteady old people are on their feet that was printed eighteen months ago.

For the benefit of idiots like myself, could you be a little clearer in future? ;)

Now, on a more serious note - your cat deserves a medal! :hug: :D

I edited it to make it more clear, thank you for pointing that out.

Yes well, Manson is one of a kind, and I think he deserves a great life.

myrmaad
22-09-07, 15:20
Just shows how much animals can act on instinct. Your cat obviously knew something was wrong and looked up to you as the person that could solve its problems.

Your cat must really love you:D

It's mutual! :hug:

Greenkey2
22-09-07, 15:22
I edited it to make it more clear, thank you for pointing that out.

Yes well, Manson is one of a kind, and I think he deserves a great life.

Thank you :hug:

All cats do :tmb: Give him plenty of fuss from us :wve:

myrmaad
22-09-07, 15:26
Thank you :hug:

All cats do :tmb: Give him plenty of fuss from us :wve:

I will! :hug:

Did you see the third story I posted about the Carbon Monoxide kitty hero?

Here's a fourth story about a hero cat:
Hero cat saves family
Barney and Gerald Gerald Davies, his wife and 23-year-old son were in bed in their house in Gwersyllt, near Wrexham, when their kitchen cooker caught fire - but Barney the cat came to the rescue.

Six-year-old Barney woke the family by racing upstairs and making lots of noise.

His heroic antics won him a national competition run by the Cats Protection League.

The organisation, which rescues and rehomes unwanted and abandoned cats, named Barney cat of the year.

Mr and Mrs Davies travelled to London for the ceremony in February 2003.

Mr Davies, 56, said the black cat, who has lived with them since he was left to fend for himself by his previous owners, was a winner to them following the fire in August 2002.

He said the family were lucky that Barney was nearby on the night of the fire.

"There had been an electrical fault on the cooker and the house was filled with smoke - if it hadn't been for Barney we wouldn't be here now," he said.

"Normally he doesn't go upstairs but he went up that day and was making a loud noise.

"The smoke was dangerous and there were fumes from the plastic.

"We'd only been in here about six days, but Barney went upstairs in the early hours of the morning and woke my son.

"He thought the cat wanted to go out, but when my son put the light on he found the house full of smoke.

"After what he did, he means everything to us - I think we wouldn't be here now because the smoke in the house that night was unbelievable," he added.
find this story at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/sites/pets/pages/barney.shtml

tomblover
22-09-07, 16:11
I wuv cats more than Greenkey does! :ton:

But really, those stories are amazing.