PDA

View Full Version : A Requiem For Lara Croft.

EgyptianSoul
23-09-07, 10:42
I myself liked the Legend story. It was most personal of all the games. It was not just about hunting for relics, but about Lara. Her history, her feelings, her search for the truth. I loved the fact that Lara was expressing emotions. 8 games already made, the 9th coming... I'll look forward for seeing more Tomb Raider, but for the sake of the quality of the series, it should'nt be spoiled. There has to be an end someday, before the game gets ruined. For me, Tomb Raider is the best of all games/game series made in the world. I'd hate to see it end bad. For Lara, for Tomb Raider, for all of us.

One Lara
23-09-07, 10:54
A successful game usually ends in a trilogy, if people are still interested in the franchise then a beginning of another trilogy will be made but with a different story and style.

Tomb Raider doesn't have to end, many people love it and there are lots of things you can do with it. If Lara ever 'dies' my reaction would be equal as the death of a very close relative, believe it or not.

If you feel that way, I don't understand how you can still play Tomb Raider and enjoy it. If it's fun, why would you want to kill it? I don't think it's for the good, there is so much to do with Tomb Raider, I'm saying this in a good way.

If Tomb Raider ever steers the wrong direction then I would surely try to do something to take it to the right one.

EgyptianSoul
23-09-07, 10:59
I understand what you're saying. I love the game. I hope you are correct about the possibilities of future games. I don't want TR to end. I just wish it stays a top quality game, that's all. Spent my childhood playing Tomb Raider, the series has a place in my heart.

Reggie
23-09-07, 11:01
I agree that there should now be a forseeable plan or timetable to draw Tomb Raider to a close.
Here's my ideal plan...

------------------------------------------------------------

Brown = 1st "next gen" engine
Blue = Updated/Revamped/New Engine (to keep it fresh)

Tomb Raider 8
Finishes the Legend/Anniversary story arc
[should be released in 2009]

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness Remake
To restore faith from the media and other nay sayers in the AOD franchise
[should be released in 2011]

Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness Sequel (TR9)
Finishes what was started in TR:AOD
[should be released in 2014]

Tomb Raider 10
One final awesome standalone (not a sequel) TR game to say goodbye on the PS4/Xbox720 :p
[should be released in 2017 - The 20th Anniversary]

NOTE THAT BETWEEN EVERY TR GAME THERE SHOULD BE SOME SORT OF NOTEWORTHY UPDATE TO THE ENGINE

I've allowed for a minimum of 2 years development for each TR game. With the critical ones, I've allowed for 3 years development. For example, the gap between the TR:AOD remake and the TR:AOD sequel. This allows for a major update to the engine to keep things fresh. This extended amount of time for development means that smaller but still notworthy updates between each TR game are possible as well preventing masses of the game ending up on the cutting room floor.

One Lara
23-09-07, 11:03
I understand what you're saying. I love the game. I hope you are correct about the possibilities of future games. I don't want TR to end. I just wish it stays a top quality game, that's all. Spent my childhood playing Tomb Raider, the series has a place in my heart.

Me too, I would hate to see it fail but it's doing pretty well for the moment. I'm serious about me doing something to make tomb raider a top quality game if it ever drops in that category so I believe the fans, Tomb Raider and Lara are safe, I guess.

EgyptianSoul
23-09-07, 11:04
I agree with you completely on the subject that AOD should get a closure. We need to know what happened to Kurtis at least.

One Lara
23-09-07, 11:32
I agree with you completely on the subject that AOD should get a closure. We need to know what happened to Kurtis at least.

They never planned on what was going to happen to him so someone will just have to guess and blend it in to have a closure.

It should be interesting but I don't really care for Kurtis.

Earthcane
23-09-07, 13:47
I myself liked the Legend story. It was most personal of all the games. It was not just about hunting for relics, but about Lara. Her history, her feelings, her search for the truth. I loved the fact that Lara was expressing emotions. 8 games already made, the 9th coming... I'll look forward for seeing more Tomb Raider, but for the sake of the quality of the series, it should'nt be spoiled. There has to be an end someday, before the game gets ruined. For me, Tomb Raider is the best of all games/game series made in the world. I'd hate to see it end bad. For Lara, for Tomb Raider, for all of us.
Hear, hear!

IMO, Core made a bad decision "Killing" off Lara in Last Revelation. The series was going fine until that final FMV in LR. Even tho it was a really emotional and surprising ending,
I cant help but think that they shot themselves in the foot.

The AOD storyline was amazing, revolutionary, whatevr, but I agree that the story needs some closure.

RAID
23-09-07, 14:28
I don't think Lara will stop any time soon. Just like James Bond, Indiana Jones and Mario. I don't like the new direction of course, but that's besides the point.

One thing I can't stand about this series is how unfinished some storylines are.

I'm not a fan of trilogies, so TR8 (no sooner than November 2009 or 2010 pls) should just end the Legend storyline so that we would move on to something new, or better...the old pre-Legend storyline. I'm talking about The Last Revelation, to show us what happened to Lara after she was buried alive in Egypt, and what she saw to make her who she was in AOD.

As for AOD goes, the game was planned to be something massive, fresh and IMO awesome, but as it was released in half, the storyline is missing, the gameplay is buggy and pretty much everyone knows the outcome. (Just our luck TR fans...I might add)

I'm not a fan of Crystal's "remakes", and the last thing we/the series want is for AOD to be tied with Lara's parents going up against Eckhart when she was just a kid, or for the areas to be made smaller than they already are and full of ledges, poles, grapple points, and lack or creativity.

However, I would be willing to give the AOD storyline another chance to redeem, yet, if AOD is suppose to be a trilogy, then they should use the PS3 technology and Blu Ray to release the trilogy as one massive game, which however is not TR9. This would also include to part where it shows what happened to Lara after TR4. Consider it a proper remake in the series, which adds stuff instead of cutting (the way a remake is suppose to be).

Games beyond Tomb Raider VIII, should have independent storylines, just like it was in the first three games.

rowanlim
25-09-07, 13:23
I agree that there should now be a forseeable plan or timetable to draw Tomb Raider to a close.
Here's my ideal plan...

Brown = 1st "next gen" engine
Blue = Updated/Revamped/New Engine (to keep it fresh)

Tomb Raider 8
Finishes the Legend/Anniversary story arc
[should be released in 2009]

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness Remake
To restore faith from the media and other nay sayers in the AOD franchise
[should be released in 2011]

Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness Sequel (TR9)
Finishes what was started in TR:AOD
[should be released in 2014]

Tomb Raider 10
One final awesome standalone (not a sequel) TR game to say goodbye on the PS4/Xbox720 :p
[should be released in 2017 - The 20th Anniversary]

NOTE THAT BETWEEN EVERY TR GAME THERE SHOULD BE SOME SORT OF NOTEWORTHY UPDATE TO THE ENGINE

I've allowed for a minimum of 2 years development for each TR game. With the critical ones, I've allowed for 3 years development. For example, the gap between the TR:AOD remake and the TR:AOD sequel. This allows for a major update to the engine to keep things fresh. This extended amount of time for development means that smaller but still notworthy updates between each TR game are possible as well preventing masses of the game ending up on the cutting room floor.

i totaly agree with u....
very well-thought out time line for upcoming games :tmb:

i esp agree that there should be a remake for AOD...it had so much potential to be a great TR game, probably the best, but it was spoiled by bad controls etc....it deserves a chance to be remade...

bout new ideas, that is a necessity coz TR needs to be fresh but stick to wat lara does best:exploring. IMO thats the most important feel of TR games. a basic ingredient, if u will...

TR will never die out coz its difrent & if we keep her in our hearts, she wil live forever :hug:

Mona Sax
25-09-07, 14:24
I want the series to end with a bang before it goes down the drain, maybe with TR9 being the big finale. I hope it won't end with the conclusion of the Legend storyline, though - the series deserves better than this sappy, anti-TR, clichéd story. Lara should get a great exit, the lonesome cowgirl riding into the sunset, always in search of the next adventure, not some family baggage dragging her down.

Encore
25-09-07, 14:31
I don't want Tomb Raider to end EVER, I grew up playing it and it will always be my favorite game.. I don't care how many 180 degree changes the series will have in the future, I want Lara to live forever. :o (wishful thinking?)