PDA

View Full Version : Help from American members

la-la-lara
23-09-07, 19:28
The following must be an American idiom. Doesn't sound British to me...
Anyway, it's...totally incomprehensible to me, so I'd like you to explicate:
<< I am not gonna be that little Dutch boy with my finger in the dam no more>>.
:confused:

vespertea
23-09-07, 19:31
I know what phrase you're referring to, but I can't remember the exact wording; I never really understood what it meant anyways.

Zac Medley
23-09-07, 19:36
The dutch boy with his finger in the dam is a picture of a person upon whom great responsibility has fallen, and without whom the situation would go from stable but tenuous, to out of control.

I doubt it is an American idiom, since a lot of Americans think that "Dutch," is where the man and woman pay for their own meals on a date. The fact that Dutch refers to the country of Holland, a good portion of which is below sea-level, and which is protected by dams, is a little remote from most people's sphere of experience.

The story goes that the little boy realized that the dam was leaking, so he put his finger in the hole to stop the leak. The question then becomes: does the boy continue to stop the leak with his finger, or go tell someone that the dam is leaking? An irony, since to go tell someone that the dam is leaking may well bring disaster upon an entire community. Yet by staying alone with his finger in the dam (or dike) he is an unsung hero and nobody even knows about his selfless sacrifice.

la-la-lara
23-09-07, 19:45
The dutch boy with his finger in the dam is a picture of a person upon whom great responsibility has fallen, and without whom the situation would go from stable but tenuous, to out of control.

I doubt it is an American idiom, since a lot of Americans think that "Dutch," is where the man and woman pay for their own meals on a date. The fact that Dutch refers to the country of Holland, a good portion of which is below sea-level, and which is protected by dams, is a little remote from most people's sphere of experience.

The story goes that the little boy realized that the dam was leaking, so he put his finger in the hole to stop the leak. The question then becomes: does the boy continue to stop the leak with his finger, or go tell someone that the dam is leaking? An irony, since to go tell someone that the dam is leaking may well bring disaster upon an entire community. Yet by staying alone with his finger in the dam (or dike) he is an unsung hero and nobody even knows about his selfless sacrifice.

Wow, thank you! Yes, I was proved wrong finally, but it just came up as a random thought, because I heard it in an American movie. Thanx again.