PDA

View Full Version : Police Stories

Lara Coft Baby
23-09-07, 22:29
As you may or may not know, I really want to be a writer. And for the past six years I have been trying to write a story called Agent Matthews (title subject to change) Its a story about Alivia Matthews who is a cop trying to find the murderer of her sister. I have been stuck a paragraphic and a half into chapter 3. I need some help, with like the lingo that Cops and Lawyers use and stuff. I know very little. Could some one tell me what some of it means :p Reading cop stories books don't help cause it don't really explain it good enough. Dose any one know? I want to know pretty much all of the lingo that both Cops and Lawyers use. I would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks

Earthcane
23-09-07, 22:43
Well, for Lawyers watch either Boston Legal or Justice. Theyre brilliant!

Is the story set in the States, the UK, or elsewhere? Different countries have different
phrases/slang.
I dont know any good cop thrillers.

Its a story about Alivia Matthews who is a cop trying to find the murderer of her sister

A female cop? What you've just written there reminds me of the character Sara Pezzini in Witchblade.
She has that tough, no-holds-barred attitude you'd assosiate with a New York Cop.

( Linky):

http://www.comicoo.com/Witchblade/index.htm

The story sounds exciting already. I love gritty cop-thrillers set in the seedy underground of city back-streets :D

Good luck with your story. An important thing to remember when you are writing is get thru the first few paragraphs quickly, ensnaring the reader in the story. Then you're off!

Lara Coft Baby
23-09-07, 22:45
Well the story will either take place in Texas or in L.A California. I am leaning more towards California.

BTW thanks ;)

Zac Medley
24-09-07, 00:20
See if you can find any of the old "Cagney and Lacey," TV shows. That was about a couple of women cops (probably in LA). One was a married mom, the other a neurotic single woman. I was a teen when it was on the TV years ago, and I haven't heard a word about it for years, but I enjoyed it.

Another good one, set in Chicago, was "Hill Street Blues." It had some awesome female characters. Just thinking about the theme music sends a shiver up my spine.

Good luck, and happy writing. :tmb:

Lara Coft Baby
24-09-07, 00:46
Thanks but when I watch shows some times they don't really explain the lingo. Trust me I watch all the CSI's all the Law and Order, and With out a trace ect... :ton: I want a bit more help in explaining the definitions of the lingo. :p

Zac Medley
24-09-07, 00:52
Well post the specific phrases and I'm sure that you will get lots of help.

"With out a trace," is really, "without a trace." It just means that someone or something disappeared without leaving behind any clues how to find it.

bloodstormaoa
24-09-07, 00:55
"Alivia"? Thats an unusual name...

Earthcane
24-09-07, 01:05
Alivia... kinda rolls of the tongue, doesnt it? Cool name!
Its better to be original and creative than dull and repetitive ;)

I want a bit more help in explaining the definitions of the lingo.

Dunno how to help you here, really. I can readily imagine a cop story set in Tinsel-town, L. A, more than Texas. Am, IMO, try not to get too bogged down with the terminology and phraseology, tho. Yeah, dialogue is a key ingredient in a good story, but you dont have to focus too much on the actual way of saying things.

Have your characters say what you want them to say, not what you think they're more likely to say.
Its your story afterall!

Its hard to tell really, could you post some examples to give a general idea of what your trying to get across?

Lara Coft Baby
24-09-07, 01:07
Well post the specific phrases and I'm sure that you will get lots of help.

"With out a trace," is really, "without a trace." It just means that someone or something disappeared without leaving behind any clues how to find it.
UHH DUH! :tea: :p lol I know what it means. :ton: hehe Just any kind of phrase. All of the ones they use. I can't think of the right off the top of my head right now.

Its like Olivia only with and A and pronounced with an A :D

Lara Coft Baby
24-09-07, 01:10
Dunno how to help you here, really. I can readily imagine a cop story set in Tinsel-town, L. A, more than Texas. Am, IMO, try not to get too bogged down with the terminology and phraseology, tho. Yeah, dialogue is a key ingredient in a good story, but you dont have to focus too much on the actual way of saying things.

Have your characters say what you want them to say, not what you think they're more likely to say.
Its your story afterall!

Its hard to tell really, could you post some examples to give a general idea of what your trying to get across?

Its always good to know them just in case. :p

I know very little cop lingo,

bus = ambulance

DOA = dead on arrival

10-13 = Officer in need of assistance i.e. officer down

Unmarked = undercover police car

Thats bout it

kryptonite23
24-09-07, 15:28
Its always good to know them just in case. :p

I know very little cop lingo,

bus = ambulance

DOA = dead on arrival

10-13 = Officer in need of assistance i.e. officer down

Unmarked = undercover police car

Thats bout it
Where did you get those things??

Lara Coft Baby
24-09-07, 20:48
well i do watch alot of cop shows and those I picked up. But I have a hard time picking up what the rest of it means.