PDA

View Full Version : The most beautiful Rose of all!

bloodstormaoa
24-09-07, 23:05
*WARNING* Not for those that find attempts at romantic displays of affection annoying! *WARNING*

Ok, well I decided I'd try a portrait of my girlfriend with a twist. I haven't bought her anything really expensive lately (that doesn't include dinner) so I thought "hmmmm.....a present from the heart is better anyway (and cheaper)".. I used a combination of photos I had lying around!

I quite liked it until I scanned it :(

So before I present it to her, I ask you kind people for your opinions and critique! I still have time (and an eraser!) for an edit so.....yeah, here it is!!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s293/bloodstormaoa/Rose.jpg

Notes:
-I can't draw backgrounds confidently so attempted a "vague" one instead.

Things I think are wrong:
-The right eye (as you're looking at it) seems wrongly placed.
-Head:body proportion.

(feel free to agree/disagree with these and definitely add your own if you can)

All and any help is appreciated

trXD
24-09-07, 23:10
Awww

Izzie404
24-09-07, 23:11
It looks really cool! :tmb:

But, since it would help more to tell you how to make it better, One little thing that would help is to make the left [her left] eyebrow a little more visible. It looks a little faded, because it looks lik eit is part of the shading for the inset of the eyes

Quasimodo
I wouldn't change anything - it's a beautiful drawing as is and a really sweet gesture :tmb: Lucky girl...

Legend Killer
I like it :)
I don't think the placement of the eye is off, but rather the size of it compared to the left (as you're looking at it). It seems to fit pretty well with the upper nose area :)

Nice pencil work :tmb:

Dakaruch
24-09-07, 23:15
amazing! it is very cool and your girl must be very happy with it!
:tmb:

Earthcane
24-09-07, 23:17
All I can say is this: you're one lucky guy! :cln::D

IMO, the body is very well proportioned. I love the Corset and I have to say you did an a mazing job with the rose she's holding.

I don't think the placement of the eye is off, but rather the size of it compared to the left (as you're looking at it). It seems to fit pretty well with the upper nose area

Yeah, what they said :D

I like the lips, the shading around the face, and the long flowing hair.

You Rock at this, Bloodstorm, keep up the fab work!! ;)

( I'm sure she'll love it.)

gtkilla
24-09-07, 23:37
Awwwww, how sweet. :D

Things I think are wrong:
-Head:body proportion.

Mmhmm, the head looks a bit too big for the body(kinda like those anime people with the tiny frames and big heads :o) and the left eye is too wide. But, other than that :tmb: :tmb: :tmb: I think your girlfriend is going to love it! XD

bloodstormaoa
24-09-07, 23:37
Thanks everyone so far :hug: I really want to make this special, so any further help would be great!

Noted so far:
-Left eyebrow
-Right eye too big

Does no one think the head might be a little big? :o

EDIT: :Yah: Gt-man does.....I'm not going crazy!:hug:

Earthcane
24-09-07, 23:56
Have you ever heard the phrase: Quit while your ahead ??

Seriously, i know all about it : I've fecked up too many sketches in past art classes by adding to them, rubbing parts out, etc. Imo.

I think the pic is a class-act as it stands:

Noted so far:
-Left eyebrow
-Right eye too big

yup, change 'em a bit if you want to .

Great sketch tho ;)

bloodstormaoa
24-09-07, 23:59
^ I'm too much of a perfectionist to leave things be, Earthcane. If something can be done to make something better.....I'll have to do it.

star girl
25-09-07, 00:19

I wish I could draw like you... :pi:

that is a BEAUTIFUL sketch.. BS, it's perfect! :tmb: I'm sure your girlfriend would love it! :)

bloodstormaoa
25-09-07, 00:34
^ Thanks Star :hug: I hope so.....

Minor Edits done:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s293/bloodstormaoa/Rose2.jpg

Edits include:

-Left eyebrow
-Resized right eye
-Broadening of shoulders and slight change in position and neck in order to balance out proportion.

Any better?

star girl
25-09-07, 00:49
Looks better now :tmb:

gtkilla
25-09-07, 00:51
Much better. :tmb: The wider shoulders definitely balances everything out and the eye no longer looks weird. The hair on her left shoulder also looks better for some reason. The whole thing is damn near perfect, well done. :tmb:

BTW, this drawing reminds me of Devon Aoki a lot..

bloodstormaoa
25-09-07, 01:12
Thanks guys!:hug:

I think it's nearly ready......unless others can think of other fixable things!?

BTW, this drawing reminds me of Devon Aoki a lot..

Don't insult my girlfriend ;)

:p

If that's the case......I've obviously drawn a really inaccurate portrait :(

Vickkyyy
25-09-07, 01:15
gorgeous !!

gtkilla
25-09-07, 01:24
Don't insult my girlfriend ;)

:p

If that's the case......I've obviously drawn a really inaccurate portrait :(

Seriously?!

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/2892/DevonAoki_Grani_4706185_400.jpg

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/devon-aoki/pictures/devon-aoki-picture-1.jpg

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/1141472158292358.JPG?0.9399467851949587

Well, I guess it's just a matter of taste then. :p

Natey168
25-09-07, 01:32
It's great! :tmb:

Tihocan9
25-09-07, 02:49
Amazing art, I love your shading, I wish I had the patience to learn to draw, you got a great talent and you are not wasting it the picture looks beautiful and I bet she will love it. I think it is great the way it is but (maybe its just me) but the smile looks a little on the smug side or mean side, I dont mean to be mean I just think it needs to be a tad softer unless thats what you wanted then its perfect.

Great Job (sorry if what i said was insulting I dont mean it that way)

mattlsu
25-09-07, 02:52
It looks great, wouldn't change a thing. I don't see what you're talking about with the right eye. Looks flawless. :) Great work, thanks for sharing!

vespertea
25-09-07, 03:50
Well, it's about time, Blood! One of the best drawings I've seen here. If your girlfriend is that beautiful, you must be very lucky -- and she must be very lucky to have a fellow who'd draw a portrait of her like this. Really well done, the drawing is excellent.

The shading of her cheeks and forehead are most impressive. The corset's perfectly drawn, and I really dig how you crafted her hair. Overall, the shading's the best feature.. stunning. :tmb:

As for corrections and constructive criticism... I think there are two things that are off. Like you said, the head:body proportion, and I also think the hands and wrists are too small -- or perhaps the arms in general. (and, I can't blame you for leaning towards the "vague" background -- I hate drawing backgrounds, too.. dreadful things, they are.)

danitiwa
25-09-07, 04:46
Love her cheeky face... :D

Very nice drawing. :tmb:

Melonie Tomb Raider
25-09-07, 05:03
Awww, that is so sweet, I'm sure your girlfriend will adore it! Judging by the drawing, she's very beautiful.

The only thing I can recommend is adding more strands to the hair. It's a little too sparse. Other than that, you've done a great job. :tmb:

Alex Fly
25-09-07, 09:55
Outstanding !!! Perfect, no need to change something else ! :eek: :tmb:

knutroald
25-09-07, 11:05
Nice shading!;)

bloodstormaoa
25-09-07, 12:04
Thanks everyone. I'm really happy that you guys have responded well to this, with both praise and critique :hug:

@ Gt-man - Devon Aoki = Ewwwwww :p

I think it is great the way it is but (maybe its just me) but the smile looks a little on the smug side or mean side, I dont mean to be mean I just think it needs to be a tad softer unless thats what you wanted then its perfect.

Thanks Tihocan. The reference photo I used is one of my favourite because of that smile. Perhaps it does look a little smug/mean, probably because I made her smile and she hates that but I love it :D

As for corrections and constructive criticism... I think there are two things that are off. Like you said, the head:body proportion, and I also think the hands and wrists are too small -- or perhaps the arms in general. (and, I can't blame you for leaning towards the "vague" background -- I hate drawing backgrounds, too.. dreadful things, they are.)

Thanks for all the compliments Vessy. I'm not sure how much of the head:body proportion I can change now without starting over :(
She has really slender arms, wrists and hands but maybe I went too far....

Noted;)

Awww, that is so sweet, I'm sure your girlfriend will adore it! Judging by the drawing, she's very beautiful.

The only thing I can recommend is adding more strands to the hair. It's a little too sparse. Other than that, you've done a great job. :tmb:

Thank you :D
More hair strands....noted

tomblover
25-09-07, 12:22
It may just be the shading, but her legs look hairy. :vlol: :confused:

Extremely good work, anyhow! :tmb:

Nemo_91
25-09-07, 12:24
Beautiful! :eek: :tmb:

bloodstormaoa
25-09-07, 13:01
It may just be the shading, but her legs look hairy. :vlol: :confused:

Extremely good work, anyhow! :tmb:

Legs? :confused:

Beautiful! :eek: :tmb:

:hug:

Nannonxyay
25-09-07, 13:08
Goregous :D

Marija_Croft
25-09-07, 13:22
Very romantic my Ev-bud ! :tmb:

nicola1986
25-09-07, 13:54
Wow that is beautiful :D

if my bf did that he'd a a big :gki: lol

rejectedpunk9
25-09-07, 15:34
omg! thats gorgeous!:D well drawn:tmb:

ashnar
25-09-07, 16:27
awww,that is so sweet of you:o. well,it looks great.and about the background,I learned that it's better to draw it vague when it's not the main focus,so that the detail of whatever is in front is visible.otherwise it just gets crowded and messed up, not to mention unbalanced. I don't know if I have the right to say this, but you can try to give the hair a bit of a shinny aspect.But it's awesome as it is.Wonderful work:tmb::hug:I'm sure she'll love it.

larson n natla
25-09-07, 17:14
;)Great work as always

touchmyheart
25-09-07, 19:07
Wow, simply incredible bloodstorm :tmb: I think she'd be crazy not to like it :D :pi: I think the rose thorns are my favorite feature :)

RAID
25-09-07, 20:32
Great drawing

bloodstormaoa
25-09-07, 22:24
Thanks everyone :hug:

I edited a few things before I gave it to her....She loved it :yah: I'm so pleased.:D

She showed it to her mother.....who said it was beautiful but a tad too suggestive :vlol:

ajrich17901
25-09-07, 23:27
THATS AN AMAZING DRAWING:jmp:

Autolycus
27-09-07, 07:04
Looks awesome :tmb:

kooky
28-09-07, 00:41
Aww, that is really Nice, Cool Drawing. :hug:

Rynn
28-09-07, 07:46
That's such a beautiful drawing and gesture Blood! :)