PDA

View Full Version : Round-World Bike Stolen From Home

Mad Tony
26-09-07, 16:17
An intrepid cyclist has spoken of his disbelief after travelling across the world with his mountain bike - only for it to be stolen in Barnsley.

Lee Simmons, 39, travelled across Hong Kong, Indonesia and Malaysia, but on his return the much-loved bicycle was taken from his father's garage.
"Nobody thought to steal it in the poorest villages of Asia," he said. "Then I come back home and it's gone.

"It would be nice to get it back, it does have immense sentimental value."
Mr Simmons' journey also took him through Thailand and India.
He rode his Cannondale M800 through the deserts of Rajasthan and the poorest areas of Calcutta.

'Priceless to me'

But it was only after he had returned from his expedition, covering tens of thousands of miles, that he encountered a problem.
The bike was stored with two others in his father's garage in Dodworth Road, Barnsley, but when Mr Simmons went to look last week, he discovered all three had gone.

"At first I thought it was a practical joke, but then I realised they had been taken," he said.
"Obviously people pinch bikes every day, but it wasn't just a bike to me - I have so many experiences associated with it."
Mr Simmons, who now runs a cafe in Barnsley, said it would only be worth a few pounds to the robber but was "priceless" to him.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7014091.stm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is absolutely disgusting. What angers me more is this line "Nobody thought to steal it in the poorest villages of Asia," he said. "Then I come back home and it's gone."

Laurencarter
26-09-07, 16:21
[B]
I think this is absolutely disgusting. What angers me more is this line "Nobody thought to steal it in the poorest villages of Asia," he said. "Then I come back home and it's gone."

That's sad but he's implying that poor people steal more than rich people and that is not always true.

Mad Tony
26-09-07, 16:22
That's sad but he's implying that poor people steal more than rich people and that is not always true.No he's not. He's just implying that some of the areas he visited are rougher as it were than England.

Elysia
26-09-07, 16:27
Oh, how proud am I to be living in this godsforsaken country right now?

I would lay a tenner down right now and bet it was bored kids that stole it, too. A bike that's been around the world will more than likely look pretty beat up - it would have been stolen through boredom rather than for any financial gain.

Mad Tony
26-09-07, 16:28
I would lay a tenner down right now and bet it was bored kids that stole it, too.My thoughts exactly.

Elysia
26-09-07, 16:34
My thoughts exactly.
Sad as it is to say, it seems to be the case that a lot of petty crime is commited by bored kids... you know, it would never, ever have crossed my mind to nick anything when I was younger. Now, if it isn't nailed down, it walks... (I had a kid nick my PDA (we use them to register classes) the other day - from right under my nose, no less. I got it out to do the class register, put it on my desk to hand back one of the kid's books, went to pick it up again and it was gone. I could not believe it... Luckily, every single other kid in the classroom was so utterly disgusted that she did it that she has now been ostracised from the class (as well as being suspended). I mean - why do something like that? It's not like I'm not going to notice and you're going to get away with it, is it? :rolleyes:)

Mad Tony
26-09-07, 16:36
Sad as it is to say, it seems to be the case that a lot of petty crime is commited by bored kids... you know, it would never, ever have crossed my mind to nick anything when I was younger. Now, if it isn't nailed down, it walks... (I had a kid nick my PDA (we use them to register classes) the other day - from right under my nose, no less. I got it out to do the class register, put it on my desk to hand back one of the kid's books, went to pick it up again and it was gone. I could not believe it... Luckily, every single other kid in the classroom was so utterly disgusted that she did it that she has now been ostracised from the class (as well as being suspended). I mean - why do something like that? It's not like I'm not going to notice and you're going to get away with it, is it? :rolleyes:)Exactly. I really don't wanna sound like an old man here (since I am technically part of this generation), but kids today don't have any respect and are the cause of quite a high amount of minor crimes in this country, as well as the cause of some major crimes.

I absolutely hate stealing.

Elysia
26-09-07, 16:38
Exactly. I really don't wanna sound like an old man here (since I am technically part of this generation), but kids today don't have any respect and are the cause of quite a high amount of minor crimes in this country, as well as the cause of some major crimes.

I absolutely hate stealing.
;) You're not alone, Tony - the majority of my pupils think that this behaviour is abhorrent, too - it's just unfortunate that the minority is well and truly destroying it for the majority.

I hate stealing, too. Never stolen so much as a penny sweet in my life.

Draco
26-09-07, 18:38
Too bad you dont get your hand cut off for stealing.