PDA

View Full Version : Tortillons vs Blending Stumps

Naz2000
27-09-07, 15:11
Hello guys, I just wanted to know which of the two art tools in the title you prefer or think are the most effective to use for smudging your sketches. I have been using my finger for smudging for ages and I only found out about these about a month ago and am planning on purhcasing some. I think WHSmith sell the blending stumps but I am not so sure about the tortillons so could someone please tell me some stores that sell them please:tmb:Thanks

NightWish
27-09-07, 15:16
Well if you are talking about manual drawing (not digital) Then I know th best way to make the flow of the colours swift is not by smudging with your finger. yes its faster but oten there can appear spots that cant be arased and just make the drawing ugly. Thats why it is the best to have patience and just draw softer or harder till you get to colour changing right. (I hope you understand what I mean)

Naz2000
27-09-07, 15:19
Lol, sorry yes I am talking about manual drawing:)

NightWish
27-09-07, 15:20
OK so do you understand what I mean? does it help?

Naz2000
27-09-07, 15:24
OK so do you understand what I mean? does it help?

So are you saying I shouldn't get any tortillons and blending stumps and just draw softer or harder?

NightWish
27-09-07, 15:25
I have no ideawhat those two things are :eek: Can u show/explain? I might want such a thing! ...though I dont know what it does... :pi:

Naz2000
27-09-07, 15:36
I have no ideawhat those two things are :eek: Can u show/explain? I might want such a thing! ...though I dont know what it does... :pi:

Lmao:D Ummmm well a tortillon is like a piece of paper tightly wound to make a pencil like shape and blending stumps are sort of different I always forget but you can find both of them here or type them in to google images to view them;) They make tonal work look much more smoother when blended and I have also heard on websites that they are a little different so I just wanted to know if one was better than the other:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortillon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stump_%28drawing%29

NightWish
27-09-07, 15:55
ohhh you weer talking about pastels the whole timeeee.....

Naz2000
27-09-07, 16:23
ohhh you weer talking about pastels the whole timeeee.....

You can use them for graphite pencil as well:) Ah well I suppose it doesn't really matter which one I choose, doesn't seem like many people even know what they are lol:D

findme
27-09-07, 16:45
There really is no big difference to be honest. I find blending stumps easier to use because they're thicker. Tortillions are thin and the tip tend to bend very quickly and Id have t sand them down again.