PDA

View Full Version : Do you think lara's clawing her way into popular culture again?

trXD
27-09-07, 20:30
We all know that lara's prime has come and gone but it seems to me that she is becoming even more recognisable since anniversary.

There is an article here (http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/tombraider10thanniversaryedition/news.html?sid=6176584) that says the gaming industry "needs more laras" which means lara is definetley one of the most recognisable video game charecters!

Anyone agree that she is getting into popular culture again?

Rivendell
27-09-07, 20:42
She's never left.
Since '96 she's been the First Lady of Gaming, and as far as I'm concerned at least has always maintained her crown. ;)

trXD
27-09-07, 20:43
She's never left.
Since '96 she's been the First Lady of Gaming, and as far as I'm concerned at least has always maintained her crown. ;)

She used to be far more recognisable! She used to be an A-list celebrity although i will admit she has kept her crown in the gaming world

findme
27-09-07, 20:44
I agree, she never left.

Eddie Haskell
27-09-07, 20:50
CD is doing their best to make her popular, only in the wrong way. Kind of like McDonalds coming out with all kinds of different pathetic sandwiches and stuff, and getting away from what made them a brand. I still remember the first McDonalds here in the Chicago area from when I was a little boy. They had hamburgers and cheeseburgers, no McBangers&McMash or McTuna or anything else meant to draw in a bigger crowd.

trXD
27-09-07, 20:51
CD is doing their best to make her popular, only in the wrong way. Kind of like McDonalds coming out with all kinds of different pathetic sandwiches and stuff, and getting away from what made them a brand. I still remember the first McDonalds here in the Chicago area from when I was a little boy. They had hamburgers and cheeseburgers, no McBangers&McMash or McTuna or anything else meant to draw in a bigger crowd.

Well lucky for them its working

Survival
27-09-07, 20:52
Problem is with general public. Since ī96 Lara has become cheesy and corny to most of general public. They know her as "that big breasted chick who was played by AJo in those horrible movies" and new gamers mostly as "that monster breasts chick from those horrible games" (lol who could blame them after anniversary and legend? j/k ;-)).

Lara isnīt mark of quality and entertainment anymore, sheīs mark of riddiculousness (sp?), profanity and immaturity.

trXD
27-09-07, 20:56
Problem is with general public. Since ī96 Lara has become cheesy and corny to most of general public. They know her as "that big breasted chick who was played by AJo in those horrible movies" and new gamers mostly as "that monster breasts chick from those horrible games" (lol who could blame them after anniversary and legend? j/k ;-)).

Lara isnīt mark of quality anymore and entertainment, sheīs mark of riddiculousness (sp?), profanity and immaturity.

There are a few people that think that. But those are the ones that have heard about her and seen some pictures of her and go completely judgemental.

Tomb raider is generally considered a very intellegent set of games and even more so in anniversary and legend. You can say that you dislike them but its pretty hard to acuse them of immaturity and being un-intelligent

Eddie Haskell
27-09-07, 20:57
Well lucky for them its working

Paris Hilton is popular, but I wouldn't want to meet her. "It's working" as you say, is not necessarily a good thing.

trXD
27-09-07, 20:59
Paris Hilton is popular, but I wouldn't want to meet her. "It's working" as you say, is not necessarily a good thing.

Lara is generally a likeable charecter so it is good that its working. Alhough some people that refuse to let go of lara's old games dont like the current lara

Survival
27-09-07, 21:05
Tomb raider is generally considered a very intellegent set of games and even more so in anniversary and legend. You can say that you dislike them but its pretty hard to acuse them of immaturity and being un-intelligent

You got it wrong... well maybe Iīve wrote it wrong...

General public counts Tomb Raider games as dumb shooters with over the top main heroine. Thatīs a fact and a sad one too.

I do dislike Legend and Anniversary but Iīm not saying those games are the ones that are responsible for that general opinion on Tomb Raider franchise.

But itīs not just with TR... most of the general public still think of videogames as of entertainment for kids (ie dumb and immature) Lara just became symbol of that thanks to her popularity among gamers.

trXD
27-09-07, 21:07
You got it wrong... well maybe Iīve wrote it wrong...

General public counts Tomb Raider games as dumb shooters with over the top main heroine. Thatīs a fact and a sad one too.

I do dislike Legend and Anniversary but Iīm not saying those games are the ones that are responsible for that general opinion on Tomb Raider franchise.

Bu itīs not just with TR... most of the general public still think of videogames as of entertainment for kids (ie dumb and immature) Lara just became symbol of that thanks to her popularity among gamers.

I completley disagree! The tomb raider games have been praised in reviews for being intelligent and treating the gamers as intelligent people! Thats what makes it so likeable. Read the reviews for anniversary if you dont belive me

Survival
27-09-07, 21:11
I completley disagree! The tomb raider games have been praised in reviews for being intelligent and treating the gamers as intelligent people! Thats what makes it so likeable. Read the reviews for anniversary if you dont belive me

Iīm talking about GENERAL PUBLIC! That means non-gamers and that means people who will never read any reviews! Pop culture is something that became very well know mainly in GENERAL PUBLIC among people who never played Tomb Raider but know it even though they were never interested in videogames. Tomb Raider is still part of pop culture but itīs reputation is really bad.

trXD
27-09-07, 21:13
Iīm talking about GENERAL PUBLIC! That means non-gamers and that means people who will never read any reviews! Pop culture is something that became very well know mainly in GENERAL PUBLIC among people who never played Tomb Raider but know it even though they were never interested in videogames. Tomb Raider is still part of pop culture but itīs reputation is really bad.

again i disagree and i made a thread about it to get the point across

Leo Caprico
27-09-07, 21:14
She's always popular. In magazines if people saw Angie, they immediately said Tomb Raider. If they saw the big breast girl with two guns, they say it's Lara Croft. People know her, surprisingly everywhere. They really did the right decision to pick Angie as Lara because now she is like one of the hottest woman in the world so people won't forget her and tomb raider anytime soon.

And what bothers me a bit is that the movies aren't really that good. Okay the first one rules but the second one is corny. If they can come out with a third movie, a really good movie, then tr will be a culture phenomenon again:)

I think the game is going well. I don't like Legend, much preffered Anniversary but as long they both has fans clinging on them, tr will keep on being popular.

Twilight
28-09-07, 02:23
she was always in pop culture but shes not That popular now.
in other words...

no

Little-Lara
28-09-07, 03:20
Anyone agree that she is getting into popular culture again?

Aww, sweety. She never left it..

I had Anthropology teacher who mentioned her in class. If I remember correctly, "real Anthropologists go researching, unlike that Lara Croft!"

I mean, that's when u know she's famous, when an old lady teacher mentions her in a college. :jmp::jmp::jmp: And this was 5 years ago.

danitiwa
28-09-07, 04:46
She's never left.
I agree, she's always been up there. half the entire world, if not the whole gaming world... Knows who she is. :)
She used to be far more recognisable! She used to be an A-list celebrity although i will admit she has kept her crown in the gaming world

I think you expect too much. What's she supposed to do? She's already got a billion unlockable outfits. :p