PDA

View Full Version : Is tomb raider classed as a "dumb shooter game"

trXD
27-09-07, 21:10
I dont think so but someone told me that tomb raider is generally accepted by society as a dumb shooter game! Is this true?

I think tomb raider is a very intelligent mature game

TombRaiderLover
27-09-07, 21:12
I think they were very intelligent, mature games. :) (with the exception of Legend and TRA.)

Mr.Burns
27-09-07, 21:12
I have heard similar comments in the past but to those of us who actually play the game, no I would disagree. More to the point, without stirring up the old debate, I think it was more the case with the classics than the more current ones. This is just my personal opinion.

Survival
27-09-07, 21:15
I dont think so but someone told me that tomb raider is generally accepted by society as a dumb shooter game! Is this true?

I think tomb raider is a very intelligent mature game

Like I said in the previous thread, general public (ie people who never played the games, never read any reviews and were never interested in videogames in general) think of TR that way.

Dakaruch
27-09-07, 21:16
without wanting to start a fight, i think that the new TR's are a shooting game! the classics didn't but still TR is far from a shooter game! shooter game is CS or UT or others like that!

Survival
27-09-07, 21:18
Iīm talking about GENERAL PUBLIC! That means non-gamers and that means people who will never read any reviews! Pop culture is something that became very well know mainly in GENERAL PUBLIC among people who never played Tomb Raider but know it even though they were never interested in videogames. Tomb Raider is still part of pop culture but itīs reputation is really bad.

*sigh* OK continuing from other thread!

I really believe you donīt understand what I mean. You canīt ask people on TOMB RAIDER FORUMS that question! Go out! Find a group of people who never played any videogame and are not interested in them and ask them about Tomb Raider! Youīll then see what GENERAL PUBLIC thinks of the franchise and Lara.

Betal
27-09-07, 21:20
I think that the new TR's are a shooting game!

Ditto.

trXD
27-09-07, 21:20

I really believe you donīt understand what I mean. You canīt ask people on TOMB RAIDER FORUMS that question! Go out! Find a group of people who never played any videogame and are not interested in them and ask them about Tomb Raider! Youīll then see what GENERAL PUBLIC thinks of the franchise and Lara.

Most of my freinds are general public and they think tomb raider is pretty cool even though they have only ever played a tra demo

Survival
27-09-07, 21:27
In addition...
Marketing of the series...
Lara has been treated like cheap w.hore and eye candy on public. Her official model (Nele McAndrew I believe) was photographed naked and posing as Lara. Commercials are pure action fest without any sense. Posters donīt say anything about the games just show big breasted chick with huge guns showing her butt to the world. There are two horrible movies with non sense story and cheap shotīs and promotional photos of Angelina Jolieīs body.

This is what general public now sees of TR franchise. They see cheap bimbo chooting and wearing riddiculous clothes. Those poeple will never read any review or play the game.

Most of my freinds are general public and they think tomb raider is pretty cool even though they have only ever played a tra demo

Well not to be rude but I canīt imagine your friends not to be into any videogames. You canīt possibly count an opinion of bunch of kids as the opinion of general public (ie millions of people of all age). Thatīs the point. They PLAYED the TRA demo and that means they play games or have at least little interest in them. Thatīs another point.

interstellardave
27-09-07, 21:31
Some people love to make huge generalizations about things they don't know about--or don't like. People do it on this forum too... "Halo 3 is just another lame FPS", "the Wii is a kiddy system", etc.

Rivendell
27-09-07, 21:32
"Stupidly hard" I've heard before, can't say I've heard "dumb shooter game" though!

trXD
27-09-07, 21:33
Well not to be rude but I canīt imagine your friends not to be into any videogames.

What a irrelavent guess

Survival
Some people love to make huge generalizations about things they don't know about--or don't like. People do it on this forum too... "Halo 3 is just another lame FPS", "the Wii is a kiddy system", etc.

Exactly :)

What a irrelavent guess

Sorry but the sentence was supposed to continue in the next one. You told me they think Laraīs cool but theyīve at least played a demo of TRA.

trXD
"Stupidly hard" I've heard before, can't say I've heard "dumb shooter game" though!

Thats why i was shocked to hear someone say that

trXD
27-09-07, 21:34

Yeah but i dont think many people do that with tomb raider at all

Survival
27-09-07, 21:37
Yeah but i dont think many people do that with tomb raider at all

Well itīs time to go further than your friends and find out donīt you think?

trXD
27-09-07, 21:43
Well itīs time to go further than your friends and find out donīt you think?

As hard as it id to belive, i speak to people besides my freinds

findme
27-09-07, 21:43

Exactly. Asking a question like this on a Tomb Raider forum will only get you biased answers.

nicola1986
27-09-07, 21:44
No way! A dumb shooter is a shoot 'em up with a really crap or non-existent plot isn't it? TR's have got great plots! Plus she does loads of other stuff besides shooting like walking and running and jumping...oh and climbing :D

trXD
27-09-07, 21:45
No way! A dumb shooter is a shoot 'em up with a really crap or non-existent plot isn't it? TR's have got great plots! Plus she does loads of other stuff besides shooting like walking and running and jumping...oh and climbing :D

exactly! When people that havent played tomb raider see that on screens they dont think "dumb shooter"

Dakaruch
27-09-07, 21:46

and solving hard puzles :whi:

nicola1986
27-09-07, 21:48
Oh yeah and when you run into a wall she goes "Ooh!" :D

findme
27-09-07, 21:48
exactly! When people that havent played tomb raider see that on screens they dont think "dumb shooter"

Do you have any backup for saying this?

I'm not agreeing that it is a dumb shooter though. It's not even a proper shooter game. But there are people out there who will think of it as a shooter.

I miss that. In the new ones Lara doesnt even stop when she runs into a wall, she just keeps running into it on the spot!

trXD
27-09-07, 22:01
Do you have any backup for saying this?

I didnt think i needed any. I dont think anyone would look at a video game charecter climbing and assume its a dumb shooter

nicola1986
27-09-07, 22:04
I miss that. In the new ones Lara doesnt even stop when she runs into a wall, she just keeps running into it on the spot!

Me too! Start sarcasm. 'Cos it's so much more realistic for her to try and run through a wall. End sarcasm :D

Plus on old TR's she only carried on running when it's door you can open, so you knew what you were supposed to open ;)

kooky
27-09-07, 23:19
OMG, I don't think TR is not a dumb shooter game, I think it is a perfect Adventure Series for Preteens & Teenagers. Other Shooting games similar to this like Resident Evil, Splinter cell E.T.C are Mature. ;)

Survival
28-09-07, 08:35
As hard as it id to belive, i speak to people besides my freinds

Well I meant for example a different state or country or city... thereīs plenty of people out there and just because you had the luck to find open minded people doesnīt mean Tomb Raider is loved or praised by general public. It isnīt. (Not to mention gamers who havenīt played the game and are judging just by pictures or videos).

I didnt think i needed any. I dont think anyone would look at a video game charecter climbing and assume its a dumb shooter

Weīre talking about people who see comercials, posters and movies but never played or read about any of the games. And how exactly can seeing Lara climbing not invoke "this is a dumb game" feeling? I know that if I saw this over the top big breasted character with her makeup on (!) and wearing tight clothes climbing the mountaing and jumping like no one can I would feel exactly like that.

I think it is a perfect Adventure Series for Preteens & Teenagers.

The problem is the series didnīt start that way. The Legend and Anniversary changed everything.

Tomb Raider Master
28-09-07, 13:24
You can't judge if you haven't tried it. So, screw those kind of comments.

Sara Croft
28-09-07, 13:27
They are not dumb shooter games, but they are not very mature anymore. :(

danitiwa
28-09-07, 13:33
Don't listen to DUMB ASS PEOPLE. :wve:

Tons of people *coughguyscoughcough* in my class said Tomb Raider is gay. WTF do they know? :rolleyes: Have they even tried it?

Or maybe they played Legend one too many times?

Bustus
28-09-07, 14:16
Almost every non-TR-player I've shared a word about TR with has called it a "shooting game". :rolleyes:

Anajrob
28-09-07, 14:19

That is so sweet. But I think that's only in TR1. :confused:

Don't listen to DUMB ASS PEOPLE. :wve:

Tons of people *coughguyscoughcough* in my class said Tomb Raider is gay. WTF do they know? :rolleyes: Have they even tried it?

Or maybe they played Legend one too many times?

:vlol:

SoulReaver74
28-09-07, 14:46
At the end of the day it's just someones opinion of TR, and the real fans know what TR is all about and the strength of character lara portrays and i for one couldn't careless what other people think because the TR franchise can't appeal to everyone, and some people who are negative towards the series and games in general may brand it as a "dumb shooter", because they have no intrest or desire to play it in the first place.

Survival
28-09-07, 18:20
Thatīs right in the end itīs just peoples opinion. The whole thing started with me stating that TR franchise is still part of the popular culture (general public not gamers) but not in the good way anymore... . If you donīt like that count it as my personal opinion then.

That was it... there was no need to create a new thread about the subject not to mention the fact youīre asking this question on forums dedicated to Tomb Raider games.

In the end the fact is some gamers and most of the general public donīt really like the franchise and think of it mostly in a really bad way.

Iīm done :)

Peace

Beanz
28-09-07, 18:21
Thats their opinion, who cares what anyone else thinks?

Earthcane
28-09-07, 18:37
"DUMB SHOOTER GAME?" I'm outraged!!!!!!
If the writers of that article actually played some of the insanely-difficult puzzles in LR, or even TR3, then they'd change their tune!

Yup, ye have to shoot stuffs in Tomb Raider, but nope, theres much much more to it than that.

Eddie Haskell
28-09-07, 18:43
At the end of the day it's just someones opinion of TR, and the real fans know what TR is all about and the strength of character lara portrays and i for one couldn't careless what other people think because the TR franchise can't appeal to everyone, and some people who are negative towards the series and games in general may brand it as a "dumb shooter", because they have no intrest or desire to play it in the first place.

The only ironic part is that with Legend it actually was heading in that direction.

Survival
28-09-07, 19:04
"DUMB SHOOTER GAME?" I'm outraged!!!!!!
If the writers of that article actually played some of the insanely-difficult puzzles in LR, or even TR3, then they'd change their tune!

Yup, ye have to shoot stuffs in Tomb Raider, but nope, theres much much more to it than that.

Actually thereīs no article. Some people just think of TR as dumb shooter game.

trXD
28-09-07, 19:14
Again i strongly disagree that tomb raider is classed as a dumb shooter game to some people. Hardly any shooting is in it at all (yes including legend) and its mostly just puzzles, figuring out what route to take and climbing! People dont just see a gun in her hand and think she is a dumb shooter. Lara is presented very intelligently on most screens and renders that people who havent played the game see. Just look at the cover of tomb raider legend and anniversary and then compare it to most shooter game covers!

Eddie Haskell
28-09-07, 19:45
Again i strongly disagree that tomb raider is classed as a dumb shooter game to some people. Hardly any shooting is in it at all (yes including legend) and its mostly just puzzles, figuring out what route to take and climbing! People dont just see a gun in her hand and think she is a dumb shooter. Lara is presented very intelligently on most screens and renders that people who havent played the game see. Just look at the cover of tomb raider legend and anniversary and then compare it to most shooter game covers!

Are you speaking for literally everyone now? Most people don't know Lara, and most of the ones that do probably never played the game.

trXD
28-09-07, 19:55
Are you speaking for literally everyone now? Most people don't know Lara, and most of the ones that do probably never played the game.

Ok sorry i think it was quite obviouse that i meant most people that see the game on a screen or something for the first time

I didnt think i needed to explain that i wasnt talking about everyone in the world

Angel_14
28-09-07, 19:56
Good for those people. If they think that TR is a dumb shooter game, then let them think that. It's not like some of us don't judge something without actually playing with it...

danitiwa
28-09-07, 21:00
Ok, sorry i think it was quite obvious that I meant most people that see the game on a screen or something for the first time.

I didn't think I needed to explain that, I wasn't talking about everyone in the world.
[TEACHER MODE]
Will you please learn to punctuate? :pi: >.>

<.<

Sorry... Shutting up now.
[/TEACHER MODE]

Eddie Haskell
28-09-07, 21:15
[TEACHER MODE]
Will you please learn to punctuate? :pi: >.>

<.<

Sorry... Shutting up now.
[/TEACHER MODE]

Heheh, it is also a pet peeve of mine, but I've learned that some in here are either unable or unwilling to learn proper grammar, punctuation or spelling. But if I can understand it it's okay I guess. The "English as a second language" speakers are exempt of course. However, "text speak" should be banned.

trXD
28-09-07, 21:24
Heheh, it is also a pet peeve of mine, but I've learned that some in here are either unable or unwilling to learn proper grammar, punctuation or spelling. But if I can understand it it's okay I guess. The "English as a second language" speakers are exempt of course. However, "text speak" should be banned.

I dont really pay attention to my grammer unless im in school. Most of the time i miss-type something and i just dont correct it because i dont think anyone cares

Sometimes i say "u" for "you" but nobody accuses me of bad grammer

danitiwa
28-09-07, 21:27
I dont really pay attention to my grammer unless im in school. Most of the time i miss-type something and i just dont correct it because i dont think anyone cares

Sometimes i say "u" for "you" but nobody accuses me of bad grammer

First of all, it's GRAMMAR. And it annoys people who do put effort and time to make it better. :p If you're a beginner I can understand, but going and correcting is one of the only ways to improve. ;)

I didn't mean grammar though, I meant English Writing in General.

Mr.Burns
28-09-07, 21:30
Dani, be nice. :p we al mak mistaks in our gramer, :)

This isn't a jab at anyone, just a joke. :)

danitiwa
28-09-07, 21:32
Dani, be nice. :p we al mak mistaks in our gramer. :)

Ok let's get back on topic: It gives the impression to people that aren't have played it before. :D

Tihocan9
28-09-07, 21:32
Most people who class it as that probobly don't know much about it excep they know that it is played by a big breasted women with guns so they say before getting the truth, TR is a very mature (in some ways not gore, killing way) Look at TR3 and 4 they are probobly the most intellagent TR games (maybe TRAOD too) and shooting is the main thing to do, puzzles are which TR is mainly about exploration and puzzles, but sadly I would class TRL under a shooting games alittle.

Legend of Lara
28-09-07, 21:36
TR may have a lot of weapons, but it's still mostly puzzles and exploration. Well, except for Legend... :whi:

trXD
28-09-07, 21:39
Im sorry guys but i think legend was the most intelligent and mature one in the whole series. Just because there was a lot of enemy's dosent mean it was action based!

Legend of Lara
28-09-07, 21:43
Im sorry guys but i think legend was the most intelligent and mature one in the whole series. Just because there was a lot of enemy's dosent mean it was action based!

Intelligent? Mature? o_O

TRL is INTELLIGENT? It's really linear with puzzles a 6 year old can solve!

MATURE? Puh-leeze! :p AOD was mature. TR1 was mature. Tomb Raider "Mommy" Legend is NOT mature. It's sappy and kiddy! :ton:

danitiwa
28-09-07, 21:48

Intelligent? Mature? o_O

TRL is INTELLIGENT? It's really linear with puzzles a 6 year old can solve!

MATURE? Puh-leeze! :p AOD was mature. TR1 was mature. Tomb Raider "Mommy" Legend is NOT mature. It's sappy and kiddy! :ton:

Ditto! :confused: Have you even tried the classics? O.o

Legend is what labels TR as a shooter game, all you see is mercenaries, some recolored Jaguars and a few dogs... I only got stuck on one puzzle in the entire game. In the classics I got stuck on EVERY puzzle.

Legend is a game for kids... (Minus the breasts and butt.)

voltz
28-09-07, 21:55
(Minus the breasts and butt.)

Got me confused there, I always thought they were still her prominent features.

danitiwa
28-09-07, 21:57
Got me confused there, I always thought they were still her prominent features.

I meant that it's basically a kids game except for those two features.

Yunaīs Wish
28-09-07, 21:58
If the shooting is considered dumb itīs possible. TR has had dumb shooting until Anniversary (which had, Iīd dare say, a nice interactive shooting system)...but no, if the game is considered dumb as a whole: THEYīRE IGNORANTS! :D

danitiwa
28-09-07, 22:00
If the shooting is considered dumb itīs possible. TR has had dumb shooting until Anniversary (which had, Iīd dare say, a nice interactive shooting system)...but no, if the game is considered dumb as a whole: THEYīRE IGNORANTS! :D

No, they're ignoraantt...
http://www.planearium2.de/bilder/charaktere-michaeljackson.jpg
*needs to stop quoting tv lines* :pi:

I think I should go to bed, my brain isn't functining correctly.

Twilight
28-09-07, 22:01
No, they're ignoraantt...
http://www.planearium2.de/bilder/charaktere-michaeljackson.jpg
*needs to stop quoting tv lines* :pi:

I think I should go to bed, my brain isn't functining correctly.

"theyre being ignorant! *nose falls off*" i lov that ep.

Angel_14
28-09-07, 22:15

Let's see...
Bolivia - 23 kills, three of them are crappy animated Jaguar clones
Peru - More than 35 kills, all of them are mercenaries
Japan - 30 kills, two of them are dogs
etc...

If we take averagely 30 kills/level, then the game has around 210 enemies. It's indeed not action-oriented. All I (I speak don't speak instead of others) did was going to a room, shoot mercenaries, solve an easy 'puzzle', shot more mercenaries and solve an even easier puzzle.

But it's your opinion and I accept that...

Leo Caprico
28-09-07, 22:35
Im sorry guys but i think legend was the most intelligent and mature one in the whole series. Legend is mature?:eek:That's news to me. You must have never played GTA then. Compared both and you'll see legend is a child's play.

trXD
28-09-07, 23:30
Ditto! :confused: Have you even tried the classics? O.o

Legend is what labels TR as a shooter game, all you see is mercenaries, some recolored Jaguars and a few dogs... I only got stuck on one puzzle in the entire game. In the classics I got stuck on EVERY puzzle.

Legend is a game for kids... (Minus the breasts and butt.)

I played all the classics before legend even came out

Mikel Croft
28-09-07, 23:48
Well, my friends who like dumb shooter games come over, and they don't play tomb raider because they never know what to do after they kill everything. :p so I'd say no.

sallyboy44
29-09-07, 00:42
there just tomb raider haters!tomb raider is very hard and needs lots of mental thinking to complete at least one level(except trl plus tra

Encore
29-09-07, 00:54
Well, my friends who like dumb shooter games come over, and they don't play tomb raider because they never know what to do after they kill everything. :p so I'd say no.

I think examples like this is what should be taken into account, not the personal experience of hardcore Tomb Raiders like many in this forums. People who never played any Tomb Raider probably find even Legend hard to play because you can't go through Legend only by shooting enemies. You HAVE to push and pull things and press buttons and climb etc.
Since Legend is the easiest of the series, all the other TRs only emphasize my point, including Anniversary.
That just goes to show that Tomb Raider will always be primarly about puzzles and exploration, not just shooting enemies.