PDA

View Full Version : Legal age to buy cigarettes raised to 18

clairelovestlc
28-09-07, 10:27
Went to tescos shopping last night and noticed a sign up saying from October it will be illegal to buy cigarettes if you are under 18 in the uk and wales.

I'm a non smoker and am all for the shift, but is it me or have they kept this all very quiet?

Didn't know anything about it until i saw the sign at the lottery ticket Que.

I do think its a little harsh jumping from 16-18 in one go as its no doubt going to be hard for 17 year old who smoke and no longer can (legally) buy cigarettes. Especially as it doesnt seem to have been very widely advertised.

Done a bit of googling on the subject and found some info HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6216523.stm)

What are other peoples opinions?

Survival
28-09-07, 10:31
Went to tescos shopping last night and noticed a sign up saying from October it will be illegal to buy cigarettes if you are under 18 in the uk and wales.

I'm a non smoker and am all for the shift, but is it me or have they kept this all very quiet?

Didn't know anything about it until i saw the sign at the lottery ticket Que.

I do think its a little harsh jumping from 16-18 in one go as its no doubt going to be hard for 17 year old who smoke and no longer can (legally) buy cigarettes. Especially as it doesnt seem to have been very widely advertised.

Done a bit of googling on the subject and found some info HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6216523.stm)

What are other peoples opinions?

Well here in Czech Republic the age limit has already been 18 for at least 10 years now :).

Ikas90
28-09-07, 10:33
I do think its a little harsh jumping from 16-18 in one go as its no doubt going to be hard for 17 year old who smoke and no longer can (legally) buy cigarettes. Especially as it doesnt seem to have been very widely advertised?
I think it's a good thing. Having these new rules put in place, 17 year olds won't be able to smoke anymore, which means they'll eventually overcome their addiction.

nicola1986
28-09-07, 10:35
The only reason I knew about it is because my nephew is a smoker and he's 16 so of course there's been moaning about it lol

It doesn't really affect me as I'm 21 and a non-smoker but I bet a lot of parents will be happy that their kids have to wait another two years to smoke legally. I bet my sister will be.

I suppose it's quite fair because at 16 you might be more vulnerable to peer-pressure and smoking is a decision than could affect you your whole life so a bit of maturity is needed.

It doesn't seem fair to me that kids should be able to make a decision like that, that could kill them in later years.

amalitsa
28-09-07, 10:51
about time.....

i don't want to see any underage kids buying ciggies and slowly kill themselves...

2kool4u
28-09-07, 10:56
The only reason I knew about it is because my nephew is a smoker and he's 16 so of course there's been moaning about it lol

It doesn't really affect me as I'm 21 and a non-smoker but I bet a lot of parents will be happy that their kids have to wait another two years to smoke legally. I bet my sister will be.

I suppose it's quite fair because at 16 you might be more vulnerable to peer-pressure and smoking is a decision than could affect you your whole life so a bit of maturity is needed.

It doesn't seem fair to me that kids should be able to make a decision like that, that could kill them in later years.
Wow 16! Im 16 and i will never smoke. That is so dangerous, my dad smokes and he had an anureisim and almost died!

nicola1986
28-09-07, 11:00
Yeah it is young, I started at 16 'cos I was bored and smoked for 3 or 4 years then had to go through quitting which is awful, I don't think kids should have to go through that.

My nephew's grandad has to carry an oxygen tank around to live 'cos of smoking so it's pretty scary!

Kamrusepas
28-09-07, 11:01
Here it's been 18 for quite a while now, which I think is far more suitable than 16. I mean a 16-year-old is basically still a kid, who's still growing and smoking can (and will) affect that negatively.

Lenochka
28-09-07, 11:02
Psh, They don't need to raise the age... They need to ban them all together :whi:

I have no clue why the hell people even mess with cigs, Waste of money and are horrible for your body.

Dakaruch
28-09-07, 11:06
thats very good, but unfortunatelly it will do nothing against seeing little kids smoking! yep, because older guys will continue to buy it for them and they will continue to smoke! still this was a good measure! :tmb:

_Lam
28-09-07, 11:15
Here in Canada it was already like this. But it's so easy to buy some even with this rule. ;)

Joe_16
28-09-07, 11:27
Meh, won't make the slightest bit of difference.

Voni
28-09-07, 11:33
It can only be a good thing, in a perfect world I'd love to see smoking and the sale of cigarettes phased out completley, but we know it wouldn't happen. The Government want the taxes and if it were banned you'd just buy 'em from the same people you buy weed and other drugs from. Shame.

Anajrob
28-09-07, 12:09
In my country it's already like that and I have nothing against it since I'm not a smoker.

tombraider123
28-09-07, 12:14
This has ****ed me of very much, since I am 16 and smoke :hea:

Joe_16
28-09-07, 12:18
Do you look older than 16?

tombraider123
28-09-07, 12:21
Do you look older than 16?

I definatly don't look 18, lol.

VonCroy360
28-09-07, 12:21
It's 18 here, but I don't think that forbidding is the solution.
There are many kids who smoke, and also many shopkeepers who would do anything for profit, which includes selling cigarettes to minors. Imo, they should spent more money educating kids about the harms smoking does to us at this age instead of just forbidding it.

:)

Joe_16
28-09-07, 12:24
I definatly don't look 18, lol.

Not sure how strictly stores will enforce it though. They are suppose to ID you for alcohol if you look under 21 (and even higher in some places) but they never do. I see no end of people who look about 16 buying alcohol.

Kerrigan
28-09-07, 12:33
It has alway been 18 in here as far as I know, but young people do smoke.A lot.Kids usually start smoking at about 13 or when they enter highschool, so this prohibition is useless, since it's really easy to find where to buy cigarettes here.I don't smoke, but some of my friends do and I'm quite used to it, I know it's unhealthy and all, but I don't see it as a big deal anymore.

Anajrob
28-09-07, 12:37
It has alway been 18 in here as far as I know, but young people do smoke.A lot.Kids usually start smoking at about 13 or when they enter highschool, so this prohibition is useless, since it's really easy to find where to buy cigarettes here.I don't smoke, but some of my friends do and I'm quite used to it, I know it's unhealthy and all, but I don't see it as a big deal anymore.

Same here.

KurtisLonely
28-09-07, 12:38
the age limit is 16 here :o

disneyprincess20
28-09-07, 13:30
To me, this is only a good thing. Other harmful substances are illegal to under 18's so I don't see why cigarettes are any different. The thing is, I don't think this will cause a great deal of controversy - how many people will stand up and say "16/17 year olds have the right to smoke too"? Very few I imagine. I bet there will be some coverage nearer the time though.

Thorir
28-09-07, 14:10
18 is fine. :)

Kids shouldnīt smoke. When youīre an adult, itīs fine. :)

Sara Croft
28-09-07, 14:16
It dosent help anything. Everyone who smokes knows someone who can buy it for them.

mizuno_suisei
28-09-07, 14:24
Lawl. Its been 18 in Australia for years. It was 16 once, but not in my lifetime. Yeh, I used to get a random on the street to buy them for me, but my mum or gran get them for me. Oh well..

findme
28-09-07, 14:32
Not sure how strictly stores will enforce it though. They are suppose to ID you for alcohol if you look under 21 (and even higher in some places) but they never do. I see no end of people who look about 16 buying alcohol.

DAMN Where do you live?

MiCkiZ88
28-09-07, 14:39
It dosent help anything. Everyone who smokes knows someone who can buy it for them.Most of the time they don't even ask you to show your ID when buying smokes.. well. Atleast from my mates. Sure.. they always ask me >_<

It's been 18 for ages here in Finland. :wve:
Same with alcohol, 18. 21 for stronger ones.

Legends
28-09-07, 14:44
That's the way it should be.

Thorir
28-09-07, 14:45
I donīt think Iīve ever been asked for an ID when buying cigarettes, but I still (at 23) get asked for ID when I buy wine, which you have to be 18 to buy!

I see tobacco as far more damaging than alcohol!

TRDMC
28-09-07, 15:07
I agree with the people in Finland, 18 for smokes, 18 for weak wine and 21 for stronger ones because my friends(not me) get drunk and i just think where did the alcohol come from? so people should be stricter. Maybe we should make a load of people put they're names down for this, then we could raise it lol.

kryptonite23
28-09-07, 15:26
Here in Philippines,at any age you can smoke. :(

clairelovestlc
28-09-07, 15:26
I donīt think Iīve ever been asked for an ID when buying cigarettes, but I still (at 23) get asked for ID when I buy wine, which you have to be 18 to buy!

I see tobacco as far more damaging than alcohol!

I know how you feel, im 21 and get asked id when i buy wine... then again i get asked for id buying a lottery ticket too!

nicola1986
28-09-07, 15:46
I know how you feel, im 21 and get asked id when i buy wine... then again i get asked for id buying a lottery ticket too!

I know the feeling, I get asked all the time, it's so insulting, my 16 year old nephew can get through when I can't lol :D

danitiwa
28-09-07, 15:51
Death sticks those are, I've tried to make my uncle stop; but he just won't listen.

viper456
28-09-07, 15:54
one word.. HA :p cant complain really, it has tons of benefits, now could be the time to quit if this effects you.

Naz2000
28-09-07, 16:02
Yeah...that age limit has absolutely no effect on the teens in my school, I have no idea how but they all seem to have a ciggy shoved in their mouths even though they are 14 or 25 years of age!

Zique
28-09-07, 16:12
In Brazil, it ever was 18

Leo Caprico
28-09-07, 16:26
Here it was a standard that 18 and above only can smoke. So I think it's good.

Draco
28-09-07, 16:45
Nothing will change.

xcrushterx
28-09-07, 17:10
I think it's a good thing. Having these new rules put in place, 17 year olds won't be able to smoke anymore, which means they'll eventually overcome their addiction.
LOL, Saki, being underage will not stop them, trust me ;)

Anyway, I don't intend to smoke ever, but I don't like this change :pi:

Dark Lugia 2
28-09-07, 18:14
I dunno about this, some kids who smoke could do crazy things without the fags, seeming as if your addicted you cant exactly go back to normal life and not smoke o.0 Riots spring to mind :eek:

Tihocan9
28-09-07, 19:45
Good, now i am gonna wait till they ban smoking forever so I can breathe again...but that is unlikly

ThomasCroft
28-09-07, 19:57
Well I'm turning 16 in less than a week so this is kind of a bummer. Not because I want to - or will ever intend to - smoke, but because I like the thought of "I could smoke if I wanted to". I don't know, I suppose it'd make me feel more mature and 16-ish. Ah well, there's loads of other stuff about being 16 I guess ... :whi:

However, my rational mind tells me the government has made a great move. OK, so you're still going to get underage smokers, but making smoking at 16 illegal definitely gives the right message.

Legend of Lara
28-09-07, 20:10
It's always been 18 in Iceland. I think it should be banned altogether instead of raising the age. Smoking is a recipe for disaster imo. :wve:

tomblover
28-09-07, 20:23
It's been 18 all the time in Sweden as well. (As far as I can remember.)

Death sticks should be banned. But then it'd be like drugs, et cetera.

Mad Tony
28-09-07, 20:33
Good.

I find it disgusting how long it's taken for something like this to take effect.

Admles
29-09-07, 04:22
Its been 18 in Australia for as long as I remember, just like drinking alcohol.

I wish they would just outlaw smoking in all areas except peoples own homes..... that'd be lovely.....

Angelx14
29-09-07, 16:51
It's been like that in here since forever. Though nobody really follows that rule and kids can get cigarettes easily. :rolleyes: I hate when people smoke. They don't understand that they are ruining not only their own health, but even the health of people around them.

tizerist
29-09-07, 19:29

lol, the welsh have been turfed from their own country...:vlol:

AmericanAssassin
29-09-07, 19:30
It's already 18 here in the U.S., which I don't care about because cigarettes make people stink. :p

clairelovestlc
29-09-07, 19:32
lol, the welsh have been turfed from their own country...:vlol:

Lol, its what it said on the sign!

AmericanAssassin
29-09-07, 19:33
Its been 18 in Australia for as long as I remember, just like drinking alcohol.

That's lucky because in the U.S. you have to be 21 to legally drink alcohol and it is strictly enforced. :(

Lew
29-09-07, 19:38
I don't like this rule, I don't smoke though. It won't stop chavs from smoking underage, one of the reasons why I don't smoke is because it looks common.

NemesisxAngelus
29-09-07, 19:47
I hate to say this, but it won't stop the underage smoking. Here, in The Netherlands it's 16.

RAID
29-09-07, 19:49
Psh, They don't need to raise the age... They need to ban them all together :whi:

I have no clue why the hell people even mess with cigs, Waste of money and are horrible for your body.
Exactly. Many people smoke just to look cool, and they end up addicted to this hazardous habit in the process.

da tomb raider!
29-09-07, 19:52
The higher they raise the limit, the better. However, it probably won't stop everyone who's underaged from smoking.

I used to smoke. It's a nasty habit. Cigarettes should be banned completely in my opinion.

lita212
29-09-07, 20:44
i agree that they shud make it changed to 18.
also have ya heard what there trying to do with the drinking. there trying to change it so that you cant drink until your 21 like they have in americe! to me thats just stupid and will clearly put all the pubs and clubs outta buissness if it happens.

Mad Tony
29-09-07, 21:47
That's lucky because in the U.S. you have to be 21 to legally drink alcohol and it is strictly enforced. :(How is that a bad thing?

It annoys me slightly about how most other countries already had the limit at 18. Britain is so behind sometimes.

Fish.
30-09-07, 03:51
In the United States, the legal age is 19 and hasn't raised in years.

Laurencarter
30-09-07, 05:34
They should like ban cigarettes. Stop making them.

Little-Lara
30-09-07, 05:41
"Legal age to buy cigarettes raised to 18"

18?!? Raised, or lowered?! :confused: LOL