PDA

View Full Version : Just to get this off my chest.

myrmaad
06-11-07, 11:50
The way I choose to view life in the Lara Universe is like this:

Historically, there have been amazing figures in time. Let's take for example, Jeanne d'Arc. You know her as "Joan of Arc", but the people who actually knew her, knew her as Jeanne d'Arc.

There are many historically known and documented facts about her, but time went by her legend grew far beyond the actual person she was, to a mythological story that grows exponentially with each retelling. The retellings are similar to the old gossip game you may have played as a child. What transpires is like the stories of Paul Bunyan, Davy Crockett, Captain John Smith, and John Henry, real people who through time become mythological _ 9 feet tall, single-handedly defeating the west, marrying Pocahontas, defeating a steam engine in a single round... All blown out of proportion and with very little to do with the actual persons.

CD's Lara, to me, is a mythological Lara, based on but really sharing nothing else with the real Lara. That's why the moniker "LEGEND" is so appropriate. Even Chronicles began this road of Idolization that CD probably unintentionally carries on.

That's the Lara World According To Myrmaad.

Your mileage may vary, and I could care less if it does. This is my view.

BlackGrey
06-11-07, 11:59
I didn't know why they needed to toy with Lara's character or personality at all. They knew it was something highly precouis and that we'd get narked off if they laid a finger on and they did. Without even consulting us. All it would have took is for someone to come on as an official represntative of the developer to tell us about the direction of the new games and if we agreed. Would have been logical but they seem so out of touch with the fans. This way, god know's what kind of Lara we might have at the end.

rowanlim
06-11-07, 12:25
I didn't know why they needed to toy with Lara's character or personality at all. They knew it was something highly precouis and that we'd get narked off if they laid a finger on and they did. Without even consulting us. All it would have took is for someone to come on as an official represntative of the developer to tell us about the direction of the new games and if we agreed. Would have been logical but they seem so out of touch with the fans. This way, god know's what kind of Lara we might have at the end.

i agree. her original personality was the thing that made Lara appealing...changing it doesnt HELP the game :(

she was a ***** & i loved her that way :ohn:

GodOfLight
06-11-07, 12:34
The way I choose to view life in the Lara Universe is like this:

Historically, there have been amazing figures in time. Let's take for example, Jeanne d'Arc. You know her as "Joan of Arc", but the people who actually knew her, knew her as Jeanne d'Arc.

There are many historically known and documented facts about her, but time went by her legend grew far beyond the actual person she was, to a mythological story that grows exponentially with each retelling. The retellings are similar to the old gossip game you may have played as a child. What transpires is like the stories of Paul Bunyan, Davy Crockett, Captain John Smith, and John Henry, real people who through time become mythological _ 9 feet tall, single-handedly defeating the west, marrying Pocahontas, defeating a steam engine in a single round... All blown out of proportion and with very little to do with the actual persons.

CD's Lara, to me, is a mythological Lara, based on but really sharing nothing else with the real Lara. That's why the moniker "LEGEND" is so appropriate. Even Chronicles began this road of Idolization that CD probably unintentionally carries on.

That's the Lara World According To Myrmaad.

Your mileage may vary, and I could care less if it does. This is my view.

that's what i though this was going to be originally... that Legend would just sortf of be a legend of Lara Croft...

and to me, thats all it is. Legend's Lara is not Lara to most fans who grew up with her. Legend Lara is not Lara to me. AOD proved to not satisfy enough with its fragmented pieces. So, what it boils down to for me is that we're still stuck with Lara trapped in Egypt... and dead. So, she's probably dead. So, instead all we have are badly retold versions of her original exploits (Anniversary) and new unnecesary legendary pulp (Legend).

I really want someone else to take over the TR franchise (anyone remember the Ubisoft rumour from a month or so back? that was interesting!). Let a completly new company have Lara... then they will start anew and look at what Core did wrong, what CD did very wrong, and what fans want. And then we might just finally get somewhere.

Until then, I'd rather have tea with Lara's corpse beneath the Great Pyramid. :)

myrmaad
06-11-07, 12:39
^ I LOVE IT!!! :vlol: :hug:

Encore
06-11-07, 12:57
that's what i though this was going to be originally... that Legend would just sortf of be a legend of Lara Croft...

and to me, thats all it is. Legend's Lara is not Lara to most fans who grew up with her. Legend Lara is not Lara to me. AOD proved to not satisfy enough with its fragmented pieces. So, what it boils down to for me is that we're still stuck with Lara trapped in Egypt... and dead. So, she's probably dead. So, instead all we have are badly retold versions of her original exploits (Anniversary) and new unnecesary legendary pulp (Legend).

I really want someone else to take over the TR franchise (anyone remember the Ubisoft rumour from a month or so back? that was interesting!). Let a completly new company have Lara... then they will start anew and look at what Core did wrong, what CD did very wrong, and what fans want. And then we might just finally get somewhere.

Until then, I'd rather have tea with Lara's corpse beneath the Great Pyramid. :)

Great post. :) I'm really more interested in the gameplay but, as far as storyline goes, I feel Tomb Raider is entering the stages of "Batman Forever" (Joel Schumacher taking over Tim Burton's work, just like Crystal took Core's work), and like the Batman movie series, the quality of the character development is dropping until, in a few years, an entirely new team grabs Lara and reformulates everything again, Batman Begins style. :D

(sorry for the stupid parallel but..)

Cochrane
06-11-07, 13:02
I also think that Legend is more a description of Lara than of the story about the sword in the stone, or lake, or lady, or stone in the lake, or whatever.

However, it's hard to say in what game she wasn't. Tomb Raiders 1-5 all painted a rather stylised, exaggerated picture of her. Think about Tomb Raider 4, where she wrestles with an ancient god she released herself, and utters sentences such as "I make my own luck". Or going back a little, think of Tomb Raider 2 and it's FMVs, with the breaking plane before you come to Nepal: It is all about Lara as a Legend.

Legend is only in so far new as this game is really about Lara, i.e. her motivation comes from herself, not from some external force that wants her to do something or needs to be stopped. It is a difference, right, but not that much.

The one game that is the exception is Angel of Darkness, which shows Lara as more of a human being than any other game, making deals with shady characters, being actually chased and in a difficult position, and nearly falling in love. One can argue long enough whether these were good decision (I actually liked them on the second play through), but they are certainly very unlike all the other games.

Encore
06-11-07, 13:39
The one game that is the exception is Angel of Darkness, which shows Lara as more of a human being than any other game, making deals with shady characters, being actually chased and in a difficult position, and nearly falling in love. One can argue long enough whether these were good decision (I actually liked them on the second play through), but they are certainly very unlike all the other games.

Funny how that didn't make her look as emotionally fragile as in Legend and Anniversary..

Earthcane
06-11-07, 13:44
Hey, Myrmaad:

Technically, this idea is touched upon in the Witchblade Comics, ever read them??
It basically says that down through History, one woman has risen to the level of
Bladewearer- famous entities such as Cleopatra, Grace o Malley, and as you mentioned,
Jeanne D'arc. So that would make Sara Pezinni the next in line:

http://i22.************/2ex0nlv.jpg

But I can see where youre coming from, Lara is almost supernatural in character, a modernday Cleopatra or Joan of Arc.
Legend Lara, and even AOD lara, showed her as a human being with feelings. But we dont want to see this side of her, we want the bad-to-the-bone lara attitude that we saw in the Classics.

But waht if the next TR game brought this aspect of her character back from the dead?

myrmaad
06-11-07, 15:04
Hey, Myrmaad:

Technically, this idea is touched upon in the Witchblade Comics, ever read them??
It basically says that down through History, one woman has risen to the level of
Bladewearer- famous entities such as Cleopatra, Grace o Malley, and as you mentioned,
Jeanne D'arc. So that would make Sara Pezinni the next in line:

http://i22.************/2ex0nlv.jpg

But I can see where youre coming from, Lara is almost supernatural in character, a modernday Cleopatra or Joan of Arc.
Legend Lara, and even AOD lara, showed her as a human being with feelings. But we dont want to see this side of her, we want the bad-to-the-bone lara attitude that we saw in the Classics.

But waht if the next TR game brought this aspect of her character back from the dead?

I have missed out on the Witchblade series, but SOMEDAY... (I love the art, and what I've seen of the series online.)

I don't know what to think of Lara's future. By the time TR8 comes out my currently gaming-compatible new PC will be no doubt be obsolete and unworthy, and I opted for a Wii rather than wait for and negotiate a PS3 with my non-gamer husband. I will probably just pass it up, at least until the PS3 and TR8 on the dusty second-hand discount shelves.