PDA

View Full Version : Strange level crash

tweetygwee
07-11-07, 20:49
I've had a crashing problem bugging me for a while now, but there isn't any obvious reason.

-There is a certain area where lara cannot go in the level, if she does, it crashes.
-Lara can "look" at this area, so it isn't like shiny on static crashes, which occur when looking at a certain part.
-I've tried deleting all the objects, fountain sounds and lights in the room and still it makes no difference
-I have never placed a trigger in this area, as far as I can remember.

I wonder if anyone else has had a crash like this :confused: So are there any reasons why this could happen? Thanks in advance.

:)

LaraCablara
07-11-07, 21:00
I had this problem once when I built a large area that was empty (just a giant square) and partly untextured. However it went away after I added all the objects and filled up the room.

I'm not sure if that helps however :o.

mattlsu
07-11-07, 21:06
I've had a crashing problem bugging me for a while now, but there isn't any obvious reason.

-There is a certain area where lara cannot go in the level, if she does, it crashes.
-Lara can "look" at this area, so it isn't like shiny on static crashes, which occur when looking at a certain part.
-I've tried deleting all the objects, fountain sounds and lights in the room and still it makes no difference
-I have never placed a trigger in this area, as far as I can remember.

I wonder if anyone else has had a crash like this :confused: So are there any reasons why this could happen? Thanks in advance.

:)

I'm also having this problem, the room is huge, and Lara can look in it but when she enters it crashes. I'm thinking it might be that I have too many bulbs, but any advice will help me also.

stranger1992
07-11-07, 21:08
is your PRJ map in 2d view in the bottom-right hand corner? That area is buggy so it has to be avoided..it could be that. Try moving it as far away as possible ;)

tweetygwee
07-11-07, 21:48
I had this problem once when I built a large area that was empty (just a giant square) and partly untextured. However it went away after I added all the objects and filled up the room.

I'm not sure if that helps however :o.

I'm also having this problem, the room is huge, and Lara can look in it but when she enters it crashes. I'm thinking it might be that I have too many bulbs, but any advice will help me also.

This is indeed a huge area, a big town square. Funny how it only crashes in one tiny part though :confused:

is your PRJ map in 2d view in the bottom-right hand corner? That area is buggy so it has to be avoided..it could be that. Try moving it as far away as possible ;)

Nah, it's nowhere near it, and that usually causes texture problems rather than crashes :) .

Here's a screen of the affected room:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/tweetygwee/3D_Panel_0001-1.jpg

As you can see there are quite a lot of different tetxures in the room, and many connections to other rooms. I've tried texturing blandly and removing the fountain loop, doesn't seem to do much.

BTW, the problem isn't with the entire room, just where the awnings are and over part of the water room. Lara can run around the back.

LaraCablara
07-11-07, 21:53
Try removing the little sound object :) It often crashes my level.

Edit: I see you tried, never mind!

tweetygwee
07-11-07, 22:11
Try removing the little sound object :) It often crashes my level.

Edit: I see you tried, never mind!

Well actually I didn't delete both of them last time (there's one in an adjacent room)... which I have now and still no luck :(

stranger1992
07-11-07, 22:15
hmm....try deleting the room. It sounds bad but it seems the clear thing for me to say. Save your PRJ then deleate it and start just that room again. :D Aren't these crashes sooo annoying!! and random!:hea::hea::hea:

tweetygwee
07-11-07, 22:21
hmm....try deleting the room. It sounds bad but it seems the clear thing for me to say. Save your PRJ then deleate it and start just that room again. :D Aren't these crashes sooo annoying!! and random!:hea::hea::hea:

Yeah, I'll probably just do that. If it still doesn't do anything - i'm in trouble! :vlol:

mattlsu
07-11-07, 22:23
Well I'm working on the TR Rebirth project, and I've taken the project file directly from the original TR game, and it played it through before I re-textured and added lighting to rooms. It worked fine before.

It's most likely the texturing, if not lighting. I'm doing the whole project in Big Texture mode, which might be an overload for such a large room. :hea: I'll play around and see if that's the problem.

tweetygwee
07-11-07, 22:30
Fixed. :D

I copied the room, then deleted the troublesome one. I moved the copied one over and reconnected everything and it worked! I know copying rooms deletes all the objects/ lights etc, but I don't think it was that as I already tried it. It must have been a lost object/trigger or something. Anyway, thanks, and it's good to know this isn't just me!