PDA

View Full Version : Greenpeace & Nintendo

Tombreaper
29-11-07, 00:56
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/toxics/electronics/how-the-companies-line-up%20

So a better world without Nintendo :cln:

vespertea
29-11-07, 01:06
Hah! Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I'm using a Mac... Well dang. I mean, it's not exactly the worst on there, but a 6/10 isn't anything to be too proud of. :rolleyes:

SamReeves
29-11-07, 03:25
Wow, silicon is toxic. What else is new. :pi:

Rivendell
29-11-07, 09:28
I saw a headline of this before, got to say it made me laugh.

"Greenpeace: Nintendo is the worst company ever."

It's not something to laugh about in honesty though.

disneyprincess20
29-11-07, 10:31
Surely this is a little redundant? Is anyone going to boycott Nintendo just because Greenpeace says so? Plus not that long ago Greenpeace slammed the iPhone, even though it met with EU Chemical Standards (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/16/greenpeace_vs_apple/), purely for the headlines the criticism would grab (source (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/23/greenpeace_vs_apple_round_two/)).

I can't help but think they're doing this just because everyone want a Wii, and they want some publicity.

kryptonite23
29-11-07, 10:56
If Nintendo will be vanisheed there is still another one. :cln: :tmb:

Necromanser
29-11-07, 10:57
If Nintendo will be vanisheed there is still another one. :cln: :tmb:
What do oyu mean by that?

kryptonite23
29-11-07, 10:59
What do oyu mean by that?
There is another production that will make us alive,for instance. :D

myrmaad
29-11-07, 11:03
hello? Actually I'm glad Greenpeace is keeping tabs. Responsible consumers are informed consumers, does that mean I'll boycott Nintendo. No. I'm not getting rid of my Wii and I'll continue playing with my SNES till it dies (it's about 15 years old and still works great).

But I'm also a vocal consumer, and green living means a LOT to me, and to my kids and their futures. (I just welcomed a new niece the night before last and my brother named her after me!)

Japanese companies are by far the worst environmental offenders lately and it's up to us to make a difference by caring and voicing our concerns.

disneyprincess20
29-11-07, 11:06
hello? Actually I'm glad Greenpeace is keeping tabs. Responsible consumers are informed consumers, does that mean I'll boycott Nintendo. No. I'm not getting rid of my Wii and I'll continue playing with my SNES till it dies (it's about 15 years old and still works great).

But I'm also a vocal consumer, and green living means a LOT to me, and to my kids and their futures. (I just welcomed a new niece the night before last and my brother named her after me!)

Japanese companies are by far the worst environmental offenders lately and it's up to us to make a difference by caring and voicing our concerns.

I respect what you're saying, but I have very little respect with regards to Greenpeace about this. they've admitted they;ll do it for the publicity and I can't help but think they're doing it again.

Angelus
29-11-07, 11:08
Wow, silicon is toxic. What else is new. :pi:

The girl in your avatar doesn't look poisoned. :p

myrmaad
29-11-07, 11:12
I respect what you're saying, but I have very little respect with regards to Greenpeace about this. they've admitted they;ll do it for the publicity and I can't help but think they're doing it again.

Why shouldn't they try to get publicity?

disneyprincess20
29-11-07, 11:14
By lying? That's not right.

If they want publicity, they should earn it through worthwhile activities, not by bashing the latest it-product. Yes, the bashing gets them more publicity, but if it's not true it'll only damage them more in the long run.

myrmaad
29-11-07, 11:26
I (just now) read your source, I think their zeal got the best of them, but the point was not to lie and say that iphone wasn't compliant, just that it only met the bare minimal standards, which in my view is still troubling.

I probably tend to cut them a bit of slack, since they're one organization who are actually trying to make a difference not for profit, compared to millions of organizations and companies who rape the planet for profit chasing the almighty dollar$.

disneyprincess20
29-11-07, 12:18
I've got nothing wrong with their cause, but I just don't like the way they go about things. Surely by being honest and focusing on doing more things to help the planet, rather than hinder the organisations, they would achieve more. It's the extremes of Greenpeace I don't like - the strapping themselves to whaling boats or throwing rocks through car windows* that I think is too much. I admire the cause, but not the way they go about it. I think this stunt is another way for them to get some easy publicity by ****ging off the toy of the moment. Yes, Nintendo should shape up and be more environmentally aware, but I can't help but think that Greenpeace are just pointing this out to be controversial, not to make a difference to the planet.

*(this happened in my area when I was younger. They were protesting at the local hunt and shoved a rock through the window of a Land Rover Discovery, thinking it belonged to a member of the hunt. Little did they know it was the local newscasters, so the news report that evening was hilarious)

illuminati30
29-11-07, 12:52
Nintendo consoles are built to last, so you can be sure you are going to get a life time of gameplay from their systems. I still have my SNES and N64, and they still work. I am hoping the Wii will have a life of the same time, and I am sure it will.

This is perhaps a rather unfair scale. It takes into account personal computers, mobile phones, TV's and games consoles. Games consoles being the thing people are much less likely to throw away and buy in quantity. Every house hold in the world has a TV (almost) and every person on the planet has a mobile phone (in the developed world). We are talking masses and masses. Not every person on the planet has a Wii or a DS. As for Sony and Microsoft, you have to take into account all of their other products as well, PC's, Phones etc. If you consider how long a PC lasts, and how often people update them, and mobiles phones, there is a trend to have the latest one, companies of which give them away with contracts. Even though Sony Ericsson, Samsung and Nokia are ranking highest, how many of their mobile phones per year do people throw away even with less toxic chemicals?

In terms of recycling, it is big house hold items like TV's and PC's and laptops which cause the most problems.

However, this is something Nintendo should work on, although their products are designed to be in date for at least 5 years, and working functionally for a longer time. Their product is not intended to be a part of a throw away society, that we seem to have these days, and i dare say the spot light would not be on them concerning this if it were not for the outrageous success of the Wii and the DS.

SamReeves
29-11-07, 16:09
*(this happened in my area when I was younger. They were protesting at the local hunt and shoved a rock through the window of a Land Rover Discovery, thinking it belonged to a member of the hunt. Little did they know it was the local newscasters, so the news report that evening was hilarious)

Very true Steph. Greenpeace funds environmental wackos to go out and commit plunder and domestic terror for that matter. Why should a Land Rover dealer live in fear? Greenpeace's hatred for a capitalist society is so transparent in the kinds of propaganda they put out. They are on DOJ and DHS's list for a reason. :pi:

Cochrane
29-11-07, 16:26
Looking at the actual data from Greenpeace, it seems that Nintendo scored an overall 0 because they don't provide any information on what they do to protect the environment. So it's not that Nintendo is bad, it's that we have no idea whether Nintendo is bad or not.

That is, of course, a valid way to rank them. After all, there is a non-zero chance that Nintendo is really as bad in any or maybe even all of these areas. However, concluding from this that Nintendo is the worst company ever is, while technically correct, very misleading. Nintendo's products aren't the worst ever for the environment, or at least we don't know for certain. Nintendo's communication about their environment protection policies is the worst ever. That's a huge difference, and in my opinion, Greenpeace should have said so straight away.

Dark Lugia 2
29-11-07, 17:44
I actually read somewhere once that nintendo consoles use less electricity/wats/whatever than other companies' consoles. :p

illuminati30
29-11-07, 17:52
I actually read somewhere once that nintendo consoles use less electricity/wats/whatever than other companies' consoles. :p

That is probably true considering it is about a quarter of the size, in fact probably smaller!