PDA

View Full Version : Why no retexturing for Tomb Raider 3?

TRJTA
02-12-07, 16:10
Tomb Raider 3 is still one of my favourite Tomb Raiders ever,
for Tomb Raider 1 a lot of retexture packs are made for Glidos, and it looks stunning.

But wouldn't you just love to see Tomb Raider 3 with high-res realistic textures? Maybe the author of Glidos can be contacted.

Imagine the jungle in it's full glory, and Lara with high-res textures, how cool!

Please reply:D

IceDragon
02-12-07, 16:42
I'd love a retextured TR3, but Glidos is only for DOS games. I'm not sure if it's possible to do things like that with Windows games.

I hope it can be done someday though. India and the South Pacific would be amazing.

tizerist
02-12-07, 16:52
if i remember correctly, fans of half life we're butchering and changing the game well into the games lifespan. there was all sorts of graphical upgrades up for download.

and that wasnt DOS...

Tomb Raider Master
02-12-07, 18:29
Retexturing all TR games would be nice to see IMO.

MadCroy101
02-12-07, 19:26
TRIII is fine how it is, its already great looking, and it has the best textures in the trilogy. So..... why complain (if you are complaining :p)

tizerist
02-12-07, 23:37
i'm anxious to know how plausible this is.
who could we ask??:confused:

TRJTA
03-12-07, 13:12
I think that if it is possible we would need to do one of the following things:

- Make a program like Glidos, but then for TRII/III/IV/V from which texture packs can be activated.

- Somehow rip the levels and remake them and then retexture (insane work)

- Or...nothing :(

I mean, even though Tomb Raider I IS a DOS game, it still is the same engine as that one from Tomb Raider 2 'till 5, only those ones are upgraded, so theoretically is SHOULD be possible I think.:o

TRJTA
03-12-07, 13:13
Of course we could also ask the author of Glidos to figure something out:D

Drone
03-12-07, 13:27
original is always better it gives the true atmosphere :)

Endow
03-12-07, 21:03
if i remember correctly, fans of half life we're butchering and changing the game well into the games lifespan. there was all sorts of graphical upgrades up for download.

and that wasnt DOS...

Half Life was built from the ground up as a game to be tinkered with. There was a SDK and people could make mods. Not so with TRIII or any TR for that matter. The closest you can get is with TR5's level editor.

tizerist
03-12-07, 21:07
aah, gutted.

how's life in Riven? Haven't been there for ages!

Aurimas
03-12-07, 21:15
TRIII is fine how it is, its already great looking, and it has the best textures in the trilogy. So..... why complain (if you are complaining :p)
Agree.

Tihocan9
03-12-07, 21:23
Couldn't you save the disc info to your hard drive then open up the map files into the LE then retexture them?

But I think it would be great, I love TR3 and with new textures would look amazing I love the glidos retexturing of TR1 so this would be great.

TrKing_Rulz
03-12-07, 21:31
Couldn't you save the disc info to your hard drive then open up the map files into the LE then retexture them?

But I think it would be great, I love TR3 and with new textures would look amazing I love the glidos retexturing of TR1 so this would be great.

Why would they have the project maps on them?:confused:
That was just an LE thing: In the manual it says:
"Take a look at the maps we included for reference..."

Unless you're right. I don't have TR:3 on PC to test; but i'm so sure that they don't need the maps, only the TR3 files... (Equivelent to .TR4 in LE files).

Endow
03-12-07, 22:04
aah, gutted.

how's life in Riven? Haven't been there for ages!

I wouldn't know.I'm trapped in a cage with this dumb guy staring at me!

Tihocan9
04-12-07, 01:30
Why would they have the project maps on them?:confused:
That was just an LE thing: In the manual it says:
"Take a look at the maps we included for reference..."

Unless you're right. I don't have TR:3 on PC to test; but i'm so sure that they don't need the maps, only the TR3 files... (Equivelent to .TR4 in LE files).

I had a feeling it wouldnt but I dont have it either to test it.

thecentaur
04-12-07, 01:53
if this ever comes out in the near future, please don't make us pay money just to activate it. I'm the pennypincher

PaulD
04-12-07, 09:38
Russian funs can do this with original TR3
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3562/hiresch8.th.gif (http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hiresch8.gif)

Textures from Glodos were transfered to TR3.
Looks great.

TRJTA
04-12-07, 10:56
If that is possible, if it IS possible to retexture Lara's passport.
Then actually, theoretically the other textures could be replaced too!
Can you contact those Russian guys?:D

Aztek463
16-12-07, 20:05
It can definitely be done. There are loads of texture mods available for newer games. I don't see why it isn't possible for Tomb Raider.

Betal
16-12-07, 20:58
The only way to mod TR3 is to convert the levels to TRLE project files.

Gambit37
17-12-07, 13:48
The only way to mod TR3 is to convert the levels to TRLE project files.
Indeed, and even with the newer limit-reducing engines such as NGLE it still wouldn't give you especially high-res textures.

In theory a Glidos type program for TR2-5 is possible. I guess someone would have to be interested enough in the idea to devote some significant time to it.

mizuno_suisei
17-12-07, 14:45
It's impossible really to give TR3 Hi-Rez Textures. Using the TextureBUilder program, you can extract BMP files from each TR/3 Level and put new textures in, but being only 64x64 Texture tiles, They wont be high quality, just different looking textures. Unless there is a program which can map certain 64x64 texture files to new 128x128 or 256x256 Texture Tiles. I've done such things, but its still bad quality.

Gambit37
17-12-07, 15:43
What some of you don't seem to realise is that the texture replacement in Glidos is a side effect of the way it works. Glidos is a tool to get old GLIDE based game working in Windows -- the texture replacement wasn't originally intended as a feature, it just turned out that it was easy to implement.

Writing a similar kind of tool for TR2-5 would not be impossible but it would have to be done from scratch and it would having nothing to do with Glidos.

I did in fact pose the question about writing a TR2-5 version to Paul (Glidos programmer) about two years ago:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=7879&

Betal
17-12-07, 16:08
It's impossible really to give TR3 Hi-Rez Textures. Using the TextureBUilder program, you can extract BMP files from each TR/3 Level and put new textures in, but being only 64x64 Texture tiles, They wont be high quality, just different looking textures. Unless there is a program which can map certain 64x64 texture files to new 128x128 or 256x256 Texture Tiles. I've done such things, but its still bad quality.

256x256 textures is high res. You just need to find good quality textures on the net.

Gambit37
20-12-07, 12:10
256x256 textures is high res. You just need to find good quality textures on the net.
256x256 is higher res than the original game, though these days it's not really considered high res when environment textures are often as large as 2048x2048 in current games. :)

Necromanser
21-12-07, 06:03

and that wasnt DOS...
YEs they have ,made hi re texture packs and new weapons textures.

mizuno_suisei
21-12-07, 14:06

128x128 Is pretty high res if you ask me, in terms of TR1,2,3,4,5. Since all of those games used Geometry Textures as 64x64.

Ironik
21-12-07, 18:37
its actually quite easy i think, just rip the levels, open the .tga file in a texture editor on the right side, then open the high res textures on the left side, then copy over one that matches the other until the others are all high res, then they should automatically be changed in the level, run a program that will make it playable in tr3, then recopy over, sounds easy but it would be quite hard actually now i think about it.

na_th_an
22-12-07, 13:47

and that wasnt DOS...

But they have the source, which we don't.

Glidos works differently, it's not an update to the game engine, but a Glide emulator. When the modified MSDOS version which used 3DFx attempts to call the glide driver (sort of like a MSDOS DirectX for 3DFx cards), Glidos traps those calls and translate them to DirectX calls, so you can play it in moder graphic cards and not just 3DFx cards.

tomblover
22-12-07, 14:32
A graphically upped TR3 would own. :tmb:

EtchUbel
17-02-08, 01:58
Sounds cool, lol i have no real advice but i would love to play it :P

Maybe if you got a tool to convert the .TR3 files to .TR4 files and then you could edit it on Editor to your hearts content, although some of the weapons probably wouldn't work :(