PDA

View Full Version : The Last Book You Read

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

lord gaga
26-08-10, 22:24
A series of unfortunate events
book the 13th
The End.

It may be a child book but one of the darkest i have ever read.

ZapTheLadyBird
27-08-10, 13:38
Lirael - Garth Nix

http://images.aceson.multiply.com/image/2/photos/upload/300x300/SRUtIwoKCCYAAEFGCtI1/cover-lirael.jpg?et=XE,ZCPAePGgiVNmRUySoJw&nmid=131753982

My favourite book :)

Your_Envy*
27-08-10, 19:53
http://www.shrani.si/f/c/sS/3ZEaDiHR/2k5049fda429.gif

Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code.
In Slovene of course. :ohn:

Yeah I know, you all probably read it ages ago. :p But I read it today and I must say it's amazing. :tmb: I loved everything about it, I was very curious all the time, and surprised, and just amazed by everything. Dan Brown is a genius! :cln:

lara c. fan
27-08-10, 19:55
I read it just last week! :D

Smog
27-08-10, 20:01
Dan Brown is a genius! :cln:

Ah, I take it you haven't read any of his other books then. :whi:

Minty Mouth
27-08-10, 20:03

I take it she hasn't read many books in general. :pi:

(lol jk!)

Your_Envy*
27-08-10, 20:05
I read it just last week! :D

:tmb: :hug:

No, I am planning to read Angels & Demons now. :D Why?

I take it she hasn't read many books in general. :pi:

(lol jk!)

:pi: I read TONS of books actually, but since I have Uni it's very hard to read something that isn't Biology. :pi: :vlol:

Smog
27-08-10, 20:14
No, I am planning to read Angels & Demons now. :D Why?

Don't know about Angels & Demons, but I read Digital Fortress because I had literally nothing else available and it was bad enough to make me angry at people who proclaim Dan Brown to be a good writer. Oh God, that's a horrible thing to say. :D

Your_Envy*
27-08-10, 21:00
Well I only read The Da Vinci Code and it was fantastic. :cln: Angels & Demons and The Lost Symbol have, just like The Da Vinci Code, very good reviews. So I will read both and then tell you for real if he really is such a good writer. The Da Vinci Code was beyond amazing for me. <3

touchthesky
27-08-10, 21:08
Reading Dexter is Delicious.

larson n natla
27-08-10, 21:26
I'm midway through my first read of 'The Beach'

Monari
28-08-10, 09:23
Don't know about Angels & Demons, but I read Digital Fortress because I had literally nothing else available and it was bad enough to make me angry at people who proclaim Dan Brown to be a good writer. Oh God, that's a horrible thing to say. :D
Well I only read The Da Vinci Code and it was fantastic. :cln: Angels & Demons and The Lost Symbol have, just like The Da Vinci Code, very good reviews. So I will read both and then tell you for real if he really is such a good writer. The Da Vinci Code was beyond amazing for me. <3
Hmmm. :cool:
I've really enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortress. :D
But I didn't like Angels & Demons very much. :pi:

RockSteady101
28-08-10, 09:30
Pride & Prejudice

Minty Mouth
28-08-10, 22:54
The Collector by John Fowles

Absolutely great. Couldn't stop reading it, definitely deserves to be a more widely renowned classic that it currently is. Even gets into aesthetic philosophy and politics withoiut slowing down the strictly two character plot for even a second.

lara c. fan
28-08-10, 22:56
The Thin Executioner by Darren Shan

It makes a decent change from his usual horror stories of demons and such. I'd much prefer him to carry on with the Demonata series, though D:

rowanlim
29-08-10, 05:43
Started reading Come the Spring by Julie Garwood. Seems better so far than her other historical romance novels :D

t-raider26
29-08-10, 07:27
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0553494058.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:D

Nemo_91
30-08-10, 21:28
Charlaine Harris - Definitely Dead.

tranniversary119
30-08-10, 21:43
The Hunger Games. Amazing book!

Biddy
31-08-10, 22:38
Just finished reading A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly.

Absolutely lovely. I don't think I ever got so attached to characters in a book.

HappyShannon
31-08-10, 22:40
"I Miss Mummy" by Cathy Glass.
I love her books so much <3
She emailed me once when I messaged her about her books <3<3 :D

Minty Mouth
02-09-10, 21:42
Invitation to a Beheading by Vladimir Nabokov.

Ampersand
02-09-10, 22:01
Piercing by Ryu Murakami. Interestingly dark and pretty good, if a bit truncated and random in a Japanese way.

FloTheMachine
03-09-10, 20:59
Night World. The Chosen I think... The one with Rashel.

Greatest book I read in a long time :)

Oh and Cut. I can't remember the Author. Patricia something I think. It's back at the library now though :D

IceColdLaraCroft
03-09-10, 21:08
I'm reading "unbound" about the Long march in China

Spong
04-09-10, 20:08
http://69-247.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/97807181555441.jpg

Biddy
04-09-10, 20:12
Currently through; Wicked: The life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West. (Pant)

I can honestly say that I really like Gregory Maguire's take on the land of Oz. :)

Rai
04-09-10, 21:19
Graceling, by Kristin Cashore.

Effie
04-09-10, 21:59
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
I really love it. It is very simple but holds so much greatness. :D

rowanlim
05-09-10, 14:20
Reading two books now:

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab280/erinjonquil/51wQBf7blCL__SS500_.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab280/erinjonquil/tceqkezp.jpg

Drone
07-09-10, 14:55
PC Magazine September 2010
PC World October 2010

Nemo_91
07-09-10, 16:23
Charlaine Harris: All Together Dead.

Paddy
08-09-10, 01:22
http://www.qbd.com.au/products/l/9680/9780732909680.jpg
Started reading it a couple days ago, very interesting insight to the infamous Milat family.

Another Lara
08-09-10, 08:19
Alison Weir's Henry VIII: King and Court

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Essex_punkette12/51nkd7ulQQL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

and Alison Weir's The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Essex_punkette12/x23309.jpg

Both absolutely fantastic books! :D

Shark_Blade
08-09-10, 11:05
Spiderman - The Death of Gwen Stacy.

Interesting....I think she should die in SPiderman 3 movie..:pi:

L.C
09-09-10, 06:39
http://naysue.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/the-help.png

Very funny, warm, insightful, and thoroughly recommended :)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2brR4nApx7A/TEgWDNbFYvI/AAAAAAAAAzY/SJ3cpnb_sug/s1600/the-passage-justin-cronin.jpg

Fabulous read.

Even though it's nearly 800 pages long, I ended up still wanting to read more :cln:

http://www.maturetimes.co.uk/files/images/To%20Kill%20A%20Mockingbird%2050th%20pbk.jpg

This is the first time I've read this, and see now why it's a classic :tmb:

Yeah I know, you all probably read it ages ago. :p But I read it today and I must say it's amazing. :tmb: I loved everything about it, I was very curious all the time, and surprised, and just amazed by everything. Dan Brown is a genius! :cln:I've only read this and Angels & Demons, altough I have The Lost Symbol waiting on my book shelf, but I really enjoyed them :D Digital Fortress and Deception Point are earlier novels, and they don't feature Robert Langdon, so maybe that's why others may not take well to them.

Another Lara
09-09-10, 08:01
I've only read this and Angels & Demons, altough I have The Lost Symbol waiting on my book shelf, but I really enjoyed them :D Digital Fortress and Deception Point are earlier novels, and they don't feature Robert Langdon, so maybe that's why others may not take well to them.

I lol'd so hard last night while watching an episode of QI when Stephen Fry says that Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code is a bunch of ass gravy and loose stool water!!! :vlol::vlol::vlol:

Entertaining read (as well as Angels and Demons) but you take what he states as fact as a tiny pinch of salt! ;)

Dennis's Mom
09-09-10, 11:41
The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell.

Your_Envy*
09-09-10, 13:09
Can't find the Slovene cover so..

http://www.shrani.si/f/1H/wu/2kAPZdPl/angels-demons-poster-ful.jpg

It was fantastic. :cln: I don't know which one is better, this one or The Da Vinci code. I freakin' love it. :tmb:

L.C, I don't know which one to read. Maybe The Lost Symbol, but Digital Fortress and Deception Point sound good too. :D

michaeldt
09-09-10, 13:22
im reading this book now, its called 'The Lost Boy', its the sequel to 'The Child Called 'It' '
its quite moving and I really suggest it :D

I, Tomb Raider
09-09-10, 15:22
http://blogs.davenportlibrary.com/reference/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/brida1.jpg

Dream_Raider
09-09-10, 16:40
http://www.shrani.si/f/c/sS/3ZEaDiHR/2k5049fda429.gif

Yeah I know, you all probably read it ages ago. :p But I read it today and I must say it's amazing. :tmb: I loved everything about it, I was very curious all the time, and surprised, and just amazed by everything. Dan Brown is a genius! :cln:
I know I loved it!! T'was my third Dan Brown Book.

Digital Fortress is my least favourite Dan Brown book.

I've only read this and Angels & Demons, altough I have The Lost Symbol waiting on my book shelf, but I really enjoyed them :D Digital Fortress and Deception Point are earlier novels, and they don't feature Robert Langdon, so maybe that's why others may not take well to them.

I liked Deception Point a lot! I'm tied as to whether Da Vinci is my favourite or Deception Point...

lovechin
09-09-10, 16:41
A collection of love poems from Hans Kruppa.
Right now I'm reading Pride and Prejudice from Jane Austen.

Your_Envy*
10-09-10, 10:18
I know I loved it!! T'was my third Dan Brown Book.

:jmp: It was my first one, I read Angels & Demons few days ago and now I don't know which one I should read. :vlol:

A collection of love poems from Hans Kruppa.
Right now I'm reading Pride and Prejudice from Jane Austen.

I had to read Pride & Prejudice in High school and I enjoyed it pretty much. :tmb:

Minty Mouth
10-09-10, 22:20
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Be more feminist. Just try.

Good book, though.

TombOfRaiders
10-09-10, 23:11
http://i54.************/15wkiuh.jpg

One of the best books I've ever read. :cln:

L.C
10-09-10, 23:35
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Be more feminist. Just try.

Good book, though.
One of my all-time favourites - love Margaret Atwood :)

I'd recommend her 'Penelopiad' if you haven't read it yet. It's her take of the Iliad but from Penelope's point of view ;)

Minty Mouth
13-09-10, 22:18
This ought to be enough:

I want my learned readers to participate in the scene I am about to replay; I want them to examine its every detail and see for themselves how careful, how chaste, the whole wine-sweet event is if viewed with what my lawyer has called, in a private talk we have had, "impartial sympathy." So let us get started. I have a difficult job before me.

Main character: Humbert the Hummer. Time: Sunday morning in June. Place: sunlit living room. Props: old, candy-striped davenport, magazines, phonograph, Mexican knickknacks (the late Mr. Harold E. Haze--God bless the good man--had engendered my darling at the siesta hour in a blue-washed room, on a honeymoon trip to Vera Cruz, and mementoes, among these Dolores, were all over the place). She wore that day a pretty print dress that I had seen on her once before, ample in the skirt, tight in the bodice, short-sleeved, pink, checkered with darker pink, and, to complete the color scheme, she had painted her lips and was holding in her hollowed hands a beautiful, banal, Eden-red apple. She was not shod, however, for church. And her white Sunday purse lay discarded near the phonograph. My heart beat like a drum as she sat down, cool skirt ballooning, subsiding, on the sofa next to me, and played with her glossy fruit. She tossed it up into the sun-dusted air, and caught it--it made a cupped polished plop. Humbert Humbert intercepted the apple.

"Give it back," - she pleaded, showing the marbled flush of her palms. I produced Delicious. She grasped it and bit into it, and my heart was like snow under thin crimson skin, and with the monkeyish nimbleness that was so typical of that American nymphet, she snatched out of my abstract grip the magazine I had opened (pity no film had recorded the curious pattern, the monogrammic linkage of our simultaneous or overlapping moves). Rapidly, hardly hampered by the disfigured apple she held, Lo flipped violently through the pages in search of something she wished Humbert to see. Found it at last. I faked interest by bringing my head so close that her hair touched my temple and her arm brushed my cheek as she wiped her lips with her wrist. Because of the burnished mist through which I peered at the picture, I was slow in reacting to it, and her bare knees rubbed and knocked impatiently against each other. Dimly there came into view: a surrealist painter relaxing, supine, on a beach, and near him, likewise supine, a plaster replica of the Venus di Milo, half-buried in sand. Picture of the Week, said the legend. I whisked the whole obscene thing away. Next moment, in a sham effort to retrieve it, she was all over me. Caught her by her thin knobby wrist. The magazine escaped to the floor like a flustered fowl. She twisted herself free, recoiled, and lay back in the right-hand corner of the davenport. Then, with perfect simplicity, the impudent child extended her legs across my lap.

By this time I was in a state of excitement bordering on insanity; but I also had the cunning of the insane. Sitting there, on the sofa, I managed to attune, by a series of stealthy movements, my masked lust to her guileless limbs. It was no easy matter to divert the little maiden's attention while I performed the obscure adjustments necessary for the success of the trick. Talking fast, lagging behind my own breath, catching up with it, mimicking a sudden toothache to explain the breaks in my patter--and all the while keeping a maniac's inner eye on my distant golden goal, I cautiously increased the magic friction that was doing away, in an illusional, if not factual, sense, with the physically irremovable, but psychologically very friable texture of the material divide (pajamas and robe) between the weight of two sunburnt legs, resting athwart my lap, and the hidden tumor of an unspeakable passion. Having, in the course of my patter, hit upon something nicely mechanical, I recited, garbling them slightly, the words of a foolish song that was then popular--O my Carmen, my little Carmen, something, something, those something nights, and the stars, and the cars, and the bars, and the barmen; I kept repeating this automatic stuff and holding her under its special spell (spell because of the garbling), and all the while I was mortally afraid that some act of God might interrupt me, might remove the golden load in the sensation of which all my being seemed concentrated, and this anxiety forced me to work, for the first minute or so, more hastily than was consensual with deliberately modulated enjoyment. The stars that sparkled, and the cars that parkled, and the bars, and the barmen, were presently taken over by her; her voice stole and corrected the tune I had been mutilating. She was musical and apple-sweet. Her legs twitched a little as they lay across my live lap; I stroked them; there she lolled in the right-hand corner, almost asprawl, Lola the bobby-soxer, devouring her immemorial fruit, singing through its juice, losing her slipper, rubbing the heel of her slipperless foot in its sloppy anklet, against the pile of old magazines heaped on my left on the sofa--and every movement she made, every shuffle and ripple, helped me to conceal and to improve the secret system of tactile correspondence between beast and beauty--between my gagged, bursting beast and the beauty of her dimpled body in its innocent cotton frock.

Some of my favourite prose ever. He's truly a master. Probably the best there ever was.

L.C
14-09-10, 07:07
^^^^ I've not finished Lolita myself, nor did I finish reading your post (sorry,but I prefer reading opinions rather than text), but agreed; Nabakov does have a way with words ;)

Shark_Blade
14-09-10, 10:22
Live and Let Die, by James Bond author Ian Fleming.

:)

lara c. fan
16-09-10, 19:17
Nightworld, by F Paul Wilson.

Quite the....weird book.

L.C
16-09-10, 20:18
The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler

My reading group picked this one and I looked forward to it since I've always wanted to read The Accidental Tourist by her but can honestly say I didn't really like her style which was very simplistic and vague at times. The story was good, however.

And I will read the other one in future ;)

Have now started Sister by Rosamund Lupton which is the 1st of the new R & J choices and am liking it so far :)

]{eith
16-09-10, 22:17
I'm rereading Stephen King's Misery. Because I just feel I don't have enough stress and anguish in my life. I could really do with some more.

Los Angeles
16-09-10, 22:21
The Catcher In The Rye... Awesome book!!

Shark_Blade
17-09-10, 07:05
Bourne Identity.

I, Tomb Raider
19-09-10, 02:21
http://mojakniga.com.mk/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/_________________4aabb8bb8ade6.jpg

The best book by the best author ever! :tmb:
MOST STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT!

Shark_Blade
19-09-10, 04:19
^Have you read 'And Then There Were None'? :D

I'm reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.

I understand now why people like his writing and why he's a no.1 storyteller. It's not the sense that the story is for kids, it's the way he tells the story, how the protagonist is sympathethic and likeable, how he made the readers marvel at the thought of the chocolate factory and all the delights in it, how he distinguish the good and the bad kids, etc..his writing is a page turner.

This is an excellent piece of writing, can't wait to finish it. :tmb:

I, Tomb Raider
19-09-10, 04:23

Unfortunately no. :/ I am reading "Spider's Web" next. :D

delorean23
19-09-10, 04:33
The last book I read was "The Strain" by Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan. Very good book can't wait for "The Fall" the second book in the trilogy.

Gladous
19-09-10, 04:35
The Pearl

Reading it was torture. :hea:

BlackRainbow
19-09-10, 12:26
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Refreshing my memory in time for the release of the movie. :ohn:

jjbennett
19-09-10, 12:35
Just finished the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Great book until the end...i was actually expecting some majestic finish but instead got a large metaphor. Yeah it is well written and i wanted to keep reading more, but Dan Brown has a way of finishing books with a "wtf?!" moment quite well.

lara c. fan
19-09-10, 12:50
The Catcher In The Rye... Awesome book!!

I found it to be meaningless drabble. But that's just me... :p

Rai
19-09-10, 12:58
Currently reading Atlantis, by David Gibbons. The author is a real marine archaeologist, so he knows a thing or two about shipwrecks and sunken cities. His knowledge really gives the plot an air of authenticity.

BlueJ97
19-09-10, 13:04
The Pearl

Reading it was torture. :hea:
agreed =/
we needed it for some presentation but lazy me just bought a cd with the pearl and it has a voice too so no need to read :cool:

the last book i read was

Death on the nile

rowanlim
19-09-10, 14:22
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Refreshing my memory in time for the release of the movie. :ohn:

I'm about to do that, too! I want to know everything before I enter the cinema, just in case the film screws up, then I get to complain :D

Just finished the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Great book until the end...i was actually expecting some majestic finish but instead got a large metaphor. Yeah it is well written and i wanted to keep reading more, but Dan Brown has a way of finishing books with a "wtf?!" moment quite well.

I was reading the 1st 2 chapters, didn't have the time to finish it. I suppose that's how Dan Brown writes: keeps you hooked then gives you a twister at the end :)

Shark_Blade
19-09-10, 14:39
I'm about to do that, too! I want to know everything before I enter the cinema, just in case the film screws up, then I get to complain :DI never wanted to do that again. :vlol: For Philosopher's Stone, I read the book by heart and when we went to the cinema I got extremely annoyed:
1. Eh, why did they cut out that scene?
2. Huh, what is this scene?
3. Why is this so short?
4. Why does it/this person/place not look like in the books?

So, no. I didn't read Half Blood Prince at all, so I enjoyed the movie immensely. Later on I read the book again, and it becomes a great compliment to some of the holes and answered some of the questions raised in the movie.

Smog
19-09-10, 14:46
I never wanted to do that again. :vlol: For Philosopher's Stone, I read the book by heart and when we went to the cinema I got extremely annoyed:
1. Eh, why did they cut out that scene?
2. Huh, what is this scene?
3. Why is this so short?
4. Why does it/this person/place not look like in the books?

But Philosopher's Stone was one of the most faithful book-to-film adaptations I've ever seen. If anything, that was one of its shortcomings. Even most of the dialogue was lifted directly from the novel.

I'm reading Prisoner of Azkaban just now, in the hope that I can get up to Deathly Hallows by the time the (first) film is released. It's not going to happen though. :(

L.C
19-09-10, 16:56
I read that back in High School and really liked it :) Must make a point of reading some more Agatha Christie in the near future....

I didn't read Half Blood Prince at all, so I enjoyed the movie immensely. Later on I read the book again, and it becomes a great compliment to some of the holes and answered some of the questions raised in the movie.
That's quite a good approach imo :tmb:

I saw the first 4 films before I'd read any of the books and enjoyed each one more than the last when as each was released. Then I read the first 5 books and I can say I enjoyed the books more, but still enjoy those films.

I knew OOTP would never be compressed effectively into one film but I found I enjoyed it more than the previous films, despite having read the book first.

Half-Blood Prince was the only real disappointment for me. Though I loved the film, it wasn't my favourite but maybe because it was my favourite of all the books.

I'm keeping an open mind for the last 2 films ;)

Nemo_91
22-09-10, 11:59
Coelho's The Alchemist. It's quite interesting.

Dennis's Mom
22-09-10, 12:25
Still Life With Crows by Lincoln Preston and Douglas Child.

star-dust
22-09-10, 23:14
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone :D by J.K. Rowling

Drone
23-09-10, 04:21
Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper

scoopy_loopy
23-09-10, 04:39
The Deathly Hallows.

Perfection within it's Genre. :cln:

Cynic
23-09-10, 06:22
Gears of War: Anvil Gate by Karen Traviss.

Mystery-King
23-09-10, 07:09

The...most...perfect...mystery...book...EVER!!!1!! Now that is what i call a great read! :D:D:D:D:D

star-dust
28-09-10, 04:01
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets :)

oocladableeblah
28-09-10, 06:05
Bone: Out From Boneville.

L.C
28-09-10, 14:41
Finished Sister which I found very well written, especially for a debut novel. Recommended :tmb:

Am now reading A Place of Secrets but not finding it all that great. Will let you know when I get to the end :(

Minty Mouth
28-09-10, 16:58
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf.

Really, really loved it.

Effie
29-09-10, 11:52
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n4/n21635.jpg

Dennis's Mom
29-09-10, 12:18
Brimstone by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

Ada the Mental
29-09-10, 14:39
In the last two months I read:

Fight Club- Chuck Palahniuk

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Dearly Devoted Dexter
and Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay.

tranniversary119
29-09-10, 14:42
Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
Fantastic book, and an excellent sequel to the first novel of the series, The Hunger games. While it wasn't as emotional as the first one, it still had it's moments. I'm currently moving on to the third, and final book, Mockingjay.

I, Tomb Raider
29-09-10, 17:30
http://www.mojakniga.com.mk/images/stories/pajakovata.jpg

It was awesome, I am more surprised with every novel I read by the best author. :D Great!

Effie
01-10-10, 11:15
^ Cool, I'd like to read this one :)

Anonimys
01-10-10, 19:57
Cards on the table - Agatha Christie
http://i54.************/2z6vvbd.jpg
I recomend it. :jmp:

]{eith
01-10-10, 20:00
http://www.thebirthinghouse.co.uk/birthing_house_packshot.jpg

Very scary. I really enjoyed it.

lord gaga
02-10-10, 22:16
A Midsummer Night's Dream
It was a truely wonderful play and i'm glad we have to do this book for lit class.

Smog
02-10-10, 22:43
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd262/Smog909/to-kill-a-mockingbird.jpg?t=1286059397

Now I have to see the film.

scoopy_loopy
02-10-10, 23:03
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n54/n272557.jpg

It was good. :)

DgoOdz94
02-10-10, 23:06
Currently reading:
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee for English class.

The last book I read:
Warriors Super Edition: Bluestar's Prophecy - Erin Hunter
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n61/n309106.jpg

tranniversary119
03-10-10, 00:18
Mockingjay-Suzanne Collins: These books definitely get better as they go on. The third, and final book in The Hunger Games trilogy didn't disappoint me the last bit. The ending though? I don't know. It was very sad and okay, I guess.

Rai
03-10-10, 00:35
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n54/n272557.jpg

It was good. :)

Yeah, I liked this one too. It wasn't brilliant, but worth the read :). Do you have Graceling?

scoopy_loopy
03-10-10, 01:03
Yeah, I liked this one too. It wasn't brilliant, but worth the read :). Do you have Graceling?

I really liked it, actually. She used a couple words I'd never seen before, I love it when that happens :p I loved the way she described things, too.

As for Graceling, I just ordered it from Amazon this morning! :D I understand Fire is almost something of a pre-quel? I shouldn't have ruined anything, I hope.

Rai
03-10-10, 23:52
I really liked it, actually. She used a couple words I'd never seen before, I love it when that happens :p I loved the way she described things, too.

As for Graceling, I just ordered it from Amazon this morning! :D I understand Fire is almost something of a pre-quel? I shouldn't have ruined anything, I hope.

It's not obviously so, but there are clues ;).

scoopy_loopy
04-10-10, 00:05
It's not obviously so, but there are clues ;).

Excellent, I'll keep my eyes open for Easter eggs :pi:

rowanlim
04-10-10, 13:34
Savor the Moment, the best of the Vows quartet so far :tmb:

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab280/erinjonquil/savor.jpg

cezy rockeru
04-10-10, 13:39
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt135/cezy_97/serge-brussolo_un-cosmar-de.jpg

I'm sorry but it's in romanian I didn't find any english cover:o The title means Nightmare to Rent or The Rent Nightmare:D I wanted to translate because most of you don't know my language:)Under the title it says something like: "The house on the hill:a gray,gloomy fortress,with windows like the unhealed scars.The shelter of an ancient curse..." :D

interesting huh?:rolleyes:

innocentvenus
04-10-10, 14:04
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/midnightshinigami/shedevil.jpg

I've seen the 89' comedy version, so I wanted to read what it was based on. I just got the British movie version too. :)

Your_Envy*
05-10-10, 13:06
Oscar Wilde - Salomé

For the second time already. I like it, it's short and tragic.

Wolf Knight
05-10-10, 19:33
The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. It's good. ^^

Rai
05-10-10, 23:34
^I've been meaning to get that one.

trlestew
06-10-10, 21:10
http://goodbooksinbadtimes.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/alchemist.jpg

Finished Part I earlier today. So far it's good. I'm still wondering why it's getting so much praise :pi:

Effie
07-10-10, 10:36
http://www.boleafbooks.com/covers/scover.jpg
I'm still reading it, It is good so far, hopefully I'll finish it oday :)

star-dust
08-10-10, 07:11
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling :)

Shark_Blade
09-10-10, 03:19
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.

scoopy_loopy
10-10-10, 08:22
I just read 2 books in quick succession, both recommended by the some random blogger who seemed to have similar tastes to my own. The first book was quite the let down, so I shan't type out the title. Afterwards, I had low hopes for the second - but it took me by surprise and I really enjoyed it. I'm ordering the rest of the series, post-haste. :D It's titled Luck in the Shadows.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/LuckintheShadows_cover.jpg

Minty Mouth
11-10-10, 21:46
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WLPxOB7oL._SS500_.jpg

Came across it completely by chance, but the first page got me hooked. Really brilliant book.

Now I just have to make sure that I never see the film adaption.

TombOfRaiders
21-10-10, 20:31
I rarely read but I found this thriller along my collections today and realized that I haven't finished it so I thought to read on. :D

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/953/bloodties.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/i/bloodties.jpg/)

I, Tomb Raider
21-10-10, 20:55
Some parts of these books, which were obligatory for school. :D

Divine Comedy - Inferno by Dante Alighieri
The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
Canzoniere by Francesco Petrarca

Minty Mouth
22-10-10, 21:33
Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

Not as good as To the Lighthouse, but still loved it.

Dina_Croft
22-10-10, 22:06
http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Stephenie-Meyer-Urges-Fans-to-Read-Bree-Tanner-Before-Seeing-Eclipse-2.jpg

Meh.

Shark_Blade
24-10-10, 07:48
Lol was it that bad?

I'm reading The End Of Harry Potter?, an interesting analysis of the books prior to Deathly Hallows. Absolutely packed with informative details and thought provoking.:)

LNSNHGTDS
24-10-10, 08:08
I've actually started three books at the same time looong time ago but I got bored and never finished them.So,the last book I've read must be an online fanfic novel written by aurora89.I can't remember it's title but I think it was called enemies with benefits.

Effie
24-10-10, 19:55
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166722688l/16346.jpg
I liked it :)

DgoOdz94
24-10-10, 19:57
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Q5wQcJUn1IY/TJbYplMfciI/AAAAAAAAAIw/LZmHniF5i8c/s1600/Speak.jpg

For the second time. It's so great. :)

Minty Mouth
24-10-10, 19:59
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166722688l/16346.jpg
I liked it :)

^^ There's a missing apostrophe on the front cover :p

Effie
24-10-10, 20:30
^^ There's a missing apostrophe on the front cover :p
It was the best cover I could find :p. The book is good though :)

I, Tomb Raider
24-10-10, 20:32
http://www.kultura.com.mk/images/novosti/Zagubeniot%20simbol.jpg

A genius combination of thrill, investigation, mystery, ancient thoughts, different beliefs, mythology, symbols and religion.
I didn't want this book to end.
A big recommendation to all! :tmb:

touchthesky
27-10-10, 10:57
Mini Shopaholic. Not the best in the series but it was alright. Pretty obvious from the ending that there will be another one.

Just started New Moon again. I wish I could tell you how many times I have read this book lmfao.

Shark_Blade
29-10-10, 05:16
Alan Wake.

drakl0r
29-10-10, 05:47
http://www.semiliterati.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/stiff-mary-roach.jpg

Quite an interesting read..I read it for the 2nd time actually :p

cezy rockeru
29-10-10, 14:24
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt135/cezy_97/245-1.jpg
very good book,I recommend it to everybody:tmb:

Minty Mouth
29-10-10, 14:26
^^ I was just thinking about buying that 0_0 Coincidence!

cezy rockeru
29-10-10, 14:27
cool:vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
29-10-10, 14:29
So whats 'The Centaur' about? Centaurs?

Minty Mouth
29-10-10, 14:32
So whats 'The Centaur' about? Centaurs?

In a small Pennsylvania town in the late 1940s, schoolteacher George Caldwell yearns to find some meaning in his life. Alone with his teenage son for three days in a blizzard, Caldwell sees his son grow and change as he himself begins to lose touch with his life. Interwoven with the myth of Chiron, the noblest centaur, and his own relationship to Prometheus, "The Centaur" is one of John Updike's most brilliant and unusual novels.

cezy rockeru
29-10-10, 14:33
So the answer is yes:)But it wasn't all about centaurs:o

xXhayleyroxXx
29-10-10, 14:35
It sounds interesting :tmb: ^_^

BrandonFlowers
29-10-10, 16:47
Dannii Minogue: My Story

Well, i am on chapter 7 right now. I am a really slow reader.

rowanlim
30-10-10, 14:43
Reading Broken Honor by Patricia Potter. So far it feels like the author is trying to describe & explain everything too quickly for me, but it's early pages yet :D

Catapharact
30-10-10, 15:16
http://ecimages.kobobooks.com/Image.ashx?imageID=U4a14LME4USZA1cBU_tiuA&Type=Full

I recommend this one. Quite interesting to say the least.

Paperdoll
30-10-10, 15:19
http://www.semiliterati.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/stiff-mary-roach.jpg

Quite an interesting read..I read it for the 2nd time actually :p

Oooooh am reading that atm, loving it :D although everyone keeps giving me weird looks at work because of the portuguese title... which is mainly the subtitle in english :p

drakl0r
30-10-10, 15:30
Yup, it's a nice and interesting read, though it's not a common topic for a book. Lol does the title sounds very strange in Portuguese? :D

At the moment I'm reading one of her other books, Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex :p

Paperdoll
30-10-10, 18:35
Yup, it's a nice and interesting read, though it's not a common topic for a book. Lol does the title sounds very strange in Portuguese?

Kinda xD

The Mysterious Lives of Corpses.

"Wtf if they're dead, they can't have lives!"
"How morbid!"
"Carla! Ffs, can't you read anything normal?"

lord gaga
30-10-10, 18:37
Harry Potter and the deatly hallows
For the movie on november 17th!:jmp:

DgoOdz94
30-10-10, 19:34
http://english.clas.asu.edu/files/shared/catalyst.jpg

Excellent. Recommend it to EVERYONE! :D

Nemo_91
31-10-10, 17:35
Charlaine Harris: From Dead to Worse.

I, Tomb Raider
05-11-10, 22:35
http://www.mojakniga.com.mk/images/stories/servis%20za%20caj.jpg

Excellent!

Paddy
08-11-10, 11:08
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jWP8wNM6L._SS500_.jpg
Such an awesome book.

robwolf666
08-11-10, 11:17
I'm currently reading the Twilight series again.

I know, I know, hardly a literary masterpiece, but I just love Alice! :)

Dennis's Mom
08-11-10, 11:41
The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Anonimys
08-11-10, 12:12
Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse. :tmb:

Azzy2121
08-11-10, 12:17
Don't Look Back in Hunger by Jo Brand.

Her autobiography, well, the first one. She's an amazing comedienne.

Another Lara
08-11-10, 15:33
Alison Weir's Isabella: She-Wolf of France, Queen of England

This is a biography on a woman in history I knew nothing about beforehand and now I find it hard to tear myself away from the book, I absolutely love it! :D

Effie
12-11-10, 11:30
http://rajatarora.info/talking/wp-content/uploads/The-Lost-Symbol.jpg
It is amazing :D

Shark_Blade
12-11-10, 11:39
^I need to finish that book. I was in the part where they're in the underground tunnel and Robert ran away from that fascist grandma.

Arthemida
12-11-10, 21:59
Currently reading Sacred Bones by Michael Byrnes B-)
But the last one I read was The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet a I love it. I also started watching TV series and I adore them too. I recommend it to everyone :-D

StefanJ94
12-11-10, 22:00
Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic And a Sister

xXhayleyroxXx
12-11-10, 22:07
The Book of Northumbrian Place Names

oh yush <3 :tmb:

Minty Mouth
17-11-10, 16:49
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

Well, that was depressing. Part of me wants to read it again at some point because it was so good, but the other doesn't think I can take the emotional punishment.

NemesisX13X
18-11-10, 00:47
Currently reading:

http://i52.************/2whnz2c.jpg

scremanie
18-11-10, 01:10
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-sc-novel-coll-vol-1-jun101282.jpg

DgoOdz94
18-11-10, 01:15
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

Well, that was depressing. Part of me wants to read it again at some point because it was so good, but the other doesn't think I can take the emotional punishment.
I absolutely adore that book!!!! :jmp: It was so amazing and how the story develops was quite interesting. The movie had gaps (as always) but it was also good!

Last book I read:
http://bookends.booklistonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/wintergirls.jpg

Amazing!!!!! :yik:

Minty Mouth
21-11-10, 22:34
Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Kind of want to watch the film of this one.

Shark_Blade
28-11-10, 04:28
Which book should I start today?

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9027/1book.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/i/1book.jpg/)

*Humm to himself* ^_^
Wouldn't it be grand if I have a HUGE library like in Beauty and the Beast? All the interesting books for me to read..:D

Laras Boyfr.
29-11-10, 10:29
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer ;)

for sure the best book of all 4!
Special was ,that 1 chapter (30%) was written from Jacobs angle.the lexicon used there was also different to show more the situation from his eyes.

Dennis's Mom
29-11-10, 12:50
Which book should I start today?

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is utterly charming.

I just finished The Fall by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro.

cezy rockeru
29-11-10, 12:54
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt135/cezy_97/imagesqtbnANd9GcSlA1gpwlZo0iIS4aaEm.jpg
didn't finish it,but I have only 50 pages left:D
it's soo cool =)

Eddie Haskell
29-11-10, 12:56
I have a very large library, but most of mine is non-fiction. My wife is an avid reader as well, but she's the fiction buff.

The last book that I read was Liberalism At Wits End by Stephen Newman. And before that an interesting flea market find that I recommend for all, You, the Owners Manual by Michael F. Roizen M.D..

TombRaiderLover
29-11-10, 13:03
I recently finished:

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Touching From a Distance by Deborah Curtis
Torn Apart: The Life of Ian Curtis by Mick Middles and Lindsay Reade.

the_legend
29-11-10, 13:38
well i read all the twiligh books, and now im started tho read them in english( it was german before cause im in switzerland), another books were, romeo and julia in the village, the pysichists (is it caled like that?), something about minerals and now im reading emili galotti.

Shark_Blade
30-11-10, 13:10
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is utterly charming. Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't started on it yet, but from the synopsis it sounds like an interesting book. Gonna read it next after I finish reading "The Lost Symbol", which is almost half of the book by now.:D

Catapharact
30-11-10, 13:30
The last book that I read was Liberalism At Wits End by Stephen Newman. And before that an interesting flea market find that I recommend for all, You, the Owners Manual by Michael F. Roizen M.D..

A very good book.

Minty Mouth
04-12-10, 19:34
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qCGYp5rgL._SL500_.jpg

Biggest cop-out ending ever; Deus Ex Machina doesn't even begin to cover it. It just negates the point of the entire story, and pretty much undoes all of the work the author does building the plot. I am inclined to pretend it never happened, because if it would have ended differently it would have been a decent book. A brilliant concept, mediocrely executed, but a tear-jerker none the less, which I suppose was the point.

touchthesky
04-12-10, 21:05
Deathly Hallows.

Almost finished.

Dunno what I'll read next.

Natey168
06-12-10, 02:40
The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket. I'm re-reading the A Series of Unfortunate Events books and, wow, I forgot how much I love this series.

trlestew
06-12-10, 02:42
The End was so...depressing sort of.

Like I thought it would be a happy ending through 13 books, but I was wrong :o

Natey168
06-12-10, 03:05
The End was so...depressing sort of.

Like I thought it would be a happy ending through 13 books, but I was wrong :o
Man, I can barely remember The End. Or really any books past the first three, which is why I'm reading them again.

TRLegendLuver
06-12-10, 06:51
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_R9fGfcZ2kDA/SpQ8JVlHgwI/AAAAAAAAC0o/6x5C83yWa3Y/s400/shields+immortal.jpg
Immortal by Gillian Shields

This is a great book. Full of suspense, mystery, fear, romance, magic. It's so much fun to read and I'm about to get Betrayal, the next one in the series.

WillG
06-12-10, 09:44
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
It was great! Gettin the next (Son of a Witch) soon!

Would recommend it!

cezy rockeru
06-12-10, 13:35
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt135/cezy_97/imagesqtbnANd9GcQ1Xp7C3TqfFHvIZ5HAE.jpg

Your_Envy*
06-12-10, 14:09
Dan Brown - Digital Fortress

Not impressed. So predictable. It was nice to read while I was bored (no wonder I read it in 3 days :pi:). :p

Lara's Nemesis
06-12-10, 14:34

Not impressed. So predictable. It was nice to read while I was bored (no wonder I read it in 3 days :pi:). :p

3 days is quite a long time to read a Dan Brown novel. :p

Last thing I read was Frankie Boyle's autobiography which was funny in bits.

Your_Envy*
06-12-10, 16:08
I know, but I have Uni and other stuff, so I was pretty quick anyway. :p

robwolf666
06-12-10, 16:27
I've just started reading the Potter series... again.

Minty Mouth
06-12-10, 18:46
The Hours by Michael Cunningham

Still not 100% sure if it's a niftly little homage, or a poor man's Virginia Woolf. Regardless, I enjoyed it, and it was a decent enough book in its own right. Gotta respect the research and study that led to him being able to recreate her style so vividly.

ryan91
06-12-10, 18:55
a tangled web

Shark_Blade
06-12-10, 23:19
A Christmas Carol - by Charles Dickens

It's not only a Christmas story, it encapsulate life as a whole as well. ;)

Dream_Raider
09-12-10, 13:57

Least favourite Dan Brown book.

SPOILER!!!!

...Oh, the password was her name? I'd never have guessed.[/sarcasm]And I got to the isotopes of uranium thing before the roomful of "smart" people. I started to think I might be wrong when they started looking at atomic weights so much in detail, but the "prime" part convinced me. :p

cezy rockeru
10-12-10, 13:05
I've just started reading the Potter series... again.

you should get new books,once you read a book,especially a HP book,you'll get bored the next day:pi:

trlestew
14-12-10, 23:26
I need a good recommendation.
I'm mostly into realistic fiction, and maybe a bit of sci-fi\mystery\and adventure (Separate of course :p )

touchthesky
15-12-10, 09:37
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magicians Nephew.

Minty Mouth
15-12-10, 14:22
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

It dragged towards the second half. Least favourite Bronte book, but I can't say I'm not altogether surprised :p

Alive_and_Funky
15-12-10, 18:46
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

It dragged towards the second half. Least favourite Bronte book, but I can't say I'm not altogether surprised :p
No! No it didn't! :smk:

Janye Eyre <3

Aphrodite22
15-12-10, 18:49
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Brilliant. Saw the movie after reading it and its as good as the book.

King.Louie
15-12-10, 18:55
vampire academy: spirit bound.... best book ever :D

lance6439
15-12-10, 18:58
the uglies

SexyToaster
15-12-10, 19:05
Through Stone and Sea by J.C. and Barb Hendee

I really never get tired of the Noble Dead Saga books

Lara's Nemesis
15-12-10, 19:11
http://i53.************/2n8pnh5.jpg

Good story.

Minty Mouth
15-12-10, 19:15
No! No it didn't! :smk:

Janye Eyre <3

Yes. Yes it did :p

I don't get the fascination with this book. Its unrealistic, generically written, Jane is annoying, and none of the other characters make an impression despite their lengthy page-time. Perhaps it's because I'm not a woman :p

I, Tomb Raider
15-12-10, 23:58
So interesting and awesome! :tmb:

Minty Mouth
16-12-10, 16:36
Eve Green by Susan Fletcher.

A complete impulse read. I saw it on the library shelf and the spine attracted me. Started reading it there and then and didn't stop until 2AM when I had finished it. Guess that means it was pretty good!

CPETE
17-12-10, 21:02
I've read all but about 75 pages of The Hunger Games, but I can't bring myself to finish it because it's so awful. I have never rolled my eyes so much when reading a book before. This book is actually embarrassing.

amaris
17-12-10, 21:06
I'm rereading Maximum Ride: The final Warning

Marianna12
18-12-10, 09:09
James Dashner - The Maze Runner

http://www.ops.org/MIDDLE/LEWISANDCLARK/Portals/0/Gallery/Album/79/Maze%20Runner%20by%20James%20Dashner.jpg

I loved it, one of the best books I've read! So addicting!:cln:

And I just finished reading the first 3 Harry Potter books:p

TombRaiderLover
18-12-10, 16:35
I recently finished Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. I liked it, but I much preferred the film adaptation; it felt more cohesive and had a more satisfying ending.

I'm currently reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King.

Minty Mouth
18-12-10, 18:09
I've read all but about 75 pages of The Hunger Games, but I can't bring myself to finish it because it's so awful. I have never rolled my eyes so much when reading a book before. This book is actually embarrassing.

Please go into detail. :mis:

I am intrigued by the book, but I like to tear them apart, too.

trlestew
18-12-10, 18:11
Good thing you said that CPETE, I was actually about to read that one soon :/

Nemo_91
20-12-10, 21:26
Stephen King & Peter Straub: The Talisman

TombRaiderLover
23-12-10, 16:42
I just finished Lisey's Story by Stephen King. Brilliant! I've got his latest book Full Dark, No Stars for Christmas, so I imagine I'll begin reading it in a couple of days.

DgoOdz94
23-12-10, 16:47
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nuI6s0Gr0KY/S79zycLJCYI/AAAAAAAAAD8/IS61pv-T7K4/s1600/rainbow+boys.jpg

It was pretty good! Gonna buy the sequel! :p

Zelda master
25-12-10, 18:30
Harry Potter: The Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone, I'm going to read all the book, then watch all the movies to finish it off with the last movie... So I'll be in the Harry Potter mood the couple of month:p

rowanlim
26-12-10, 14:05
^That's a good way to evaluate & appreciate JK Rowling's work; my personal opinion is the movies weren't very good, but because I read the book first, I had to know how the film turned out :p

Then again, I should take my own advice regarding Chronicles of Narnia. I just watched the 3rd film & I'm reading the book for the first time today :whi:

BlueJ97
26-12-10, 14:07
Resident Evil Zero Hour :p

Your_Envy*
26-12-10, 14:26
Reading Chocolate right now (I didn't watch the movie), so far it's very good. :cln: I love Joanne Harris anyway. <3

http://www.shrani.si/f/2e/M4/DFeTZzW/cokolada-ljubezenski.jpg

tranniversary119
26-12-10, 18:28

Really? I thought it was a great book, then again I hated the first part of the book so maybe you'll like the second half like I did.

Currently reading The Hobbit!

Nerd For Life
26-12-10, 19:02
Death Note, volume 4.

WillG
29-12-10, 11:39
Just finished Darke Academy Book 2 currently reading Let the Right One In...bit freaky!

Catracoth
02-01-11, 03:13
When You Don't See Me - Timothy James Beck
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n51/n259762.jpg

Brilliant.

Mr GaGa
02-01-11, 03:17
http://zerners.com/Comics/Top-Cow/Witchblade/Witchblade-60-Endgame-2.jpg

I read it almost all of the time, and It was the latest book I read. The cover is just so.....Incredible :cln:
Never thought I'd see Lara so Vulnerable

knightgames
02-01-11, 07:31
AVID Media Composer Basics Guide. ver 4.0

AVID Media Composer Advanced EFFECTS EDITING. ver 4.0

Before that The RAMA series by Arthur C. Clarke.

cezy rockeru
02-01-11, 15:22
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestselling-sci-fi-fantasy-2006/3999-1.jpg

Ampersand
02-01-11, 16:35
The Lost World. Oddly paced in parts, but great fun and I enjoyed it a lot.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8476/27677273.jpg

Alive_and_Funky
03-01-11, 17:13
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. I've finally finished it! Now I can watch the movie. :D

Rai
05-01-11, 21:03
Second in a trilogy: Servant of the Empire, by Janny Wurts and Raymond E Feist.

It was good but the chapters are loong :p.

a_pok
06-01-11, 15:21
juat recently finished "The Silmarillian" by J. J. R. Tolkien. it was an awsom book!!!

searching for "Unfinished Tails of Numenor and Middle Earth", my friend says it has more interesting stuff than the silmarills...
can't wait to actually get it and start reading!

Minty Mouth
06-01-11, 21:32
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.
A pretty good one. Got a lot of praise, some far too grand for what it is, but nevertheless very compelling and improved greatly by the pretty surprising and powerfull ending. One of those books with very little dialogue that spans a lot of time in relatively few pages. Easy to absorb in a couple of sittings.

Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster.
A nice short little one. First Forster I've read, and even though it is particularly well written, was actually fairly boring, even considering its forgiving length. Suppose I'll reserve judgement on him until I've read some of his longer, more achieved books. I suppose that's what you get for actively seeking out something short :p

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.
Was really surprised by this one. I don't know exactly why, but I was expecting it to be pretty generic, but it's one of the most original and unique books I've ever read. Unquestionably compelling, really fun to read and makes you feel quite clever for figuring out the sort of quasi-new language. One of my favourites, now.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
First non-fiction I've read in ages. Pretty much just everything I've ever thought but actually with reasons that I was never knowledgeable enough to provide for myself. I'll never completely understand everything in this book, but it makes me feel like I can reasonably call myself an atheist.

And probably some more between now and my last post that I don't remember. Just always helps me to get my feelings about books down in words, I guess. Sometimes you don't realise exactly what you thought of a book until you sit down and try to churn it out.

touchthesky
06-01-11, 22:04
Insomnia by Stephen King.

It's my fifth re-read of this book. I love it <3.

Lara's Nemesis
06-01-11, 22:06
^
^

A Clockwork Orange is one of the best books I have ever read, as you say it does take a good few pages to get used to the lingo tho.:p

I just finished rereading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, another brilliant book and pretty different from the film.

Edit: I hate when you do that up arrow thing then it changes page.:hea::D

Rai
06-01-11, 22:30
Beastly, Alex Flinn. I liked this version of the classic tale :)

trlestew
06-01-11, 23:05
I'm mostly into realistic fiction, and maybe a bit of sci-fi\mystery\and adventure (Separate of course :p )

Since no one replied :o

Dennis's Mom
08-01-11, 14:09
I just finished "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke.

trlestew, how much sci-fi can you take? Do you have an interest in dystopia?

cezy rockeru
08-01-11, 14:16

I can recommend the last book I read, "Diamond dogs/Turquoise days"
Because it's fictional,sci-fi,a little mystery and adventure in the same book:D

xXhayleyroxXx
08-01-11, 15:32
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" for the tenth or so time.

Aranara
09-01-11, 08:46
"Girl with a Pearl Earring" by Tracy Chevalier.

I really like the painting by Vermeer, and when I saw it on that book cover, I knew I had to read it. xD

ShadyCroft
09-01-11, 09:15
http://www.readersread.com/pics/cover_the_lost_symbol.jpg

TRLegendLuver
09-01-11, 12:28
Beastly, Alex Flinn. I liked this version of the classic tale :)

Great choice! :tmb:

BrandonFlowers
09-01-11, 15:19
I read the lastest Oor Wullie annual, does that count?

Nothing beats it.

DgoOdz94
09-01-11, 17:27
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Lara's Nemesis
09-01-11, 17:32
I read the lastest Oor Wullie annual, does that count?

Nothing beats it.

Oor Wullie and The Broons are great, I used to get one of them every year for Christmas.

Shark_Blade
10-01-11, 10:58
These:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1429/30691358.jpg (http://img593.imageshack.us/i/30691358.jpg/)

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1184/sw2v.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/i/sw2v.jpg/)

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8704/2686.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/i/2686.jpg/)

oocladableeblah
21-01-11, 07:55
Werewolves: A Journal of Transformation

A Blairwitch style book that is like a journal of a girl who was turned into a werewolf.
It was such an amazing read really felt like I was reading an actual journal, and the artwork was phenomenal.

CerebralAssassin
21-01-11, 08:23
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/CerebralAssassin1983/ed9d368ae8ef_1392aedmm450x560.jpg

Nemo_91
29-01-11, 17:13
The Shack by William P. Young

Super Badnik
29-01-11, 18:38
I started re-reading Dracula for my Literature exam. But I only got up to something like page 76 before the exam though. I really liked it the first time, maybe more could have happened before Dracula gets hit throat slit but generally I felt it was a very well told story that kept me wanting to know what happened next. Obviously though this is all in retrospect since I haven't ever finished it for a second time. I never really feel like re-reading books unless its been a long time since the last read.

Stefy
29-01-11, 18:47
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, a 6 months ago and I don't have time to read the final book. =.=

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/EclipseCoverX.jpg

Your_Envy*
31-01-11, 09:57
http://www.shrani.si/f/3f/tA/1y2zdbdk/izgubljeni-simbol-1.jpg

Loved it. :D My Dan Brown books go like this:

1. The Da Vinci Code
2. Angels & Demons
3. The Lost Symbol
5. Digital Fortress (didn't like it :pi: )

Right now I am reading Deception Point, so far it's good, much better than Digital Fortress. :D

Laras Boyfr.
31-01-11, 10:24
http://www.shrani.si/f/3f/tA/1y2zdbdk/izgubljeni-simbol-1.jpg

Loved it. :D My Dan Brown books go like this:

1. The Da Vinci Code
2. Angels & Demons
3. The Lost Symbol
5. Digital Fortress (didn't like it :pi: )

Right now I am reading Deception Point, so far it's good, much better than Digital Fortress. :D

Good Choice ;)
I read The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and The Lost Symbol.

The last book I read was Eragon 3. It was fantastic :ccn:
Cant wait for the 4th and last one :jmp:

jjbennett
31-01-11, 10:37
http://www.bookgeeks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Chris-Kuzneski-The-Secret-Crown.jpg

So far really enjoying it, but what do you expect from one of my favourite authors?! The characters as ever are brilliant and it is actually funny as well :)

cezy rockeru
31-01-11, 10:39
My last one was The DaVinci Code also,I had to read it for school,but I enjoyed every page:jmp:

Minty Mouth
31-01-11, 14:57
My last one was The DaVinci Code also,I had to read it for school,but I enjoyed every page:jmp:

Your school is disgusting.

Lara Coft Baby
01-02-11, 01:50
The Reef By Nora Roberts

Ahhh such a good book!

King.Louie
01-02-11, 03:28
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/AshleyBuehler/books/lastsacrifice.jpg

This is one of the best Vampire book seris i have ever read plus they dont sparkle :pi:

Shark_Blade
01-02-11, 03:44
Star Wars Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace. It's so easy to read lol since I know the movie by heart.

Alpharaider47
01-02-11, 03:45
Haven't quite finished this one yet, but I'm reading through "Crescent Dawn" by Clive Cussler :D

touchthesky
01-02-11, 09:12
Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi: The Time Of Our Lives.

Quite why her name was on it I've no idea..he wrote the entire thing it seems :S

Your_Envy*
06-02-11, 21:28
All I am reading lately is Dan Brown. :pi:

http://www.shrani.si/f/1m/3D/2v0WkDYQ/mobile5cda8cddc7-d14c.jpg

In Slovene. Loved it. :cln:

Shark_Blade
06-02-11, 23:08
Percy Jackson : The Lightning Thief.

It was good. Now on to the sequel - Sea of Monsters.