PDA

View Full Version : Lara's Dress

TombFreak
08-12-07, 03:21
I seriously think the dress is way too exposing, the undies are showing ( and I think they tried to hide by making the dress and the undies black ), and the breasts are peeping out a little bit. It's demeaning to women!!

Shame shame on Crystal Dynamics! :smk::smk::smk:

I can't belive they did that!:ohn::ohn:

Ward Dragon
08-12-07, 03:26
I agree with you completely. The dress in some of the story-boards looked so much more beautiful and elegant, which is much closer to Lara's character because she knows how to be classy :D

Not to mention, the dress makes absolutely no sense in the final version of Legend because Lara isn't sneaking in anywhere. She's going to meet the bad guy with his full knowledge that she's coming, and she intends to start a fight so why doesn't she wear something practical?

(I really hope this thread doesn't devolve into insults and such like all of the previous ones on this topic :()

Vertigo
08-12-07, 03:30
Agree. This dress is crap. Breaked off dress? For what? Meh!

Necromanser
08-12-07, 03:45
I seriously think the dress is way too exposing, the undies are showing ( and I think they tried to hide by making the dress and the undies black ), and the breasts are peeping out a little bit. It's demeaning to women!!

THis proves that you were looking for her undies and breasts instead of playing the game.

Quasimodo
08-12-07, 03:48
I agree with you completely. The dress in some of the story-boards looked so much more beautiful and elegant, which is much closer to Lara's character because she knows how to be classy :D

Not to mention, the dress makes absolutely no sense in the final version of Legend because Lara isn't sneaking in anywhere. She's going to meet the bad guy with his full knowledge that she's coming, and she intends to start a fight so why doesn't she wear something practical?

(I really hope this thread doesn't devolve into insults and such like all of the previous ones on this topic :()

Do you have a link to the dress in the story-boards?

TombFreak
08-12-07, 03:51
THis proves that you were looking for her undies and breasts instead of playing the game.

I'm going to ignore that comment because I'm a Female.:p

biohazard1379
08-12-07, 03:59

lol :D

ChrisJ_938
08-12-07, 03:59
http://spectraljin.com/Tomb_Raider/Storyboards/Tokyo_intro.jpg :D

Ward Dragon
08-12-07, 04:03

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/Tokyodress.jpg

It's the Tokyo:Party storyboard :)

http://spectraljin.com/Tomb_Raider_Legend_Portfolio.htm

It's kind of hard to ignore her exposure when the cutscenes keep focusing on it :p

Vertigo
08-12-07, 04:04
In story-boards this dress so long (and the story different)....

Ward Dragon
08-12-07, 04:06
In story-boards this dress so long (and the story different)....

She was going to change into a catsuit before she picked a fight, so the dress length wouldn't have gotten in her way :)

ChrisJ_938
08-12-07, 04:08
^ beat u to that.............:D and yah this dress looks so much better looks like the TRC opera dress redux.

kryptonite23
08-12-07, 04:15
I agree,they should not over dress Lara. :)

Little-Lara
08-12-07, 04:23
I'm glad someone brought this up. While playing this game, it was weird watching another girl run around with ripped clothing. I saw no reason for that.

And to add to that, there are millions of evenings gowns out there. Lara should have left home a little more prepared for the eventuality of a combat. Just like she should leave home with more weapons than just a pair of pistols, but that's another issue.

I'm going to ignore that comment because I'm a Female.:p

:vlol:

rowanlim
08-12-07, 05:02
the boob exposure was too much in that dress... :(

that turtle necked dress was so elegant...so classy :tmb:

TombFreak
08-12-07, 05:30
the boob exposure was too much in that dress... :(

that turtle necked dress was so elegant...so classy :tmb:

Heck yeah the turtleneck dress was elegant! It kind of reminds of a dress in the sims.:D

kryptonite23
08-12-07, 07:47
Heck yeah the turtleneck dress was elegant! It kind of reminds of a dress in the sims.:D
The turtle neck thingy makes the dress beautiful :tmb:

Drone
08-12-07, 07:56
I don't have anything against her dress :D

zipper
08-12-07, 07:56
wow! :yik: it looks realy awesome!! nice find! :)

kryptonite23
08-12-07, 07:57
I don't have anything against her dress :D

Too much exposure of her body. :mis:

Drone
08-12-07, 08:05
not more than her legendary shorts :D

Legend 4ever
08-12-07, 08:19
The dress was perfect.

Rexie
08-12-07, 09:05
The dress was perfect.

agreed

Angel_14
08-12-07, 09:16
I totally. agree with the topic starter and Ward Wragon. That dress was the least classy and least elegant piece 'clothe' I've seen in TR. It was so out of character that it hurt my eyes, plus the breasts supported by invisible bras were ridiculous. I wouldn't wear it unless if I lost all my common sense.
And if we're at common sense, what purpose did the dress have? It didn't have any sense in the level. The dress in TR5 had more class.

Betal
08-12-07, 15:45
The dress was perfect.

If you mean the ingame dress and not the story board dress then I agree.:tmb:

george_croft
08-12-07, 15:58
The dress from the storyboard is elegant, but not fashionable at the time legend was released.

IMO the dress she wore in Japan was perfect. That's the kind of dress you'd wear at a cocktail party, its little, black and sexy. And I do not mind the cleavage, as its, as i've put it several times before on this board: Just boobs.:rolleyes:

She looked stunning in that level, btw:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/george_ganno/trl2007-04-1914-42-13-34-1.jpg

Its not the first time we've seen Lara's boobs, and probably not the last time either. So get used to them.:rolleyes:

TombFreak
08-12-07, 16:04
How would you feel if you were a woman and they made a game about you and gave a tiny ddress that has your breasts practicly popping out! I mean think about it, a little more cleavage and you can see her whole breast!! :hea::hea::smk::smk:

Ilie_Fusarau
08-12-07, 16:06
How would you feel if you were a woman and they made a game about you and gave a tiny ddress that has your breasts practicly popping out! I mean think about it, a little more cleavage and you can see her whole breast!! :hea::hea::smk::smk:

Errrmm ... Lara is not real so ... your point ? .. and Lara always was and will be a sex symbol

jeremyANDROGYNY
08-12-07, 16:07
How would you feel if you were a woman and they made a game about you and gave a tiny ddress that has your breasts practicly popping out! I mean think about it, a little more cleavage and you can see her whole breast!! :hea::hea::smk::smk:It's one level. We've seen Lara with much less than that on before. It's not like she's wearing that dress the whole game.

James_Rutland
08-12-07, 16:26
Errrmm ... Lara is not real so ... your point ? .. and Lara always was and will be a sex symbol

Agreed. :rolleyes: Get over it, shes not real.

I bet you freaked watching the Movie Shower scene of TR.

zipper
08-12-07, 16:29
:confused: she´s not?

:(:(:(

george_croft
08-12-07, 16:29

First of all, Lara isn't a woman, she's a CG animated character. And believe me they could of made it a lot worse, and they could of had a cleavage on the standard outfit. Just like Core did with TR4-5, her boobs were practically defying gravity. But no one seams to remember that, they'd rather ***** about the dress she had on for 12 minutes.....:rolleyes:

I'm just happy they don't do what other companies do, example: the DOA series, where they portray women as big breasted karate bimbos.

James_Rutland
08-12-07, 16:33

:vlol:!!

SparkleCroft07
08-12-07, 16:39

Lol! :D

The dress was ok, but I agree that it was abit weird to wear when she was gonna go fight and practically destroy the bar. :p

Baslakor
08-12-07, 16:47
It was a gorgieus dress. Yes it's sexy, but Lara is just the most sexy collection of pixels I've ever seen. I don't see why someone could ever be offended by it (people tend to get offended quite easily.. It's a game people!)

Or do you rather prefer a fat hairy woman in an eskimo-costume?

And second: Even if you plan to disturb a exclusive party and kill a lot of bad guys, you still go in style. Lara knows that.

mizuno_suisei
08-12-07, 16:56
I bet you freaked watching the Movie Shower scene of TR.

SNAP!

I think the dress was fine! And I dont really see anything sexual about it, as someone said, it's how you would dress to go to a business party.

If you're really that offended by it, Write to Crystal Dynamics/Eidos and ask for your money back :)

Angel_14
08-12-07, 17:04
SNAP!

I think the dress was fine! And I dont really see anything sexual about it, as someone said, it's how you would dress to go to a business party.

Eh, no, I would dress like this:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/Adrienn_Steel/2416674597do3.jpg
:p
And that's a cocktail dress.

And anyway, world is not black and white, good and bad, sexy and old-fashioned. There IS a way to look sexy without revealing your assets. Lara looks enough sexy when she's wearing her winter-no jacket outfit in Legend, putting her into a dress that shows off her lacy panties and 3/4 of her breasts is just a show-off, imo.

Lior_K
08-12-07, 17:08

I totally. agree with the topic starter and Ward Wragon. That dress was the least classy and least elegant piece 'clothe' I've seen in TR. It was so out of character that it hurt my eyes, plus the breasts supported by invisible bras were ridiculous. I wouldn't wear it unless if I lost all my common sense.
And if we're at common sense, what purpose did the dress have? It didn't have any sense in the level. The dress in TR5 had more class.

Nice said, WD and Angel.

I agree, this dress is impractical and totally out of character for Lara. If they went with the storyboard dress and catsuit it would've been a lot better.

But then again, how else can Crystal and Eidos appeal to the never-ending horny teenage crowed if not with cheap dresses and bikinis. :rolleyes:

SparkleCroft07
08-12-07, 17:10
Eh, no, I would dress like this:
:p
And that's a cocktail dress.

And anyway, world is not black and white, good and bad, sexy and old-fashioned. There IS a way to look sexy without revealing your assets. Lara looks enough sexy when she's wearing her winter-no jacket outfit in Legend, putting her into a dress that shows off her lacy panties and 3/4 of her breasts is just a show-off, imo.

Agreed :)

larson n natla
08-12-07, 17:51

it was supposed to show laras resorsfulness and to shock people into beleiving that lara was kick a** after all her quick thinking meant that she remebered to remove her shoes ( :p ) and tear her dress ( :( what a waste of 500000000000000 pounds and that puppy)

pEhouse
08-12-07, 18:52
I am a female and I actually liked playing in that dress. I mean, you couldn't really see anything, and in times where "celebrities" don't feel the need to wear underwear, what is a little animated cleavage... ;)

But now, seeing the dress from the storyboard.. it is absolutely gorgeous. I love turtleneck dresses / tops like that. I wonder what made them change the dress..

MaskedRaider
08-12-07, 19:29
I prefer the story of the storyboards, but the dress looks a little as if it would be uncomfortable, with that clingy neck... but having never worn a dress, I wouldn't know ;)

ChrisJ_938
08-12-07, 19:31
bet it was toby..........he didnt like lara being a sex symbol. so he abandons her for a number of years, comes back, and wut does he do? agree wih making lara with exposing dresses, and BIKINIS. wierd eh?:ton:

Let Go
08-12-07, 19:39
I wasn't offended by the dress, but I admit I felt a little embarrassed (like when you feel embarrassment for other people, you know ?) when I first saw her on it, at the very intro of the game before the main menu appears - "featuring Lara Crof". I immediately thought : "Ugh, here they are exploiting her boobs again for the male players to enjoy " :rolleyes:

In fact, the dress is somewhat tacky. I wouldn't wear it. But in-game, maybe exactly for being such an impractical attire, I guess that it fits Lara personality 'cause it kind of empowers her. As "she can beat the crap out of dozens thugs, climb up buildings and neon signs and escape on a chopper on high heels" - even though she takes them off first thing :tea:

Maybe a little show-off for sure, but Lara isn't afraid of being sexy, so to speak.
Despite my particularly concept that a catsuit, for instance, is far more sexy than that dress exactly for what it hides instead of reveals. Just think of Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry as the Catwoman as an illustration. The latter for me is merely vulgar, while the former is sexy. ;)

Encore
08-12-07, 19:42
I liked the storyboard dress so much more.. It's not an issue about the cleavage or whatever, it's just that I don't imagine Lara Croft being that "excessive" on high class parties, hence I imagine her with a more classy and confortable dress. Heck, they could also have got the inspiration from Angelina Jolie's dressing style since she has a lot of class too.. But oh well.

trXD
08-12-07, 19:46
hey if shes got it she should show it

jk

I do think that dress took it a bit to far...

Catlantean
08-12-07, 20:20
Does the dress look good on Lara? Yes. Is it something you'd put on if you knew you were going to end up leaping from rooftop to rooftop? Hell no. A runaway boob would smack Lara in the face on the first jump :D
I admit that for my personal sense of aesthetics, that dress is indeed tacky, but if Lara had only worn it on promo renders, I wouldn't mind at all. It's just that in the game, it made her seem more concerned about flaunting her good looks than wearing what would be practical for raiding...which is about as unlike Lara as it can get, especially when there are alternatives that are both sexy and functional.

tomblover
08-12-07, 20:23
I agree with Catlantean on some parts.

Legend Lara seemed comfortable with the dressup anyway. :) And IMO it seemed practical enough. :)

(Running around with lace knickers was a bit much, though.)

Rivendell
08-12-07, 20:26
Is it something you'd put on if you knew you were going to end up leaping from rooftop to rooftop? Hell no. A runaway boob would smack Lara in the face on the first jump :D

:vlol: That would make such a good cartoon! :vlol:

da tomb raider!
08-12-07, 22:39
I hated that dress. It's the worst outfit I've seen in a Tomb Raider game so far. Not only did it look terrible, but it also didn't suit Lara at all in my opinion. It didn't look elegant or classy. It just looked crap. And Lara's breasts seemed to be supported by nothing, too. It's appauling, a real insult to the series.

Tomb Raider Master
08-12-07, 22:43
I'm no fashion expert to give any detailed comments, but from a guy's perspective the dress was great, and a nice original addition to the game (along with all the things that happened with it).

Inkheart
08-12-07, 22:59
I've said it before and I'll say it again - it was only a dress. I've seen posts of people complaining that the dress ruined the entire level for them. And why has political correctness gone so mad that a girl can't dress up anymore?

OK, so the dress isn't a reflection of pre-crystal Lara personality. But we have to give Crystal time to get it right. Which I'm sure they will. Eventually. Look at Anniversary. Check out the infinite improvement over Legend.

TombFreak
08-12-07, 22:59
I hated that dress. It's the worst outfit I've seen in a Tomb Raider game so far. Not only did it look terrible, but it also didn't suit Lara at all in my opinion. It didn't look elegant or classy. It just looked crap. And Lara's breasts seemed to be supported by nothing, too. It's appauling, a real insult to the series.

( Satisfied ) Thank You!

Betal
08-12-07, 23:04

You sound like a real... Damn I can't find the English word for it.

dolt??
dork?
nerd??

Ok I just say the Swedish word. you sounds like a real tönt.

Lior_K
08-12-07, 23:11
You sound like a real... Damn I can't find the English word for it.

dolt??
dork?
nerd??

Ok I just say the Swedish word. you sounds like a real tönt.

I don't get it. Why do you attack the guy? Did he call you names? Insult you? NO. He just expressed his opinion.

Betal
08-12-07, 23:14
I don't get it. Why do you attack the guy? Did he call you names? Insult you? NO. He just expressed his opinion.

That's why I said it in Swedish. the translator give me these 3 words. And it's not exactly what I mean. I guess the word I mean doesn't exist in English.

Tönt isn't a insulting word.

Laras Backpack
08-12-07, 23:15
^But dolt, dork and nerd are insulting. Either way you're being personal and I'm sure that's against the T&C here.

As for the dress: I don't hate it but I certainly don't like it either. I've seen real women wear dresses like that (including Anjelina Jolie) and most looked great. However, with Legend Lara's animation style the dress looked cheap and tacky. It's not just her breasts, it's the whole design of the dress IMO. CD had a vast scope of dress designs out there to choose from and this is the one the designers chose? At least the Chronicles dress and the dresses from Core's art work and renders were a interesting in their design and had a sophisticated air about them (the ones that I've seen anyway). I just thought the dress was tacky and lacking in imagination.

I also didn't find it sexy. Sure I'm a heterosexual female but I can still appreciate beauty in women. The dress didn't leave enough to the imagination and I prefer the sophisticated kind of sexiness. There's an old saying 'a leg clad in a silk stocking is sexier than the bare leg'. It basically means that leaving a bit to the imagination is often (though not always) the best option to display sex appeal and that's the way I personally feel about it.

:wve:

Betal
08-12-07, 23:17
But dolt, dork and nerd are insulting. Either way you're being personal and I'm sure that's against the T&C here.

As I said. When I searched on a translator on tönt I got dolt, dork and nerd. That's why I said it in Swedish. Cause I didn't mean in a insulting way.

There's two words that are almost the same in Sweidsh. tönt and nörd. They aren't insulting. there's just not a word in English of what I mean.

Tomb Raider Master
08-12-07, 23:17
Indeed that could be insulting, Betal. Let's move on with the topic; I'll delete any further off-topic posts. Thank you. :wve:

Quasimodo
09-12-07, 01:35
http://spectraljin.com/Tomb_Raider/Storyboards/Tokyo_intro.jpg :D

Thanks for the link :D would've been interesting to have seen that dress and that scene in-game. Looks like CD really simplified the scene in the final game.

Twilight
09-12-07, 08:22
the dress was suited for a prostitute, not Lara Croft. it's possible to look sexy without being half-naked. the one in the story board looked like something she would wear.

Shark_Blade
09-12-07, 08:46
The dress makes her look like a slut. Plain and simple.
She should meet Janice in Aod and be BFF.
But I have a love/hate opinion on the dress. Sometimes it's good to look at, but other times, I feel Lara Croft should not wear a piece that is so incensible like that.

NightWish
09-12-07, 10:51
I bet Janice would liek the dress :whi:

Atrum Angelus
09-12-07, 11:42
I didn't like it either. When I saw the render where you can see Lara standing from the side, I was like: "Where's the dress?" :D

Ward Dragon
09-12-07, 11:59

No way. She'd get really angry that Lara was taking all of her business :p Unless you meant that Janice would like to wear the dress herself, in which case you're right :p

Lara Croft Fan Joe
09-12-07, 12:29
She looked fine from behind...but when you spun her round and saw the bulletproof, gravity defying tennis ball boobs it kinda ruined it :p

george_croft
09-12-07, 12:52
I'm really surprised over the fact that many of you don't seam to know that dresses of that type are fashionable and considered elegant these days. Seriously, take a look around and you'll find plenty of women with similar dresses who are not "prostitutes".

I'd actually find it quite offensive if i was a woman, and people would refer to cleavage as "slutty" or "suit for a prostitute". Breast are a part of the human body, sin is an illusion, we're living in the year of 2007 folks.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/george_ganno/vanity_fair_party_hq_ns1.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/george_ganno/alyssa-milano-picture-1.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/george_ganno/oscars04002.jpg

The dress isn't demeaning to women, the fact that people call anyone who wear something with a cleavage a slut is demeaning to women.:rolleyes:

Anubis_AF
09-12-07, 13:28
Ouch! :D

I like the dress pretty. I don't find it slutty nor too revealing.

TombFreak
09-12-07, 16:42
I don't hate the dress whole. The front and back are okay, it's just when you die and see the loading screen; thats what ticks me off!:(

myrmaad
09-12-07, 17:17
I'm really surprised over the fact that many of you don't seam to know that dresses of that type are fashionable and considered elegant these days. Seriously, take a look around and you'll find plenty of women with similar dresses who are not "prostitutes".

I'd actually find it quite offensive if i was a woman, and people would refer to cleavage as "slutty" or "suit for a prostitute". Breast are a part of the human body, sin is an illusion, we're living in the year of 2007 folks.

The dress isn't demeaning to women, the fact that people call anyone who wear something with a cleavage a slut is demeaning to women.:rolleyes:

:tmb:

MoonSword
09-12-07, 17:19
Ouch! :D

I like the dress pretty. I don't find it slutty nor too revealing.

Agree. When I saw it at first, I considered they went far, but not over the border IMO. Well, I can imagine it's all a matter of personal perception, isn't it?

DMC
09-12-07, 17:56
I don't think the dress is slutty at all.

I think it suits her.

P.S Alyssa Milano is so beautiful :D

Betal
09-12-07, 18:17

Agreed.:tmb:

Minty Mouth
09-12-07, 18:26
I dont think there is anything wrong with the dres either. Its nice, pretty and looks good on her.

Plus a little cleavage here and there is always good in my book. If you find the dress that disturbing or offensive you could do with some ...help shall we say ;)

danitiwa
09-12-07, 18:30
I don't like it either, I don't think that Classic Lara would wear such a dress, she's an aristocratic Lady, so she probably wouldn't have been brought up to wear dresses that reach down to your butthole. :p I just have a thing against it in general.

Sara Croft
09-12-07, 18:33

Some people just bashes everything that has to do with Legend. Its not the fact that its bad, its just because Legend Lara uses them. :p
Before, when I was a legend hater, I did the exact same thing.

danitiwa
09-12-07, 18:37
Some people just bashes everything that has to do with Legend. Its not the fact that its bad, its just because Legend Lara uses them. :p
Before, when I was a legend hater, I did the exact same thing.

You've got a point. :vlol: (And I'm admitting this AS a legend hater.)

TrKing_Rulz
09-12-07, 20:01
It's so sexist!
An when I say that at school, when boys are making girls feel bad by whistling at them, they don't even know what it means!

But still, they never learn, even when the girls remark that this is the reason why they get no dates...:whi:

buckykentucky
09-12-07, 22:03
I don't think there is anything wrong with the dress. I think its very elegant and fashionable. Lara ripped the dress because she had too. She couldn't jump from scaffoldings with the bottom of the dress around he legs, nor could she run. Would you rather have seen her pop up from behind the bar with her Legend outfit on?

Twilight
09-12-07, 22:10
I don't think there is anything wrong with the dress. I think its very elegant and fashionable. Lara ripped the dress because she had too. She couldn't jump from scaffoldings with the bottom of the dress around he legs, nor could she run. Would you rather have seen her pop up from behind the bar with her Legend outfit on?

she knew she was going to have to fight, she brought guns. why wasn't her attire suitable?

buckykentucky
09-12-07, 22:11
she was going to a cocktail party, she couldnt go in booty short and a cropped shirt.

Sara Croft
09-12-07, 22:12
she knew she was going to have to fight, she brought guns. why wasn't her attire suitable?
Because its a game, and before all this Legend hate started, im sure Lara wearing a dress in game was something people was looking forward too.

Twilight
09-12-07, 22:23
Because its a game, and before all this Legend hate started, im sure Lara wearing a dress in game was something people was looking forward too.

it's a game, but the character in the game has more meaning when they suit the personality they were given- consistency.

lara wore a dress in TR5. and we had a TR2 render of a dress that didnt make her look like she was desperate.

http://i.laracroft.tv/images/tr2/tr2-012.jpg

and another
http://i.laracroft.tv/images/tr2/tr2-025.jpg

buckykentucky
09-12-07, 22:36
CD didnt want to put her in a long, flowly dress.

Betal
09-12-07, 22:40

So she could come to a party with her legend clothes?

jeremyANDROGYNY
09-12-07, 22:50
Lara was trying her hardest to fit in with the society of people at the party so she wouldn't be suspected for anything. All of the female guests were wearing dresses and Lara knew she would be fighting, why did she have her backpack like a purse at first. I can't believe we're arguing over a dress. :p

buckykentucky
09-12-07, 22:55
Lara was trying her hardest to fit in with the society of people at the party so she wouldn't be suspected for anything. All of the female guests were wearing dresses and Lara knew she would be fighting, why did she have her backpack like a purse at first. I can't believe we're arguing over a dress. :p

thank you!!

thecentaur
09-12-07, 22:59
I bet all of you thought that this dress was hot before this thread was posted. :ton:

jeremyANDROGYNY
09-12-07, 23:01
I thought Lara looked great in the dress and we've seen her in less.

BlackIsle
09-12-07, 23:02
I liked the dress though there was a lot of cleavage and it just wasn't practical at all.

buckykentucky
09-12-07, 23:05
i thought Lara looked great in the dress, and i still do.

Tomb Raider Master
09-12-07, 23:32
she knew she was going to have to fight, she brought guns.
I think those guns were just in case. And in the end she indeed had to use them, but I'm personally happy that I played in ripped dress than in the regular Legend outfit with the dress being thrown somewhere behind the bar.

Lior_K
09-12-07, 23:38

George, I agree that the dress, by itself isn't offensive. But while this type of dresses work for "busty" Hollywood actresses who want to show off on the red carpet - in Lara's case it's very unpractical (since she knew it would resolve in violence and/or break-in) and also unsuiting the character because she's not a type to show off (which ironically she tells Zip later on in Kazakhstan while driving the bike).

Tomb Raider 5194
09-12-07, 23:45
From my perspective I think the dress was totally necessary, after all she was trying to blend in with the other ones in the party. If she wanted to be the center of attention she would go on her Legend outift. :p Also I think it was more suited for the party than the long one that looks like the one from TRC, that is depending on how was the Tokyo part written before.

Lior_K
09-12-07, 23:52
From my perspective I think the dress was totally necessary, after all she was trying to blend in with the other ones in the party. If she wanted to be the center of attention she would go on her Legend outift. :p Also I think it was more suited for the party than the long one that looks like the one from TRC, that is depending on how was the Tokyo part written before.

There are other alternatives besides Legend outfit and the dress. Also, in the original storyboards, Lara retreats to the elevator changes into a cutsuit while the elevator goes to the roof.

A cutsuit is a lot more practical than running around in a ripped dress and flashing the mercenaries with her lingerie.

Tomb Raider 5194
10-12-07, 00:02
There are other alternatives besides Legend outfit and the dress. Also, in the original storyboards, Lara retreats to the elevator changes into a cutsuit while the elevator goes to the roof.

A cutsuit is a lot more practical than running around in a ripped dress and flashing the mercenaries with her lingerie.
But remember the circumstances Lara was on, she was attacked so she ripped her dress. So I think it all changed when the story was changed.

GodOfLight
10-12-07, 00:11
and also unsuiting the character because she's not a type to show off

and it was also toby gard who said he would never imagine lara to get into "maxim style poses"... so why he put her in this dress is a mystery to me.

Twilight
10-12-07, 00:11
So she could come to a party with her legend clothes?

she shouldve gone to it with a suitable dress. like the TR5 opera one. it was suited for the occasion, didnt make her look desperate, and had a slit in it so she could move without ripping it.

Yuna´s Wish
10-12-07, 00:14
If she wanted to be the center of attention she would go on her Legend outift

:vlol: Definitely. I agree with you :tmb: The dress was necessary. She couldn´t have gone with a catsuit...her enemies would have been suspicious of such an outfit for a party. A dress was quite unexpected and the guys´ minds were focused on her body instead of on her guns. That´s strategy.

buckykentucky
10-12-07, 00:23
she shouldve gone to it with a suitable dress. like the TR5 opera one. it was suited for the occasion, didnt make her look desperate, and had a slit in it so she could move without ripping it.

but she wasnt going to an opera, she was going to a cocktail party. The black dress was very fashionable, but tight. Also, I thought she was just going to get information form that guy, i forget his name. The guy in the office. But anyway, she wasnt expecting an attack, she had to rip it.

Twilight
10-12-07, 00:29
but she wasnt going to an opera, she was going to a cocktail party. The black dress was very fashionable, but tight. Also, I thought she was just going to get information form that guy, i forget his name. The guy in the office. But anyway, she wasnt expecting an attack, she had to rip it.

there are plenty cocktail dresses that are more modest than what she wore, and easier to manuver in. the guests had better dresses than her.
she was expecting some hostility, she brought guns. and she wanted the sword tip, she knew takamoto stole it. he's just going to give it to her without a fight?

buckykentucky
10-12-07, 00:45
maybe that's all she had to wear :D

Lior_K
10-12-07, 00:49
But remember the circumstances Lara was on, she was attacked so she ripped her dress. So I think it all changed when the story was changed.

What circumstances? She knew there is a huge chance of attack on her at the party, so what's the logic behind wearing a dress with such a long cleavage or tight dress?

Again, this is something a normal person would think about but problem is, the developers clearly didn’t.

buckykentucky
10-12-07, 00:54
Does Lara Croft need a reason? No matter what she waas wearing, she would still get the bad guy.

Twilight
10-12-07, 01:14
Does Lara Croft need a reason? No matter what she waas wearing, she would still get the bad guy.

she's the bad guy also. she steal's from tombs and kills for her own interest. she's more like an anti-hero.

buckykentucky
10-12-07, 01:15
yes, but im pretty sure she's saved the world before.

Khrys
10-12-07, 01:15
Again, I state my feelings on this outfit.

There is nothing wrong with the dress, as a dress, except the weird gathered back thing it had going, which was unattractive.

What WAS wrong with the dress is that Lara purposefully suited up in it, knowing, KNOWING she would get into conflict with the goons.

Now, I do not have breasts, so I cannot actively speak on how uncomfortable it would be to move about in a dress like that with no support while walking, let alone while running, swinging through the air and slamming into ledges chest first. The last part, alone, would have been enough to pop her out of the dress, no matter what sort of adhesive she used.

There were classier ways to blend in. If you look at the party, all the women are dressed Western style. How much classier, and sexy, would Lara have been to step into the room in a demure kimono? She would have stood out as elegant in a room full of poseurs. Instead, we have Lara competing to have the most cleavage shown. And if you look at the other women in the party, none of them are wearing dresses along the lines of Lara's. All of them seem to be wearing breezy, cute dresses suited for American girls around 20. In a scene where Lara should have looked sophisticated, she looked kinda... unpleasant. A kimono would have been far more practical, simply for the fact that Lara could wear anything beneath it, and shuck it with a simple unlacing of her obi and suddenly she's standing there in an ass kicking outfit with her guns strapped to her thighs.

I understand why CD did it, mind you. Right now, it's very 'in' for superheroines, which Lara is on some level, to run around in street clothes. It's not that I disagree with Lara wearing a dress, ever. It's that I disagree with the way she was presented IN that dress. No gravity, her hair one big lump... It wasn't attractive or interesting to me. Granted, the female form holds no interest to mine eyes, but that dress was NOT classy. My personal choice would have been the kimono.

In case folks haven't seen it, here's about what the dress would look like on a more realistic female figure. Not attractive.

http://pretty3d.com/products/hi_fantasy/thunter_ex/start.jpg

*sighs* I want the set just because it's got the rest of her gear, but I really don't want that DRESS...

buckykentucky
10-12-07, 01:17
thats a really good idead :D

Tomb Raider 5194
10-12-07, 01:18
What circumstances? She knew there is a huge chance of attack on her at the party, so what's the logic behind wearing a dress with such a long cleavage or tight dress?

Again, this is something a normal person would think about but problem is, the developers clearly didn’t.
I can see your point but having a large cleavage or a tight outift doesn't change anything, I mean she always uses sort of tight outfits, plus maybe the dress is comfortable to her. :p

Let Go
10-12-07, 02:42
Wow, the discussion is still hot around this...
At first I didn't like it much either.
But from the perspective that Lara (even knowing what she was up to with
Takamoto) chose such an impractical outfit, it somehow empowered her IMO
Was a daring attitude, she was teasing Takamoto - not on a sexual manner
despite the cleavage- showing that she didn't consider him, some Yakuza guy, such a menace at all:
"Look what I can do, I'll kick your ass even dressed like this!". :mis:

A kimono would be awesome though!
Much better and fitting for sure... :tmb:
But then the whole style of the party would've also had to be a lot different.
It should be a more traditional one, not a mere cocktail business party..
And if was to be really tradicional, with all those great and beautiful obis, Lara could even go with the catsuit beneath it and nobody would notice!
The problem would be taking it off quickly enough... :vlol:

Khrys
10-12-07, 05:29
Wouldn't need to change the tone of the party in the least. Consider:

Everyone at this party is presented as being Japanese. In Japan, Western fashion is very popular. In the West, however, Asian style garments and Asian 'inspired' clothing has taken on popularity. It would have been a striking contrast, and a very fun one, at that. Everyone else dressed like tarted up Americans, and in comes Lara in an elegant kimono. It'd be a dramatic contrast, from an artistic point of view. A British woman in traditional Japanese clothing, looking elegant and womanly in her beauty, and all the Japanese women dressed up like Brits and Americans, looking like a bunch of pre-teens! Imagine how irate her foes would have been, then!

As for removing it quickly... It'd be quicker to shed a kimono than it would be to open your purse, pull out the strips of fabric to strap your guns on, rip your skirt and shuck your shoes. It's simply a matter of untying the obi and shedding the kimono like a bath robe, unless she's wearing several layers, instead of just one, with lower layers merely faked in by stitching fabric to make it look like there were more, which is a common trick in costuming. In short, she could have gone in wearing her needed garments and never had to rip up a skirt like that.

Tear
10-12-07, 05:48
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/Tokyodress.jpg

It's the Tokyo:Party storyboard :)

http://spectraljin.com/Tomb_Raider_Legend_Portfolio.htm

It's kind of hard to ignore her exposure when the cutscenes keep focusing on it :p

I love that picture.:gki: It definately should have been used as her final costume, not that cut-off crap Lara would never wear..

george_croft
10-12-07, 08:43
George, I agree that the dress, by itself isn't offensive. But while this type of dresses work for "busty" Hollywood actresses who want to show off on the red carpet - in Lara's case it's very unpractical (since she knew it would resolve in violence and/or break-in) and also unsuiting the character because she's not a type to show off (which ironically she tells Zip later on in Kazakhstan while driving the bike).

I do get what you mean. Although If Lara wasn't the one to show off, she wouldn't be wearing skin tight leotards that leave none of her curves to the imagination when raiding tombs, neither would she wear hotpants in the snow. Now that's impractical.

I'm glad you understand my point of view though, because people tend to focus all the hate and bashing towards the dress itself.

Lior_K
10-12-07, 10:18
I do get what you mean. Although If Lara wasn't the one to show off, she wouldn't be wearing skin tight leotards that leave none of her curves to the imagination when raiding tombs, neither would she wear hotpants in the snow. Now that's impractical.

I'm glad you understand my point of view though, because people tend to focus all the hate and bashing towards the dress itself.

Well, leotards are quiet practical since she tends to get in contact with water in most of the areas she goes to. And overall, she's not really has people to show off to at those hidden locations.

In TR2 she remained in her shorts simple because she didn't have time to pickup warm clothes, other than a jacket she found in the airplane (while in later games she was suited very nicely in Antarctica and the Russian Base). However, TRA, was quiet miscalculated by Crystal because she didn't even wear that poncho, yet I'm sure she had plenty of time to pick up something while getting to Peru from India (while she clearly made a stop to hire a guide).

Laras Backpack
10-12-07, 10:38
There were classier ways to blend in. If you look at the party, all the women are dressed Western style. How much classier, and sexy, would Lara have been to step into the room in a demure kimono? She would have stood out as elegant in a room full of poseurs. Instead, we have Lara competing to have the most cleavage shown. And if you look at the other women in the party, none of them are wearing dresses along the lines of Lara's. All of them seem to be wearing breezy, cute dresses suited for American girls around 20. In a scene where Lara should have looked sophisticated, she looked kinda... unpleasant. A kimono would have been far more practical, simply for the fact that Lara could wear anything beneath it, and shuck it with a simple unlacing of her obi and suddenly she's standing there in an ass kicking outfit with her guns strapped to her thighs.

I agree with you so very, very much! :tmb: I have no real problem with the cleavage or the slits that show her legs. But the dress itself, in my opinion, did not show the level of taste and class I'd expect from Lara. A kimono would have been amazing! It would have stood out, as you said, in a sophisticated manner and would have been better suited for both the location and the mission itself. Part of Tomb Raider is learning about other cultures and traveling to other countries. Though the older games didn't do it much as far as I remember, having Lara occasionally wearing clothes from the region she was visiting (where practical!) would be so much better than ramming home the Westernised, Hollywood-style atmosphere that Legend has for most of its run. It would have been heart stopping to show Lara embracing Japanese culture just a little in this way and would have been a nice way to develop TR's style IMO.

ETA: Another thing that annoyed me a little with the pre-ripped Legend dress was Lara's hair. Because most developers still find animating long and loose hair (especially in-game) to be difficult, Lara's hair in Legend during the short Japan party section moves like a carpet. It's only a short section but for a game that places much of its worth on its graphics it's a bit of a shame. I think Lara should have had her hair up (this would have looked geat with the kimono). This would require less animation than a braid or ponytail. Then it would take nothing more than tugging out a few hairpins for her hair to fall into a pre-made ponytail.

Doby
10-12-07, 12:06

I agree. I am not trying to be mean to you people complaining about Lara's dress, but get over it. It is just a dress. No need to complain about something simple. :D

Oh and if the dress is so revealing, then why don't any of you complain about the Legend outfit?

Laras Backpack
10-12-07, 12:16
I agree. I am not trying to be mean to you people complaining about Lara's dress, but get over it. It is just a dress. No need to complain about something simple. :D
*sigh* I wasn't going to do this but I can't hold back anymore.
This is an internet discussion forum and if people want to pick appart any aspect of the game franchise then that's up to them. I'm not having a go at you in particular (:)) but no one here (except the mods) has the right to tell other members to 'get over it' and stop discussing certain topics. I know that you're not trying to be mean but I find your comment (and ones like it) to be patronising. There are plenty of threads in this forum that I personally find to be irrelevant but that's just my opinion and if I don't want to read a discussion about something or if I think it's not worth thinking over then you know what I do? I just don't click on it!

Oh and if the dress is so revealing, then why don't any of you complain about the Legend outfit?
The Legend outfit doesn't show one half of each of Lara's boobs or her panties. Most people who've posted I'm sure aren't afraid of a bit of cleavage, it's just that the over all style of the dress isn't something that some of us think suits Lara. Her clothing choices are part of her characterisation. The clothes maketh the woman.

myrmaad
10-12-07, 12:27
I disagree. I think most people who are posting on this thread are terrified of both breasts, and human sexuality. It's common in adolescents and pre-adolecents, but into adulthood it's a mental disorder of wishing to remain a child, sometimes related to Peter Pan syndrome and eating disorders.

I'm going to "let her rip":

Now, I do not have breasts, so I cannot actively speak on how uncomfortable it would be to move about in a dress like that with no support while walking, let alone while running, swinging through the air and slamming into ledges chest first. The last part, alone, would have been enough to pop her out of the dress, no matter what sort of adhesive she used.

I do have breasts, and that's a ridiculous argument in my opinion. Walking?? LOL. Like a Handicap?? It's not like she was running a marathon. I'm sure if I was out in a low-cut gown and bra-less my large breasts would not stop me from kicking ass if need be. But that's just the way I am.

And this is a FUGLY Dress!:

interstellardave
10-12-07, 12:35
I disagree. I think most people who are posting on this thread are terrified of both breasts, and human sexuality. It's common in adolescents and pre-adolecents, but into adulthood it's a mental disorder of wishing to remain a child, sometimes related to Peter Pan syndrome and eating disorders.

Hear, hear!!!

Lara is, quite frankly, built folks. This common opinion that she wouldn't "show it off" isn't the only possibility. Here's a gorgeous young woman with an awesome body, who puts her life on the line on a daily basis, action and excitement is commonplace to her... I ask you, is such a woman going to be a wall-flower? No, I don't think so... I don't think so at all.

Like I said many times before I think she'd use her "assets" to her advantage whenever possible. The party in Japan is one such situation. I think the developers should have played it up more, showing her "distracting" the guards, and such.

myrmaad
10-12-07, 12:52
Hear, hear!!!

Lara is, quite frankly, built folks. This common opinion that she wouldn't "show it off" isn't the only possibility. Here's a gorgeous young woman with an awesome body, who puts her life on the line on a daily basis, action and excitement is commonplace to her... I ask you, is such a woman going to be a wall-flower? No, I don't think so... I don't think so at all.

Like I said many times before I think she'd use her "assets" to her advantage whenever possible. The party in Japan is one such situation. I think the developers should have played it up more, showing her "distracting" the guards, and such.

I still haven't gotten over this one:

how uncomfortable it would be to move about in a dress like that with no support while walking...

Laras Backpack
10-12-07, 12:53
Sexuality is a complex thing. Wall-flower and 'sexual-extrovert' are too ends of a spectrum and that over-simplifies the matter. No one here would say that Lara shouldn't be confident and sexy. We just all have our own ideas of what's sexy and what's sophisicated. One person's 'tacky' is another person's 'sexy'.

I don't think that the dress is very sexy. I think it' actually a bit wierd looking on Lara's model to be honest. But others think it's fine and that's fair enough. It's not about being afraid of sexuality or breasts or femininity or the human body, it's about what we all find to be 'sexy' or 'not sexy'. There are also different types of 'sexy', some more subtle than others but all equally devistating.

I personally would have found a more demure dress to actually be sexier because it leaves more to the imagination. Add to it a pair of silk stockings perhaps and I would have adored the look. But that's just my opinion and I'm going to give it.

The Legend dress is not the only sexy outfit in existance but it's the one that was chosen. Some people would have prefered something else. I don't see anyone here suggesting that Lara turn up in a turtleneck sweater and woollen skirt like a Victorian school teacher. I'm not getting that vibe from this thread in all honesty.

interstellardave
10-12-07, 13:06
Men aren't as distracted by what's left to the imagination, though. I always viewed, rightly or wrongly, the dress--with it's blatent display of cleavage--as being a calculated attempt to distract her male opponents at the party. They didn't really play on that, though, which I think is CD's biggest mistake... they went halfway and left the whole thing up in the air. Anyone who knows anything about men knows that a woman walking into a room like that is going to drive every man in there to distraction... even that slight advantage could be key to Lara getting in and out of there alive.

Of course, since it's a videogame, Lara could just as well have come in wearing baggy fatigues and killed everyone, anyway, which is what the whole thing boiled down to. To me the dress was fine, it was the way that section of the game was handled that was wrong. It became nothing more than another firefight... could just as well have been in a jungle somewhere.

myrmaad
10-12-07, 13:16
^Right, Dave. I think it was just an opportunity to put her into a different context we hadn't seen before, and for me that's fine, too. Think back to TR2 when we saw her readying for bed, and that also became a gunfight. Even the infamous shower scene was a potential gunfight. ;) That's what Lara does.

I personally didn't like the style of the dress but who cares? It hardly warrants discussion. I thought the opera gown was ugly also.. big woop.

But the fact that people think large breasts are a handicap does warrant discussion. Now a good friend of mine is an extremely tall girl in very good proportion for her height except for her breasts which are (probably equal to several of mine - which are large), and though they do not handicap her, she has thought of having a reduction, they are very very oversized. But I don't have any back pain or issues with mine, which would give Lara a run for her money.

george_croft
10-12-07, 13:25
I find it quite fascinating how a pair of boobs can cause a 13 page commotion in two days. :)

I still haven't gotten over this one:
View Post
how uncomfortable it would be to move about in a dress like that with no support while walking...

In TR2 she remained in her shorts simple because she didn't have time to pickup warm clothes, other than a jacket she found in the airplane (while in later games she was suited very nicely in Antarctica and the Russian Base).

Yes, because it was impossible to work some pants into the story. ;)

Laras Backpack
10-12-07, 13:45
Men aren't as distracted by what's left to the imagination, though. I always viewed, rightly or wrongly, the dress--with it's blatent display of cleavage--as being a calculated attempt to distract her male opponents at the party.
But did that actually happen in the game? No, it didn't. It could have very easily as Legend had plenty of cutscenes and if it had been then fair enough- the dress becomes part of the battle, it'd be a strategy and that's fine. However, Lara didn't need that dress to sneak into the party since she's good friends with Nishimura, and throughout her battles with Takamoto's men you never once see any of them distracted by her figure or her clothes. She may as well have been wearing combats and a tank top in fact because throughout the level none of Takamoto's men trip over their tongues at the sight of her. The only people that dress has an overt impact on are the the gamers themselves- us. And as I wrote in my previous post- we all have a different idea of what is sexy and what is not. Lara's motivations are more fanon than canon so you can see the dress in any light you choose as can everyone else. But it's best not to expect others to feel the same way.

Lior_K
10-12-07, 13:56
Yes, because it was impossible to work some pants into the story. ;)

Maybe, but she is hardly the first person to wear shorts with warm top in cold environment. Many people who are used to physical activity in cold tend to warm up the torso rather than legs.

If the dress was portrayed as something that Lara had to wear it would not be so negatively viewed as something she chose to wear.

interstellardave
10-12-07, 14:00
But did that actually happen in the game? No, it didn't. It could have very easily as Legend had plenty of cutscenes and if it had been then fair enough- the dress becomes part of the battle, it'd be a strategy and that's fine. However, Lara didn't need that dress to sneak into the party since she's good friends with Nishimura, and throughout her battles with Takamoto's men you never once see any of them distracted by her figure or her clothes. She may as well have been wearing combats and a tank top in fact because throughout the level none of Takamoto's men trip over their tongues at the sight of her. The only people that dress has an overt impact on are the the gamers themselves- us. And as I wrote in my previous post- we all have a differnet idea of what is sexy and what is not.

You quote the beginning of my post and then repeat what I said in the latter half of my post--including saying she might as well have been wearing combat gear?! :confused:

As I said, CD half-assed this part of the game. It was an opportunity to do something different and they didn't. It would have made sense that way; I think maybe they ran out of ideas on how to do it and just let it degenerate into a firefight.

Sara Croft
10-12-07, 15:55
it's a game, but the character in the game has more meaning when they suit the personality they were given- consistency.

lara wore a dress in TR5. and we had a TR2 render of a dress that didnt make her look like she was desperate.

http://i.laracroft.tv/images/tr2/tr2-012.jpg

and another
http://i.laracroft.tv/images/tr2/tr2-025.jpg
So a not-too-long dress makes a woman look desperate? What kind of view do you have on women exactly?

Doby
10-12-07, 19:54
And this is a FUGLY Dress!:

Ewww! I would die if that were my prom dress! :vlol:

Hey on the brightside! Atleast Lara did not wear a dress saying "Ducati"! :D

Catlantean
10-12-07, 20:36
Here's one of the early concepts from the Tokyo level, regarding the infamous dress:
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8707/tokyochangingsequencewt2.th.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tokyochangingsequencewt2.jpg)

IMO, it would have been so much better if Crystal had stuck to it instead of making Lara jump around in an outfit that's ridiculously unsuited to jumping around. Lara gets something more practical to raid in and gets to keep her style AND substance - and guys get their fan service (just check out the sexy shots in the pic above). Everyone's happy :)

frodrigues
10-12-07, 22:01
That dress is nothing compared to TR4's classic outfit. We spent the longest TR game (IMO the best too) looking at her brests WAY BIGGER than here and her top got so much smaller. There was any need of that? No.

I actually like the dress but the TR4 outfitt always bugged me a lot. Yet we don't see a thread called "her top" on the last revelation forum. :p It looks as if people is just trying to bash Legend for all the reasons available.

Sara Croft
10-12-07, 22:03
That dress is nothing compared to TR4's classic outfit. We spent the longest TR game (IMO the best too) looking at her brests WAY BIGGER than here and her top got so much smaller. There was any need of that? No.

I actually like the dress but the TR4 outfitt always bugged me a lot. Yet we don't see a thread called "her top" on the last revelation forum. :p It looks as if people is just trying to bash Legend for all the reasons available.
Reminds of the the first level (as adult). There was a little place there were I got an exelent view of her cleavage. :p

SOLA
10-12-07, 22:25
I love threads like this, and I love reading everyone's interpretations -- motives of the character, motives of the game designers. Stuff like this is why I wanted to be a part of this forum! :)

We know Lara is happiest crawling around in dusty tombs, getting covered in cobwebs and dirt. I think she probably has no idea what's fashionable, what's too much, what's too little. She probably hasn't paid much attention to dresses since she was in Swiss finishing school!

When she tried on that cocktail dress, the salespeople were probably oohing and ahhing and telling her how smashing she looked in it, so she took their word for it. :) And then afterward she was maybe a little embarrassed about how much skin she was showing. But by then it was too late!

Isaac
10-12-07, 22:28
Reminds of the the first level (as adult). There was a little place there were I got an exelent view of her cleavage. :p

Or something else if we get stuck in the ceiling underwater...

Most people here are disapointed about Lara running around in a ripped dress. Just for your knowledge, before, she was suppose to take off all her clothes in an elevator and wear something else... That would have been something to talk about.

Somehow, I have to give a point. There's no need to only keep the front and the back to be able to do acrobatic stuffes. Keeping two strips on each of her side would have worked too (talking of the ripped version).

James_Rutland
10-12-07, 22:53

I couldn't agree more with you. :D!

Lior_K
10-12-07, 23:40

Take a look at this image:

http://img150.imagevenue.com/loc1086/th_29712_evolution-of-lara-croft_122_1086lo.jpg (http://i8.************/8af5ox3.jpg)

Does TR4-5 Lara look as outrages, as you claim, compared to other models? Compared to the Legend model it's has a quite similar cleavage.

The dress, however, revealed not only her breast but also her underwear...was that necessary to the game? Or was that necessary for the horny teenage gamers?

The fact the more than enough people dislike this dress says a lot about the topic, so it's not just some unreasonable bashing against Legend.

Or something else if we get stuck in the ceiling underwater...

Most people here are disapointed about Lara running around in a ripped dress. Just for your knowledge, before, she was suppose to take off all her clothes in an elevator and wear something else... That would have been something to talk about.

Somehow, I have to give a point. There's no need to only keep the front and the back to be able to do acrobatic stuffes. Keeping two strips on each of her side would have worked too (talking of the ripped version).

Look and the storyboard - does it reveal more than what you see in Tokyo?

http://spectraljin.com/Tomb_Raider/Storyboards/Tokyo_changing_sequence.jpg

Having a short cut-scene (which also can be skipped) showing Lara change is hardly as bad as having her run around flashing her boobs and lingerie through the entire level.

JamesFKirk
10-12-07, 23:50
Well, has anyone thought that she actually might have tried to take her looks as an advantage? After all, she obviously wanted to get the artefact the more peaceful way, otherways she'd just shoot the guy and get the the artefact with little trouble. This way, dressed this way, she could keep his concentration off ballance. I bet it could work, after all, if it couldn't, there wouldn't be a thread about it.
I hope you get my point. No offense meant - on the contrary, I'm just saying that Lara took an advantage of her being a very attractive woman.
(Oh my, now people are gonna call me sexist or chauvinist...)

myrmaad
10-12-07, 23:58
For Cryin' out loud, her "underwear" looked like bloomers to me.

Let Go
11-12-07, 00:26
Let's see...
It would have been a striking contrast, and a very fun one, at that. Everyone else dressed like tarted up Americans, and in comes Lara in an elegant kimono. It'd be a dramatic contrast, from an artistic point of view. A British woman in traditional Japanese clothing, looking elegant and womanly in her beauty, and all the Japanese women dressed up like Brits and Americans, looking like a bunch of pre-teens! Imagine how irate her foes would have been, then!
Yeah, looking at it under this light I agree completely with you about the kimono!
On some early storyboards Lara would even "act more japanese".
I mean, she was supposed to bow to Takamoto and such - would have been a mocking bow, though.
And Takamoto (actually Tamori at the time) was really short compared to Lara! --> kinda offtopic, but I found it weird :D
unless she's wearing several layers, instead of just one, with lower layers merely faked in by stitching fabric to make it look like there were more, which is a common trick in costuming.
I was thinking of 2 or 3 layers yes, really a more tradicional one :)

Another thing that annoyed me a little with the pre-ripped Legend dress was Lara's hair. (...) Lara's hair in Legend during the short Japan party section moves like a carpet.
:vlol: So true! I was disappointed with that too.
Maybe in NG looks better, but I wouldn't know.I think Lara should have had her hair up (this would have looked geat with the kimono). This would require less animation than a braid or ponytail. Then it would take nothing more than tugging out a few hairpins for her hair to fall into a pre-made ponytail.Actually this is what happens at the cutscene when she changes in the elevator on the storyboards, only with a braid!

Anyone who knows anything about men knows that a woman walking into a room like that is going to drive every man in there to distraction... even that slight advantage could be key to Lara getting in and out of there alive.
I see your point, but I doubt Lara would ever need to make use of such kind of "advantage" ;)

Atleast Lara did not wear a dress saying "Ducati"! :D

:vlol: Agreed :D

myrmaad
11-12-07, 00:41
If she had been wearing a kimono I would have been the one complaining about the dress.. wasn't the point that she was supposed to blend in with the other people, not draw undue attention to herself. That would have been stupid.

And the hair, I can't believe anyone even took time to analyze the hair being down (or the pros and cons of its animation for that matter). Women wear their hair down, occasionally. Why must Lara do things at your whim? The kimono would have been a problem strategically other than that, I never really paid that much attention to her outfits. I assumed she wore a skimpy top in the last revelation because she was sweating like a pig in the hot climate. There hasn't been a single outfit she's been in that I wouldn't have worn myself, though I would have considered the ruching on the Japanese level dress quite unbecoming. I got the biggest kick of all in her high heels and inability to run, now that was oddly interesting.

Let Go
11-12-07, 01:04
Actually her top didn't bother me at all once most of the time we don't even see her frontal part, except for some points where the camera changes.
I must say though, that I found pretty unnecessary the vision of her "semi-transparent" shorts forcing me to look at her thongs during the whole game; both in TR4 & Chronicles.
Isn't such a big deal for me, I understand they make it "for the male players to enjoy".
It's not enough to offend me, however.
Just for your knowledge, before, she was suppose to take off all her clothes in an elevator and wear something else... That would have been something to talk about.
I think it would not actually, once (as Lior_K already said) absolutelly nothing "to talk about" would've been shown :wve:

Well, has anyone thought that she actually might have tried to take her looks as an advantage? After all, she obviously wanted to get the artefact the more peaceful way, otherways she'd just shoot the guy and get the the artefact with little trouble. This way, dressed this way, she could keep his concentration off ballance. I bet it could work, after all, if it couldn't, there wouldn't be a thread about it.
I hope you get my point. No offense meant - on the contrary, I'm just saying that Lara took an advantage of her being a very attractive woman.
(Oh my, now people are gonna call me sexist or chauvinist...)
I hope nobody calls you that, I certainly won't, once we're all here exactly for this. Express our opinions and discuss them with others.
What would be the point on a forum where everybody agrees with everybody else? ;)
I guess interstellardave agrees with you, by the way :D
And I get the point of yours

And the hair, I can't believe anyone even took time to analyze the hair being down (or the pros and cons of its animation for that matter).
I only said I was expecting a more beautiful hair in terms of graphics, once the whole game as a whole was so nice.
Guess Lara's Backpack was refering to this as well :tmb:

SOLA
11-12-07, 01:08
Look and the storyboard - does it reveal more than what you see in Tokyo?

http://spectraljin.com/Tomb_Raider/Storyboards/Tokyo_changing_sequence.jpg

That storyboard is hilarious. "Squish chest a little." "Again move the chest a little." I never thought about how breast dynamics needed to be storyboarded before now. :)

myrmaad
11-12-07, 01:14
Oh Lord! *Slaps head*

I suppose they make a point that she's really a girl!

I must say though, that I found pretty unnecessary the vision of her "semi-transparent" shorts forcing me to look at her thongs during the whole game;

Funny, I never even noticed.

Let Go
11-12-07, 01:29
Funny, I never even noticed.

I wish I haven't either :vlol:
But anyway, it's totally offtopic, sorry.

Betal
11-12-07, 01:56
I must say though, that I found pretty unnecessary the vision of her "semi-transparent" shorts forcing me to look at her thongs during the whole game; both in TR4 & Chronicles.

That was/ is pretty annoying. :p

I hate seeing her thong.:p

For you myrmaad:
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/thelastrevelation_pc_screenshots_01/screen016.jpg

You can actually see the thong. xD

SOLA
11-12-07, 05:40

I thought they were just butt-shadows! :confused:

Twilight
12-12-07, 00:16
So a not-too-long dress makes a woman look desperate? What kind of view do you have on women exactly?

excuse me? i said the tokyo dress in particular made her look desperate not all women. and i am a female, what kind of view do u have on them?

myrmaad
12-12-07, 00:21
I thought they were just butt-shadows! :confused:

TBH that's what I always thought. (and actually I still think so, I mean I'm just not that convinced, but hey, I've been wrong before. Happily oblivious.

Forever_Laras_56
12-12-07, 02:51

yah thats what i said why are people so woried about crying and wineing about the stupid outfits and JUST PLAY THE GAME man people are so stupid "oh i dont like this part of a bilding" this is the kind of stuff people say just becus Cd made the game dusent mean you need to saything like that just to make people hate cd.lara is supost to be sexy and wear stuff like that but im not saying nothing at all but shes an icon an sex symbol for crying out loud thay made lara to be sexy not to be some girl thats ugly an dusent show any skin at all i mean some of the outfiys are just stupid but i love some of them.my god people just look for stuff like that! do you even play the game when i first seen the dress i was like "wow thats cool!" and i dient even pay attition to it and i was more worried about how she fit the gun holsters and the gus in her tiny purse than the dress at all..so comeon guys stop look for things to conplan about and just be happy that laras still around and a lot of people love her and just enjoy the game!

Ward Dragon
12-12-07, 03:32
I personally didn't like the style of the dress but who cares?

I think most people who are posting on this thread are terrified of both breasts, and human sexuality. It's common in adolescents and pre-adolecents, but into adulthood it's a mental disorder of wishing to remain a child, sometimes related to Peter Pan syndrome and eating disorders.

Wait a minute. You agree that the dress is ugly, but you think anyone else who says so has a mental disorder? :confused: Not meaning to pick on you specifically or personally, but I'm tired of people telling me I'm crazy or afraid of boobs just because I think that damned dress looks bad. For ****'s sake, my boobs are bigger than Lara's since Crystal officially reduced her :vlol: Why do these threads always get personal? Why can't people just discuss the dress or Lara without flinging insults or ridiculing people for choosing to discuss the topic? :(

Quasimodo
12-12-07, 03:43
I thought the dress was a little silly because you could see regular and side cleavage (and her ribs, in the current-gen version), and some obvious air-space underneath. Mainly I thought the dress was just uninspired- which bothered me more than any of the boobage ever did.

A knee-length version of this in black, navy blue or white would've been more flattering:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa212/quasiraider2/Capture.jpg

myrmaad
12-12-07, 07:45
^ That looks a lot like the dress Scarlett Johansen wore to the Oscars a couple years ago (the one with the infamous Isaac Mizrahi interview.)

but I'm tired of people telling me I'm crazy or afraid of boobs just because I think that damned dress looks bad.

Well, call me crazy but I think it's a lot to ask that game designers be fashion designers as well. The wardrobe has so dam' little to do with game play, and most people moaning on this thread are moaning because they had to look at some imaginary pixelated boobs.

I didn't start a thread to discuss my lack of enchantment with the dress. I just noted that it wasn't "my style" and moved on. It never affected my game play or perception of the game one way or another.

The volume level of people who are having their "outcry" over the dress is primarily from the people who were so very offended to have to look at "a sexy" body.

The problem is also that gamers are primarily adolescent boys and that's obviously who they're trying to entice into buying into the franchise, and at this point, they are obviously willing to try anything. Personally, after the way Core was treated after the AoD, I'd be in fear of failure if I worked on TR project too, I think it's understandable that they played up their idea of the sex factor as just another weapon in their marketing arsenol.

They needed all the help they could get in my opinion, since CD's tombs are fast, colorless, and weak on puzzles.

Shark_Blade
12-12-07, 08:00
^Agree. :) Anyway I'm not too bothered with the dress much.

Ward Dragon
12-12-07, 08:12
Well, call me crazy but I think it's a lot to ask that game designers be fashion designers as well. The wardrobe has so dam' little to do with game play, and most people moaning on this thread are moaning because they had to look at some imaginary pixelated boobs.

I didn't start a thread to discuss my lack of enchantment with the dress. I just noted that it wasn't "my style" and moved on. It never affected my game play or perception of the game one way or another.

The volume level of people who are having their "outcry" over the dress is primarily from the people who were so very offended to have to look at "a sexy" body.

The problem is also that gamers are primarily adolescent boys and that's obviously who they're trying to entice into buying into the franchise, and at this point, they are obviously willing to try anything. Personally, after the way Core was treated after the AoD, I'd be in fear of failure if I worked on TR project too, I think it's understandable that they played up their idea of the sex factor as just another weapon in their marketing arsenol.

They needed all the help they could get in my opinion, since CD's tombs are fast, colorless, and weak on puzzles.

I understand your point, but I think that the majority of people who posted in this thread about the dress weren't offended by a sexy body. Rather, we were complaining that the dress was NOT sexy and Lara would have enough taste to choose something that worked well for her. That particular dress in Legend looked awful on Lara, and that's not just because of how much skin it showed. To give two examples of video game characters who show even more skin than Lara's dress but still look better than she did, take Rayne and Kaileena.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/RayneandKaileena.jpg

(Rayne's default dress is black in BloodRayne 2. Kaileena is from Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.)

Rayne's dress conforms to her body which looks to me like there's a built-in bra of some sort. Plus she has those cords connecting the dress to her choker so there's an obvious visual reason for why her dress does not fall off even though she does all of the acrobatics that Lara can do in Legend. Kaileena's dress has that corset-thing going on with cords connecting the two sides of the dress, which again gives a visual reason for why the dress stays on. I also really like the flowy-ness of the bottom part of her dress while she moves (it's just beautiful).

Compare that to Lara's dress, which just drapes over her chest rather than cupping underneath her breasts. There's absolutely no visual reason for why her chest stands straight up, which makes it look strange and fake. Plus, there's nothing in the dress's design which would give an even marginal reason for how the dress manages to stay on. It looks like it would fall off if Lara relaxed her shoulders too much. With a few very simple design changes that wouldn't even cover her up any more than the current dress, it could have looked a lot better. Someone doesn't need to be a fashion designer to take gravity into account when looking at a dress :p

myrmaad
12-12-07, 08:14
S_B, I liked your other version much better. It was very articulate, wonder why it disappeared?

Ok, I understand your position better, (and from a designer standpoint, it is a great point.) I don't think the majority of posters on this thread, are posting for the same reason, though.

Since Lara is a pixelated character, it didn't occur to me to fear a wardrobe malfunction. Just like I accepted T.Rex as a recurring character, and grabbing ledges with mere fingertips, and mummies and skeleton warriors, and the rest of the TR world logic defying physics. I don't care for too much realism in my game, in fact I flat out don't want it.

Ward Dragon
12-12-07, 10:49
Ok, I understand your position better, (and from a designer standpoint, it is a great point.)

Thanks :) I'm glad I was finally able to articulate what I was thinking.

Since Lara is a pixelated character, it didn't occur to me to fear a wardrobe malfunction. Just like I accepted T.Rex as a recurring character, and grabbing ledges with mere fingertips, and mummies and skeleton warriors, and the rest of the TR world logic defying physics. I don't care for too much realism in my game, in fact I flat out don't want it.

It only occurred to me about the wardrobe malfunction because the game kept focusing on Lara via cutscenes and camera angles :p I accept the unrealism concerning magic, as long as the game consistently follows the rules it establishes.

MikeAC
12-12-07, 11:17
I understand your point, but I think that the majority of people who posted in this thread about the dress weren't offended by a sexy body. Rather, we were complaining that the dress was NOT sexy and Lara would have enough taste to choose something that worked well for her. That particular dress in Legend looked awful on Lara, and that's not just because of how much skin it showed. To give two examples of video game characters who show even more skin than Lara's dress but still look better than she did, take Rayne and Kaileena.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/RayneandKaileena.jpg

(Rayne's default dress is black in BloodRayne 2. Kaileena is from Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.)

Rayne's dress conforms to her body which looks to me like there's a built-in bra of some sort. Plus she has those cords connecting the dress to her choker so there's an obvious visual reason for why her dress does not fall off even though she does all of the acrobatics that Lara can do in Legend. Kaileena's dress has that corset-thing going on with cords connecting the two sides of the dress, which again gives a visual reason for why the dress stays on. I also really like the flowy-ness of the bottom part of her dress while she moves (it's just beautiful).

Compare that to Lara's dress, which just drapes over her chest rather than cupping underneath her breasts. There's absolutely no visual reason for why her chest stands straight up, which makes it look strange and fake. Plus, there's nothing in the dress's design which would give an even marginal reason for how the dress manages to stay on. It looks like it would fall off if Lara relaxed her shoulders too much. With a few very simple design changes that wouldn't even cover her up any more than the current dress, it could have looked a lot better. Someone doesn't need to be a fashion designer to take gravity into account when looking at a dress :p
Have to disagree with Kaleena. There is nothing elegant about what she, or any other women in that game wore. They were clearly designed as sex objects and some of the renders alone border on the lines of pornography. Absolute trash.

At the very least with Lara, they kept some modesty with the panty hose.

ivannnnn
12-12-07, 11:19
You think the dress is too revealed?

Ward Dragon
12-12-07, 12:36
Have to disagree with Kaleena. There is nothing elegant about what she, or any other women in that game wore. They were clearly designed as sex objects and some of the renders alone border on the lines of pornography. Absolute trash.

At the very least with Lara, they kept some modesty with the panty hose.

I agree that Kaileena's dress is very trashy. I still think it looks better than Lara's dress, though (I'm referring to Kaileena's in-game dress. I haven't really seen any of the renders). At least Kaileena's dress had the interesting bottom which looked good in the scenes where the camera is up in the ceiling and we see Kaileena walking across the giant room with the dress flowing around her. I don't think Lara's dress was modest at all, and I don't remember her wearing panty hose either :confused: In any case, I wasn't saying Lara should have worn Kaileena's dress. I was just saying that if Crystal absolutely insisted upon throwing Lara into an outfit that revealed that much skin, they could have added something to give the impression that the dress was actually giving proper support.

On a side note, the only other woman in Warrior Within (not counting sand creatures) is Shadee, whose outfit is very ugly and I intentionally did not mention her :p

Sara Croft
12-12-07, 16:39
excuse me? i said the tokyo dress in particular made her look desperate not all women. and i am a female, what kind of view do u have on them?
Why does Lara look desperate, but only Lara?

danitiwa
12-12-07, 19:52

Firstly, You are at the edge of seeing her nipples, secondly you can almost see her buttcrack. She looks like she needs to screw a man in place, not do buissiness with a bad guy. She's a lady, not a street*****. Lara would have worn something much more elegant than that flimpy dress.

That's just what I think.

If you'd been paying attention to the other Tokyo girls dancing in the bar, they wore much more modest clothing. The woman CD calls "Lara" was the only one who looked like she was going to the playboy mansion.

CORE did make her a sex symbol from the start, but It's just not her style. If she's going to be hot, make her Elegant hot, not porno hot.

Angel_14
12-12-07, 19:58

It's because it's not Lara's style Imo. Just like skirt is not my style, but it's the style/clothe preference for my friend. There are some clothes I can't imagine Lara wearing. Because Madonna or whichever star wears dresses like that and look amazing in it, that doesn't mean that Lara will look good in it too... :P

TombFreak
12-12-07, 23:03
^Right, Dave. I think it was just an opportunity to put her into a different context we hadn't seen before, and for me that's fine, too. Think back to TR2 when we saw her readying for bed, and that also became a gunfight.

I raelly don't care if she ran around in her sports bra and undies. I don't care because Lara is in her manor. ;)

Twilight
12-12-07, 23:16
^Right, Dave. I think it was just an opportunity to put her into a different context we hadn't seen before, and for me that's fine, too. Think back to TR2 when we saw her readying for bed, and that also became a gunfight.

I raelly don't care if she ran around in her sports bra and undies. I don't care because Lara is in her manor. ;)

different context is fine, but keep it in character. lara changes practically every 2 games, at least keep her elegance and independance consistent.

and lara was in a blue robe in TR2 home sweet home level. and trained in a sports bra and sweat pants. even for her manor, it had modesty.

TombFreak
12-12-07, 23:21
yah thats what i said why are people so woried about crying and wineing about the stupid outfits and JUST PLAY THE GAME man people are so stupid "oh i dont like this part of a bilding" this is the kind of stuff people say just becus Cd made the game dusent mean you need to saything like that just to make people hate cd.lara is supost to be sexy and wear stuff like that but im not saying nothing at all but shes an icon an sex symbol for crying out loud thay made lara to be sexy not to be some girl thats ugly an dusent show any skin at all i mean some of the outfiys are just stupid but i love some of them.my god people just look for stuff like that! do you even play the game when i first seen the dress i was like "wow thats cool!" and i dient even pay attition to it and i was more worried about how she fit the gun holsters and the gus in her tiny purse than the dress at all..so comeon guys stop look for things to conplan about and just be happy that laras still around and a lot of people love her and just enjoy the game!

1. I finished the game.

2. This is called Tomb Raider Forums not Be Rude Forums.

3. We all notice little things in the game, it's not like we all go searching for stuff like this.

4. Lay off of other people who don't like the dress.

5. We aren't being whiney we're simply stating our opinion.

Jeez:hea:

Betal
12-12-07, 23:28
Firstly, You are at the edge of seeing her nipples, secondly you can almost see her buttcrack. She looks like she needs to screw a man in place, not do buissiness with a bad guy. She's a lady, not a street*****. Lara would have worn something much more elegant than that flimpy dress.

That's just what I think.

If you'd been paying attention to the other Tokyo girls dancing in the bar, they wore much more modest clothing. The woman CD calls "Lara" was the only one who looked like she was going to the playboy mansion.

CORE did make her a sex symbol from the start, but It's just not her style. If she's going to be hot, make her Elegant hot, not porno hot.

Lara have always been a sex symbol. And sex sales. I don't think anyone would buy the games if Lara had clothes like these::p

http://www.demofon.com/images/burka2.jpg

Let Go
13-12-07, 17:25
^

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

Rexie
13-12-07, 17:50
opinion is not a fact,say your opinion and get off the horse -_-'

@Betal :vlol: :vlol:

Deepthought
13-12-07, 19:14
Wow, people are complaining about this ?! Comon, guys, how about these "elegant" , "classy" pictures of cores lara:

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/legacy_art_25/screen6.jpg
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/legacy_art_23/screen5.jpg
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/legacy_art_24/screen2.jpg
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/legacy_art_24/screen3.jpg
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/legacy_art_24/screen5.jpg

now, tell me which is worse :rolleyes:

SOLA
13-12-07, 22:56
Comon, guys, how about these "elegant" , "classy" pictures of cores lara:

Lara's European. In Europe women can go topless and still be elegant and classy. :D

trXD
13-12-07, 23:19
Lara's European. In Europe women can go topless and still be elegant and classy. :D

thats the first i heard of it?

george_croft
13-12-07, 23:21

Since when, exactly ?:p

Ward Dragon
14-12-07, 07:11
Wow, people are complaining about this ?! Comon, guys, how about these "elegant" , "classy" pictures of cores lara:

now, tell me which is worse :rolleyes:

That's very easy. The dress is worse because it's actually in the game. I don't have to see those renders while playing any of the games (in fact, I only saw one of the ones you posted before right now), but there's no way around the dress the first time through Legend.

Shark_Blade
14-12-07, 08:23
Lara's European. In Europe women can go topless and still be elegant and classy. :DYeah, you should go naked to an elegant ball and see how classy that is. :D

TombFreak
16-12-07, 18:06
Okay this thread hasn't been getting new posts lately so you peoples can close it. Please close it.;) It's like having a dog suffering, you put it to sleep to put it out of suffering.

Tomb Raider Master
16-12-07, 18:32
^ :confused:

Okay, as you wish.

Closed.