PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner

chrimajon
09-12-07, 18:33
This oft-maligned,widely misunderstood yet groundbreaking movie,finally had the DVD release it's been crying out for - the 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition - at the beginning of last week(here in the UK that is,I believe the US release is on Dec 18th),and I've spent most of this weekend working thru' what's on offer..which is plenty!

No less than 5 versions of the movie,a fascinating documentary running almost 4 hours in length plus stacks of other goodies..making this probably the best boxset ever,so...

Have you seen the film?
Did you like it or loathe it?
Did you feel it a triumph of style and visuals,or did you also get the underlying message?
Do you prefer the voice-over?
Is Deckard a 'replicant' or merely human all along?

Discuss..

TombRaiderLover
09-12-07, 18:40
Have you seen the film?
Did you feel it a triumph of style and visuals,or did you also get the underlying message?
Yes, I've seen the film, many times.
I loved it. One of my favourites.
I felt that it was a triumpth of style and visuals, but although the romance between Deckard and Rachel thin, and some characters were lacking in characterisation, there was definitely a message about humanity.
I've never seen the Theatrical Version, only the Director's Cut.
Ridley Scott says he's a replicant, and there's definitine hints, so I think he is.

I'm saving up for the Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition Tin. The package looks gorgeous and I'm sure I'll have hours of entertainment. :)

Vertigo
09-12-07, 18:43
I`m sooooooo glad, you like it!! I love this movie! Have seen it again today!

I love Philip Dick`s book and Scott`s movie is fantastic! Ridley said in 2000 year that Rick is a replicant (and in one of scenes his eyes shinin` like robot`s eyes).
Daryl Hannah was amazing! So young and sexy! I love her style. Pris is my favorite character!
Rutger Hauer was so great!!!
Harrison Ford is beautiful actor. He is the Real Deckard.

I LOVE CYBER-PUNK AND I LOVE BLADE RUNNER!

Cochrane
09-12-07, 18:53
I like this genre of movie, but Blade Runner - I don't know, I guess I'm not smart enough for this. I just didn't get it. It was a very well done movie, and Harrison Ford is always great, but I just don't really get what it was trying to tell me and how.

Encore
10-12-07, 15:38
I like this genre of movie, but Blade Runner - I don't know, I guess I'm not smart enough for this. I just didn't get it. It was a very well done movie, and Harrison Ford is always great, but I just don't really get what it was trying to tell me and how.

It's not THAT deep really, the book is a lot more complicated. What I liked most about the subject is that the replicants' desperation about their longevity and "expiry" dates is exactly the same as humanity's desolation about death (hence the "but then again who does?" at the end).

BtoFu
10-12-07, 19:13
Have you seen the film?
Lost count how many times

It's sat comfortably in my top 10 for about 8 years now.

The aesthetic impact is still being felt today...everybody knows what you mean when you say 'a Blade Runner shot'. But it's also thematically dense enough via the visual cues as well as the text for the viewer to 'get' plenty of readings from the story - not just one message.

I quite like it myself, in parts, though the bit at the end 'I don't know why he saved my life..' is horrendous.

For me he's got to be human. If it's a love story and I believe it is, I think we can casually overlook the supposed nature of Replicants and click with someone dependable, someone we can relate to, someone human - even if you can't answer 'what makes us different from them?' in that sitting. But I can swing the other way...depends on my mood. :D

andromeda_eats
10-12-07, 21:22
the book was WAY better. i hated the romance between deckard and rachael. why does hollywood always need to serve up romance? ruined the movie for me.

Encore
10-12-07, 23:25
^Well tastes ARE subjective. I simply hated the book and love the movie.

Roy Batty(Rutger Hauer) has got to be one of the best cinematic characters of all time.

MoonSword
10-12-07, 23:26
Have you seen the film?
Yes, many times.

A must-see definitely.

Got the message first, as I saw it way after it was first released.

Yes.

He's a replicant IMO. The folded-paper unicorn means the man knows Deckard's dreams, ie. have been set.

andromeda_eats
10-12-07, 23:49
^Well tastes ARE subjective.

wow

Angelus
11-12-07, 10:10
I've never seen it, to be honest with y'all. :)

interstellardave
11-12-07, 12:06
It's not THAT deep really, the book is a lot more complicated. What I liked most about the subject is that the replicants' desperation about their longevity and "expiry" dates is exactly the same as humanity's desolation about death (hence the "but then again who does?" at the end).

The book is A LOT different too. The movie is really only loosely based on the book... perhaps inspired by would be a better term for it. Still, the book and the movie are both classics, IMO.

There are a lot of movies inspired by Philip K Dicks' work... but few seem to match it well. I'm not sure movies that are exactly faithful to the source material would make it in the mainstream anyway...