PDA

View Full Version : 2012 - Mayan calander ends, something big to happen?

Lara Croft Fan Joe
13-12-07, 20:57
In light of Tomb Raider Underworld and its plot, I decided to look for some information on the Mayan Calander, and I found this:

'The next peak in sunspot activity is expected in 2012. That date alone is enough to cause some consternation, in that according to some sources the Mayan Calendar ends, and the world will never be quite the same. Meanwhile the Jupiter-Sun oppositions are continuing on an approximate 13 month basis to rotate around the Zodiac. Then on December 2, 2012 , the opposition occurs with the Sun in Sagittarius and Jupiter in Gemini. The respective declinations are within one degree of being in exact opposition. The curious part is that the planets, Pluto, Mars, and Venus form with Jupiter something called the “Finger of Destiny” with Jupiter as the focal point. Astrologically, Jupiter is the ‘Santa Claus' of the Zodiac and tends to bring good things. Interestingly, enough, this includes death and the release from the trials and tribulations of earthly existence. Thus this special emphasis on Jupiter can mean release for some and/or an evolutionary ascension for others.'

I'm doubtful anything MAJOR will happen, but the fact that the Mayan calander ends on December 21st, 2012, slightly creeps me out, especially since (correct me if I'm wrong) the Mayans were right about the lunar cycle, only out by a few seconds. This does not neccesarily mean the end of the world at all, but the start of the *seventh* age, the question is will anything happen?

Mad Tony
13-12-07, 21:01
I don't believe some Mayan calendar. 2012 will probably be just like any other year.

Vertigo
13-12-07, 21:03
What will happen?
Amy Winehouse will be the Queen of Earth
I`ll be blonde again
Justin Timberlake will be called 'The Greatest Singer - Songwriter Of All Times'
Cuala-Lumpur will be the capital of galaxy

OK, seriously, I`m afraid of that all, especialy the World End

Sara Croft
13-12-07, 21:06
Its always fun thinking something could happen the year of 2012. :]

Drone
13-12-07, 21:07
lol something could always happen so I don't really care when

Soma Holiday
13-12-07, 21:18
Well I'm HOPING *fingers crossed* for a zombie apocalypse...but I really don't know.

;)

Rivendell
13-12-07, 21:44
Something will happen, but I doubt it'll be anywhere near as catastrophic as people make out.

tombraider123
13-12-07, 21:44
I just don't get it, why will something happen because it is an end of a calender?

Geck-o-Lizard
13-12-07, 21:47
The world ain't gonna end. The world's survived every other prophecy that's prophesied its demise so far.

Rivendell
13-12-07, 21:47
Or has it? :mis: *Dun-Dun-DAHH!*

Geck-o-Lizard
13-12-07, 21:49
You mean the we're-all-brains-in-jars scenario? :cln:

xcrushterx
13-12-07, 21:50
I doubt anything major is going to happen.

I thought that by the seventh age, it meant something like the seventh period of, say, music (I believe the titles for the different musical periods are the same for everything else), like we've had Romantic, Baroque, medieval, Renaissance, Modern, classical. 'Tis only 6, so the seventh is yet to begin.

silver_wolf
13-12-07, 21:57
Has anyone ever considered that maybe the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 because the Mayans got sick of carving it?:ton:
But seriously, I doubt anything major will happen. Maybe, you know, the collapse of America or something like that...

Rivendell
13-12-07, 21:58
You mean the we're-all-brains-in-jars scenario? :cln:

Or ghosts, floating around in an ethereal afterlife, and what we perceive as life is merely the manifestation of our dreams... Oooooh, spooky..

silver_wolf
13-12-07, 22:00
I've always wondered how I know that my entire life isn't just a dream. But then, if it is, I wouldn't really care, would I? Although it will be a bit odd if I wake up in Paris as a girl.....

Zac Medley
13-12-07, 22:02
Hopefully Jesus will have come back before then.

I'm ready to get out of here.

silver_wolf
13-12-07, 22:06
*holy high five* I'm with you

xMiSsCrOfTx
13-12-07, 22:10
I honestly don't know what to think about this. Their calendar has been scary-accurate... And also matches Nostradamus' prediction that in the year 2012, the world will end. I don't want to say I doubt anything huge will happen, but it's really scary to think about.

Anubis_AF
13-12-07, 22:20
Hopefully Jesus will have come back before then.

I'm ready to get out of here.
Oh happy day!

Bet you 10 bucks ain't no thing happenin'.

silver_wolf
13-12-07, 22:22
in 2012? Idk...I'll admit the ancients seemed to know something...

Ampersand
13-12-07, 22:26
I doubt anything cataclysmically bad will happen, though my inner superstitious freak is a bit worried thinking about it. :pi:

george_croft
Jesus is coming and wiping all the non-believers away from the face of the earth with a huge bazooka. http://i18.************/8c0hzzr.png

=]

nick-xx
we could meet morpheus :p

findme
13-12-07, 22:28
How many times do people ahv to bring this topic up OVER AND OVER AGAIN?

it's getting boring imo it's bull****.

Rivendell
13-12-07, 22:30
Good grief, calm down. It'll appear much more often now TR is tying in with it.

george_croft
13-12-07, 22:32
How many times do people ahv to bring this topic up OVER AND OVER AGAIN?

it's getting boring imo it's bull****.

Holy crap. Anger problems ? http://i5.************/8c35vf6.gif

Tihocan9
13-12-07, 22:40
Come on guys, don't be so closed minded, yes it sounds stupid and impossible to predict that but what if?...I do beleive in paranormal happenings happen in our daily lives such as predicting the future or a seeing of a spirit (no, beleiving this was not influenced by by love of the show Medium, I like the show beucase it has that stuff in it) I personally still do not think that anything will happen on that date, what I think will happen is people in the world that do beleive it will go hysterical and then nothing will probobly happen. But Mayans wwere not stupid, they predicted eclipses, allignment of planets and other celestial stuff into the far future and all the sudden the calender stops...Doesnt mean the world will end though. But I am open minded. It is their culture, their myths, respect it, you dont have to beleive in it but just give them the respect they deserve you would not like having yuor beleifs attacked like this.

nick-xx
13-12-07, 22:44
the only that can happen is with our sun but it will billion of years and not in 2012

Mad Tony
13-12-07, 22:48
Come on guys, don't be so closed minded, yes it sounds stupid and impossible to predict that but what if?...I do beleive in paranormal happenings happen in our daily lives such as predicting the future or a seeing of a spirit (no, beleiving this was not influenced by by love of the show Medium, I like the show beucase it has that stuff in it) I personally still do not think that anything will happen on that date, what I think will happen is people in the world that do beleive it will go hysterical and then nothing will probobly happen. But Mayans wwere not stupid, they predicted eclipses, allignment of planets and other celestial stuff into the far future and all the sudden the calender stops...Doesnt mean the world will end though. But I am open minded. It is their culture, their myths, respect it, you dont have to beleive in it but just give them the respect they deserve you would not like having yuor beleifs attacked like this.What's wrong with members giving their opinions on this? If some members feel that it's a load of BS (and I'm one of them) then so be it. Nothing wrong with it.

tombraider123
13-12-07, 22:54
I just did a little research, some people have said on the net that it does not definatly mean the end, just a transition into a new age, or something.

Indiana Croft
13-12-07, 22:55
:)Well, if things go according to Mayan tradition, we all die!

MiCkiZ88
13-12-07, 22:57
What's wrong with members giving their opinions on this? If some members feel that it's a load of BS (and I'm one of them) then so be it. Nothing wrong with it.Should ask the same question from you.

I'm not sure what I ''believe'' (am I even allowed to use that word here without someone attacking my personal views?) will happen then though. But It's kinda freaky tbh. And it doesn't actually mean it would be the end of the world. Something else possibly, yes. But I dunno. =/

jeremyANDROGYNY
13-12-07, 22:58
Zombie apocalypse anybody :wve:

I better go back and read the Zombie Survival Guide again. :D

bloodstormaoa
13-12-07, 22:59
Aren't the aliens going to invade in 2012? :yik:

Indiana Croft
13-12-07, 22:59
Zombie apocalypse anybody :wve:

I better go back and read the Zombie Survival Guide again. :D

Where's that at? I need to review my Zombie whoop ass guide:)

Betal
13-12-07, 23:04
I don't believe in this.

It's like me and my friend would tell everybody that tomorrow is the end of the world.

Like Von Croy would say. Ancient hocus pocus

tombraider123
14-12-07, 00:12
Von Croy was wrong when he said that, lol.

thecentaur
14-12-07, 00:19
Didn't that nostradamus dude predict that the world will end 2012? I don't know what that has to do with the mayans, but it's pretty interesting.

tombraider123
14-12-07, 00:38
After researching it quite a bit, I don't think the world will end. Something may happen or it may not, I just think the calender ends there because it will be the start of a new age.

CAISACO
14-12-07, 00:44
Something will happen, but I don't think it will be that deadly that EVERYONE will die.

vespertea
14-12-07, 00:54
Until catastrophe is confirmed, I'll live my life as if nothing is going to happen in 2012. And if something actually does happen, considering I'm still alive, then I'll just go from there.

silver_wolf
14-12-07, 02:26
Jesus is coming and wiping all the non-believers away from the face of the earth with a huge bazooka. http://i18.************/8c0hzzr.png

=]
:vlol:that smilie completes the image of jesus with a bazooka!
I just did a little research, some people have said on the net that it does not definatly mean the end, just a transition into a new age, or something.
that's what I think will happen...a new world order...damn those Illuminati and their Freemasons!! Damn them I say!

Tomb of Legends
14-12-07, 02:51
Now for some health advise from Tomb_of_legends...

Live life to the fullest. Just so you have no regrets. Fortantly, I do this everyday..well..sometimes lol.

That or..WOO! Bring on the Zombie Apocolypse!! (*Shivers* Those things give me the creeps)

ajrich17901
14-12-07, 03:24
No prophecy is gonna kill the world its gonna be out own dumb fault for eventualy killin the world O.o

Andariel
14-12-07, 03:43
Well I’m HOPING *fingers crossed* for a zombie apocalypse...but I really don’t know.

;)
Ditto. I hope I don’t become one and can fight every zombie off, like Jill Valentine, with my shotgun. :D

Necromanser
14-12-07, 04:05
Sauron will return.

Quasimodo
14-12-07, 04:42
They ran out space to write in another year, maybe? :P

There's tons and tons of end-of-the-world theories out there, but it ends when it ends, eh?

Chiki Mina
14-12-07, 04:56
BS

I don't believe or worry about that crap. 2012 is like any other year. New things may come, new deaths, new borns, blah blah.

ajrich17901
14-12-07, 05:03
I agree fully with u:jmp:

BS

I don't believe or worry about that crap. 2012 is like any other year. New things may come, new deaths, new borns, blah blah.

vespertea
14-12-07, 06:06
BS

Spot-on. I like that mentality.

Quiver.
14-12-07, 07:02
sure...

I'm already building a shelter where I can hyde in 2012 :ton:

the hooliganz
14-12-07, 07:08
I don't really believe in the mayan calendar, but it may be true

But I don't wish it is

Spikey
14-12-07, 07:51
They probably predicted the disaster to be the 2012 London Olympics, I knew it was doomed from the start. :rolleyes:

JamesFKirk
14-12-07, 08:31
Well, the mayan calendar doesn't end on 21st December 2012 (or 23rd December 2012, depends on the calculation used), only that it completes it's 13th b'ak'tun cycle (which is approximately 395 solar years). The Mayans themselves obviously believed that something big was about to happen, although the researchers are not certain what exactly. However the majority believes that it's not the end of the world (and possibly not even the 2012 olympics :) ). Some researchers believe that Mayans thought that on that day the Creation will pass from one world to another, however with Mayans that means a thing much different from the generaly accepted western view on the meaning on the term. It simply means that the gods create another world and transport all the Creation to it (at least, that's how I understand the legend). Also, I believe that you can tell by the number of the finished cycle that b'ak'tun cycles have been completed before - without any apparent worldwide disaster :) The 12th b'ak'tun cycle ended in 1617, and if I remember my history lessons well, nothing of major or global importance happenned that year.
Any more questions? :)

Lenochka
14-12-07, 13:08
I always hated this theory... Maybe the mayans just got annoyed with making calanders for times that are SUPER far ahead. I believe the end of the world (If there is to be an end) Is far from this point.

Cochrane
14-12-07, 13:33
Oh, something will happen for sure. I hereby make it my official prediction, and you can hold me to that once the time comes: In late 2012, people will start purchasing calendars that say 2013.

Let's be honest: We're living in an area that would be called, from a Mayan point of view, "very far away". They had no clue whether anything would happen. Hell, they didn't even know that they should not have trusted the white warriors coming from the east to them, and that was much closer.

As for their calendar being accurate so far: That does not take too much skill. The ancient romans were able to work out very precise calendars and predict eclipses as well. It's just a whole lot of math to go through, but there is no hidden secret.

So my opinion is clear: Nothing big is going to happen because of that calendar.

Andariel
14-12-07, 13:45
I won’t be upset if the world were to end soon. I have enough to deal with, like my health, so it doesn’t really matter to me. lol :p

talion
14-12-07, 13:54
If I remember rightly they figured out a code in the bible which had 'predicted' many of the big events the history of the world. However, this code also predicted that the world would end in 2006 :)

There have been many, many wrong end of the world predictions in the history of mankind, and i see no reason why this one should be any different.

tombraider123
14-12-07, 14:22
If I remember rightly they figured out a code in the bible which had 'predicted' many of the big events the history of the world. However, this code also predicted that the world would end in 2006 :)

There have been many, many wrong end of the world predictions in the history of mankind, and i see no reason why this one should be any different.

O yeah, I remember watching a program about that. It had correct predictions of the first man on moon and assasination of JFK and others too, then it predicted in 2006 there would be a nuclear war and it would kill everyone.

Cochrane
14-12-07, 14:27
If a text is long enough, and the bible certainly is, then you will find predictions for just about anything if you only bend it long enough. That does not mean those predictions were ever in there, only that you see them there. For this reason, I do not give much, if anything at all, about these things.

danitiwa
14-12-07, 14:37
Something will happen, but I doubt it'll be anywhere near as catastrophic as people make out.
Ditto, it might be that Apple publish an icalculate or some crap like that. :p :vlol:

Kerrigan
14-12-07, 15:14
I think these things are only metaphors, but regarding the number 12 - I know it is consider to be the duration of a cosmic year.

petujaymz
14-12-07, 15:15
I thought we were all gonna die back in 2000.

I'm still yer; dunno about you.

:wve:

Lenochka
14-12-07, 15:17
Ditto, it might be that Apple publish an icalculate or some crap like that. :p :vlol:

:vlol:

Or the iToilet

Rivendell
14-12-07, 15:19
Just wait 'til Apple starts a world war, then they'll be dropping iBombs everywhere :cool:

Necromanser
14-12-07, 15:24
Just wait 'til Apple starts a world war, then they'll be dropping iBombs everywhere :cool:
Lmao :vlol:

Nausinous
14-12-07, 15:47
I'm hoping for something this world is just too dull :( I've got my fingers crossed for demons and portals ripping through the atmoshpere on our very streets. :D

Necromanser
14-12-07, 15:49
and we all put on the doom soundtrack and rip off our clothes and fight them.

abc123
14-12-07, 16:15
Yeah like some Slayer or something.

Jacob x5
14-12-07, 16:24
What will happen?
I`ll be blonde again
Justin Timberlake will be called 'The Greatest Singer - Songwriter Of All Times'

And David Beckham will receive a knighthood. :p

kooky
14-12-07, 17:34
NO ONE knows when the world will end, only Waheguru knows when it will. ;)

nick-xx
14-12-07, 17:38
i just love how funny this thread is getting into :vlol: :vlol:

Catapharact
14-12-07, 17:38
Hmmm... here is hoping that after 2012, some mind-reformating ray would make the forum brats would stop spamming the GC thread *fingers crossed.*

jamieoliver22
14-12-07, 18:00
Hmmm... here is hoping that after 2012, some mind-reformating ray would make the forum brats would stop spamming the GC thread *fingers crossed.*

Lets hope it hits you first then :p

Catapharact
14-12-07, 18:01
Didn't I tell you to stop tailing my feet? Now scat will ya.

Jacob x5
14-12-07, 18:15

Or the iToilet

"Thank you for flushing me".

Earthcane
14-12-07, 18:21
Well I'm HOPING *fingers crossed* for a zombie apocalypse...but I really don't know.

;)
**Bow down to the wrath of the walking dead...**

Me? Meh, I'd choose a Zombie Apocalypse over nothing anyday.... :whi:

abc123
14-12-07, 19:03
I hope its true. This world blows...

tweetygwee
14-12-07, 19:26
The irony is, if one of these prophecies is right, we might not ever get the chance to realise!

Bumio
14-12-07, 19:29
i dont believe all this mumbo jumbo about world end and so on :wve: though still im trying to live like every day would be the last :)

Cochrane
14-12-07, 19:31
though still im trying to live like every day would be the last :)

So am I, although my philosphy might be different from yours. It centers around procrastination.

scion05
14-12-07, 19:34
What will happen?
I`ll be blonde again

Vertigo will learn to spell.... :p

Joking of course hehe :p

danitiwa
14-12-07, 20:27

Or the iToilet

I can't wait. :rolleyes:

*What SONG would you like to play while you crap?*

Aztek463
16-12-07, 19:11
To be honest, I'm a little nervous. All the events that are supposed to be occuring in 2012 (I've also read about an asteroid making another pass at Earth around then), plus the ending of the Mayan calendar do have me a bit on edge. I'm not worried just yet: we still have at least four years left.

YasmineCroft
16-12-07, 19:20
There aren't objective proof yet, so I don't believe the Mayan calender.
It could be that the earth ''dies'' then, because of the too many CO2 production.

I don't know..:whi:

Aurimas
16-12-07, 19:37

Reggie
16-12-07, 19:38
I find it all very interesting and I do think a subtle but significant shift will occur. However, I'll be continuing my life as normal. No point getting frantic over it all like some have been known to do.

WhiteTiger
16-12-07, 19:45
Maybe will come Age Of Aquarius!!!

JamesFKirk
16-12-07, 19:49
Nosterdamus said that it will be the end of the world in 2012, didn't he? Also it is the last year in Mayan calendar. Well, it says that it is going to be promising year... :)
As far as I remember Nostradamus predicted no such thing... And also, the sense of his predictions is elusive and thus, open to interpretation. Nostradamus also predicted World War Three beginning in 1993 or 2003 (if my memory serves me), and it was supposed to be a nuclear holocaust.
Now, did something on that level happen? :) I believe it when I see any signs of the world ending.
Maybe will come Age Of Aquarius!!!
According to astronomy, the Great Month of Aquarius will begin around the year 2600. A lot of time from today. :)

CAISACO
16-12-07, 19:58
To be honest, I'm a little nervous. All the events that are supposed to be occuring in 2012 (I've also read about an asteroid making another pass at Earth around then), plus the ending of the Mayan calendar do have me a bit on edge. I'm not worried just yet: we still have at least four years left.

I feel like crying everyday since I've heard this

JamesFKirk
16-12-07, 20:09
Nothing to worry about. Many asteroids went near the Earth many times in recent times, and the humanity is still here. No extinction level event in planning for a long time. The only thing threathening humanity is humanity itself. And we survived two world wars. Quite resilient, arent we? :)

WhiteTiger
16-12-07, 20:13
According to astronomy, the Great Month of Aquarius will begin around the year 2600. A lot of time from today. :)

Oh, awesome!!! Then, why worry about damn 2012?!?!?

Mad Tony
16-12-07, 20:15
we still have at least four years left.Our future is not certain. Regardless how many years we're talking about. The world could end in 10 minutes.

The only certain thing about the future is uncertainty.

jackali
16-12-07, 20:19
OVER AND OVER AGAIN?

CONFUSED dot com. :ton:

Anyway, meh, I don't think anything catastrophic'll happen. They always say it, but it hasn't really happened yet.

JamesFKirk
16-12-07, 21:32
CONFUSED dot com. :ton:

Anyway, meh, I don't think anything catastrophic'll happen. They always say it, but it hasn't really happened yet.
Or maybe we just haven't noticed yet. ;)

Cochrane
16-12-07, 21:41
Our future is not certain. Regardless how many years we're talking about. The world could end in 10 minutes.

The only certain thing about the future is uncertainty.

To be honest, most scenarios of the world ending would give us more warning than ten minutes. The only one where the world would end without more than ten minutes warning was described in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I don't think this is a very likely situation.

Mad Tony
16-12-07, 21:43
To be honest, most scenarios of the world ending would give us more warning than ten minutes. The only one where the world would end without more than ten minutes warning was described in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I don't think this is a very likely situation.I was just using an example. Anything could happen. Obviously, it's not very likely.

Rivendell
16-12-07, 21:46
I find it all very interesting and I do think a subtle but significant shift will occur. However, I'll be continuing my life as normal.

Say that again when you've grown an extra ear and sprouted a tail. ;)

myrmaad
17-12-07, 00:07
I predict I will finally learn not to waste ten precious minutes of my life on useless threads like these! http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/icons/omg.gif

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-12-07, 01:19
I don't believe some Mayan calendar. 2012 will probably be just like any other year.

Ditto.

Aztek463
17-12-07, 02:00

Oh crap. I'm sorry :( *hugs*

spikejones
17-12-07, 02:11
Nosterdamus said that it will be the end of the world in 2012, didn't he? Also it is the last year in Mayan calendar. Well, it says that it is going to be promising year... :)

Just so I'm not shooting my wad or anything. I'm no expert on they guy, but according to different resources I've been reading up on, Nostradamus clearly stated in one of his letters that his predictions extend to the year 3797 and furthermore that none of his predictions were about the end of the world.

Guess that means life will continue for at least 1,970 more years if you believe in any of this kind of stuff.

As for me, I don't buy into any of this stuff. I could get into religious stuff about the end of the world, but I don't want to start a debate.

danitiwa
17-12-07, 05:02

Cat, that's why we have the mature section? :whi: If "forum Brats" Annoy you so much then just leave! :wve: It's that simple, no one's forcing you to stay here.