PDA

View Full Version : Blue Velvet DVD --- A Question that Needs Answering

TombRaiderLover
15-12-07, 20:49
Castle Home Video released a DVD of David Lynch's 1986 Blue Velvet that has since been very heavily criticised for the poor picture quality: a cropped 1:33:1 aspect ratio, dull lifeless colours, poor contrast, little detail.

I've been bought the 2004 re-issue by Prism Leisure Entertainment for Christmas. I was wondering if it uses the eye-raping video transfer the Castle Home Video DVD used, and if not, what aspect ratio does it use and how good IS the picture quality.

Thanks. :wve:

bloodstormaoa
15-12-07, 22:52
I have the Prism one :)

It uses 2:35:1 Anamorphic widescreen as it's aspect ratio and although, I haven't viewed the Castle Home Video version, I must say the picture is fantastic on this one :tmb:

TombRaiderLover
16-12-07, 11:42
I have the Prism one :)

It uses 2:35:1 Anamorphic widescreen as it's aspect ratio and although, I haven't viewed the Castle Home Video version, I must say the picture is fantastic on this one :tmb:

Oh, jolly good. :)

Though if I watch it on Christmas Day and find out differently, I'm taking you down. :p

Conway
16-12-07, 12:00
When I read the word "Velvet", I automatically remember Keeley's acting gig in a drama about two women falling in love. I thought you were pertaining to that when I read the thread title.

Angelus
16-12-07, 12:02
When I read the word "Velvet", I automatically remember Keeley's acting gig in a drama about two women falling in love. I thought you were pertaining to that when I read the thread title.

That was Tipping the Velvet.

Conway
16-12-07, 12:04
That was Tipping the Velvet.
Ah, there. Yes. The entire series was up on YouTube for a while (banned now due to copyright issues), and I really found it funny that hearing Keeley sing was like hearing Lara sing. Anyway, sorry for going off-topic.

TombRaiderLover
25-12-07, 18:50
I watched the DVD a couple of days ago. The transfer definitely wasn't perfect. :p Alot of artifacting, blurriness (leading to lack of detail), the colours were slightly muted and lifeless and the night scenes were way too dark. Still, it wasn't as bad as I expected, and doesn't make the film unwatchable. And it turns out the DVD isn't 2:35:1, even though the back cover lists this (incorrectly.) It's actually cropped to something like 2:10:1, if I remember correctly. ;)

bloodstormaoa
26-12-07, 19:34
I watched the DVD a couple of days ago. The transfer definitely wasn't perfect. :p Alot of artifacting, blurriness (leading to lack of detail), the colours were slightly muted and lifeless and the night scenes were way too dark. Still, it wasn't as bad as I expected, and doesn't make the film unwatchable. And it turns out the DVD isn't 2:35:1, even though the back cover lists this (incorrectly.) It's actually cropped to something like 2:10:1, if I remember correctly. ;)

I thought the picture was fine for such an old movie :p It wasn't remastered or anything so.....

And sorry about the aspect ratio, I was lazy and just read the box :p

You taking me down??