PDA

View Full Version : A piece of news to scare us straight

Little-Lara
17-12-07, 10:21
...or to make us laugh?

MODs: if story has inappropriate matter, by all means feel free to remove.

Original link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071216/od_afp/canadainternetdrugchristmasoffbeat

Dad sells son's 90-dollar video game online for more than $9000.

MONTREAL (AFP) - After catching his 15-year-old smoking pot, a father sold the hard-to-get "Guitar Hero III" video game he bought his son for 90 dollars for Christmas at an online auction, fetching 9,000 dollars.

The sale took place after the father spent two weeks searching for the video game for the Nintendo Wii gameboard.

"So I was so relieved in that I had finally got the Holy Grail of Christmas presents pretty much just in the nick of time. I couldn't wait to spread the jubilance to my son," the father wrote on the eBay website.

"Then, yesterday, I came home from work early and what do I find? My innocent little boy smoking pot in the back yard with two of his delinquent friends."

The man, a school teacher, who kept his identity private, said he sold the coveted video game to punish his son and discourage him from smoking dope.

The sale was a boon for the family's bank account, since the game the father purchased for 90 dollars (US) was finally sold to an Australian who plunked down 9,100 dollars for it.

The naughty son, however, will not go without a present on Christmas.

"I am still considering getting him a game for his Nintendo. Maybe something like Barbie as the Island Princess or Dancing with the Stars ... I know he will just love them," the father said, tongue-in-cheek.

:eek: :tea: I've never been through anything like this. Does anyone here have a story to share involving punishment with a videogame?

Voni
17-12-07, 10:24
Hmm... my mum did hide The Sims from me as I was playing it too much! But I think the issue here is, who has that much money to spend on a video game?!?

Little-Lara
17-12-07, 10:26
LOL. I know, :ton: :vlol: I'm speechless, but its sooo funny. All parents feel badly for using harsh punishments, but this dad is like: "hmmm, i can't believe i made a huge profit from it." :D

Molson
17-12-07, 10:26
Strange story. It's one of those win-loss situations, but in my opinion, loss overpowers the win situation, regardless of any money.

raiderfun
17-12-07, 10:29
Who can spend so much money for a video game ? :yik:

Voni
17-12-07, 10:29
Hmm. I think the dad was right to do it, if you find your child doing something like that you need to drive home the seriousness of it. It's like removing the TV in the child's bedroom on a grander scale. Bragging about his profits though? Wrong. You're not meant to take pleasure in punishing him!

Conway
17-12-07, 10:35
This is quite odd. First, the dad sees his son smoking pot, and he thinks he can punish him by taking away a video game from him. He sells the $90 video game on eBay for $9,000 and in the end gets a staggering amount of profit by simply "punishing" his son. Was this write-up really intended to be hard news? I don't see any significance in it. It's weird. Thanks for posting though.

Capt. Murphy
17-12-07, 10:42
It's not like selling his toy is going to make him stop smoking weed. ...This is the only part of the story we don't know about. Even if the father did get a rediculous amount of money for it (which is good)... Will he eventually lose his son if he get's into harder drugs or does something stupid because of impaired judgement from being stoned/high?

In my younger days I've lost my temper more than enough times. If I did something bad (like cuss or break something) I'd get punished for it (a belt on teh bottom). But I've never had any games taken away from me - that I can remember.

Little-Lara
17-12-07, 10:45
.....Was this write-up really intended to be hard news? I don't see any significance in it. It's weird. Thanks for posting though.

Not hard news. just news worth mentioning. :) I made a little change towards the top. ...You're welcome.

Ishtar Dark
17-12-07, 11:21
I read that in the newspaper yesterday! Very amusing. But don't you think having Guitar Hero III to play with would make the kid spend less time smoking pot? :) It's reverse psychology, but hey, it might've worked.

myrmaad
17-12-07, 11:24
No, I think the dad did great. Good for him! :tmb:

rowanlim
17-12-07, 14:24
the kid is messed up, the father was right to sell it back, my mom tried to get me to uninstall TR games but she doesn't know how, me & my sisters just play it discreetly until she forgot she wanted the games gone :p

NightWish
17-12-07, 14:29
:yik:

Angel_14
17-12-07, 14:32
the kid is messed up, the father was right to sell it back, my mom tried to get me to uninstall TR games but she doesn't know how, me & my sisters just play it discreetly until she forgot she wanted the games gone :p

I did the same a long time ago! :vlol:

But I got to agree with the father... I wondered what was the kid's reaction...

cristina8992
17-12-07, 14:33
I hope my dad deosn't hear about this or he'll start selling my games, too.:vlol:
Meh... The worst thing he ever did related to video games was threaten me that he'll break my TR:L disk. He hates guns.:p
As for mom... She's on my side when it comes to... Umm... Everything.

Rexie
17-12-07, 15:40
I am still considering getting him a game for his Nintendo. Maybe something like Barbie as the Island Princess or Dancing with the Stars ... I know he will just love them,

:vlol::vlol:

this made my day *:vlol:*

tombraider123
17-12-07, 15:49
Hey, he got $9000 from it, he might aswell just get his son something good, even if he was smoking pot.

_Lam
17-12-07, 15:56
Yeah it's from the Quebecer newspaper : Le Soleil (The Sunshine).
I read it yesterday. Pretty funny.

laras_2006
17-12-07, 16:20
All parents feel badly for using harsh punishments, but this dad is like: "hmmm, i can't believe i made a huge profit from it."

:vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol:

My God. I just wish I was that guy. nine grand for a videogame. I wonder what the makers of the game are thinking now.

ajrich17901
17-12-07, 16:30
Hahaha my dad would never do something like that to me he has to much of a big soft heart gotta love a dad who spends $300 for a dreamcast and resident evil code veronica the same day for me lol :jmp:

Dark Lugia 2
17-12-07, 16:31
What an awsome father! :vlol: must be good at sales, getting that :p

Grenade
17-12-07, 17:17
LOL, I heard about this too! I think he was right to do it though, hopefully the son would stop too.

laracroft2122
17-12-07, 17:39
Well, all parents will be doing this now as a punishment.

Paperdoll
17-12-07, 18:07
That father is my idol now :D serves the kid right :p

myrmaad
17-12-07, 18:13
hmm, I have a Guitar Heroes III *brain sizzles*

maximum_123
17-12-07, 19:14
No waayyy! *Sells GH3*

tlr online
17-12-07, 19:16
...or to make us laugh?

MODs: if story has inappropriate matter, by all means feel free to remove.

Original link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071216/od_afp/canadainternetdrugchristmasoffbeat

:eek: :tea: I've never been through anything like this. Does anyone here have a story to share involving punishment with a videogame?

:vlol:

True or not, I love it. LOL!

TombRaiderLover
17-12-07, 19:42
hmm, I have a Guitar Heroes III *brain sizzles*

Sell it. :p

danitiwa
17-12-07, 20:04
That's disturbing.

star girl
17-12-07, 20:12
Haha! :vlol:

remote91
17-12-07, 20:50
Ha thats an awesome story.

Sir Croft
17-12-07, 21:30
Now he should thank his son for smoking... :p

coolezpunk
18-12-07, 00:45
Oooh, that boy has been naughty this year, so he did deserve not getting what he wanted. I guess it's fair! Honestly, his dad was pretty nice compared to what my mom would have done when she catches me smoking pot (I don't smoke pot, btw, I was just proving a point) :yik: :D

Shark_Blade
18-12-07, 01:09
I heard somewhere that parents should try to punish little children by erasing their memory card.

That'll surely scare me to death, all those long hours of gameplay and you'll have to start everyhting from scratch. :p

oocladableeblah
18-12-07, 01:11
LOL. I know, :ton: :vlol: I'm speechless, but its sooo funny. All parents feel badly for using harsh punishments, but this dad is like: "hmmm, i can't believe i made a huge profit from it." :D

I know I would be like that :D :vlol:

xMiSsCrOfTx
18-12-07, 01:12
I seriously pity the moron who spent all that money on that. :vlol: