PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in karma?

Apofiss
17-12-07, 15:24
Requested by vespertea.

Necromanser
17-12-07, 15:26
What's Karma?

Betal
Nope I don't. Of course if I do good things instead of bad things then I feel better. But I don't believe in karma.

raiderfun
What's karma? :D

Rexie
what...?*googles it*

Dark Lugia 2
17-12-07, 15:27
Whats karma? :P

xcrushterx
17-12-07, 15:28
I neither believe nor do I not believe.

So, I won't vote :wve:

Mad Tony
17-12-07, 15:30
Nope. Don't believe in any aspect of Karma.

ajrich17901
17-12-07, 15:31
Nope lifes life do what u want do what u will nothing will happen to u lol...well unless u steal my ps3 then there will be consequences lol:)

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-12-07, 15:31
I believe that you "reap what you sew" or "what goes around comes around"; however, I do not believe in karma.

Tomb Raider 5194
17-12-07, 15:36
I don't really believe in karma, but I'm not completely sure. X_X

Archetype
17-12-07, 15:38
I don't believe in it.

Alex Fly
17-12-07, 15:39
No. :wve:

Voni
17-12-07, 15:45
I believe that you "reap what you sow" or "what goes around comes around"; however, I do not believe in karma.

I'm with you Mel, I believe karma exists only because if you act like a git, you're going to attract git - like behaviour from others! I'm not sure if there's an existential meaning to it, however. I'm gonna stay open minded.

Jacen
17-12-07, 15:45
Nah. What goes around comes around, in my opinion... but that has nothing to do with karma. Does it?

danitiwa
17-12-07, 15:47
Not really, I've never actually noticed it occur. I DO beleive you have to make your own luck however. :)

Anajrob
17-12-07, 15:49
What's karma? :p

And I found the explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

MiCkiZ88
17-12-07, 15:50
I dunno. Kinda yeah, kinda no, but more to the yeah. So yeah.

It's confusing and the poll should've had more options IMO.

pEhouse
17-12-07, 15:51
I believe that you "reap what you sow" or "what goes around comes around"; however, I do not believe in karma.

But that's exactly the thought behind Karma.

Ward Dragon
17-12-07, 15:52
I think that usually people's actions have consequences that reflect the nature of their actions. I call that karma, but I use the term loosely.

On a side note, I thought this thread said, "Do you believe in Karima?" and I was thinking that was such a weird question to ask :p

tomblover
17-12-07, 15:55
No, not really. :)

Earthcane
17-12-07, 15:56
Yessum, I do and I agree with ward Dragon.

I also believe that evil deeds will rebound on the doer of those deeds :mis:

Anajrob
17-12-07, 15:57
On a side note, I thought this thread said, "Do you believe in Karima?" and I was thinking that was such a weird question to ask :p

LMAO! :p I think it would mean, like, do you believe she's a good Lara :p

danitiwa
17-12-07, 15:58
I dunno. Kinda yeah, kinda no, but more to the yeah. So yeah.

It's confusing and the poll should've had more options IMO.

Ditto. :p

myrmaad
17-12-07, 16:02

Actually, that's my exact definition of Karma. Seen it work thousands of times. My dad started instilling the belief in me from a child.

RAID
17-12-07, 16:03
Used to, but no matter how many good deeds I do, I always have bad luck following me.

MiCkiZ88
17-12-07, 16:04
Used to, but no matter how many good deeds I do, I always have bad luck following me.I dunno if I've done anything good.. but my luck just keeps getting better! :confused:

Chocolate
17-12-07, 16:04
As a Buddhist I do believe in karma, though I can understand why most people tend not to believe in it.

Some Buddhists say that your previous life's karma affects your current life, and your current life will affect your next life...but I'm not sure.

Kamrusepas
17-12-07, 16:14
Sort of yes, but I'm not ready to do the whole Earl-thing yet :p

Quasimodo
17-12-07, 16:15
I don't believe in karma - I've seen plenty of wicked people get along fine and plenty of good people suffer.

myrmaad
17-12-07, 16:18
The problem I have with "past" lives is that time is relative (see Einstein's theory of relativity). I do believe there is a phenemena that operates something like Déjà Vu that allows us to have these primal memories of other lifetimes, but not the way most people believe in past lives.

Reaping what we sew is a much more logical approach to life.

Say you do drugs and then go to jail. Duh. Reaped what was sewn.

Say you do drugs and life is hard, but you work hard to reform, and over time prove yourself to be reformed, then you get a decent job and start making some headway. Reaping what was sewn again. See what I mean.

Edit: I don't think "Karma" will protect "good people" from having bad things happen, there are random acts (of God?) that happen to test us. We are in the manifest world (a symbolic hell if you will). It's the school of hard knocks and all must pay their dues.

I also think that people who do bad things can put up "a good front" to cover their unhappiness. Sometime or another it will catch up with them.

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-12-07, 16:20
Actually, that's my exact definition of Karma. Seen it work thousands of times. My dad started instilling the belief in me from a child.

In a sense, but I believe in such because I believe in justice and that God carries out that justice. For example, if someone is ruthless, malicious, and disrespectful to other people, God will not bless their actions; on the other hand, the wrongdoings they have done to other people will eventually cause problems to happen to them.

That's why I do not call it karma, because I believe that God is involved. Moreover, in delving deeper, I do not believe that everyone has a tally of good deeds and bad deed in which will all be returned to them in the exact same way. It's not technical or mathematical; rather, the character of a person will ultimately determine what happens to them throughout their lives. Not to say that good people will never go through hard times and bad people will never go through easy times, but as a whole, I believe that good, moral people will be blessed, whereas the immoral will not.

There's my two cents. :p

PoetOfTheLife
17-12-07, 16:20
Anyone watch "My Name Is Earl" ?

Actually,I believe karma a little.If you be a good person,you can take good things or good feelings to other people:p Like:

If you be a good child,maybe you can see the Smurfs:jmp:

Earthcane
17-12-07, 16:22
I believe that you "reap what you sew" or "what goes around comes around"; however, I do not believe in karma.
I dont usually quote Shakespeare in my posts, but meh:

Macbeth,

Act I Scene VII:

" This even handed justice commends the ingredients
of our poisoned chalice to our own lips. "

Macbeth is saying that if he kills Duncan, then he will in turn, be signing his
own death-warrant.

So yeah, I guess i believe in this type of Karma- that no good can come from evil.

danitiwa
17-12-07, 16:22
Sort of yes, but I'm not ready to do the whole Earl-thing yet :p

Ma' name is Earl rox my sox. :D :vlol:

bloodstormaoa
17-12-07, 16:23
Nope.....because if I did, I'd expect a lot of people I know to be six feet under :whi:

myrmaad
17-12-07, 16:23
I love Shakespeare

myrmaad
17-12-07, 16:25
In a sense, but I believe in such because I believe in justice and that God carries out that justice. For example, if someone is ruthless, malicious, and disrespectful to other people, God will not bless their actions; on the other hand, the wrongdoings they have done to other people will eventually cause problems to happen to them.

That's why I do not call it karma, because I believe that God is involved. Moreover, in delving deeper, I do not believe that everyone has a tally of good deeds and bad deed in which will all be returned to them in the exact same way. It's not technical or mathematical; rather, the character of a person will ultimately determine what happens to them throughout their lives. Not to say that good people will never go through hard times and bad people will never go through easy times, but as a whole, I believe that good, moral people will be blessed, whereas the immoral will not.

There's my two cents. :p

I'm not a Christian, but that's pretty much how I see it.

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE! Sorry for the double post *self-flagellating*

Earthcane
17-12-07, 16:27
@ Bloodstorm:

Nope.....because if I did, I'd expect a lot of people I know to be six feet under

:yik: (:D)

@ Myrmaad:

Yes, ye olde Shakespeare rocks....

tr_mitch
17-12-07, 16:35
What's karma? :p

And I found the explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

LOL. I totally thought Karma meant something else and voted for yes.
But after reading this... I'd have to say No. woops-a-daisy. =/

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-12-07, 16:39
The problem I have with "past" lives is that time is relative (see Einstein's theory of relativity). I do believe there is a phenemena that operates something like Déjà Vu that allows us to have these primal memories of other lifetimes, but not the way most people believe in past lives.

Reaping what we sew is a much more logical approach to life.

Say you do drugs and then go to jail. Duh. Reaped what was sewn.

Say you do drugs and life is hard, but you work hard to reform, and over time prove yourself to be reformed, then you get a decent job and start making some headway. Reaping what was sewn again. See what I mean.

Edit: I don't think "Karma" will protect "good people" from having bad things happen, there are random acts (of God?) that happen to test us. We are in the manifest world (a symbolic hell if you will). It's the school of hard knocks and all must pay their dues.

I also think that people who do bad things can put up "a good front" to cover their unhappiness. Sometime or another it will catch up with them.

I agree. :tmb:

Dakaruch
17-12-07, 16:48
honestly no... don't have any reason to believe in such thing, as i don't have any reason to believe in any other kind of religion/spiritual beliefs...

Earthcane
17-12-07, 16:49

Yeah, good example. :tmb:

But what about those drug addicts whose parents were
addicts before them? Surely it's not their fault that they're
addicted. They suffer still from their parents bad Karma.

But hey, there are pros and cons to every belief :o

vespertea
17-12-07, 16:54

But that's exactly the thought behind Karma.

Right, karma isn't just apart of religion. Karma is the idea of "what goes around comes around."

myrmaad
17-12-07, 17:04
Yeah, good example. :tmb:

But what about those drug addicts whose parents were
addicts before them? Surely it's not their fault that they're
addicted. They suffer still from their parents bad Karma.

But hey, there are pros and cons to every belief :o

Ok, This is a good point, in fact one I'm well-familiar with as I've seen it up close and personal in my own family. The point is you cannot blame your actions on anyone else. Your path is yours to choose and you alone are responsible for the things that you choose to do. Certainly my sympathy is with a child for the sins of his parents, and yet, the child grows up and becomes responsible for themselves and their own choices.

You can either blame (weak) or you can grow up and do what's necessary to thrive (strength).

Earthcane
17-12-07, 17:33
^ :tmb:

Your path is yours to choose and you alone are responsible for the things that you choose to do.

Exactly, but i doesn't mean , IMO, that Karma can't interfere along the way.
I believe that in some cases, some events are just to big and uncontrollable
to come down to the actions of any one person.
I'm not saying I believe in any God either, which I confidently do not, but there is
definiely something there that we cannot control.
Call it fate, Karma, whatever.

DickDan
17-12-07, 17:43
EH, Hell NO

extragirl
17-12-07, 17:44
yes :jmp:

EgyptianSoul
17-12-07, 17:54
Don't believe in karma. Haven't heard or seen anything to prove it's existence.

Earthcane
17-12-07, 17:56
^You dont need to see something to know it exists.

Do you think anyone's actually seen the true atom with the naked eye? :mis:

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-12-07, 18:05
^You dont need to see something to know it exists.

That I can definitely agree with. :tmb:

maximum_123
17-12-07, 18:06
Nuh-uh.

Jack Croft
17-12-07, 18:07
Yes.

viper456
17-12-07, 18:08
No, if it did exist I wouldn't have to constantly go to annoying lengths seeking revenge on the idiots in my life, they would automatically get what they deserve :(

Ampersand
17-12-07, 18:50
I believe that you "reap what you sew" or "what goes around comes around"

About the same here. I don't really believe in karma, neither do I really disbelieve it, but I believe in comeuppance.

nick-xx
17-12-07, 18:54
no dont believe it :o

Aria
17-12-07, 18:56
I believe in Karma :D

MrBear
17-12-07, 19:25
More or less... decided to vote 'yes' :)

Legend 4ever
17-12-07, 19:33
It is not that simple, but generally yes.

FourBalls
17-12-07, 19:34
I wish there was an option: Undecided :p Honestly though, I don't know if I believe in it or not. Would be nice though, if all people who've done wrong got what they deserve.

NemesisxAngelus
17-12-07, 19:43
I wish there was an option: Undecided :p Honestly though, I don't know if I believe in it or not. Would be nice though, if all people who've done wrong got what they deserve.

Ditto.

Sure you can say it will happen to you if you believe in it, but that's with almost everything.

Seb_01225
17-12-07, 19:43
Nah. What goes around comes around, in my opinion... but that has nothing to do with karma. Does it?

yeh that basically is karma! well thats the whole idea of it!

da tomb raider!
17-12-07, 20:26
Not really...

NightWish
17-12-07, 21:07
I am hesitating what to answer. i am not absolutely sure which option my opinion counts for. I am not religious in any way. But I believe there is a higher force in world. That keeps teh balance (ever noticed how after a badd thing follows a good one and so on?)...

So I voted Yes

Aurimas
17-12-07, 21:10

MrBear
17-12-07, 21:20
For some reason, I think she is not that good as we see her... Actually I don't like her.

Who? :confused:

Pipolinne
17-12-07, 21:24
I believe you're fearing bad Karma in case you didn't sticky this poll,Rihard :D!

Geck-o-Lizard
17-12-07, 21:28
No, I don't. I do believe that if you do something immoral it'll come back to bite you later in one way or another, but "karma" implies something supernatural.

Andariel
17-12-07, 21:42
No. People get away with a lot in this world.

GodOfLight
17-12-07, 21:56
I know that like attracts like. Your thoughts and your actions will be attracted back to you. Wether you wanted to call it karma, the physics law of cause and effect, or the golden rule, it's all the same thing: like attracts like.

as is above, so is below,
as is within, so is without,
as is the Universe, so is your soul.

Tihocan9
17-12-07, 22:18
I belive that if you do good things and people know you have they will treat you better so that is sort of like karma, but I do not beleive in the cosmic thing were the stars knows what you did.

Mytly
17-12-07, 22:20
No, I don't believe in it at all. I don't think that people pay in any way for their immoral actions, nor that they benefit for their moral ones. I have seen way too many nasty people just go on being nasty with impunity, and just as many decent people suffering their whole lives for no fault of theirs. No, there is no justice, karma or whatever of that kind in this world. :(

findme
17-12-07, 22:40
Meh, what goes around comes around. **** happens. It's life, don't look for excuses such as stuff like karma or destiny.

thats what i think anyways - a load of crap

Shark_Blade
18-12-07, 00:13
I believe that you "reap what you sew" or "what goes around comes around"; however, I do not believe in karma.Agree. :) No such thing as karma in my life.

Lenochka
18-12-07, 01:39
Yes, I expect people who do others wrong to get what they deserve in the end. :)

Earthcane
18-12-07, 01:40
Looks like it's neck and neck now....

Twilight
18-12-07, 01:40
No. looks more like a lazy revenge.

CAISACO
18-12-07, 02:13
I might, if I knew what it is!

:vlol:

vespertea
18-12-07, 02:46
I might, if I knew what it is!

It's the idea that's like "you reap what you sow" or "what goes around comes around." You can be existential and still believe in this theory, but not everyone defines those ideas as karma, because they associate it with religions like Hinduism.

Little-Lara
18-12-07, 02:58
Nope.

The world is soooooo RANDOM that even if you don't do something to others, it'll find its way to you. Life is a mystery all together, so its better to play it safe and smart.

SamReeves
18-12-07, 03:09
I am of the opposite opinion. Call it superstition, but somehow I believe it. Therefore it's a good way to keep yourself in check so you don't find yourself behaving badly. Well at least not too badly. :cln:

khFREAK
18-12-07, 04:06
bad thigns happen, good things happen. doesn't mean that if you do a good thing something good will happen.

myrmaad
18-12-07, 08:18
^So you really have no impetus to anything good. Maybe if you did just do good without expecting something good to happen immediately you'd be able, over time, to see karma at work.

kryptonite23
18-12-07, 08:24
I believe becausae it already happened to me :mad:

ivannnnn
18-12-07, 09:08
Yeah. But I don't remember I did bad things or not. :confused:

myrmaad
18-12-07, 09:19
^If it was really bad, you'd remember it. I think you're ok.

Veronica Ma
18-12-07, 10:46
Yes.

Legends
18-12-07, 11:57
No.

Lara Croft!
18-12-07, 12:26
Νo.....

kooky
18-12-07, 12:42
Yes, I'm a Sikh. :)

Gregori
18-12-07, 16:28
No, I don't believe in Karma. I do think its a good idea not to be a total dickhead while your here on earth and that you be held responsible for your actions. I think being good and just is its own reward.

Some things are so horrible, there is nothing Karma can do to make people pay for them (like the Holocaust). We just make sure those things don't happen again.

JamesFKirk
18-12-07, 17:01
Well, not exactly Karma, but I believe that once everybody will get what's coming their way, so... I can say that I do.

ThomasCroft
18-12-07, 17:02
No, I don't.

I believe that life is completely random; that it is just a long chain of interlinking events which are determined by us and those around us. I do not think that events which are not 'linked' can affect each other, which is primarily the principle of karma. So if I hit someone in the face on the road, it would have no bearing on me having a car crash ten years later because the events have no influence on each other.

But that's just what I think.

Drone
18-12-07, 17:04
I don't see that everyone gets what they deserve so I do not believe

Sedge
18-12-07, 17:19
I neither believe nor do I not believe.

So, I won't vote :wve:
Haha, same here. :p

..just curious, why is a poll like this stickified? O_o

Veronica Ma
18-12-07, 17:27
So if I hit someone in the face on the road, it would have no bearing on me having a car crash ten years later because the events have no influence on each other.Unless of course that same guy recognized you on the road ten years later and was so upset that he accidentally (or purposely) smashed into you. :vlol:

Ikas90
18-12-07, 17:39
I honestly don't know whether to believe in Karma or not. My mind is very superstitious sometimes... I hate it. So I vote for the option "Not sure" :wve:

ThomasCroft
18-12-07, 18:01
Unless of course that same guy recognized you on the road ten years later and was so upset that he accidentally (or purposely) smashed into you. :vlol:

Then that would have been justice, not karma! :D :p

george_croft
18-12-07, 18:05
I honestly don't know whether to believe in Karma or not. My mind is very superstitious sometimes... I hate it. So I vote for the option "Not sure" :wve:

There isn't a option called "not sure" Saki. :p

domina
18-12-07, 18:28
I believe in it to an extent.

Thorir
18-12-07, 19:41
Yes.

Drone
18-12-07, 19:48
wow 49 vs 49 :D

Reggie
18-12-07, 19:54
That's a pretty even split right there. Very Interesting.
I believe in Karma by the way. Don't ask why because I've not got it fully worked out myself yet. >.<

Lara Croft Fan Joe
18-12-07, 20:00
Not really, no, I dont think of life as a set of scales labelled 'good' and 'bad', life is more complex than that

Mona Sax
18-12-07, 20:17
No, not really. I don't think you're magically rewarded for being good or punished for the opposite. But... I imagine most people would simply feel better after having done something good, or as others put it, being good is a reward in itself. Then, other people are more likely to treat you well if you do them the same favor.

trXD
18-12-07, 20:45
no

Anubis_AF
18-12-07, 22:35
Hell no.

Tthe Spirit
19-12-07, 05:50
Yes ofcourse :)

Cochrane
19-12-07, 06:09
It's a useful concept for choosing one's course of action, but I don't believe that there is anything actually enforcing it, so No.

Bowie
19-12-07, 06:29
I believe that there is some sort of balance built into the universe, so that no matter what you do [although I don't believe in free will, so the balance could all be very cleverly planned in its entirety...], you will experience both pleasurable things and immense discomfort to the same ratio as everyone else.

Zac Medley
19-12-07, 08:40
If Karma is a manifestation of "you reap what you sow," then yes, I believe in it, in the context of Christianity.

Catlantean
19-12-07, 09:43
As a form of divine justice, no. But as in "you get what you give" in context of human interaction, yes I do believe in that. It's common sense :)

bett
19-12-07, 15:34
I believe that you get what comes to you, so yeah I pretty much believe in karma

cristina8992
19-12-07, 18:04
I already voted for no, but today I met a girl who was in my class and used to be such a ***** all the time... Let's just say that now she has zits all over her forehead and gets really bad grades (she used to be the first in our class, straight 10/10). Guess mommy and daddy stopped paying for her grades.:vlol:
So yeah, I guess now I believe in karma.:D

Veronica Ma
19-12-07, 18:12
I already voted for no, but today I met a girl who was in my class and used to be such a ***** all the time... Let's just say that now she has zits all over her forehead and gets really bad grades (she used to be the first in our class, straight 10/10). Guess mommy and daddy stopped paying for her grades.:vlol:
So yeah, I guess now I believe in karma.:D:vlol: Hey, at least now that you're aware, you will probably notice it happening a lot more. Some will call it a weird coincidence or justice but doesn't really matter what it's called. :D

Larson_1988
19-12-07, 18:13
No, not really. But i do belivie that if you do something good it will pay of in a positive way later! So my vote is yes!

Yuna´s Wish
19-12-07, 18:14
Yes and No. But mostly Yes.

rowanlim
20-12-07, 10:51
Yes. Me a Buddhist :D

albert28
20-12-07, 11:36
Yes :) :whi:

Beanz
20-12-07, 11:36
Karma yeah...

This guy cheats on my friend and the next day gets hit by a car :)

So yeah I do :D

TombFreak
21-12-07, 20:21
yes!

Capt. Murphy
21-12-07, 20:32
I believe in Justice!

silver_wolf
21-12-07, 20:33
ditto. I don't believe in building up good points to get to a higher level of reincarnation but I do think that crap you do eventually catches up with you.

Lara's Backpack
21-12-07, 21:12
erm.. Yes and No? lol I cant exactly catergorise my belief in in to 'Yes' or 'No'

Sekhraider
21-12-07, 21:54
Sometimes.. I just believe in the phrase "What Goes Around, Comes Around..." or even my personal favorite, " Karma is a *****" :)